PDA

View Full Version : How much do they make?

brandonboy
02-23-2010, 03:11 PM
This is something that interested me for awhile now and was reading on the Regina board about the teams worth!
So my Question is how much do you think the Wheat Kings are worth? And or other teams in the league?
And how much do you think KM puts into his pocket at the end of the year?

Allin44
02-23-2010, 03:28 PM
This is something that interested me for awhile now and was reading on the Regina board about the teams worth!
So my Question is how much do you think the Wheat Kings are worth? And or other teams in the league?
And how much do you think KM puts into his pocket at the end of the year?

Its a privately held business so it is really none of our business.

On the value of the team..

When you think of about 5 or 6 years ago Edmonton had a standing offer to buy any existing WHL franchise for $5 million and got no takers, it'd stand to reason that it'd be worth more than that.

Kamloops sold a few years ago for 6.1, Portland just sold for 7.5.

All three average around that 4500 ish mark for attendance, tho I would imagine the WKs have the sweeter of the lease agreements with their arena.

As for what KM pockets each year, and what the team runs for profits/losses, not really our business. I'd guess that most of these teams(aside from the few community owned teams) are held as an investment, not as income.

Joe Hallenback
02-23-2010, 03:45 PM
I would say 5 to 7 Million would a good estimate

If you average 4500 people per game over 36 games and charge only 12 bucks a game then your bringing in 2 million dollars just on Ticket sales. So if you include some kind of sharing on concessions with the arena owners and merchandise I bet you can make a nice profit year to year.

I heard that it costs around 2 Million a year to operate a team in the WHL.

Allin44
02-23-2010, 04:22 PM
I would say 5 to 7 Million would a good estimate

If you average 4500 people per game over 36 games and charge only 12 bucks a game then your bringing in 2 million dollars just on Ticket sales. So if you include some kind of sharing on concessions with the arena owners and merchandise I bet you can make a nice profit year to year.

I heard that it costs around 2 Million a year to operate a team in the WHL.

So he probably saves himself some pretty good coin by taking a GM, President/CEO and Head Coach salary off the table hey.. haha

Trevor
02-23-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't know if KM gets any share of the concessions or not. I know the Keystone doesn't share concessions for other events, like the Select. But I have heard KM has a real sweetheart of a deal with for the ice time though.