PDA

View Full Version : Blades Sign Lukas Sutter to WHL Standard Player Agreement

lordstanley
01-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Blades Sign Lukas Sutter to WHL Standard Player Agreement

The Saskatoon Blades are pleased to announce that forward Lukas Sutter has been signed to a WHL Standard Player Agreement.

Sutter, a 16-year-old from Lethbridge, Alberta, was selected by the Blades in the 2nd round (42nd overall) in the 2008 WHL Bantam Draft.

“It’s been a long process ever since the draft,” said Sutter. “With the decision, I like the idea of being able to step right in and contribute right away.”
“With Saskatoon, what they have shown me, the way they have treated me, and how they have waited on me was very big.”

The 6’0”, 199-pound center has been limited to just one game this season with the Lethbridge Y’s Men Titans of the Alberta Midget Hockey League because of injury. Last season in 33 games played with the Titans, Sutter had 6 goals and 5 assists for 11 points to go along with 83 penalty minutes. This past summer, he was selected to play for the U.S. Under-17 Select Team for the 2009 Under-17 Five Nations Tournament in Fussen, Germany.
“We are thrilled to learn that Lukas and his family have committed to the Blades and the Western Hockey League,” said Blades General Manager and Head Coach Lorne Molleken.

“After much consideration of what avenue is the best for Lukas as a hockey player and as a student, he and his family have decided that major junior hockey gives the best opportunity in both areas of his young life.”

In signing with the Blades, Lukas will be eligible to receive one year of schooling at a Canadian University or College for each season he plays in the WHL.
Lukas is the latest in a long line of hockey players from the famous Sutter clan. His father, Rich, was one of six brothers to play in the National Hockey League and spent parts of 14 seasons in the league with stops in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Vancouver, St. Louis, Chicago, Toronto, and Tampa Bay.

For the father, the reasons to commit to the Blades were much the same as the son.
“The choice for Saskatoon was for the obvious reasons, the Brodsky family and Lorne have been very good to Lukas and have waited on him to make a decision,” said Lukas’ father, Rich. “It says a lot about the people in the organization.”
Lukas will remain with the Titans through the remainder of this season but is eligible to be called up by the Blades on an affiliated basis.http://www.saskatoonblades.com/News/Blades_News/853/