PDA

View Full Version : Call Ups

Nature Boy
02-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Now that Mike Winthers team has been eliminated from the alberta Midget AAA league playoffs. Do you think he will be called up by the team for the rest of the season and possibly the playoffs.

Dwight Schrute
02-23-2010, 09:03 PM
it would be nice to see him come and get a intro to the league, practice etc.... but you really think bruno would give him ice ?

westbeach55
02-23-2010, 10:08 PM
were fighting for a playoff spot it would be nice to bring him in with the team but it would be kinda hard to give the kid ice time, for sure if were out of the race give him some ice but kinda not fair just to through him in when he doesnt know any of the systems and we don't have any injuries to place him in the lineup

SaskHockeyFan
02-24-2010, 08:09 AM
They can come up and practice and hang with the team to get a taste of it. Players often get called up after their season is over and hardly play. Some, like Jordan Trach, play their best hockey as a 15 year old.

SaskHockeyFan
02-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Just goes to show how much of a "crap shoot" the 14 year old draft actually is with regards to ability. With regard to attitude my opinions still stand.

Dwight Schrute
02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Justin Palazzo looked like he was the greatest defencemen I have ever seen at 15. Andy Smith also looked unreal at 15

the rules changed after palazzos 15 year old season, he never could adapt or overcome his skating deficiencies unlike gauthier. smith played at 16, and looked great at 17 too, the 2 seasons with bruno here he didnt look as good.

and trach at 15 might have played his best due to the fact he was concussion free.
we basicly wasted our first round picks in 07 (aasman) 06penner 05 trach 04 palazzo, 03 depape (1 decent year). some due to coaching, some due to attitude, others were just a poor pick.

tuffguy
02-24-2010, 11:28 AM
coaching and the rule changes (and Trach's injury). There have been allot of kids over the years that looked very good at 15 and were run out of Dodge at 18 or 19. Gauthier and Palazzo also both had significant injury problems. Gauthier broke his leg his 17 year old season quite badly, and Palazzo broke his ankle twice, and was told he will have trouble with it probably for the rest of his life. One from a way back was Mike Wilson, a 2nd round pick in the 87 draft. Early in his 17 year old season they outright released him. SC listed him, and at 19 and 20 he scored 100 points in 2.5 seasons, all the while we could have used a PP quarterback. You guys are hacking on Jordan Kochan....he was 2nd in MAAA scoring in Alta as a 16 year old. Another scorer turned into a checker........There are lots of them. I think our drafting has been pretty good. How does Harrison Ruopp play sparingly? (when he even dresses). Mark McNeill has had less than 8 PP shifts all year. I guess because our PP has been so good this year with the players they use, especially on the road. If we had coaching, even coaching that was 7-10th best in the league ok players would have developed and all the kids we liked at 15 and 16 would have been very good for us. IMHO Some of this pertains to current GM/Coach and some of it on Pete Anholt / Donn Clark

tuffguy
02-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Winther should come so he can see 1st hand how things work around PA. Then he can look forward to being in and out of the lineup next year, and when he does dress, being used sparingly at best.

Dwight Schrute
02-24-2010, 11:45 AM
coaching and the rule changes (and Trach's injury). There have been allot of kids over the years that looked very good at 15 and were run out of Dodge at 18 or 19. Gauthier and Palazzo also both had significant injury problems. Gauthier broke his leg his 17 year old season quite badly, and Palazzo broke his ankle twice, and was told he will have trouble with it probably for the rest of his life. One from a way back was Mike Wilson, a 2nd round pick in the 87 draft. Early in his 17 year old season they outright released him. SC listed him, and at 19 and 20 he scored 100 points in 2.5 seasons, all the while we could have used a PP quarterback. You guys are hacking on Jordan Kochan....he was 2nd in MAAA scoring in Alta as a 16 year old. Another scorer turned into a checker........There are lots of them. I think our drafting has been pretty good. How does Harrison Ruopp play sparingly? (when he even dresses). Mark McNeill has had less than 8 PP shifts all year. I guess because our PP has been so good this year with the players they use, especially on the road. If we had coaching, even coaching that was 7-10th best in the league ok players would have developed and all the kids we liked at 15 and 16 would have been very good for us. IMHO Some of this pertains to current GM/Coach and some of it on Pete Anholt / Donn Clark

mike wilson wasnt cut due to a lack of talent, he wasnt ready for the dub at 150 pounds. and he also needed a change in attitude.

every guy that makes the dub is a scorer in aaa, if u cant score there then u cant grind in the dub. u think fauchaux or gervais would be huge scorers in the dub ?

tuffguy
02-24-2010, 12:02 PM
really? Every guy is a scorer? Dead wrong. If I have to prove it I can look up some stats, but I don't want to waste time doing that if possible. Usually I think your posts are pretty good. I don't always agree, but usually respect what you say. But a blanket comment like every guy is a scorer? He was 2nd in the league. So there was one guy with more points. Kochan was only 16 when he did that, not a 17 year old.

Mike Wilson was still between 150 and 160 in SC. Was signed by the San Jose Sharks at 158 lbs. Attitude probelm? Like what, being underweight but extremely talented. Instead of cutting a player like that, don't you keep him in your program and "make him" buy into your program, and eat and workout like the rest of the players. The Raiders showed him and Penner the door instead of keeping them, and moulding them into the players and people the Raiders wanted them to be. A serious lack of foresight and confidence in the program and the people running it. Yet Anholt would work with a 19 year old moron like Kozak, but won't develop our own players with issues minor compared to Kozak. And Bruno shows Penner the door, but works with other teams castoffs and players with significant issues like McDonald and Bernhardt.

Don't get me wrong. I liked the deal for Kozak, and McDonald, and Bernhardt. But those guys were older and could contribute. Why show young players with minor flaws in personality etc the door instead of trying to work with them?

I have seen a development issue here for a while. Any changes in the last 10 years haven't improved that. We need a Gm with a plan, who is strong enough to see it through. A coach who will develop players and balance short term and long term gains.

tuffguy
02-24-2010, 12:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
we all know your thoughts and we cant even talk about anything without the broken record starting up again. Seriously any topic that comes up and you got to talk about the "superstar" Aasman

Raiderfan--When exactly did I bring up Ryan Aasmans name? You have a problem. You are the broken record. About all you have to offer is saying I am a broken record. You know my thoughts? You must know that I am thinking you should gfy......What pearls of wisdom have you offered this board. Say something of consequence. Take your time and think of something pertinent. I might have to wait a while. I won't reply to anymore of your thoughts on me or anything else you say, unless there is some thought and intelligence behind your post.

Dwight Schrute
02-24-2010, 12:34 PM
most guys that crack the dub hit a ppg rate or close to it at the midget level. hence the term scorer.
i brought up the names of the 5 busts. i thought it was on topic due to people chatting about how good some kids looked at 15, and didnt work out.

mike wilson got his head together and started working after he left pa. and with fritty, schlenks, shafer(when he was good), may, jones, gauthier. there wasnt a pressing need to baby wilson. swift gave him a show in a mid season call up and he did well, and stuck.

and tuffguy i really dont care if you respect or agree with my posts. people on here for over 4 years would agree, u and razz etc.... have really chased off some of the quality folks off here.

Raider Believer
02-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I would put Winther on the ice over Kochan any day. of course I also think Herle and Taylor should be playing over Kochan. I wouldnt be suprised to see Balson or Mackenzie up when there team is booted from playoffs. Bruno is real high on those 2

;) Balson & Mackenzie. Can't imagine why. :rolleyes: The former is 6 ft tall & 189 lbs. Passes hard and accurate, a good nose for the net, sees ice well and is very good positionally. The latter 6' 2'' + and 185 lbs, extreme speed, likes to hit and play physical, sees ice and creates chances. :clap: Teams need to build from within IMHO. I think Bruno has laid the foundation with guys like this and young Winther. And obviously 93's like McNeil and Ruopp. :)