PDA

View Full Version : BRN @ KTN

EOK1
01-26-2010, 09:50 PM
5th goal was clearly kicked in. Brandon is playing pretty good, but man they need to start killing penalties and limiting their turnovers.

The one ref is an idiot because he was standing behind the net, yet he never "saw" the puck go in..they had to go upstairs to finally rule it a goal. The announcers are just as bad because they still seem to think that the Selke Trophy is awarded to the NHL playoff MVP and they still think Hayes is in goal..LOL

I think Brandon will pressure in the 3rd hard.

Boltz9
01-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Ya no kidding, I laugh every time they say it's Hayes in net. Brandon is just playing horrible defense, giving the puck away alot and not getting the puck out. 5th goal was definately not a goal. So I agree with you EOK1, I thought it may never happen lol.

Boltz9
01-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Big win tonight. Hopefully they can keep this going, looks like they have some confidence now and they get Wiebe back the next game.

EOK1
01-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Big effort in the 3rd and in OT. Good win.

brandonboy
01-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Was it a blind deaf kid that picked the three stars in this one? IMO it should have been,
1) Glennie- 1 goal and 2 assists plus the overtime winner!
2) Schenn- 2 goals and some amazing plays!
3) McNabb- 1 goal and 1 assist and some solid D!

Not
1) Rintoul- 1 assist and a +1 but really didnt do anything special in my view!
2) Schenn- Can stay.
3) Fraser- 1 goal and a +/- 0

But as for Schenn how can you even describe that tonight..... Unreal! And how about Glennie with his 3rd 3 point game in a row.

Trevor
01-26-2010, 11:24 PM
They reported the stars on TV as
1. Schenn
2. Fraser (I think)
3. Glennie

EOK1
01-26-2010, 11:33 PM
From what I could gather, those who looked good included Lewadniuk, Schenn, Calvert, Glennie, Ciarelli and Robak. Those not so much; Hayes for sure, Fehr (looked behind the play), Melnychuk and Urbom (both fought the puck).

That end to end rush was unreal. I still think Aaron banged that home, but impressive none the less. Keep it going in Lethbridge.

Road Warrior
01-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Good to see the forwards come to play Good game Braden excellent game Scott

EOK1
01-26-2010, 11:42 PM
My favourite part, aside from the win was the announcers freaking out at the end of the second on not knowing the score, and then the guy asking Scott Glennie as they headed to the dressing room, what the score was...lol

dondo
01-26-2010, 11:55 PM
hmm -- officiating in that game was abysmal and people complain that I whine about the reffing too much, but from the linesmen, to the scorekeepers to the incompetent refs, bad calls were made all over the ice... the video goal judges were blind too -- lifting your foot and bringing it forward IS A KICKING MOTION (frankly I'd love to see a rule go in that if it goes in off a foot it doesn't count-- it would solve all of this "kicking motion" interpretation garbage)

.. Savage remains one of the more useless refs in this league. And the ref who was at the back of the net looking for the puck to cross the line (Cowley?) (which it did by almost a foot) and then was dumb enough to waive it off maybe needs a vacation .. This is their job for pete's sake and he couldn't have been in a better position to make that call and still he screws it up

as for the game nobody was playing defense at all, it was wide open hockey .. which is fun but won't win playoff series. Good move by the Brandon coach putting DeSerres in for the third. The Wheaties were badly out-shooting the Ice and yet were trailing by a goal after two.

Not sure how you guys hope to make a bid for the Memorial Cup with that goal-tending duo though --- Jacob is capable of stepping it up, but I didn't see much from Hayes that instills me with confidence -- I'd be curious to hear what you guys think of your chances. Amazing offense, but from what I see very few players playing any sort of defense and goaltending that is b-grade at best. I haven't seen the Wheaties a whole lot this season so maybe it was a tough game for Hayes.

The Giants have the same problem between the pipes right now, not sure how deep we can go with our tandem ... but at least DeSerres is a veteran for you guys.

Boltz9
01-27-2010, 12:06 AM
I think Deserres actually started the second period. He was for sure in net for the second period but the announcers didn't notice and continued to call him Hayes. I was waiting on that Wheaties goal that went under review for an overhead view but for some reason they decided to never show it once. I like that idea Dondo about the puck going in off the skate, would make it much easier, theres no doubt that goal should have been disallowed. The goalies are completely inconsistent, they just can't seem to make what for some goalies would be considered routine saves, mainly the shots from the defence. The team doesn't help them with their giveaways in the defensive zone. And it seems like not a whole lot of players on this team like to get down and make a block. The goal by Schenn was sick, and that's exactly what he has been doing the last couple games, going end to end and setting up chances, I love it. And whl.ca has the 3 stars as #1 Rintoul, Schenn, Fraser, which is obviously a hometown thing. Trevor is right with the TV 3 stars which make alot more sense.

Richie69
01-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Savage used to be a pretty reasonable ref. Now he trys to be the most noticeable skater on the ice. He thinks the fans are there to watch him and that they want to be entertained by him. He loves to take off his helmet and squirt and polish his shiny bald head for the fans during the breaks.

If there are no infractions to call, he will arbitrarily call a penalty to create (or shift) momentum or just to show the fans that he is in total control of the hockey game.

Even worse is when he has a young referree with him; then he feels he needs to groom the newbie in his likeness. I see it every time. Now, I just leave the arena if I see him get onto the ice because its just impossible to enjoy the hockey game.

I think he lives in or used to live in Medicine Hat or something. If you are a team playing against Medicine Hat, you can pretty much forget about two points regardless of the venue, because he is definitely on their payrole.

Wheatie Pete
01-27-2010, 09:24 AM
What were the line combination's with Fehr back? What did he look like? Slower than usual? Still think we should have given up his scoring for a 20 year old goalie. Zemalak, Jung, Muncha or Rowat.

Joe Hallenback
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Entertaining game. Brandon looked like they were trying to give Kootenay the puck in the early going. Couple of poor decisions by Urbom and Melnychuk cost us 2 goals and a deflection hayes had no chance on.

I thought we really controlled the play for most of the night and had alot of good scoring chances. Fehr was a step behind but I guess the leg was a factor but I think he still managed a couple of assists though.

Rowat and Jung are not an upgrade at all. PA would not have moved Zemlak and Mucha was already dealt early to Kamloops.

The reality is there are probably only 3 real elite goalies in the WHL this year and 2 of them are 17 year olds in Pickard and Simpson and Calgary would not be moving Jones. All you need is average goaltending through out the season and one of our 2 to get hot for a stretch in the playoffs.

Wheatie Pete
01-27-2010, 11:57 AM
WHO played with who. Was Schenn, Rajala and Stone together again? I didn't see the game on shaw.

brandonboy
01-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Entertaining game. Brandon looked like they were trying to give Kootenay the puck in the early going. Couple of poor decisions by Urbom and Melnychuk cost us 2 goals and a deflection hayes had no chance on.

I thought we really controlled the play for most of the night and had alot of good scoring chances. Fehr was a step behind but I guess the leg was a factor but I think he still managed a couple of assists though.

Rowat and Jung are not an upgrade at all. PA would not have moved Zemlak and Mucha was already dealt early to Kamloops.

The reality is there are probably only 3 real elite goalies in the WHL this year and 2 of them are 17 year olds in Pickard and Simpson and Calgary would not be moving Jones. All you need is average goaltending through out the season and one of our 2 to get hot for a stretch in the playoffs.

Sorry to dissagree but a cardboard cut out would be an upgrade over our goaltending. Thats why we didnt need an elite just an avg. goalie would have been nice, why do we not call up lyston/liston (sp) and give him a run he looked like our best goalie in the preseason..

Joe Hallenback
01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
WHO played with who. Was Schenn, Rajala and Stone together again? I didn't see the game on shaw.

yes

Rajala Schenn Stone
Calvert Glennie Fehr
Ferland Radeke Lewadniuk
Walker Sinatynski Ciarelli

I am not sure but it kind of looked like Lewadniuk changes spots with Stone late in the game. I imagine when Wiebe comes back he goes into the third line and Ferland drops to the 4th.

Hale played D but really didn't get many shifts. Robak looked like he logged 30 minutes. It will be nice to get Hamonic in the lineup.

Robak Urbom
Hamonic Schnieder
Bestland Melnychuk

The top 4 can log alot of minutes and you can put the bottom pair on against weaker lines.

Trevor
01-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Completely agree. Rowat could've been had for a song before the season started, but he isn't an upgrade. Check out his career numbers. Jung is in the same boat. Zemlak, on the other hand, would've been an upgrade, but by trading Stanford they stated he was their man all season.

I wouldn't even consider Jones an elite goalie. He reminds me more of Tyson Sexsmith. Both of them had really stong WHL careers due to the team defense in front of them.

Allin44
01-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Sorry to dissagree but a cardboard cut out would be an upgrade over our goaltending. Thats why we didnt need an elite just an avg. goalie would have been nice, why do we not call up lyston/liston (sp) and give him a run he looked like our best goalie in the preseason..

And Jesse Hall was our best forward, and it was Sanfred King before that.

Preseason is just that

brandonboy
01-27-2010, 03:34 PM
And Jesse Hall was our best forward, and it was Sanfred King before that.

Preseason is just that

I know what your saying but I think we should have at least givin him a shot, Hayes is just not seeing the puck at all.

Road Warrior
01-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Liston got lit up in first game he played and has no confidence at this level now probally will not make team next year. Hayes will be fine if the fans leave him alone and KM shows some confidence. DeSerres will be good as a back up once KM sets up a decent rotation and gives him some confidence instead of starting him against the weaker teams in league.
As far as Jones goes he is a very good tender he single handedly defeated the Wheat Kings last year at least in Game 3 and 4 when the Wheat kings were at home and could not win against him. If Coach Desjardins would have played him in the gold medal game Canada would have won gold instead of lost. I know he played the last of the game but he should have played sooner or all game.

olwpgjet
01-27-2010, 08:42 PM
yes

Rajala Schenn Stone
Calvert Glennie Fehr
Ferland Radeke Lewadniuk
Walker Sinatynski Ciarelli

I am not sure but it kind of looked like Lewadniuk changes spots with Stone late in the game. I imagine when Wiebe comes back he goes into the third line and Ferland drops to the 4th.

Hale played D but really didn't get many shifts. Robak looked like he logged 30 minutes. It will be nice to get Hamonic in the lineup.

Robak Urbom
Hamonic Schnieder
Bestland Melnychuk

The top 4 can log alot of minutes and you can put the bottom pair on against weaker lines.

Hey , I didn't see the game so glad you posted the lines. Miller didn't play eh. Just a scratch or was there another reason? I don't go to all the games but quite a few and what I see for top 4 when everyone is healthy would be Bestland into # 4 spot where Schneider is , Miller taking spot where Bestland is (# 5 ) and Schneider relegated to #7 maybe platooning with Melnychuk and I guess maybe Miller a little bit. Miller brings much needed toughness to the defence. Schneider brings powerplay ability but with Robak AND Hamonic, his powerplay time will be cut a fair bit I think. Melnychuk is getting better all the time but prone to giving the puck away. With the great forwards we have , I'm finding line combinations and guessing line combo's alot more interesting this season.

Section Eight
01-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Liston got lit up in first game he played and has no confidence at this level now probally will not make team next year. Hayes will be fine if the fans leave him alone and KM shows some confidence. DeSerres will be good as a back up once KM sets up a decent rotation and gives him some confidence instead of starting him against the weaker teams in league.
As far as Jones goes he is a very good tender he single handedly defeated the Wheat Kings last year at least in Game 3 and 4 when the Wheat kings were at home and could not win against him. If Coach Desjardins would have played him in the gold medal game Canada would have won gold instead of lost. I know he played the last of the game but he should have played sooner or all game.

Hayes is an AVERAGE goaltender at best and the fans get on him, as you suggest, because he is often LESS THAN AVERAGE. This guy has a save percentage that barely tips 9, a GAA of nearly 3 on a team that often dominates territorial play and out-shoots the opposition by a wide margin. "Hayes will be fine" ... give me a break!!!!!

If Kelly doesn't get DeSerres on a roll going into the playoffs we'll be like all good teams w/o solid goaltending - OUT EARLY and SLAUGHTERED in the M CUP!

olwpgjet
01-27-2010, 08:54 PM

The only thing I will respectfully disagree with you on is that I think DeSerres is the man down the stretch. I've seen some pretty good goaltending from Hayes too but more often some bad back breaking goals. DeSerres hasn't played that much the past couple months but what I have seen , he seems to be the better of the two. I hope Hayes can get his confidence and some consistency back but right now our goaltending can only be termed average at best . PLayoff time when goalies can steal games , I hope we have two good goalies.

Road Warrior
01-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Yeah that is why Hayes holds the record for tenders over 100 games cause he is terrible and maybe one day he can be in section 8 as well right beside you.

Section Eight
01-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah that is why Hayes holds the record for tenders over 100 games cause he is terrible and maybe one day he can be in section 8 as well right beside you.

Meaningless stat!

Okay pal you're on, let's revisit this in a month or two ... if Hayes is the man down the stretch you heard it here first - the WK's are out as soon as they play a complete team, Saskatoon or Calgary.

I'll remind you of this converstaion and your big mouth!!!

nthestands
01-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Maybe Hayes will get run right before playoffs and miss a couple weeks, oh yeah, I forgot that the players with no respect or class are on the same team as him!

sbtatter
01-27-2010, 10:20 PM
It's open right now as to whom is the #1 goalie, deserres may snatch that title yet....

Section Eight
01-27-2010, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=nthestands;146362]Maybe Hayes will get run right before playoffs and miss a couple weeks, oh yeah, I forgot that the players with no respect or class are on the same team as him![/QUOTE

Not sure what that all about but ...

I think most WK fans know, even if they won't readily admit, that Hayes just isn't a championship caliber goaltender, end of story.

DeSerres hasn't exactly grabbed the brass ring either but his pre-injury days in Seattle at least suggest, and provide a glimmer of hope, that he can at least get there.

DeSerres either get's it done or it's a spring time of "what if's" in the Wheat City.

EOK1
01-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Maybe Hayes will get run right before playoffs and miss a couple weeks, oh yeah, I forgot that the players with no respect or class are on the same team as him!

Your still crying about that? People in PA need to not view hockey as their only lively savior. It's hockey dude.

As for the guy who wondered about Ryley Miller's status, I think he was scratched due to an illness.

Trevor
01-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Miller was out with the flu

brandonboy
01-28-2010, 12:03 AM

Liston hasn't played this season, you may be thinking of Rimmer who got lit up in his first game... And as for Hayes and DeSerres, DeSerres should be our starter hands down.

Road Warrior
01-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Yeah your right Liston didn't make it out of camp I don't think he is even listed by the kings anymore. Rimmer is still on list or was before Christmas. I have not seen anythjng from DeSerres to indicate he should be a starter in the dub never mind a 3rd round pick he plays the wesker teams and against the mediocre teams he has been totally inconsistant. Hayes has been inconsistant as well but has played in all the tougher games and will play Friday night I bet.

Joe Hallenback
01-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Liam Liston is still listed. He is one of the top 16 year old goalies in the west and played for Team Pacific at the u17s this year and he is the best goalie in Alberta midget hockey. I expect him to be a back up next year and possibly challenging for the number 1 spot over the year.

Wheatie Pete
01-28-2010, 10:38 AM

Who are you to talk. PA is usually loaded up with goons annually and low brow fans. To take the place of the lack of skill and scouting your team always has.

What do you want them to do send Zemalak some flowers? Tell your fans to grow a set, this is hockey not ringette.