PDA

View Full Version : Rockets make several moves at deadline

Malc
01-10-2010, 07:47 PM
The Kelowna Rockets would like to announce several roster moves made at the WHL trade deadline on Sunday.

The Rockets have acquired 20-year-old defenceman Dallas Jackson from the Prince George Cougars for 20-year-old Tyler Halliday and a third round WHL bantam draft pick in 2011. Jackson currently leads Prince George in scoring with 29 points in 29 games. He was one of just two players with a plus rating on the Cougars this season. A native of Edson, Alberta, the 6-foot-2, 187 pound Jackson is in his third WHL season and has played with Regina, Red Deer and Prince George.

“We had to find an older defenceman to stabilize our group,” said Bruce Hamilton, the Rockets general manager and president. “We needed somebody to play with Tyson Barrie and Collin Bowman. Jackson will help the power play immediately. He has to be a positive influence on the back end.”

To make room for Jackson the Rockets traded defenceman Kyle Verdino to the Swift Current Broncos in exchange for a 5th round draft pick in the 2011 WHL bantam draft.

“With Jackson coming in it was a numbers game and I think Kyle is ready for a fresh start,” said Hamilton. “He’s a solid young man that I really hope does well in Swift Current.”

The Rockets made two other moves on the WHL trade deadline:
-The Rockets acquired 17-year-old centre Sean Aschim from the Prince Albert Raiders in exchange for a 6th round WHL bantam draft pick. A 5-foot-11 172 pound centre, Aschim has scored four points in 26 games as a rookie with the Raiders but is a top prospect. A native of Saskatoon, Aschim had 16 goals, 36 assists and 52 points in 42 games in the SMML last season.

-The Rockets also acquired the rights to Colton Sissons, a 16-year-old list forward, along with a third round WHL bantam draft pick in 2011, from the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for Curt Gogol. Sissons has 17 points in 43 games so far this season with the BCHL’s Westside Warriors. Last year with the BC MML’s Vancouver Northwest Giants, the 5-foot-11 right winger had 54 points in 39 games.

“We still feel this division is wide open and with our injured veterans coming back to the our lineup soon, we’re excited about the additions we’ve made,” said Hamilton.

http://www.kelownarockets.com/hockey/news-display.php?section_id=2&public_id=1625

west coast
01-10-2010, 08:16 PM
any chance Sissons will play will the Rockets or does he have sights set on ncaa

Trav
01-10-2010, 08:42 PM
All indications point to him going NCAA, im guessin thats why the Blades get a conditional pick is if he decides to report, if he does, that conditional pick better be good.

Rocketsfan
01-10-2010, 11:30 PM
I can't wait to see Dallas Jackson play. I see him, at least to begin with, most likely being paired with Tyson Barrie as our top defensive unit considering Jackson has plenty of experience at the WHL level and shoots left whereas Barrie shoots right. Seems perfect to me at the moment. Just gotta wait and see what Huska does and how their chemistry is.

Malc
01-14-2010, 02:59 PM
By Pieter Uni

The Westside Warriors and the Kelowna Rockets could clash over where top prospect Colton Sissons plays next season.

The Rockets acquired the rights to Sissons, a 16-year-old list forward who plays in the BCHL with the Warriors, from the Saskatoon Blades in exchange for Curt Gogol.

The deal, which also saw the Rockets acquire a third round WHL bantam draft pick in 2011 from the Blades, means Sissons will most likely be playing in the Okanagan next year, but in what league remains a mystery.

Kelowna Rockets GM Bruce Hamilton said he fully expects Sissons to join his Rockets.

“I would’t have traded for him if I didn’t think he was going to play for us next year,” said Hamilton. “Colton was a priority in the deal. We really like him as a player, we watched him and our scouting was very high on him and so was Saskatoon.”

Hamilton said he doesn’t see any conflict arising between the Rockets and Warriors, despite the two teams both having plans for Sissons next year. Sissons’ options are the stuff of many debates in Canada about the benefits of either league. Major junior is a choice of many Canadian kids, believed to be the most direct route to the NHL, while Junior A supporters are typically looking to hefty scholarships at major American colleges and universities.

Sissons marks the first time the Rockets and Warriors have entered the debate with the same player.

“I don’t know what is going to happen next year, but we want the best for Colton,” said Warriors head coach Darren Yopyk. “I wanted to ensure that he knew that he would be here all year long next year.”

Yopyk said he understands why Hamilton is so keen on Sissons.

“I don’t blame Bruce for wanting Sissons, I want him too. These are young guys, they aren’t pieces of property and we want the best for them,” said Yopyk. “So we will see which route is best for him. If he wants to go the WHL, then he’ll play for the Rockets. If he wants to go to college, then he will play for us.”

Sissons, however, isn’t saying yet what he wants to do. The Warriors declined to make Sissons available for comment.

Sissons has 17 points in 43 games so far this season with the Westside Warriors.

http://www.kelowna.com/2010/01/12/warriors-colton-sissons-future-in-doubt/