PDA

View Full Version : Brule Hat Trick Hi-Lites Prospects Game

Kassian
01-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Vancouver Giants forward Gilbert Brule (seen here with Don Cherry), scored a hat trick and added an assist to lead Team Cherry to an 8-4 win over Team Davidson in the 10th Home Hardware CHL Top Prospects Game in Vancouver, B.C.

Brule, who scored the first ever hat trick in a Prospects game, was selected Team Cherry's player of the game for his effort.

Guillaume Latendresse of the Drummondville Voltigeurs opened the scoring for Team Cherry at 16:50 of the first frame with a weak wrist shot off the rush that Team Davidson starting netminder Alexandre Vincent of Chicoutimi should have had.

Marek Zagrapan of Chicoutimi made it 2-0 for Team Cherry at 19:26 of the first, converting a rebound after a wraparound attempt by Kingston's Radek Smolenak.

However, Team Davidson would get one back less than 20 seconds later as Moose Jaw Warrior Kenndal McArdle – with the first of two on the night – buried a rebound off the end boards, beating Team Cherry starting netminder Carey Price of the Tri-City Americans.

Gilbert Brule got his first of the game just 1:08 into the second period as he banged home a nice feed from Prince George Cougar Nicholas Drazenovic on a 2-on-0 rush.

The 17-year-old native of Vancouver, playing in front of a hometown crowd, netted his second at 15:36 of the second period, banging in his own rebound after creating a turnover in the offensive zone, to make it 4-1 for Team Cherry.

“Our whole line was going tonight,” said Brule about his linemates Drazenovic and Chris Lawrence of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. “It was pretty fun playing with those two guys…they were crashing and banging and getting pucks on net, and they were going in for us.”

After Alex Bourret made it 5-1 for Team Cherry, Kenndal McArdle, who was selected Team Davidson's Player of the Game, tallied his second of the game to pull his squad within three, throwing the puck on net and seeing it redirect off Calgary Hitmen defenceman Dustin Kohn and past netminder Jean-Philippe Levasseur of the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies

McArdle said the whole experience of playing in such a high-profile contest was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

“It was pretty much surreal,” said McArdle. “I couldn't have asked for anything more.”

A busy third period saw Team Davidson goals from Saskatoon Blades forward Devin Setoguchi and P.E.I Rockets forward Viatcheslav Trukhno, while Portland Winter Hawks defenceman Brendan Mikkelson and Radek Smolenak replied for Team Cherry.

Brule would complete his hat trick with an empty-netter to give Team Cherry the 8-4 win.

IceMan
01-20-2005, 09:29 PM
My 6 year old and I trekked up to see the Prospects Game from Everett (we were ... I think ... the only 2 there in Tips jerseys). Had a great time in BC, really enjoyed the game. It was nice to talk Hockey (lots of it) with the locals on the way to, and inside the Arena. We were treated very well, had some fun jabs back and forth, but most importantly, got to see a lot of talent right up close and personal. The fact that he lost one of his teeth on a popsicle really endeared him to our seatmates. Nothing like a 6 year old with a bloody mouth and a tooth in hand at a hockey game, eh?

My son was very impressed that the "Guy from the stupid Giants scored AGAIN!". Even at 6, he gets the fact that you can be rivals, not like the other team all that much, but still appreciate and root for your rival to do well in a game like this. He was pulling for black all the way, and has talked about nothing but going back to Canada again ever since we left.

Thanks for a good show, and great hospitality!

ihlemic10
01-20-2005, 11:21 PM
If there was not school, I would have gone. But since Bobby was playing my ride really didn't want to go. How do you think it would have ended if Bobby was playing?

rinkrat
01-23-2005, 10:17 PM
especially from Gilbert...