PDA

View Full Version : LETH & EVT TRADE

patsdude114
01-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Lethbridge, AB – Lethbridge Hurricanes General Manager/Head Coach, Rich Preston, announced this afternoon the Canes have traded a conditional 7th round WHL Bantam Draft pick in 2011 to the Everett Silver Tips in exchange for 91-born Defenseman Drew McDermott.

McDermott, a 6’0” 180 pound D-man finished his WHL rookie season in 08-09 with three points (1G, 2A) and 24 PIMs in 53 regular season games and also played in four WHL playoff games with the Tips in 2009. McDermott played in 11 WHL games this season – totaling 3 assists and a plus-3 +/- rating before being reassigned by Everett to Yorkton of the SJHL. A native of Saskatoon, SK, McDermott has two points (2A) and 21 PIMs in 11 games with the Terriers this season.

McDermott should help to bolster a Hurricanes defensive corps decimated by injury, with both Max Ross and Derek Ryckman sidelined indefinitely and veteran Mike Reddington currently out with a nagging groin injury. McDermott is expected to be in the Canes lineup on Friday night as they take on the Prince Albert Raiders.

canes watcher
01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
McDermott has left the team. Personal reasons. Very good kid and his decision and the reasons for it show what a great young man he is. I wish him luck.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-11-2010, 05:02 PM
This now leaves us very short of Dmen still. Unless I missed something, we only recieved one new Dman yesterday and lose Sbisa. So with this kid going home we are right back to where we were about a week ago. We dressed 5 but really only played 4 Dmen against the Blades.
He won't come out and say it but this must tick Preston off. I wonder when McDermott let the team know. I would think not much before the draft deadline or Preston would have got more than one new Dman.
Also I think if I recall correctly, a Dman from Everett would not report to the Canes in the Beach trade. I guess no more trades for Everett Dman eh!

CanesCrazy
01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
McDermott has left the team. Personal reasons. Very good kid and his decision and the reasons for it show what a great young man he is. I wish him luck.

You obviously have a connection with this young man as you seem to know what happened and why. I am sure his reasons are justified. But like Hurricane's Rock, I am willing to bet that his announcement of this decision left precious little time for Preston to do much about it.

canes watcher
01-11-2010, 11:47 PM
It doesn't tick Preston off. I think very little ticks Preston off. The kid's got a family issue -- sickness, I believe -- and wants to be close to home. My understanding is he's still on the list and you never know.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
01-12-2010, 03:56 PM
The last person expecting McDermott's move was Preston. It came close to the final bell of the trade deadline, leaving Preston little time to react. In fact he almost had a deal in place but time had elapsed. My understanding is that he wanted to be close to his grandfather who is quite ill. The Canes have left him on their list. I highly doubt Preston would cut player from the list for a reason like McDermott's.

:groovy:
PLAYOFFS OUT OF THE PICTURE=MORE ICE TIME FOR THE KIDS!

Bare Bear
01-13-2010, 12:57 AM
vc124With McDermott's early exit from the Hurricane roster, I am curious, if there are provisions in the trade that we get our draft pick back if he doesn't come back. Everett must have known where he stood at the time of the trade. If not, this shows that somebody on the Hurricane executive dropped the ball on this one. Before you trade for somebody you always get permission to talk to the player to see if he will even report. There has to be some recourse for the Hurricanes in a case like this. "Conditional" can mean almost anything. Although it is only a draft pick (even though it is a late pick) is pretty expensive for one game in the dub. How much time can elapse before this is considered a done deal? Hey, we are desperate for D men at the deadline, we must dig deeper to see if trades such as these will indeed help the team. I am disappointed that this was not researched properly. Trades for the sake of making trades is simply not acceptable.

I would have loved to have been on the extension listening to the deals offered by other teams for Luca. After seeing what happened with Drew, I can't help but think we could have done better that the deal that Portland offered and we accepted. I just hope that future deals are better for the Hurricanes

BB

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-13-2010, 02:25 PM
vc124With McDermott's early exit from the Hurricane roster, I am curious, if there are provisions in the trade that we get our draft pick back if he doesn't come back. Everett must have known where he stood at the time of the trade. If not, this shows that somebody on the Hurricane executive dropped the ball on this one. Before you trade for somebody you always get permission to talk to the player to see if he will even report. There has to be some recourse for the Hurricanes in a case like this. "Conditional" can mean almost anything. Although it is only a draft pick (even though it is a late pick) is pretty expensive for one game in the dub. How much time can elapse before this is considered a done deal? Hey, we are desperate for D men at the deadline, we must dig deeper to see if trades such as these will indeed help the team. I am disappointed that this was not researched properly. Trades for the sake of making trades is simply not acceptable.

I would have loved to have been on the extension listening to the deals offered by other teams for Luca. After seeing what happened with Drew, I can't help but think we could have done better that the deal that Portland offered and we accepted. I just hope that future deals are better for the Hurricanes
BB

Conditional usually means how many games a player plays or if he comes back as a 20 year old etc. I am sure if he never plays for the Canes again we won't have to pay Everett anything.
Your comment on the Sbisa trade baffles me. It sounds like you are saying Preston took the second or third best deal he was offered. :confused: Obviously that makes no sense. I am sure what the Canes recieved for Luca was the best deal we were offered. Rather than a bunch of 2nd or 3rd round picks which might sound good, we have 2 players we know can play in this league. We desperately need bodies who can play now. Preston has gotten a lot of 17 yr olds who you can coach and improve greatly in the next 2 to 3 yrs. This team has to set it sights on 2 and 3 yrs from now. Draft picks are a crap shoot and don't help the team very much for around 4 years.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
01-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Trades for the sake of making trades is simply not acceptable.

BB

I highly doubt that Preston, Robson and Sutter would say, we need to trade just to have a trade. Any deals that they have made have all been solid trades that have benefited the club for the future. I would also think that they would have done their "homework" on McDermott. Preston is a very methodical person and he and his staff would have checked it out first.

As for the Sbisa deal could have been better, well since you were not on the phone listening to the deals, then you would have to trust that the best deal was made. Don't forget, Sbisa is injured and there is no definite date on his return. When he does return, depending on the timing, he will be off to the Olympics to try and make the roster of Switzerland. Which means he comes back to Portland with about 7-8 games left and the playoffs. Portland gave up a lot for Sbisa, not as much as Brandon (a lot of pressure on them as Mem Cup hosts) gave up for Hammonic. Since we do not know the other deals that were offered we have to take it as the best deal possible. There were other clubs interested, but their "low ball and conditional offers" led to the Portland deal. We now have two young promising players who are going to be here for 2-3 years.

:groovy:
IT'S EASY TO COMPLAIN WHEN YOU ARE NOT IN THE OTHER GUY'S SHOES

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-14-2010, 04:31 PM
It doesn't tick Preston off. I think very little ticks Preston off. The kid's got a family issue -- sickness, I believe -- and wants to be close to home. My understanding is he's still on the list and you never know.
Preston on the last Canes pre-game show said McDermott let him know Sunday morning. You say he was not ticked but Preston's exact words were he "he was shocked." Probably ticked off to but he won't say that.