PDA

View Full Version : First Half Thoughts

Joe Hallenback
12-20-2009, 06:36 PM
It took a while for this team to really show its true self. I have to admit I was worried after the first 20 games. We were no way near a true Memorial cup team and I wondered if a huge shakeup was going to happen. But lo and behold the real wheat Kings showed up and have really taken off. Right now there is no one in the WHL that can compare with our top 6 and with the addition of Wiebe I would say our top 9 is much stronger than anyone else. By the end of the season we could have 8 guys with 70 or more points and we will have at least 8 players with 20+ goals.

Our defense has improved ALOT since the season began. Robak has been very good and Urbom has gone from being just ok to a stand out. Schnieder is a dependable safe player and Melnychuk is a incredible +24 and playing great as of late. Bestland and Miller have gotten rid of some of the lapses and riverboat gambler style while still playing physical. It is a Solid 6 and honestly only 1 guy away from being great.

Our goaltending can be great to meh. Both guys have a habit of letting in soft goals but both are solid goalies as well. The only superstar out there is Pickard and there is no chance that Seattle will deal him. One of these guys will have to step it up as the season goes along.

Alot of things can be said of Kelly M. Is he a good enough coach to coach a team to the Memorial cup? I think he is. I think he has a good knack of putting guys together and making them successful.

I think a special shout out to Kelly M and the scouting staff needs to be said. For a small team like Brandon to be able to go out and find so many players year after year is amazing. It allows us to make deals and not hurt our future. Case in point when you can find a guy like Rene Hunter and slot him in the lineup and look pretty good. That is amazing. We exploit our Manitoba connection and year after year we turn up guys like Robak,Glennie, Fehr,Lewadniuk,Bestland,Stone,Depape, and Ferland. None of these guys were drafted higher than the 2nd round and most of them are from the 4th round on.

To continue with the thought above is we are going for it this year and we have alot of damm good players on the way. Roy,Kuczek,Seaman,Conroy,Fransoo,Listom and Swripya are all the way and thats not counting the guys that Kelly will find out of no where like a Hunter.

sbtatter
12-22-2009, 05:49 PM
When we were awarded the Mem Cup I was hoping KM would hire a coach for 2 years, a big name coach who has coached before. And I hoped we would have traded away some of last years stars for help this year. I think we are short some effective 4th liners, happy to play that role. I'm starting to think we should trade for Raedeke, pop him on the 3rd line between Stone and Wiebe and roll 3 "mega offensive" lines!! Hale does nothing for me, i could see Ciarelli and Ferland as 2 of the 4th line, just need to add a banger to them.
I'd keep one of Schneider/Melnychuk , one of Miller/Bestland (probably choose to keep #3 and #32). Not sure there is a goalie out there that's worth the price to upgrade, probably easier to get a couple stay at home defensive d-men. I'd use Sywripia, Walker, Wilson, Sinatinski, Schneider, hale, Bestland and picks as trade bait. The 3 untouchables are Stone, Calvert and Schenn imo.
Thought I'd take a shot at placing the players in 1 of 3 categories. I still think Schenn and Glennie are far from playing with the effort they had in their rookie years......

Exceeding expectations
Calvert
Stone
Lewadniuk
Miller
Ferland

Meeting expectations
Bestland
Rajala
Robak
Fehr
Urbom
Deserres
Ehrhardt
Melnychuk
Schneider
Schenn
Van de Velde

Below expectations
Hayes
Glennie
Hale
Ciarelli
Sinatynski
Walker
Wilson

Trevor
12-23-2009, 10:52 PM
I generally agree for the most part. Here's where I differ.

IMO, Robak is exceeding expectations. He's proven himself to be an elite offensive dman in the WHL, while being incredibly responsible in his own end. Already he's only 7 points, and -5 behind his totals from last season.

I didn't really know anything about Rajala or Urbom going into this season, so I didn't have expectations from them. The only expectation I had of either, was I thought Rajala would start slow since he was coming off the knee injury. I thought Urbom started quite slow, but is coming around now.

Personally, I wouldn't be actively shopping Schnieder. Although I feel he goes quite unoticed most games, he plays a very good game in both ends. I'd much sooner see Brodie be traded if one of them must be. Even though that adds to the 20's for next year.