PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Aasman dealt to Seattle for Jonathan Parker

Wildeyes
01-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Ryan Aasman dealt to Seattle for Jonathan Parker
01/06/2010 12:25 PM

Raiders acquire 18 year-old forward Jonathan Parker

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan – The Prince Albert Raiders have acquired 18 year-old forward Jonathan Parker and a 5th round selection in the 2010 Western Hockey League bantam draft from the Seattle Thunderbirds in exchange for 17 year-old defenceman Ryan Aasman.

Parker, from Solana Beach, California is in his second season in the WHL, both with the Thunderbirds. In 40 games with the T-Birds this season, Parker has 13 goals and 13 assists for 26 points, fourth on the team in scoring, to go along with 16 minutes in penalties.

Aasman was the Raiders 1st round selection, 8th overall in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft. In his second full season with the Raiders Aasman has played in 39 games with a goal and 3 assists and 10 penalty minutes.

“It is very difficult to trade a character player like Ryan Aasman,” said Bruno Campese, Raiders Head Coach and General Manager. “But going to Seattle will allow Ryan to take more of a prominent offensive role. And we are very pleased to add right handed forward Jonathan Parker who has the ability to contribute to our offense now and in the future.”

To Raiders:

Jonathan Parker

Hometown: Solana Beach, Calif. DOB: Sept. 25/91 Position: Forward

Shoots: Right Height: 5’10” Weight: 189 lbs.

Year Team GP G A PTS PIM

08-09 T-Birds 65 17 22 39 55

09-10 T-Birds 40 13 13 26 16

WHL TOTALS 105 30 35 65 71

Playoffs

08-09 T-Birds 5 0 0 0 0

To T-Birds:

Ryan Aasman

Hometown: Medicine Hat, AB DOB: Apr. 19/92 Position: Defence

Shoots: Right Height: 5’10” Weight: 180 lbs.

Year Team GP G A PTS PIM

07-08 Raiders 10 0 0 0 2

08-09 Raiders 41 0 1 1 16

09-10 Raiders 39 1 3 4 10

WHL TOTALS 90 1 4 5 28

Wildeyes
01-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Tough to lose a class act like Ryan but he will be able to show what hes got

patsdude114
01-06-2010, 02:15 PM
This trade doesnt make much sense really when trading him to a non playoff team but then again sometimes a change is the best thing for younger players. Parker is in for a huge change tho being a california kid after playing in Seattle & now heading to northern sask in early january this poor kid is going to freeze to death lol & not to mention it is PA which i do think its a step up from PG or MJ

Wildeyes
01-06-2010, 03:26 PM
hopefully he has a block heater in his car LOL

Razz
01-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Farwell has a great eye for character players. The franchise develops and that's what Aasman needs. He will at least get to play his style, besides that's what got him drafted 2nd d-man overall. Campese couldn't figure this out. I am glad they traded Aasman because if he would have stayed there he would of rotted like others. Going to Seattle is a great fit . The trade helps both teams PA now with their situation financially and for a year or 2 offensively & T-birds future has gotten a whole lot brighter with the addition. Still can't figure out why they picked up Flette and now they get the Giants goalie which they need. I wonder how Flette feels, poor kid?

"Campese the short time frame manager" ? :laugh:

patsdude114
01-06-2010, 05:43 PM
hopefully he has a block heater in his car LOL

HAHAAHAAHAHAA that is funny.. but in all seriousness ya i hope he does too lmao but it is a quick fix to get 1 installed

EOK1
01-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Campese makes trades like he's playing NHL10 on PS3.

westbeach55
01-06-2010, 06:06 PM
we need a goalie for next year and he wanted out of vancouver and asked to be traded numbers look pretty decent

overall i don't mind the trades time will tell

Arthur Fonzerelli
01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Tucker is tempermental, he didn't get along with Don Hay because he would come to camp out of shape and didn't like to give 100% in practice. With Hay you practice harder than you play (or else). Can be a very decent keeper but hockey has to become his first commitment. It will be dificult on him leaving all the perks and extras that come from playing in Vancouver.

westbeach55
01-06-2010, 08:56 PM
not bad tucker chosen as one of the elite goaltenders at the hockey canada camp in may

Five WHL Elite Goaltenders to Attend Hockey Canada Program of Excellence Camp
May 26, 2009 []
CALGARY, AB. – Hockey Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Hockey League, has announced that the fourth annual Program of Excellence goaltending camp will be held at Norma Bush Arena in Calgary from June 11-14.

Fourteen goaltenders – 10 in the under-20 age category (candidates for the National Junior Team) and four in the under-18 category (candidates for the National Men’s Under-18 Team) – will get the opportunity to work with a number of instructors during the four-day camp.

All 14 goaltenders were selected by Hockey Canada based on evaluations done by Hockey Canada head scout Al Murray during the 2008-09 season and in consultation with coaches, general managers and team officials throughout the CHL. Frederic Chabot and Ron Tugnutt – who are the goaltending consultants with Canada’s National Junior Team and National Men’s Under-18 Team, respectively – will oversee a group of seven instructors.

UNDER-20 GOALTENDERS
Jake Allen New Maryland, N.B. Montreal (QMJHL)
Olivier Bellevance-Roy Causapscal, Que. Cape Breton (QMJHL)
Jean-François Bérubé Boisbriand, Que. Montreal (QMJHL)
Adam Brown Kelowna, B.C. Kelowna (WHL)
Gabriel Girard Varennes, Que. Shawinigan (QMJHL)
Matt Hackett London, Ont. Plymouth (OHL)
Martin Jones North Vancouver, B.C. Calgary (WHL)
Edward Pasquale Toronto, Ont. Saginaw (OHL)
Scott Stajcer Cambridge, Ont. Owen Sound (OHL)
Jamie Tucker Victoria, B.C. Vancouver (WHL)

tuffguy
01-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Tucker was at the same camp Stanford was at after his 17 year old season. Then Bruno sunk his teeth into him, and tada he is traded to our biggest rival. And since then he leads the league in every goalie category. So we keep Zemlak ( he was playing good, but is not our future). Then we give up a 4th for Flette, he plays 3 games and now will get shown the door, and then we give up a 2nd for an 18 year old from Van. We will see how good he is here. Van's team game protects their goalie to a degree. In the Stanford deal we get a 4/5 dman and a slug. I don't think either will be on the team in a year. IMHO.

So Stanford a 2nd and a 4th gets us Tucker, Wall and Yaworski. GREAT deals.

Now Bruno does the right thing and moves Aasman. Because it was so apparent he won't develop young players. Better to get someone elses older guys for our youth. No developing needed. I am sick of watching Hrynyk, Yaworski and Wall get the ice Aasman should have been getting. I'm sure Seattle will handle Aasman in a better manner.

Looking at Alan Caldwell's blog, we went from 3rd youngest team in league last year, to what I believe is now the oldest team in the league. And we are in 9th place and slipping. Shouldn't a young team from one year be better the next?

I am "thrilled" with the deals. They should get Bruno shown the door in short order. Then maybe we can build a team.

who has made more deals than P.A this year? and who is tanking?

Enuff said.

And this is my humble opinion. You guys go ahead and throw a parade for him. (Campese)

TinCupJoe
01-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Parker is Right Wing....Taylor is Left Wing....Reddin is Center. Hmmmm..would that make a line of California boys?? We could call them the "California Connection"! hahahaha.:)

westbeach55
01-07-2010, 10:36 AM
put tucker on the blades and he would look good not saying stanford isn't a good goalie. tucker is also a year younger then stanford. bruno sank no teeth into him tucker asked to be traded out of vancouver so was on the market and we made a deal. it doesn't matter if he says black you will say blue but i guess its your opinion just hope you actually go watch some games. stanford couldn't get the job done he needed a change in scenery and zemlak has been playing good for us all year now we have an 18 year old goalie to come in next year and has some good numbers. your always saying get younger but we also need to win this year to get ppl into the rink and develop some players. I guess you have your opinion but sure hope you actally go to some games

Tucker was at the same camp Stanford was at after his 17 year old season. Then Bruno sunk his teeth into him, and tada he is traded to our biggest rival. And since then he leads the league in every goalie category. So we keep Zemlak ( he was playing good, but is not our future). Then we give up a 4th for Flette, he plays 3 games and now will get shown the door, and then we give up a 2nd for an 18 year old from Van. We will see how good he is here. Van's team game protects their goalie to a degree. In the Stanford deal we get a 4/5 dman and a slug. I don't think either will be on the team in a year. IMHO.

So Stanford a 2nd and a 4th gets us Tucker, Wall and Yaworski. GREAT deals.

Now Bruno does the right thing and moves Aasman. Because it was so apparent he won't develop young players. Better to get someone elses older guys for our youth. No developing needed. I am sick of watching Hrynyk, Yaworski and Wall get the ice Aasman should have been getting. I'm sure Seattle will handle Aasman in a better manner.

Looking at Alan Caldwell's blog, we went from 3rd youngest team in league last year, to what I believe is now the oldest team in the league. And we are in 9th place and slipping. Shouldn't a young team from one year be better the next?

I am "thrilled" with the deals. They should get Bruno shown the door in short order. Then maybe we can build a team.

who has made more deals than P.A this year? and who is tanking?

Enuff said.

And this is my humble opinion. You guys go ahead and throw a parade for him. (Campese)

westbeach55
01-07-2010, 10:42 AM
we also got a fifth round pick in the aasman deal

tuffguy
01-07-2010, 10:48 AM
the 5th in the Aasman deal is great. I am still concerned about the 4th we gave up for Flette. Is there a plan here? One of the youngest teams in the league last year and now I think we are oldest. After next year, when deck, Rowley and Button are gone who is our puck moving dmen? Oh right, he is in Seatlle now--getting an opportunity. Watching this is funny as it unfolds. WHAT is the plan here?

westbeach55
01-07-2010, 11:11 AM
not much difference between a 4th and 5th round pick you can get alot of good guys late in the whl draft weal, eberle to name a couple.

tuffguy
01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Think about it. 2 months ago Campese gave up a 4th for Flette. He played 6 games for the Raiders. A 4th for 385 min. Brutal. Squandered pick. The 5th we got it legit. We gave up a good player to get a decent player and a pick. We should have all of those assets. This is called managing your roster, protected list and picks. You never see Brandon or Calgary or the like make deals like this. and you never see those organizations go from being one of the youngest to the oldest in 6 months either. On top of it all, with our suddenly old team, we will probably miss the playoffs.

westbeach55
01-07-2010, 11:29 AM
were out of the playoffs cause we traded aasman and a draft pick. we got younger in net and added a forward who could be with us for 2 more years

westbeach55
01-07-2010, 11:32 AM
a 4th round pick isn't going to make or break us, tucker wasn't available when we picked up flette and if he didn't ask to be traded he wouldn't be going anywhere

tuffguy
01-07-2010, 11:57 AM
If we were offered a 4th for Herle we would take it without thinking about it. Anytime you get grossly overpaid for one of your assets you do the deal and fill the hole left behind at a later time. Van did that with Tucker. Maybe he asked for a deal I don't know, but if he wanted out of Van they could have gotten him for a 4th. Oh maybe not, because Bruno already set the bar for 4th round picks and goalies when he paid a 4th for Flette. The way Bruno is moving assets, do you have any idea what we have for picks going into the draft? The Aasman deal is scarey. One, that during his 17 year old season we trade him. Two that everyone seems ok with that. He never got one bit better in P.A., maybe thats why we are ok with him being moved. That is the scariest thing. We move guys that are still young, should be good on their way to being great and no one cares. This is not how you build or develop players and teams. I never once said we are going to miss the playoffs because of the Aasman deal. We are going to miss the playoffs because of all the deals we have made. The only 2 deals in the last 18 months that made sense were McCallum and Hickmott. McCallum has been quite good (although our first nations friends aren't turning out in droves like everyone thought they would) and Hickmott and a later Euro pick (revenko) for the Raiders Euro pick to Med Hat (Kundratek), and this deal was essentially done by O'Brien as he was handling the Euro draft at that time. Every other deal since last Nov (08) I would seriously undue if we had the chance. He took a decent young team, and instead of developing it he is panicing, and has decimated a decent building point and turned this into the oldest team in the league. And it will not make the playoffs. You heard it hear first. Penner for a 12th, Persley for 13th. Yikes........If he keeps it up, I might want to field a team of players that he has traded or that have quit and put it on the ice to play the Raiders.

tuffguy
01-07-2010, 01:16 PM
that one is close for me. If Dobrowolski got the opportunities to play top 6 and on PP like Maylan, I think we all would have liked Dobrowolski more. I don't like the lack of fortitude Maylan shows at times when it gets tough. Deal is probably a saw off. Dobrow will probably score 20 + goals in PG with very little help, and no Connolly.

tuffguy
01-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Reddin will have to play allot beeter for me to like him over Dobber. Again, if Dobber was given the opportunity last year Maylan is getting this year you might have a better opinion of him. Maylan is now 9th on the team in scoring. My fear is, as this team gets older by the day, our play isn't improving.

tuffguy
01-07-2010, 02:33 PM
I guess we talk in different ways. You are talking in specifics, and I am talking about the big picture. I want to know what the big picture is in Campese's mind. the way he trades and conducts things, I think his big picture is a blank screen. What is his plan? Most teams you see who they are building around or what they are building toward. I can't see that with the Raiders right now.

domino
01-07-2010, 02:50 PM
I look at it this way Bruno cannot or will not develop younger players and has no idea what he and his coaches are doing,that is why they go and get older players who have had some coaching some place else and can make up for there lack of knowledge. I feel sorry for the people of PA because if Bruno is able to sink this ship like he is doing the once proud Raider name will be no longer. You build thru the draft everyone know that. But hats off to Bruno for not letting Aasman rot away for nothing like he did with PENNER. Before all the negative stuff about Penner gets said ,I know the kid messed up but Bruno could have gotten a hell of alot more for him a year ago then he did this year and that is sad for the organization that Bruno put his personal feelings ahead of what is best for the Raiders.

patsdude114
01-07-2010, 03:06 PM
Wow the way these trades are being picked apart in Raider land. I think they are great moves for the Raiders & there fans. But i am going to be afraid to look in this thread after sunday (maybe before) when the Raiders trade away Zemlak the only guy holding this team in the playoff picture.

tuffguy
01-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Patsdude, stick to your own sinking ship. there is no way these trades are all good for P.A. a 4th for Flette? A 2nd for Tucker? Trading away what should be a star in Aasman, because he refuses to develop young players.

tuffguy
01-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Stanford for Wall and Yaworski?

Dwight Schrute
01-07-2010, 04:02 PM
this is just getting stupid

aasman deserves more playing time.......... so a fair trade to get him more ice

as for the goalie..... upgrade over flette.... didnt like the flette deal so this could makeup for it.

Wildeyes
01-07-2010, 07:00 PM
so we get a 18 yr old Goalie with 19 wins for a 2nd round pick in 11

and we get a 5th and an 18 yr old Scorer with 26 points in 40 games and these are bad trades Will the fans of PA get off there high horse and say that this might be some good trades

westbeach55
01-07-2010, 10:05 PM
aasman said in the paper tonight he was having a tough time after the death of his father and a new start might be just what he needs. the trade works out good for both teams and hope ryan gets a new start and gets to play some minutes

Razz
01-08-2010, 12:32 AM
The truth be told , lmao

bigjimmer
01-08-2010, 05:41 AM
One has to wonder if Campese is going to be able to do anything right in the minds of some the bone heads on this board.

Can one of you naysayers explain to me how PA made a bad deal this time? Further to this, please provide me a list of coaches and General Managers who are available and would actually want to coach in this town with the likes of so many negative people like yourselves?

Last time I checked the Anholt days were sub par, the Clarke era was nothing to scream about and for the first time in years we are seeing progress...but hey, who am I to comment with the likes of so many great hockey minds on this board that think Andy Murray may now come here and coach, or perhaps Babbcok may be in the running after the Olympics are done.
________
VAPORIZER WIKI (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

EOK1
01-08-2010, 09:33 AM
One has to wonder if Campese is going to be able to do anything right in the minds of some the bone heads on this board.

Can one of you naysayers explain to me how PA made a bad deal this time? Further to this, please provide me a list of coaches and General Managers who are available and would actually want to coach in this town with the likes of so many negative people like yourselves?

Last time I checked the Anholt days were sub par, the Clarke era was nothing to scream about and for the first time in years we are seeing progress...but hey, who am I to comment with the likes of so many great hockey minds on this board that think Andy Murray may now come here and coach, or perhaps Babbcok may be in the running after the Olympics are done.

It's a message board and it's people's opinions..why even worry about it? Grow thicker skin.

nthestands
01-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Classy razz, real classy. Its easy to go and trash somebody for doing something when you do absolutly nothing. Grow up and have some respect!

Razz
01-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Classy razz, real classy. Its easy to go and trash somebody for doing something when you do absolutly nothing. Grow up and have some respect!
you mean lack of class, just like using players as puppets right Bruno Jr.

nthestands
01-09-2010, 08:54 AM
you mean lack of class, just like using players as puppets right Bruno Jr.

If you feel so strongly about your opinions, you should voice them to bruno. He is very easy to talk to and can be found at the rink during normal business hours. I'm sure he would appreciate your input and be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Razz
01-11-2010, 02:35 PM
we also got a fifth round pick in the aasman deal

Yes because Farwell knows what this kids potential is. Wake up you sound like Bruno.

Razz
01-11-2010, 02:41 PM
not much difference between a 4th and 5th round pick you can get alot of good guys late in the whl draft weal, eberle to name a couple.

I agree , but you guys canned a head scout a few years ago who did a decent job and now you have what I believe is a big management problem. Oldest team in the league now and next year isnt any better.

"Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one" just like the Raiders bench boss.

Why so many players quitting, not reporting? SAD

Razz
01-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Stanford for Wall and Yaworski?

nOW THATS A JOKE TRADE IF I EVER SEEN ONE, GOOD ON the Blades there.

EOK1
01-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I agree , but you guys canned a head scout a few years ago who did a decent job and now you have what I believe is a big management problem. Oldest team in the league now and next year isnt any better.

"Opinions are like arseholes, everybody has one" just like the Raiders bench boss.

Dave O'Brien..is that you? I would have thought by now you would have gotten over being let go. Weird.

Raider Believer
02-06-2010, 03:09 PM

You're worried about the team getting older ??? :confused: I would like to think most real Raider fans are more focussed on the blue chip younger players that are currently playing with honor and committment to the organization and great city of Prince Albert and who with the help of some more mature players currently have us in playoff position; 16 & 17 year old players like Harrison, Ruopp, McNeil and Yaworski. And then there's been the 16 year old call-ups like Williams, MacKenzie and Balson. These players will likely all be wearing Raider uniforms next season, and are proud to do so. Not to mention promising prospects like Winther, Danyluk and Stewart. I think Bruno should be commended for not rushing his prospects and still managing to put together a competitive team for this season. :) The individuals who don't want to report or committ to the Raider team, great, let them move on, and the team will move on. :clap:

Dannyboy206
02-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I like what I see from watching Aasman here in Seattle so far. He does remind me a little bit of Thomas Hickey. But a Hickey like Skilled D-man probably only comes around every 5-10 years. Ryan has a few issues where the other teams forwards skated around him clear in transition. I chock that up to being 17, and he's been "released" to be offensively creative by the coaches here - not much too lose so we might as well excercise that muscle.

Even Thomas had those moments where his defensive skills and size let him down, but as the offensive point man it was a little bad that we took and accepted with the much greater good in the offense.

Now we watch and wait for Ryan's offensive presence to blossom. I feel good about the next 2 seasons with that role filled by Aasman

tuffguy
02-06-2010, 09:56 PM
best thing for Aasman was to get out of here. It was obvious that he wasn't going to be developed here. Seattle knew what they are gettting (poor man's Hickey) and will take short term lumps for long term gains. Parker has been fantastic, plugging a hole on our 4th line with 0g and 2a in 13 games.

Raider Believer
02-15-2010, 09:42 AM
best thing for Aasman was to get out of here. It was obvious that he wasn't going to be developed here. Seattle knew what they are gettting (poor man's Hickey) and will take short term lumps for long term gains. Parker has been fantastic, plugging a hole on our 4th line with 0g and 2a in 13 games.

:) Hard to disagree with anything you said here. Giving away Aasman was not a great move for the team. We needed to get back a bonafide prospect. But we gotta be happy with getting Yaworski earlier this season. On a down note, my sources in Penticton tell me that Sutton a 94 d-man the team drafted last bantam draft has been struggling and has had a less than stellar season. After Ruopp and Yaworski we seem to be lacking in young d-men in the system. Overall, the team's forward prospects seem to be stronger than on the back end. Maybe this will be addressed in the 2010 bantam draft. :cool:

tuffguy
02-15-2010, 11:55 AM
trading Austin Frank hurts the future too. Big strong stay home dman. Skating needs to improve, but he will be better than Yaworski. Matt Waseylenko is a good size with good hands and skates well. I think he is a 93 and should make the team next year. Losing Aasman and Frank will hurt this team allot. No one will realize that for a couple of years though. Warg and Parker are not good enough to give those kids up. IMHO

Raider Believer
02-15-2010, 06:10 PM
trading Austin Frank hurts the future too. Big strong stay home dman. Skating needs to improve, but he will be better than Yaworski. Matt Waseylenko is a good size with good hands and skates well. I think he is a 93 and should make the team next year. Losing Aasman and Frank will hurt this team allot. No one will realize that for a couple of years though. Warg and Parker are not good enough to give those kids up. IMHO

Yup. Waseylenko is a big strong lanky d-man from St. Albert in Alberta. He also has a mean streak, played spring hockey for NAA Storm and coached by Craig Simpson for several years, a good kid. And IMHO Frank would never have played for PA, skating very suspect. I agree with you about Aasman though. Warg is/was an outstanding short term solution meant to help PA for this year's playoff run. :rolleyes:

Razz
02-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Yup. Waseylenko is a big strong lanky d-man from St. Albert in Alberta. He also has a mean streak, played spring hockey for NAA Storm and coached by Craig Simpson for several years, a good kid. And IMHO Frank would never have played for PA, skating very suspect. I agree with you about Aasman though. Warg is/was an outstanding short term solution meant to help PA for this year's playoff run. :rolleyes: Warg? He's big, not quick and lacked the physical aspect when I seen him play.

tuffguy
02-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Warg is big...........Good straightaway skater, but can't turn well in 1/1 situations. He can't make a play with the puck under pressure. He does have a very heavy shot. Outstanding? No. Probably not as good as Wall, and in my opinion Wall may not play as a 20 year old next year.

tuffguy
02-16-2010, 10:09 AM
this board is about opinions. And where a player plays isn't always indicative of where he is on depth chart. Sometimes your 4th best dman plays with the 6 guy, because 5 and 6 are incompatible! Like if Warg and Yaworski played together. IMHO that would be a disaster.

Dwight Schrute
02-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Hes the only dman that can clear the front of the net out of the vets and he seems to be real good on the pk.

similiar to hal gill ? good on pk good at clearing crease, lacks mobility but if you use him to his strengths hes quite usefull ?
in hind sight though i still think we could have got sbisa for aasman and our 1st import pick. add in frank even, portland paid a cheap price

Razz
02-28-2010, 01:07 AM
yeah the games gets old quick too

Raider Believer
02-28-2010, 01:04 PM
yeah the games gets old quick too

I doubt there's a hockey GM in the world who doesn't regret one or two trades. Its easy for us to rip some of PA's trades with the benefit of hindsight. But don't you agree that we should also give credit for the good draft picks, the good pickups, the good trades, the promising players in the system? :clap:

Raider Believer
02-28-2010, 07:01 PM
I know Parker hasent shown much playing where he is but I think next year on the 2nd line he could put up some decent #s.

OMG. If Parker is playing on the 2nd line then PA will be in huge trouble next season. Maybe that might work if he is playing with a couple of the 93s. But quite frankly PA needs to jettison a few of their over rated and under achieving 91s. :rolleyes: