PDA

View Full Version : Game 59-Wheaties 4 at Hitmen 2

Hitmen1
02-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I missed most the game due to an afternoon nap thanks to this awful February cold I have. Here is a good recap from the WHL message board:

The Wheat Kings got on the board first, Rajala and Fehr threw the puck around on the rush and centred it to Lewadniuk for his 30th. It went right off his skate and into the net - the refs checked the goal upstairs but I guess they decided that even though he turned his skate he did not make a distinct kicking motion.
The Hitmen hit the scoresheet 2 mins later, as Nyren held the puck in the zone and passed it to Schultz on the left side. He threw it to Cowan in front of the net who waited for the puck to get to him and one-timed it past DeSerres. Calgary made it 2-1 when Fisenko and Kozun played a pretty good passing game, it was quite an easy goal for Kozun's 30th.
A good bounce by Brandon got them even under a minute later, as Schenn ripped a shot wide of the net and it sprung off the boards right to the other side to Calvert who had an empty net. In my opinion, Calgary had more of the good chances in the 1st and should have been leading 3-2 or 4-2.
In the 2nd, Urbom snuck in on the PP and got 2 whacks at it (his original shot and a rebound) before putting it home for a 3-2 Brandon lead. The Wheat Kings definitely held the edge in the 2nd period both in shots and opportunities - Brandon probably should have added another goal or two in that period for sure.
In the 3rd, the Hitmen had their chances, but they were sporadic at best: Stebner hit the post, as did some other Hitmen...I forget who in the scramble (Foucault?). There were a few opportunities where the puck made it past DeSerres but his D-men (Bestland and Robak) were behind pulling away the puck at the last split-second. Brandon's 4th goal was scored when Fehr brought the puck in and dropped it to Urbom in the slot. He stepped into that last shot like it was a skills competition and he absolutely blew it by Jones top corner to seal the game.

Thanks to "Greg for the full recap. (http://www.network54.com/Forum/40684/message/1266291268/Brandon+has+Calgary%27s+number)