PDA

View Full Version : The 2nd annual "Regina Pats: Race for the playoffs"

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-12-2010, 01:12 AM
OK, so heres the score. Right now the pats are nearly 5 games/10 points out of a playoff spot, and thanks to our buddy brent, we might have a chance to maybe be a playoff team this year(at the expense of years to come...). Ive accepted the negative parts about the trade for now...so lets try to live in the now.

Whether you like this team or not, it looks like the group we have now is much better than our record may suggest...and its up to them to play proportionately better compared to how we played on the road recently. We have a much better record as a full lineup, and certainly look like a stronger team than we did before Jordan and Colten left(and players got injured).

Honestly, I like alot of things about this current team. Mappin, despite his bad rep, has some skill and smarts. The points will come, but he is a saavy winger. Ashton is a smart offensive player and a complete tank. Dominates the boards, and with his combination of size, skill and skating is a force. A true power forward. Orfino is my kind of player, like a bigger kirt hill that is always buzzing. I also really like Spooner, great young defensive pickup... and I admit this was good asset management trading Tendler who wasnt going to play much here. I like the things Ive heard about McColm. Tough guy, will drop em. Playoff experience. Delahey hasnt been at his best this year, it was the right thing to move him. Perhaps it would be smart to hold out on handing out all the 'A's, as this guy is likely going to be a team leader. Great stay at home guy.

Having Eberle and Teubert will make our chances great, but it will count on guys stepping up, and not being afraid to take roles. Hopefully our goaltenders come back from injury soon, as Im not always confident with Martyniuk(flashes of brilliance, but not consistant at all).

...anyways, heres the current standings.

05 Kootenay---- 43 25 15 1 2 53
06 MJ Warriors-- 41 22 15 2 2 48
07 SC Broncos-- 43 23 18 0 2 48
08 R.D Rebels--- 43 22 17 0 4 48
09 PA Raiders--- 45 22 20 1 2 47
10 Regina Pats-- 45 18 24 3 0 39

Lethbridge and Edmonton arent going to catch up, and if they do well then might as well pack it in. MJ is probably going to be out of reach, and they own us this year...hopefully we can squeeze out a win or two before the year ends. Kootenay caught fire while we went free falling, but they will likely cool down soon, and I think we can take 'em. To me, even if we are better than SC, PA, and RD this season, it depends how much help we can get from other teams. We can only hope there are the least amount of extra point games between these guys as possible.

We got 27 games left, and not too bad of a schedule. I think its possible, and with the right playoff matchup, we could maybe pass the first round for a change.

Boltz9
01-12-2010, 01:32 AM
I don't think you will catch Kootenay. Red Deer is going to keep getting better as the year goes on as they have got Ferraro back and will have Green back sometime so I don't see you catching them either. Moose Jaw has been winning alot lately even without Hamonic, we will have to see if they can keep up that good pace, if they do you won't catch them as they still have 4 games in hand. I thought the Raiders would be at the bottom of the conference this year and they were proving me wrong early on, but looks like they might have started to drop off, so they could be catchable. SC I'm not too sure about.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Hard to say. MJ does well against us, but arent the same world beaters against other teams. Their defence will start to feel a difference missing hammy and stanton, especially with average goaltending. Red Deer and Kootenay are both playing better hockey but things can change as the season goes on. Red Deer looks good though. SC and PA are catchable, though PA got better through the deadline. Perhaps Medicine hat could drop down to earth a little bit an join the rest of the pack later on in the season?

I feel the pats are better than a few of the teams ahead of them(as they should be), but who really knows if they are or are not going to catch them?

Crush Kill Destroy
01-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Regina actually has only 27 regular season games remaining, not 35 as mentioned near the end of your original post.

Makes the task at hand even tougher for the Pats.

Boltz9
01-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Hard to say. MJ does well against us, but arent the same world beaters against other teams. Their defence will start to feel a difference missing hammy and stanton, especially with average goaltending. Red Deer and Kootenay are both playing better hockey but things can change as the season goes on. Red Deer looks good though. SC and PA are catchable, though PA got better through the deadline. Perhaps Medicine hat could drop down to earth a little bit an join the rest of the pack later on in the season?

I feel the pats are better than a few of the teams ahead of them(as they should be), but who really knows if they are or are not going to catch them?

You can't seriously think you could catch Medicine Hat.

Joe Hallenback
01-12-2010, 10:05 AM
You guys get Swifty 3 times in the next 5 games. I would think you need to win at least 2 of those for sure.

Section Eight
01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
As a Wheat King fan and season ticket holder I say only this to all the Regina Pat naysayers; if the Pats make the playoffs, and they certainly have enough talent to be a playoff team, I'm betting they scare a lot of teams, including Toon, Wheaties, Hitman or Med Hat as a 1st round opponent.

They made a decision to buy and keep their guys and I say good on them. They're lots of hockey to be played, let's get on with it ...

patsdude114
01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
The Pats do have enough talent on this team to turn things around. Once we get our goaltenders back things should be on the upside. If the Pats bring the effort they did against MH with much better goaltending then Martyniuk is capable of giving us the Pats will have no problems at all making the playoffs. The only reason that game went to a SO & OT for that matter is cuz of Martyniuk he is not WHL calibre not even sure if he would be considered a back up in the WHL, he was on the other hand a better option then the Pats putting a 15 yr old between the pipes for the games he has played.

If Leffler can flip that switch & play like the way everyone knows he can play (& that is Pat fans & WHL fans in general) being physical creating space for himself, this guy can skate has a great shot & is prob 1 of the hardest hitting forwards in our whole conference. Strueby is now on a line where he should be & thats the #2 unit, be it as a LW or C this guy can get the job done.

I really wish Hunt would use Gustafsson alot more then he does he has pure skill but sticks this guy on the 3rd or 4th line game after game along with Hrcina. I dont even know why Hunt bothers to have euro's on our club he never uses them to what they are capable of doing. We can finally put out 4 solid lines (if put the right combo together) im not saying we have the scoring like Brandon, Calgary, Saskatoon & Medicine Hat but our players match up with Kootney & are probably a step above the 6th through 9th seeds.

Ashton Weal Eberle
Strueby Orfino Leffler or Gustafsson Strueby Leffler
Gustafsson Mappin Mitchell or Mappin Orfino Mitchell
Hrcina Mulder Rieder/Favreau

I have to agree with Parker i like our players our depth isnt as bad as people say it is we just dont have the high end talent like the Brandon, Calgary & Medicine Hat (im not including Saskatoon in the high end talent cuz there isnt high end talent they work great as a team & work hard every game) our defense is looking better since Davidson & Teubert have returned along with Carlson as well. Which was expected considering for a time frame we were missing our top 3 defensemen top 4 if you want to consider where was Delahey all season long.

I dont think there is a team in the WHL who has missed more key guys in the month of Decemeber as the Pats did. Yes some of them may not be key guys on other teams but on this Pats team they are very key guys & lets not forget that both our goalies ending up getting hurt in the month of Decemeber as well. Not many teams can rebound from missing Eberle, Teubert, Davidson, Carlson, Bell, Borstmayer, Ketlo & Guhle that is 4 regular defensemen (even tho two of them are 16yrs old) & both our goalies. I dont know many teams that can absorb missing that many key players in there line up and still be somewhat successfull.

The Pats havent played with a full line up since late Nov hopfully on Wednesday against Brandon the Pats will have a full line-up to see how they truely match up against 1 of the top dogs in Brandon, who we have played well all season long, two games were shootouts with 25 goals scored & the biggest loss the Pats took was by 2 goals. Yes we have lost all 3 games to Brandon this season the 1st game of the year against each other was game #2 for the Pats & it can be argued both ways that each team was missing there top players Eberle, Teubert, Schenn, Calvert, Glennie which was the only game Brandon has won convinceingly.

The Pats have 4 games left on their 6 game home stand Brandon, Edmonton & Swift Current twice i am thinking 3 of these 4 games are definately winable & beating SC twice would be huge in our push to make the playoffs. The Pats must approach these next 4 games as playoff games. See where you are at after these 4 games, i am thinking we will be much closer to that playoff spot by after next weekend. Which will make making the playoffs that much easier.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks. I was thinking about the NHL schedule of 82 games, for whatever reason thought 80 games. 27 games left is still decent time.

And I never said MH would fall behind the pats, but that maybe they would cool down this season and join the rest of the pack. Im surprised they are as high in the standings are they are now to begin with.

Heres hoping for our sake the best teams in the conference, calgary, brandon and saskatoon win their games tonight.

witness
01-12-2010, 02:07 PM
My thoughts, for what they are worth ...

1. Goaltending: The Pats need to get more consistancy from their tender. The new guy (and I am not even going to learn his name, because he won't be here long enough), filled a hole but is not the long term answer. Ketlo is a fine young goalie, but needs to be more consistant. Guhle is a project but does have a future in this league.
2. Defense: Was crippled over Dec from Hockey Canada commitments and injury. Delehay and Carlson played way too many minutes in situations that they could not be successful. The Pats had 15 year olds playing a regular shift. I would like to see them play Bell more. Yes he makes mistakes, but he is only going to get better. Spooner is a good pick up for depth and he will develop with ice time. I still think Davidson is the key. The guy has been gold (the best list player since Rick Rypien). Tuebert has been good this year. There are a lot of people out there slamming him, but they need to grow up, because Colton has. He is never going to be the guy to skate end to end, make a toe drag and score. He is the guy that is going to make the opposition pay a physical price for coming into your zone. He is a pain in the rearend to play against. He has been sticking to that role and he has been effective.
3. Forwards: The good, the bad and the ugly. First of all the good. Eberle is a world class player, and quite frankly glad they didn't trade him. Parker wouldn't know what to do with the draft choices anyway. The first veiwing of Ashton, I was not overly impressed (against MJ). But, the game against MH, I can see what the scouts see in him. Big body, skates well for a big man, adds a physical forward with some OK hands. Weal is a fine player on his own, but never gets enough credit because of the presence of Eberle. I like Gustafsson, Ofinio, Reider and Mulder. Now the bad. I can't understand why Favreau plays over Hricina. Why can't Strueby stand up? Mitchell either shoots high and wide or right at the goaltender. I like Mitchell's effort, but the Pats need him to score more. The Ugly: Which Leffler is going to show up? He has become very individualistic and can no longer seem to pass the puck. He is very effective when he plays physical and goes to the net. But, Leffler can't be consistant from shift to shift, never mind period to period, and game to game is out of the question. As a 20 year old, he really needs to pick up his game.
4. Leadership: Pretty much the same leadership group that hit the tank last year. Was it entirely the players fault? No, management needs to step up and take some of that blame. Tuebert has been named Captain, which I think is a good choice. He has shown leadership skills and works with the younger guys. A perfect example is coming over and giving Spooner a tap on the butt after Spooner served up a big turnover (which will happen with a 17 year old). The Leadership group did need a shake up, Delehay was the scarafical lamb, and add a couple of character guys to the dressing room. I hope it works.
5. Can they make the playoffs? I would say that the next few games would be the indicator. The Pats will need to start pulling off 7 (or can we dream 8)wins in the next 10 games. They need to start winning those one goal games instead of finding a way to lose them. The goaltending needs to steal a couple. And they will need to win a couple of games that maybe they shouldn't. That is a lot of things that need to fall in place. They do have a line up that can win, they just have to find the will to win at all costs.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-12-2010, 02:12 PM
I was thinking of line combos too, pats dude. The first line seems like we put all our best players on it, which might be better for the powerplay, but perhaps what isnt broken shouldnt be fixed. Plus Weal and Ashton dont have the same chemistry, being puck possession guys that both like the corners, than Eberle and Ashton. Also seems like the pairing of Strueby and Leffler hasnt worked all year on even strength.

Ashton - Strueby - Eberle
Mappin - Weal - Leffler
Gustafsson - Orfino - Mitchell <---very fast, but tough energy line
Hricina - Mulder - Reider
Parker/Favreau

Captain Teubert - Myles Bell(looked great against Medicine hat)
Carlson - Davidson
McColm - Spooner
rotating pylons

Hopefully our goaltending returns for tommorrow. The wheaties would probably kill us with the same goaltending performance we had against medicine hat.

patsdude114
01-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I do agree with you on the line things but it just doesnt work out well when Hunt splits up Eberle & Weal they are a amazing 1-2 punch they feed off each other. Weal doesnt do much without Eberle lets face it Weal is the playmaker Eberle needs, its like Gretzky & Kurri, Lemeiux & Jagr, Backstrom & Ovechkin they all feed off each other cuz there is a pure goal scorer with an amazing setup man (who can score as well) Weal needs that cycle play down low & Leffler doesnt provide that he isnt slick enough on his feet to get the job done.

The problem with having them on 2 separate lines then putting them together on the PP is that 1 of them is always tired from the shift before & is pretty much usless together then even on the PP.

I also dont understand how Hunt can play Favreau over Hrcina, heck Parker is a better asset then Favreau is. My what a waste of a 1st round draft pick Favreau was, if u were to do that draft over and still pick Favreau he would be nothing higher then a 6th round pick.

SAJ i totally agree we ned Ketlo in goal tomorrow night to have any hope in hell in beating the WKs or if not beating them at least giving us a shot. I truely believe Guhle is the better choice, i watched that game on webtv when the Pats were in Calgary and Guhle faced 50 shots he was truely amazing, he isnt as much of a project as some people think. I will say he was thrown into the fire abit too early in his WHL career which may of hurt some confidence. He is taking the same path as Josh Harding did as a 17 yr old. Chad Davidson was the Pats starter at the start of the year & by after xmas he had lost his starting role to Harding just by Harding putting together a couple strong outtings when Guhle gets back between the pipes after his return from injury & in his 1st start back i think it may make Hunt think about who is truely playing at there best forum for this part of the year. Just my thinking/opinion Ketlo wont be our starter next year, the way Guhle has progressed this year he will win the starting job next season.

Our defense looks alot better then it did at the start of the year. With Davidson turning out to be an amazing gem, the additions of Carlson & Spooner will give us a very solid blueline next year as well as the rest of this season & adding McColm will be very beneficial down the stretch.

I also agree with the comment about not trading Eberle as Brent Parker/Todd Ripplinger wouldnt know what to do with all the high picks. Well they wouldnt be that high considering where the team would of ended up in the standings & especially if they won the league that is the 22nd overal pick then not so great, plus the Bantam draft is a total crap shoot so ultimately you could get 3 busts with the picks u gained from dealing Eberle then that trade gets you no better its a risk & a risk im glad we didnt take.

west coast
01-12-2010, 06:13 PM
just wanted to address the imports on the Pats.Gustuffson has been good this season.He is flexible as he can play forward and can fill in as a defenceman.He has some offensive skill, skates well , has a determination to win battles, hits and has good hands.He is a little soft on the puck at times but he has done well as the transition from European hockey to the WHL must be immense. As for Thomas Hrcina , not really sure what he adds to the team - seems to have skill but is invisible in games and not likely to return based on his play and his part time role.Eoros should be impact players or teams should not even bother using them.Don Cherry might have been on to something when he didnt have any imports on his Ice Dogs teams in the OHL

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Pa and MJ win, but the broncos lost. At least there was no 3 point games tonight. If the pats win against Brandon, which is tall order, we can keep pace and gain a game above the broncos.

One step at a time...

patsdude114
01-12-2010, 10:21 PM
I must see completely different then what westcoast sees from Hrcina... he wins alot of battles down low due to his size yes he isnt as offensive as Gustafsson is but Hrcina brings a different touch to the game.. this kid can score but has never been given the chance to play anything higher then 3rd line.... there was times earlier this season Hunt through him out with Weal & Eberle & he worked well with them but after a shift or 2 Hunt put Leffler back on the line for what reason i dont know. Hunt just doesnt like euros plain and simple, yes at times they give up on a play but so do alot of canadian kids as well in junior hockey.

Yes Hrcina wont be back next season as he will be a 20 yr old & wouldnt be worth a euro & 20 yr old spot at all..... As for cherry & his Ice Dogs not wanting to have a euro on his team.... Cherry is a fool anyways & his no euros turned out GREAT for his short term franchise, CBC keeps cherry around cuz there broadcasts suck arse & people tune into Cherry just to see what the heck this guy is going to say next

witness
01-13-2010, 09:11 AM
The days of being able to bring over a top notch Euro are over. With the development of the KHL and the other elite leagues in Europe, the younger players are being given more of an opportunity to play at a high level at a younger age. The Swedish league has a number of 18 and 19 year olds playing. Why would the top end players come to Canada and play in the CHL when they can stay at home and make really good money?

patsdude114
01-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Ya i totally agree with u on that there will prob never be another Marion Hossa or Pavel Brendl in this league we will be stuck with avg euros at best, maybe they take off & produce while here after being here for a year already but the major impact of them coming over right away are done i agree with you there.

Joe Hallenback
01-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Not only that but many countries are having their players sign agreements that they won't come over and play in the CHL or they will not be able to play for their junior teams at the WJC.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Pa and MJ win, but the broncos lost. At least there was no 3 point games tonight. If the pats win against Brandon, which is tall order, we can keep pace and gain a game above the broncos. ..
Not that tonight's game is a 4 pointer, as Regina will never catch Brandon, but it is maybe the most important game of any the Pat's have left to play. I say that because this is a statement game. Are the Pats' gonna be contenders or not? Can and will they compete with the top teams? Win or lose, I think this game will say a lot about what happens next in Regina.

patsdude114
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
I completely agree with u HURRICANES ROCK & the Pats contained Brandon for pretty much all of this game... yes Brandon had 43 shots but not really alot of scoring chances out of those 43 shots, alot of times they were just throwing pucks on net just for the fact of shooting it on goal. When Brandon did have a scoring chance Ketlo was there.

The Pats worked very hard against a very skilled team, we all knew Brandon would get there chances. If the Pats bring that effort against other teams who arnt Brandon/Calgary/Saskatoon they will win alot of games hands down. I know im not much of a Ketlo fan but that game he really proved to me that he is capable of making a big save not only a big save but a KEY save. For me the key save he made tonight was when the score was still 0-0 & Schenn had a breakaway after his penalty expired. His key save on that breakaway lead to a break for Weal not even 20 secs later & Weal scored. Something that hasnt happened much this season at all.

Joe Hallenback
01-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Played a very physical game all night. If they can come out like that they will have a shot.

IF the goaltending keeps playing that way as well

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Pats win another, and though PA won again, SC and Red Deer both lost so we gain ground on them. 5 points behind Swift, and PA pulls ahead of Red Deer, so it looks like we are chasing those guys now. Red Deer is going through BC on a road trip, so our chances of catching up could possibly be higher.

Im not too confident about the SC game. I think we are the better club right now, but as a team thats won 3 in a row going against another thats on a losing streak and probably hungry for a win, it might be a tough game. Hopefully the pats dont go in too high after this win, and continue to play their game. If everyone is on the same page, we should win this one too.

patsdude114
01-16-2010, 05:13 AM
Im predicting Leffler has a big game against SC... he loves playing SC always seems to produce against them... he is due as well look for Leffler to big the physical game early.

The Pats are playing very well right now with alot to gain, Hunt has to keep them on a level keen here & make sure everyone is ready to go from the drop of the puck. I have noticed our level of play pick up alot since the addition of McColm, is this the true leader we really needed a guy to step up both on & off the ice? His presence seems to have ignited the Pats line up, the defense is playing much more physcial as a group. Just seems like everyone feels that much more protected out there with this guy in the line up. Yes we have Teubert & Leffler who rnt afraid to stand up for there teammates but they rnt true heavy weights/legit tough guys either.

I think the addition of McColm as well as the "C" put on a jersey has made this group tighter & no more pressure to try & gain that respect from Hunt to wear that letter. Teubert's play hasnt been effected at all by the addition of the "C" on his jersey.

Has anyone else noticed the level or play of Davidson has increased that much more since the new year? From what i see he seems much more patient with the puck & seems to be getting much more pucks through & on goal.

t-man
01-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Im not too confident about the SC game. I think we are the better club right now, but as a team thats won 3 in a row going against another thats on a losing streak and probably hungry for a win, it might be a tough game.

If the broncos play the way they have the last 3 or 4 games you guys will win..

aaAlta
01-16-2010, 01:36 PM
As a group the intensity would come up due to all the factors in play. They know a very good team might play in the .600-.700 range. They know they've been capable of that. But now they know they'll have to play like 700 plus for the balance. And beat almost all target matchups. And hope the targets (like RD & SC) dont do as well as their averages to date.

Thats desperation in play. Teubert and the As will be leading that. And the whole team will want to play now like they are down in the 3rd of a playoff elimination game. Each player will bring all they've got to that, on the ice and in the room. Teubert would always respond for teammates too, like they all should, team toughness is important. But scrapping shouldnt be something he should have to do regularly. Especially with the helmets/visors on rule. And showing discipline is going to be even more important down this stretch.

How do you explain Davidsons standout plus/minus to date? Its way above average. I guess that partially explains why he's 57 on midterm scouting.

west coast
01-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Davidsson has a very good plus minus .WHY? Davidsson plays with confidence.He keeps his game simple and makes high percentage plays.He is gifted offensively with a cannon of a shot and makes smart hard tape to tape passes.He reads the play well in all three zones.The big reason he is a plus player is that he doesnt make high risk passes .He doesnt try and force things.Hopefully Davidsson can learn to be a leader for the Pats and mentor the youthful defenceman corps as it looks like he will be the greybeard next year on the backend.

west coast
01-16-2010, 02:29 PM
whats up with Spooner? He didnt play last night, is he injured or was he just a healthy scratch - should be a dandy game tonight against speedy creek

patsdude114
01-16-2010, 03:34 PM
was just a healthy scracth to get Borstmayer in the line up... look for Borstmayer to be the healthy scratch tonight and Spooner inserted back into the line up as he is a much better skater which we will need against SC.

About those Davidson comments above, i wasnt knocking Davidson's play at all it just looks like he is way more confident out theresince returning from his injury then before. Usually players tend to look alot better after the xmas break they get to refuel there tanks & any good player will step up his game even more from all the coaching up til xmas break. This is definately what Davidson has done with his extended xmas break.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-27-2010, 07:21 PM
The stretch we are in is obviously important, but its just further down the wire from here. To even make the playoffs, we still have to play better than most everybody else in the conference. Its possible, but we certainly have little room for error.

Making the playoffs will really be all I care about. We dont have to win every game, because finishing 6th might not necessarily be better than finishing 8th or 7th. The pats have been on the recieving end on bad matchups for the last few playoffs, and it isnt inconcievable to suggest that if we finished lower one of those years, we might have matched up against a different team better. This year hopefully wont be an example of years past

Heres some (updated)stats from the WHL website, and some others from Caldwells blog:

M.J 48 25 17 3 3 56
P.A 51 26 22 1 2 55
R.D 48 25 19 0 4 54
S.C 51 25 23 0 3 53
Reg 50 22 24 3 1 48

__
What teams have to go in order to make the playoffs:
Moose Jaw Warriors: 11-13-0 (.458) (9 home, 15 away)
Prince Albert Raiders: 11-9-1 (.548) (8 home, 13 away)
Red Deer Rebels: 12-12-0 (.500) (11 home, 13 away)
Swift Current Broncos: 12-8-1 (.595) (11 home, 10 away)
Regina Pats: 15-7-0 (.682) (11 each)

It might play into our advantage that many of the teams we are chasing have more road games left, but we have a pretty tough schedule ahead of us anyways. We have to play 2 games again MJ right away, and as a team that has beaten us in all 5 games, it will be a challenge. Also a few 4 point games between these teams.

Red Deer plays Tri City tonight, best team in the other conference. Hope they play like it tonight. Mj is losing 2-0 against the toon squad, but we cant rely on other teams to help us out, with all these 3 points games happening all the time.

sbtatter
01-27-2010, 10:04 PM
The stretch we are in is obviously important, but its just further down the wire from here. To even make the playoffs, we still have to play better than most everybody else in the conference. Its possible, but we certainly have little room for error.

Making the playoffs will really be all I care about. We dont have to win every game, because finishing 6th might not necessarily be better than finishing 8th or 7th. The pats have been on the recieving end on bad matchups for the last few playoffs, and it isnt inconcievable to suggest that if we finished lower one of those years, we might have matched up against a different team better. This year hopefully wont be an example of years past

Heres some (updated)stats from the WHL website, and some others from Caldwells blog:

M.J 48 25 17 3 3 56
P.A 51 26 22 1 2 55
R.D 48 25 19 0 4 54
S.C 51 25 23 0 3 53
Reg 50 22 24 3 1 48

__
What teams have to go in order to make the playoffs:
Moose Jaw Warriors: 11-13-0 (.458) (9 home, 15 away)
Prince Albert Raiders: 11-9-1 (.548) (8 home, 13 away)
Red Deer Rebels: 12-12-0 (.500) (11 home, 13 away)
Swift Current Broncos: 12-8-1 (.595) (11 home, 10 away)
Regina Pats: 15-7-0 (.682) (11 each)

It might play into our advantage that many of the teams we are chasing have more road games left, but we have a pretty tough schedule ahead of us anyways. We have to play 2 games again MJ right away, and as a team that has beaten us in all 5 games, it will be a challenge. Also a few 4 point games between these teams.

Red Deer plays Tri City tonight, best team in the other conference. Hope they play like it tonight. Mj is losing 2-0 against the toon squad, but we cant rely on other teams to help us out, with all these 3 points games happening all the time.

You guys have made it interesting over the last 2 weeks, done better than i thought so far. Got to keep playing at that .675 clip to make it. maybe you'll get 8th and take out Saskatoon in the first round!!

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-28-2010, 12:12 AM
Not if every single game from here on out is going to be a three point game.

MJ loses in OT, Red Deer wins in the shootout tonight.

aaAlta
01-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Ya, really shows the parity in the league. Pats get a win on Brandon. Brandon squeaks a win in a great game on Kootenay whos been top end hot. Sask needs OT to win over MJ. Red Deer gets Tri in SO.

Still, if Pats can get the past 10 to show like 7-2-1 soon and keep it there down the stretch. And a couple of the four in front of them stay in the 5-4-1 range, then maybe they get a shot.

west coast
01-29-2010, 05:22 PM
The Pats are 0-5 against the Warriors this season but the weekend home and away series should be a good one.Are the Pats healthy ? The game is on shaw tv tonight .It would be nice if the Pays could get a split here .

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Pats faced them once with the new lineup, but it was right before we started to gel. I expect it to be closer tonight.

The goal is to probably take it one game at a time, but if we get 2 points out of 4 on this home and home, I think we will be happy.

Allin44
01-29-2010, 09:54 PM
big win tonight

witness
01-29-2010, 10:21 PM
What a great game!!

Allin44
02-02-2010, 07:33 PM
they need to play with a little more urgency than they have in the first 15 minutes of this one

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Alot of the main teams that the pats are chasing are playing against strong teams tonight. This could be an important night for the pats, especially if PA and SC lose their games. A couple days from now those two play against each other, and as long as it isnt a 3 point game, we can potentially gain more ground.

MJ plays Kootenay, and Red Deer plays Brandon tonight as well.

SectionNDeserter
02-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Red Deer plays Brandon tonight as well.Not that it means anything tonight necessarily, but the Rebels have already soundly beaten Brandon 3 times this season.

SectionNDeserter
02-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Never mind, looks like "Kelly's Krew" is doing everything in their power to tilt the game in the Wheaties favor.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-03-2010, 10:00 PM
looks like similar work took place in swift. I hate the broncos, and kind of wanted them to lose(more than usual today), but looking at the boxscore, they probably got robbed tonight.

And people wonder why Calgary is always 'contending'. Pays to be a big city team.

No real complaints from a pats fans perspective, except for the PA game. Blades wont be doing us any favors on friday either.

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
02-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Some_Arrogant_Jerk;146665]looks like similar work took place in swift. I hate the broncos, and kind of wanted them to lose(more than usual today), but looking at the boxscore, they probably got robbed tonight.

Papp and Dean were pretty bad tonight. 7-1 power plays in favor of Calgary. However, Calgary deserved the win. Clark played his best game of the season to keep the Broncos in it.

Allin44
02-03-2010, 11:44 PM
looks like similar work took place in swift. I hate the broncos, and kind of wanted them to lose(more than usual today), but looking at the boxscore, they probably got robbed tonight.

And people wonder why Calgary is always 'contending'. Pays to be a big city team.

No real complaints from a pats fans perspective, except for the PA game. Blades wont be doing us any favors on friday either.

Yes like that big city team from Brandon that gets all the calls.

It pays to have a competent GM and a good scouting staff.

Get over yourself.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Yes like that big city team from Brandon that gets all the calls.

It pays to have a competent GM and a good scouting staff.

Get over yourself.

Im not even talking about you anyways, get out of here.

But it does pay to have a coach that can manipulate officials. Im far from the only one that thinks that about 'Kelly'.

Boltz9
02-04-2010, 12:24 AM
Im not even talking about you anyways, get out of here.

But it does pay to have a coach that can manipulate officials. Im far from the only one that thinks that about 'Kelly'.

Whats the reasoning behind ('Kelly')... are you implying that his name isn't Kelly or that your actually talking about someone else?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Kisio and Mcrimmon.

patsdude114
02-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Kisio & Mcrimmon both scare officals... was the same when Bob Lowes coached in the league....

Also doesnt surprise me about the comment on Papp & Dean... has anyone ever seen Dean ref a solid game??? this guy has a power trip ego is by far the worst WHL ref in the Eastern Conference, this guy is prob 140lbs soaking wet couldnt fight his way out of a wet paper bag i could go on heck id even pay a WHL fine about critizing Dean's officating

Toswammi
02-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Kisio & Mcrimmon both scare officals... was the same when Bob Lowes coached in the league....

Also doesnt surprise me about the comment on Papp & Dean... has anyone ever seen Dean ref a solid game??? this guy has a power trip ego is by far the worst WHL ref in the Eastern Conference, this guy is prob 140lbs soaking wet couldnt fight his way out of a wet paper bag i could go on heck id even pay a WHL fine about critizing Dean's officating

Those two refs were brutal last night

nivek_wahs
02-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Hey Some Arrogant Jerk I just thought I would let you know that Sheldon Dean is from Regina (not born here but has been here for a long time). I know him personally and I would even call him a friend of mine. But he does know what I think of his officiating.

west coast
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
would it be fair to say that next years 20yr old players would be 1-Ashton 2- Orfino 3- to be determined. could the under achieving hrcina be back for more . which forward prospects will be developed enough to make the jump to the Pats and score some goals on the forward lines as Eberle, Strueby and Leffler are moving on - The Pats seemed to have traded away some good young talent.The goaltending looks good for next year as Guhle and Ketlo will be back as will be a solid tandem.Ketlo has saved his best hockey for the stretch drive

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-04-2010, 11:00 PM
would it be fair to say that next years 20yr old players would be 1-Ashton 2- Orfino 3- to be determined.

Ashton is only 19 next year. I think SAJ would have killed Parker if he gave up what he did for just a 3 month rental player.....:D

patsdude114
02-04-2010, 11:46 PM
would it be fair to say that next years 20yr old players would be 1-Ashton 2- Orfino 3- to be determined. could the under achieving hrcina be back for more . which forward prospects will be developed enough to make the jump to the Pats and score some goals on the forward lines as Eberle, Strueby and Leffler are moving on - The Pats seemed to have traded away some good young talent.The goaltending looks good for next year as Guhle and Ketlo will be back as will be a solid tandem.Ketlo has saved his best hockey for the stretch drive

Well it wont take much for someone to take the role that Leffler has this year for total goals.

As for the 20 yr olds.... Ashton will only be 19 next yr & so far the only 2 guys who will return as a 20 yr old will be Orfino & Mappin, Hrcina will end up staying in Sloviaka to play. Why would he even return even if the Pats wanted him too, i mean he hardly plays when he is dressed as it is. In my mind is a mistake on Hunt's behalf.

I do think Guhle will take Ketlo's #1 spot next year. As it is right now Guhle isnt much behind Ketlo in development as it is. But will be a solid tandem that is if we keep both.

I hope your right about Ketlo saving his best hockey for the stretch drive. He needs to do for the Pats to have any hope in hell anymore.

Oh & love the way Hunt defended himself today in the LP about over playing Eberle/Weal & Ashton.... good job Hunt you talk out of ur arse again. Hunt is starting to sound like the core group with the Flames with the scripted comments in the media.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-04-2010, 11:50 PM
He could have fooled me with the way he refs, though he did put a number on swifty last night.

Maybe if you ask, he'll tell you what Byblows problem is.

witness
02-05-2010, 11:53 AM
which forward prospects will be developed enough to make the jump to the Pats and score some goals on the forward lines as Eberle, Strueby and Leffler are moving on -
2nd line will stay intact (Ashton, Weal & Mitchell). Gustafsson has offensive potential that the Pats have yet to tap into. I think that Mulder and Rieder can pick up 10 to 15 each, if given regular ice time. Then there are a couple of prospects in Lucas Froese, Dyson Stevenson, Dayton Reinbold & Chandler Stephenson. There was also a big kid from Calgary, Michael Benson, who will be 17 next year that looked like he could be a good power forward in this league. And then there is always the possiblity of scouting a kid that isn't drafted. But, scoring might be an issue. Can they do it by committee?
The good news is the backend looks solid. Both tenders are returning and 6 of the 8 d man are returning. They will be pushed by kids like Hudson Friesen, Tyler Pavkovich, Landon Peel, and Sean Whelan.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I have a problem or two with tonights game, and probably a little overly irritated with things. If you arent interested in reading a couple rants, I suggest you skip my next post. Some probably wont be able to help themselves, but its a warning in advance.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-05-2010, 11:24 PM

First off, tonight re-affirmed why I hate the blades like i do. When they werent running goalies or hitting guys from behind(that was mostly Toomey, to be fair), they were diving and trying to sell penalties. I think I saw a couple from the pats side, but it might have been just an attempt to even things out. The only guys that dive consistantly on the pats are Hrcina and Mitchell, but the rest were uncharacteristic most definitely. Tonights antics were headlined by Wintoneak throwing his head back as if he got the stick in the face, but the stick was actually nowhere near him. I think it was Wintoneak. I also saw Hulak do the little Crosby thing where you try to split the defence and when you are in the middle of them you just jump through them, making it look like they hauled you down somehow. That one unforunately got called.

What a bunch of punks, and sorry to the honest blades fans but thats just how I feel. Its a shame because I love the toughness they bring to the game. In alot of ways, they remind me of the Flyers style of play...but the diving/***** antics and dirty checks from behind has to stop.

Though Im happy to see the pats battle back, i do feel we arent getting what we put in, and you can thank the shootout for that. You dominate overtime 2 times out of three, and you lose the extra point 3 games. If I seriously see another shootout tommorrow, I will straight up leave. Its apart of a flawed system, has no place in a club hockey league season, and its garbage.

Today also opened my eyes to something. Not only did we lose our top players for two games(while on a road trip, and being the only team in the entire conference at that disadvantage) to that retarded russia challenge, we lost them again to the world juniors over a stretch of 8 or so games. Thats at least 10 games we were forced to be short handed and couldnt do anything about it, and because of that we have to be pretty much the best team in the league to even make the playoffs. Sure, I know its expected that teams have guys step up and take their place, but its an uneven battle for many teams...and seeing as its a critical stretch right before christmas, there just has to be a better way around it. My solution would be for player's christmas break to be longer, and to make up for those games, end the regular season later. Maybe end of march, or in april.

On top of that, and Im not alone on this, we seemingly have to battle the officials almost every night. Dean was on fire tonight, as half the calls he(Zalaski mightve made 2 penalty calls tonight, the rest was Dean) made were extremely weak. With back to back 5 on 3s, the motive was as transparent as it can get. There is a code to adhere to, and apart of that code is that you dont make chincy little borderline calls to cause a 5 on 3, nevermind to create another 5 on 3. Unless its a penalty you have to call(something textbook like delay of game or something with excessive force), you let it go. Its shows utter carelessness towards the recieving team, and they knew it.

Its just wrong to see this team have to battle so many obstacles to get the chance to sniff the post season, while other teams dont have to go through these obstacles. And I dont care whether its viewed as complaining from other people, but Im sure those fans will only take things at face value until they go through it themselves.

PS:

As for tommorrow, and I dont want to seem like I want attention or anything, but tommorrow will be my last game of the season because I wont be back in regina the regular season is over. If someone on this board, or even kevin from his blueliner blog can be consistant with game recaps/comments while Im gone, I would appreciate it. I might miss a few games while Im gone, though I'll likely listen in on the radio if I ever get ahold access to the internet. I wont be able to help myself but to follow the teams attempt at making the playoffs, and anything will help over the next month or so.

Boltz9
02-06-2010, 12:05 AM
:(

Allin44
02-06-2010, 01:35 AM

First off, tonight re-affirmed why I hate the blades like i do. When they werent running goalies or hitting guys from behind(that was mostly Toomey, to be fair), they were diving and trying to sell penalties. I think I saw a couple from the pats side, but it might have been just an attempt to even things out. The only guys that dive consistantly on the pats are Hrcina and Mitchell, but the rest were uncharacteristic most definitely. Tonights antics were headlined by Wintoneak throwing his head back as if he got the stick in the face, but the stick was actually nowhere near him. I think it was Wintoneak. I also saw Hulak do the little Crosby thing where you try to split the defence and when you are in the middle of them you just jump through them, making it look like they hauled you down somehow. That one unforunately got called.

What a bunch of punks, and sorry to the honest blades fans but thats just how I feel. Its a shame because I love the toughness they bring to the game. In alot of ways, they remind me of the Flyers style of play...but the diving/***** antics and dirty checks from behind has to stop.

Though Im happy to see the pats battle back, i do feel we arent getting what we put in, and you can thank the shootout for that. You dominate overtime 2 times out of three, and you lose the extra point 3 games. If I seriously see another shootout tommorrow, I will straight up leave. Its apart of a flawed system, has no place in a club hockey league season, and its garbage.

Today also opened my eyes to something. Not only did we lose our top players for two games(while on a road trip, and being the only team in the entire conference at that disadvantage) to that retarded russia challenge, we lost them again to the world juniors over a stretch of 8 or so games. Thats at least 10 games we were forced to be short handed and couldnt do anything about it, and because of that we have to be pretty much the best team in the league to even make the playoffs. Sure, I know its expected that teams have guys step up and take their place, but its an uneven battle for many teams...and seeing as its a critical stretch right before christmas, there just has to be a better way around it. My solution would be for player's christmas break to be longer, and to make up for those games, end the regular season later. Maybe end of march, or in april.

On top of that, and Im not alone on this, we seemingly have to battle the officials almost every night. Dean was on fire tonight, as half the calls he(Zalaski mightve made 2 penalty calls tonight, the rest was Dean) made were extremely weak. With back to back 5 on 3s, the motive was as transparent as it can get. There is a code to adhere to, and apart of that code is that you dont make chincy little borderline calls to cause a 5 on 3, nevermind to create another 5 on 3. Unless its a penalty you have to call(something textbook like delay of game or something with excessive force), you let it go. Its shows utter carelessness towards the recieving team, and they knew it.

Its just wrong to see this team have to battle so many obstacles to get the chance to sniff the post season, while other teams dont have to go through these obstacles. And I dont care whether its viewed as complaining from other people, but Im sure those fans will only take things at face value until they go through it themselves.

PS:

As for tommorrow, and I dont want to seem like I want attention or anything, but tommorrow will be my last game of the season because I wont be back in regina the regular season is over. If someone on this board, or even kevin from his blueliner blog can be consistant with game recaps/comments while Im gone, I would appreciate it. I might miss a few games while Im gone, though I'll likely listen in on the radio if I ever get ahold access to the internet. I wont be able to help myself but to follow the teams attempt at making the playoffs, and anything will help over the next month or so.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t271/Surferjer/waaaambulance-23284.jpg

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-06-2010, 01:48 AM
So Im a whiner here, but when one guy from edmonton says Brandon sucks and you guys all have your own hissy fits, you guys arent?

Then again, its not like you two have any credibility on here, so why I am wasting my time with you is the real question here.

Allin44
02-06-2010, 01:48 AM

1. Build a team with some sort of depth and missing two players won't be so devastating. Windsor was missing half their team and still had a good run.

2. A few of those losses during the WJCs were lopsided enough that it wouldn't have mattered.

3. You can't extend the season into late march or april, because then it pushes the playoffs/memorial cup back until june.

4. If you do that, you are damaging the guys at the WJCs for the next year, as they will have played consistently from September - June and that leaves them with two months of time to rest.

5. I will not argue with abolishing the CDN RUSSIA challenge.

Allin44
02-06-2010, 01:54 AM
So Im a whiner here, but when one guy from edmonton says Brandon sucks and you guys all have your own hissy fits, you guys arent?

Then again, its not like you two have any credibility on here, so why I am wasting my time with you is the real question here.

Don't talk to me about credibility. Without seeing the game, I can't comment on the officiating, but good teams battle through adversity, something the Pats have shown no real interest in doing all year.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Ok, suppose I could respond to a couple points.

1. Bad example. They got quality players up the wazoo. Fowler and Campbell just dropped what they are doing and are playing for Windsor now. Thats not going to happen to anybody else. They get those players, along with the halls and ellis' they got already...and a team to begin with.

2. Could have been different...but thats not the point. The main idea is that some teams are at a disadvantage, some huge some not, while some arent at any disadvantage at all...and in a game of inches(not only on the ice but in the standings as well), there has to be a solution

3. They can make it work. If the Stanley cup and Calder cup goes on as long as it does, the memorial cup can be pushed back nearly that far too.

4. Im not asking for two months. Im asking for a longer break. You are right that at some point its unavoidable, but my point has merit. They can make it work.

And as for your last post...apparently you havent been watching the pats. The last three games they battle back and score in the last minutes taking them into overtime each game. Tonight they did that 3 times in the 3rd against a tough blades team. This whole year has had its adversity, and theyve done what they can. At some point, you arent going to overcome it all. If the shootout goes the other way each game, there no problem... but thats just it.

Also, when you say something like 'if I havnt seen it, I shouldnt comment on it', I suggest next time you actually follow up on that...then we can talk about credibility.

Boltz9
02-06-2010, 02:09 AM
Was Schenn the only player from the WJC that actually got a rest? Guess it shows how much depth our team has when we can let him stay home for a week or so and still consistently win.

Allin44
02-06-2010, 02:12 AM
Ok, suppose I could respond to a couple points.

1. Bad example. They got quality players up the wazoo. Fowler and Campbell just dropped what they are doing and are playing for Windsor now. Thats not going to happen to anybody else. They get those players, along with the halls and ellis' they got already...and a team to begin with.

2.Could have been different...but thats not the point. The main idea is that some teams are at a disadvantage, some huge some not, while some arent at any disadvantage at all...and in a game of inches(not only on the ice but in the standings as well), there has to be a solution

3. They can make it work.

4. Im not asking for two months. Im asking for a longer break. You are right that at some point its unavoidable, but my point has merit. They can make it work

And as for your last post...apparently you havent been watching the pats. They battled through 3 games, scoring in the last minutes taking them into overtime each game.

Also, when you say something like 'if I havnt seen it, I shouldnt comment on it', I suggest next time you actually follow up on that...then we can talk about credibility.

Regina killed off both 5 on 3s tonight(unless the WHL site is wrong, which is possible),can you really blame the loss on that?

Eberle has been in on 40% of your teams goals despite playing in only what.. 70-ish percent of the games. Its not hard for a team with any sort of depth to beat a team with one line(player).

All that said, Regina is still not a team I want to face in the playoffs, as its when that one player tends to really shine.

Boltz9
02-06-2010, 02:15 AM
And complaining about the officiating is the most cliche thing you can do. Everyone would like the game to be called even but that just never seems to happen. And if it consistently seems to go against the Pats, then maybe they have something to do with it, instead of it always being the ref's out to get the Pats.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-06-2010, 02:17 AM
It tires a team out, thats for sure. You could notice that during the game.

Keep in mind, this is during a stretch that Eberle has not been hot. Ask any pats fan...he has not been the reason we have won games...though tonight he contributed, it was a team effort.

And boltz, who are you trying to kid? The wheaties were anything but consistant in 2009.

Ive also said this 100 times before and probably will 1000 more times. Its easy to say when you arent on the same side of it. Id say the pats battled through what they could.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-06-2010, 02:22 AM
You guys can say whatever...but the bottom line is you dont know what you are talking about. But go ahead...tell me to complaining because thats all you have to offer here.

Boltz9
02-06-2010, 02:26 AM

Keep in mind, this is during a stretch that Eberle has not been hot. Ask any pats fan...he has not been the reason we have won games...though tonight he contributed, it was a team effort.

And boltz, who are you trying to kid? The wheaties were anything but consistant in 2009.

Ive also said this 100 times before and probably will 1000 more times. Its easy to say when you arent on the same side of it. Id say the pats battled through what they could.

I'm talking when we let him stay at home after the WJC to rest for a week I think it was. That would be 2010 not 2009. We even let Rajala sit a couple games out. I think were 14-0-0-1 in our last 15 home games, I'd say that's pretty consistent. Obviously it's alot easier for us to rest players knowing we are in the Mem Cup, and it helps that were not a one player team.

Allin44
02-06-2010, 02:27 AM

And everybody in Brandon will admit they were inconsistent. Thing is, everybody knows it was poor play by our top players, being out-coached and shaky goaltending.

Nice thing is, Brandon is peaking at the right time, unlike Regina who peaked sometime around October.

Also note that going into December by my quick numbers the Pats were like 15-16(didn't count loser points), and that was with your best players.

As for "which side you are on" Checking the stats in a 12 team conference the Pats are number 6 for PIMs putting you right in the middle.

west coast
02-06-2010, 02:34 AM
it would have been nice if the pats had traded eberle and tuebert to gain some depth .This is a one lined team and will not make the playoffs and the prospect cupboards are bare.I guess Parker will have to make some trades this summer inorder to get some depth for next year.The world juniors happen every year and teams have to use depth to get by.The Pats have utililized a short bench all year.Successful teams use all four lines to their advantage and keep things fresh.

sbtatter
02-06-2010, 09:39 AM
it would have been nice if the pats had traded eberle and tuebert to gain some depth .This is a one lined team and will not make the playoffs and the prospect cupboards are bare.

This is the crux of the matter. Parker could have set the Pats up for the next 2 years by trading those 2 guys, a monkey could have told him the Pats were to far back to make the playoffs but he gambled, and he's losing, ultimately the franchise will lose thanks to Parker

Pond Hockey
02-06-2010, 11:48 AM
If the Pats had won all 3 of their last shootout games this week I am sure Some_Arrogant_Jerk wouldn't be complaining so much. Maybe the Pats should learn how to score a shootout goal since its a part of the game now. Especially with so many 3 point games in the league.

As far as the whl extending the season it just doen't make any sense as these are 16-21 year old's who deserve a break otherwise they will be burnt out.

Allin44
02-06-2010, 01:55 PM
If the Pats had won all 3 of their last shootout games this week I am sure Some_Arrogant_Jerk wouldn't be complaining so much. Maybe the Pats should learn how to score a shootout goal since its a part of the game now. Especially with so many 3 point games in the league.

As far as the whl extending the season it just doen't make any sense as these are 16-21 year old's who deserve a break otherwise they will be burnt out.

Take away the loser point and the Pats are even further out of a playoff spot

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I think this part of my long post got lost in the thread after these brandon nit wits who cant read took over the thread...

...but if anybody could be consistant with recaps/comments on the next regular season games Id appreciate it.

Allin44
02-06-2010, 02:47 PM
I think this part of my long post got lost in the thread after these brandon nit wits who cant read took over the thread...

...but if anybody could be consistant with recaps/comments on the next regular season games Id appreciate it.

I think most of your long post got lost in the thread by about line one.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Uh, no. You just lost your nuts once I said the officials are a factor.

EDIT: and besides, how would you know, mr 'I shouldnt comment on things I havnt seen'? The post wasnt directed to nosy brandon fans anyways.

Allin44
02-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Uh, no. You just lost your nuts once I said the officials are a factor.

EDIT: and besides, how would you know, mr 'I shouldnt comment on things I havnt seen'? The post wasnt directed to nosy brandon fans anyways.

No, you labeled officials as THE factor. And going on your track record, you don't hold your team to a very high standard.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-06-2010, 03:06 PM
oh really? I guess the phrase 'on top of that' means something along the lines of 'this is the only problem'. The rest of the post was obviously filler until i got to blaming the refs for every single loss of the season....And lastly, how I feel about the team in general has nothing to do with the last stretch of games, because its not like parker put on skates and played himself.

Seriously, quit wasting your time. Its not like Im going to argue wheat king related things with you because, like you guys with the pats current events, I dont know much about that.

Allin44
02-06-2010, 03:15 PM
oh really? I guess the phrase 'on top of that' means something along the lines of 'this is the only problem'. The rest of the post was obviously filler until i got to blaming the refs for every single loss of the season....And lastly, how I feel about the team in general has nothing to do with the last stretch of games, because its not like parker put on skates and played himself.

Seriously, quit wasting your time. Its not like Im going to argue wheat king related things with you because, like you guys with the pats current events, I dont know much about that.

Sorry, its the Russia Challenge, the WJCs, The Blades Diving/dirty play, and the Refs.

Nothing to do with the Pats just not playing well enough to win, right?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-06-2010, 03:36 PM
Man, It must be a dream to live in brandon. Does everybody butt their nose in everything in Brandon, or is it just the band of gimps on your side of the forum?

Doesnt help that you dont know what you are talking about.

Allin44
02-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Man, It must be a dream to live in brandon. Does everybody butt their nose in everything in Brandon, or is it just the band of gimps on your side of the forum?

Doesnt help that you dont know what you are talking about.

:)

nthestands
02-06-2010, 09:56 PM
I think that you are right about the officiating. It has been terrible to watch almost everygame. There has been exceptions and the some are calling the game as it should be. Majority of the stripes are horrible at their job though and influence the outcome of the game every time they are in town. Most nights there are missed calls, wrong calls, poor enforcment of the rules concerning line changes and obstruction, slow whistles at the net for one side, missed offsides etc. All of these calls made or not made make a huge difference to the outcome and flow to the game. These calls are made with no prejudice on most nights and is more or less just a sign or incompetence by the powers to be to fix this problem. Most of the problem is that nobody knows who the good refs are because these guys go unnoticed and get no credit other than not getting yelled at. Part of the reason that the refs are buying the diving calls is because they are out of position and can't possibly make the right desision from their location on the ice. A couple of the well known refs should be let go they are poor at their job and try to determine the outcome of a game.

sbtatter
02-06-2010, 10:36 PM
I think that you are right about the officiating. It has been terrible to watch almost everygame. There has been exceptions and the some are calling the game as it should be. Majority of the stripes are horrible at their job though and influence the outcome of the game every time they are in town. Most nights there are missed calls, wrong calls, poor enforcment of the rules concerning line changes and obstruction, slow whistles at the net for one side, missed offsides etc. All of these calls made or not made make a huge difference to the outcome and flow to the game. These calls are made with no prejudice on most nights and is more or less just a sign or incompetence by the powers to be to fix this problem. Most of the problem is that nobody knows who the good refs are because these guys go unnoticed and get no credit other than not getting yelled at. Part of the reason that the refs are buying the diving calls is because they are out of position and can't possibly make the right desision from their location on the ice. A couple of the well known refs should be let go they are poor at their job and try to determine the outcome of a game.
Not to completely absolve the refs but I think that the players are making it hard on the officials with all of the diving and faking happening on the ice these days.

nthestands
02-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Not to completely absolve the refs but I think that the players are making it hard on the officials with all of the diving and faking happening on the ice these days.

The players dont make it any easier, thats for sure. If they would start to call the obstruction when the stick comes up like they are supposed to though instead of waiting for the player to grab on to it and fall down. it would stop some drama in the games. Any player that turn deserves what the get and more diving calls have to be made. Line change violations should be dealt with as in the rule book instead of giving third and fourth chances on late changes etc.

sbtatter
02-07-2010, 10:03 AM
The players dont make it any easier, thats for sure. If they would start to call the obstruction when the stick comes up like they are supposed to though instead of waiting for the player to grab on to it and fall down. it would stop some drama in the games. Any player that turn deserves what the get and more diving calls have to be made. Line change violations should be dealt with as in the rule book instead of giving third and fourth chances on late changes etc.

Can't disagree with you!!

west coast
02-07-2010, 04:38 PM
never mind the bad reffing.I just want to see the Pats play hard to the whistle.I want to see the team play hard right to the end of the season.No excuses.I want to see effort and entertainment.Do you believe?

patsdude114
02-07-2010, 08:11 PM
i completely agree with u west coast.... i know the playoffs are looking abit unrealistic but yet are attainable... as long as i get my monies worth ill be happy.. the last month of games have been a treat to watch. The team is finally playing what they are capable of... reguardless of what anyone says. The only reason they are in this position is cuz of all the injuries that came in december, along with players gone for team canada commitments.

There are so many things that have to fall into place for the Pats to even reach 8th we have gained what 2 points since trade deadline & we have been 1 of the hottest teams in the new year. Our record against MJ this year is whats going to kill us in the end.

Say what u want about not trading Eberle & Teubert... if the Parker's dont sell this summer then i will get on the bashing train of Parker as well. If he does sell then i completely understand why he didnt trade both those players cuz it was all about the the ticket sales then & really i dont blame him for that. You can say that the new owners (if it happens) would be more appealing to buy the team with more prospects but i disagree. The only reason i can totally see why Parker didnt move these 2 players is cuz they plan on selling. But really if they sell what would they care what happens next season.

sbtatter
02-07-2010, 09:09 PM
i completely agree with u west coast.... i know the playoffs are looking abit unrealistic but yet are attainable... as long as i get my monies worth ill be happy.. the last month of games have been a treat to watch. The team is finally playing what they are capable of... reguardless of what anyone says. The only reason they are in this position is cuz of all the injuries that came in december, along with players gone for team canada commitments.

There are so many things that have to fall into place for the Pats to even reach 8th we have gained what 2 points since trade deadline & we have been 1 of the hottest teams in the new year. Our record against MJ this year is whats going to kill us in the end.

Say what u want about not trading Eberle & Teubert... if the Parker's dont sell this summer then i will get on the bashing train of Parker as well. If he does sell then i completely understand why he didnt trade both those players cuz it was all about the the ticket sales then & really i dont blame him for that. You can say that the new owners (if it happens) would be more appealing to buy the team with more prospects but i disagree. The only reason i can totally see why Parker didnt move these 2 players is cuz they plan on selling. But really if they sell what would they care what happens next season.

Makes sense....Hey, is Bell still playing awesome?

patsdude114
02-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Bell is playing amazing, i wish Hunt would play Bell on the PP with Teubert instead of Leffler on the point. For starters he is a regular Dman, he has a better 1timer then Leffler has & he sees the ice better as wel. It is also very safe to say that he has more patience at the blueline then Leffler does too.

Bell is only 16 yrs old & is going to be a stud in this league by the time he is 18. As much as so many of you feel the Pats will be very weak next year our defense should be a strong point.

Carlson & Davidson (who will both be 19) will anchor our defense along with Bell (17yrs) Spooner (18yrs) should only improve has looked alright these past few games Bortsmayer is gaining valuable experience as well & 1 would think Sparrow would only improve as well throw in 2 young prospects in Peel & Pavkovich

Ketlo & Guhle will give us a solid 1-2 punch in goal.

As much as you say the Pats are thin up-front we arnt going to be that thin... with Weal & Ashton will be a great 1-2 punch in the league no questions asked. Gustafsson is starting to find his game in the WHL over the last month he will score next season forsure, along with Mitchell (who has improved every year & will be our captain) Hutt is still on our team just has a season ending surgery. As much as the Red Deer fans have bashed Mappin for being a cancer this guy has been 1 of our best players behind our big 3 Orfino will be th 2nd 20 yr old with Mappin and who knows what the Pats can get for a 3rd with other teams having to release a 20 yr old. After all Brandon gave up a very solid 20 yr old this season in Green.

If any of the prospects can surprise people the Pats will be fine next season even without trading Eberle or Teubert. I think it will be good for the Pats to have Leffler & Strueby finally graduate as they are both players from the pre-lockout draft before the game really changed with speed.

west coast
02-08-2010, 03:44 AM
not sure why anyone would knock Bell,s game.He has had a great year.He has probably deserved more ice time this year but with Pats chasing playoff spot,Hunt has been playing the heck out of the vets.There is no doubt that he should be playing the point instead of leffler on the point.Bell is physical and has one of the hardest shots in the league.He is only 16 and will blossom into one the leagues best dman.Bell is a very smart player and doesnt mind dropping the gloves.I could see Bell wearing a letter in a few years.

west coast
02-08-2010, 03:01 PM
there are many interesting and informative Pats blogs that i enjoy reading inorder to stay in tune with what is going on with the Pats.My favorite is Rod Pederson .He has the most up to date information and the the official voice of the Pats.The Blueliner offers very informative data from a different persective.I will sometimes look at Regina Pats history (a site by Scoreboard).I found a new one that gives a fans opinion on a game to game basis.It can be found at http://patsprincess.wordpress.com