PDA

View Full Version : poor decision

tuffguy
02-25-2010, 10:19 AM
When you can't win on the road, why would you play Tucker in the 4th last home game against a team you should beat?

I understand why he played Vancouver. But your MVP and arguably the best goalie in the Conference can't be on the bench for that game last night.

Actually thought the Raiders played pretty well. Good effort from the lesse lights / depth players. Every game just gets bigger and bigger, and they have 6 of 9 on the road.

Raider Believer
02-25-2010, 02:54 PM
When you can't win on the road, why would you play Tucker in the 4th last home game against a team you should beat?

I understand why he played Vancouver. But your MVP and arguably the best goalie in the Conference can't be on the bench for that game last night.

Actually thought the Raiders played pretty well. Good effort from the lesse lights / depth players. Every game just gets bigger and bigger, and they have 6 of 9 on the road.

:eek: I guess there are a zillion decisions that a head coach has to make over the course of a season. And there are probably an equal number of circumstances that we don't know about that influence the decision making process. At first blush I would agree with you. I would try and bank the points we should get, which means using Zemlak. And then take a flyer on Tucker for a couple of away games. But hey, I'm not the coach or GM.

BTW, does anyone have any idea or inside info as to whether or not all the prospects in the PA system will report for next year?? :(

SaskHockeyFan
02-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Believer, you are correct, you are not coach or GM. But as such, the GM and Coach needs to be held accountable if the team does not succeed.

Raider Believer
02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Believer, you are correct, you are not coach or GM. But as such, the GM and Coach needs to be held accountable if the team does not succeed.

;) And I'm sure he will be. I'm guessing the Board of Directors will not be sympathetic to unrealized post season gate receipts. My biggest concern isn't for the short term blush that a playoff post will give us. With or without Bruno at the helm, next year will be a rebuilding year. We just don't have enough quality 18 year olds (91s) that should be carrying the load for next year, which realistically means that we will have to dump some of them and bring in a major transfusion of new young blood and hope that they will develop in a year or two and that the team will have the patience to nurture and wait for that development. To reiterate, I don't guess it is easy being Bruno. Being a small market team doesn't help. Teams like Vancouver, Calgary, Kelowna don't have to sweat whether premium players will report i.e. McColgan would only have reported to Vancouver or Kelowna. Prince Albert is always juggling that uncertainty. Somehow the pattern has to be broken. Some folks might say that Bruno is making decisions to save his job and hurting the team in the long term. Maybe the solution is to give him a long term contract so he can make decisions in an unfettered fashion. That would be my vote. :groovy:

SaskHockeyFan
02-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Unfortunately that's where we disagree. Not ever being a fan of Bruno, in my opinion, the faster we get him out of town the better. But hey, that's only my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I would agree with you on the higher end players not wanting to come to PA though. Has there been a case in the last couple of years that this is true though.( with PA)

Raider Believer
02-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Unfortunately that's where we disagree. Not ever being a fan of Bruno, in my opinion, the faster we get him out of town the better. But hey, that's only my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I would agree with you on the higher end players not wanting to come to PA though. Has there been a case in the last couple of years that this is true though.( with PA)

:D PA, like all the teams just before the bantam draft, will talk to the prospective players they might draft. One of the questions asked will be "will you report if drafted?" I'm guessing that PA has not always received a positive response, therefore they have may have had to settle for a choice that may not have been the one they really wanted in that round. I know this is true in MJ for sure, as I was privy to one of those conversations .... in that case a trade was facilitated just before the draft and it worked out for MJ. :cool:

Sabes
02-25-2010, 05:33 PM
The 3 goals were all results of giveaways. 1 was directed off of Deck's stick. 1 of them a breakaway. Not much to fault Tucker for there. The giveaways were the biggest problem.

Raider Believer
02-25-2010, 05:44 PM
The 3 goals were all results of giveaways. 1 was directed off of Deck's stick. 1 of them a breakaway. Not much to fault Tucker for there. The giveaways were the biggest problem.

:p What??? And a goalie has never stopped a redirected shot or a break away??? :confused: Or maybe the way a goalie handles the puck or pushes shots off to the corner has never influenced a game??? :confused: Or a #1 goalie has never made the players in front of him play with more confidence?? I'm a big Tucker fan, but he is no Zemlak .... yet. But he will be, maybe even better. :clap: I think the team is solid with Tucker down the road. A good acquisition. Kudos to Bruno on this deal. Second round picks can more easily be replaced. Getting a good keeper is a lot tougher. :groovy:
BTW, a '95 kid by the name of Jackson Whistle from POE will be available in this year's Bantam draft. He is an incredible young goalie. Maybe he can be picked up by PA for the future. His Dad, Dave Whistle, used to be Bruno's coach in Europe. A nice connection.

tuffguy
02-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Raider believer, you are obviously a Bruno fan. Generally positive remarks and to know that info about that goalie and his dad's connection to Bruno, you have some kind of relationship to Bruno. Way to stand by your buddy.

You are dead wrong about using the 2nd on Tucker. the only good thing is its in 2011 andthey may be able to get a 2nd back by then.

I hope the board makes a decision on Bruno before ethe draft. If he isn't going to be with the team going forward, hopefully they have his replacement in place so he can start to put his stamp on the team.

Raider Believer
02-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Raider believer, you are obviously a Bruno fan. Generally positive remarks and to know that info about that goalie and his dad's connection to Bruno, you have some kind of relationship to Bruno. Way to stand by your buddy.

You are dead wrong about using the 2nd on Tucker. the only good thing is its in 2011 andthey may be able to get a 2nd back by then.

I hope the board makes a decision on Bruno before ethe draft. If he isn't going to be with the team going forward, hopefully they have his replacement in place so he can start to put his stamp on the team.

:D Hey tuffguy. I've only met Bruno once in my life. At best he would be an acquaintance. I heard about the connection with Whistle through a mutual acquaintance who knew both of them in Europe. Plus I've just been around hockey for too long! But on topic: are you seriously saying that a competant goalie for the future is not worth a second rounder in 2011? :confused:
I'm a Bruno supporter as long as he is with the team. He needs to get the benefit of the doubt. Its not like he's been there for years and years. Maybe he knows something we don't. I'm guessing he does. More to the point: I'm hoping he does!

tuffguy
02-25-2010, 06:14 PM
there are only 5 goalies in the WHL right now that were 1st or 2nd round picks. 2 were 1sts and 3 were 2nds. Of those 5, 2 are considered backups. Tucker may be an adequate starter. May be. In PA he has been ok. Few solid games and a few brutal games. If you are going to throw around 2nd picks, you better be sure of what you are getting. Bruno gives up a 2nd for Tucker, but when he trades Stanford he gets Wall and Yaworski? I try, but can't see the rationale behind his deals.

Raider Believer
02-25-2010, 06:29 PM
there are only 5 goalies in the WHL right now that were 1st or 2nd round picks. 2 were 1sts and 3 were 2nds. Of those 5, 2 are considered backups. Tucker may be an adequate starter. May be. In PA he has been ok. Few solid games and a few brutal games. If you are going to throw around 2nd picks, you better be sure of what you are getting. Bruno gives up a 2nd for Tucker, but when he trades Stanford he gets Wall and Yaworski? I try, but can't see the rationale behind his deals.

:) Hmmmm... I respectfully disagree. I think Yaworski alone is worth a 2nd round pick. The kid is fearless and will be around for another 3 years providing solid blueline play. He is big, coachable and terrific in the dressingroom. He comes from a great hockey program in Sherwood Park, AB. I know you were a big Aasman fan, but IMHO Yaworski brings more to the table, especially size and aggression. I think Bruno stole him. However, I agree that we didn't get enough for Aasman. I guess ya win some and you lose some. As I said earlier: I wouldn't want to be Bruno. Tough job. :p

tuffguy
02-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Yaworski is game, I will give you that. He sticks up for his mates etc.....and I like that in him. Not sure I have seen him win a fight yet. He is just an average skater, and his balance lets him down, especially in fights. His skill level and ability to think are average. He is a career depth dman. If he works on his balance and fighting he will be valuable to the Raiders. If he doesn't, he probably won't be here at 19. To say he is worht a 2nd round pick, come on.................mid to late 5-7th at best.

Dwight Schrute
02-26-2010, 04:44 PM
the stanford deal was fine. Wall has been a solid addition and Yaworski brings youth , size and (hopefully ) toughness. Stanford wouldnt have teams lined up for him if they watched him the previous year . He was far to inconsistant. Tucker actually reminds me alot of Stanford except that he can play the puck. And I also disagree that they will rebuild next year. They have 4 or 5 whl ready kids ready to step into forward spots and the D is already set as is goaltending. We will also draft 2 Euros to fill spots hopefully.

its a shame we couldnt have worked out a stanford for tucker deal earlier in the season, not that yaworski or wall were back pick ups

Dwight Schrute
02-27-2010, 11:42 AM
poor decision not to yank zemlak last night.
poor decision not to include physical play in the game plan.
poor decision to get walked all over.
poor decision to only have herrod stand in front of the net once and nobody else all game.
poor decision to show up and go through the motions. im glad i didnt pay for my ticket.
its amazing how the rivalry can die, and the team battling for playoffs against our biggest rival cant even throw a hit. id be ashamed to play like such a bunch of nancy's
give your head a shake

bet not a blade feels like he played a game last night

Dwight Schrute
02-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Ever since the year we traded Vann Gauthier and made Vann quit the Raiders have had the softest team in the league.....and I cant stand it.

when the raiders played blades in 05 and swept them they punished them physically every shift. mollekin saw this and has tried to build his teams in that way. it showed last night.
i miss seeing dane byers out there hitting everthing in sight.

reims
02-27-2010, 02:21 PM
poor decision not to yank zemlak last night.
poor decision not to include physical play in the game plan.
poor decision to get walked all over.
poor decision to only have herrod stand in front of the net once and nobody else all game.
poor decision to show up and go through the motions. im glad i didnt pay for my ticket.
its amazing how the rivalry can die, and the team battling for playoffs against our biggest rival cant even throw a hit. id be ashamed to play like such a bunch of nancy's
give your head a shake

bet not a blade feels like he played a game last night

zemlak played great last night....the 5-0 game wasnt his fualt at all, should been 10 or more nuthin

i agree raiders lack tuffness

dont match up good against a physical teams

dagley
02-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Looks like I'm set to go to a third straight boring game tonight, hopefully PA shows up to play, as do we.

Dwight Schrute
02-27-2010, 03:02 PM
zemlak played great last night....the 5-0 game wasnt his fualt at all, should been 10 or more nuthin

i agree raiders lack tuffness

dont match up good against a physical teams

yes zemlak played well but why not rest him, as we need him to try to make the playoffs

Razz
02-28-2010, 01:04 AM
So is everyone finally starting to realize what's going on here finally or what? Do I have the right to speak my opinion again or does that get another 2 week ban because a few meatheads can't handle it or basically see the big picture?

Opinions are like arseholes... everyone has one. Do you?

Razz
02-28-2010, 01:05 AM
So is everyone finally starting to realize what's going on here finally or what? Do I have the right to speak my opinion again or does that get another 2 week ban because a few meatheads can't handle it or basically see the big picture?

Dwight Schrute
02-28-2010, 01:06 AM

your posts were annoying and over the top, didnt contribute to any discussion, just stirred the pot

tuffguy
02-28-2010, 11:46 AM
go for it Razz. Apparently you and I chase away good people. Interesting huh? No personal attacks or anything. I think people don't want real opinions or anything that resembles the truth.

Dwight Schrute
02-28-2010, 12:25 PM
how many games have you 2 been to this season ? or viewed the webcast

WestLEAFfan
02-28-2010, 12:57 PM
go for it Razz. Apparently you and I chase away good people. Interesting huh? No personal attacks or anything. I think people don't want real opinions or anything that resembles the truth.

And, apparently you did not take the time off to learn people skills. You are back already and stirring the pot. It's not a good time to be in the Raider forum looking to bait. C'mon give it a break.

Raider Believer
02-28-2010, 12:58 PM
the stanford deal was fine. Wall has been a solid addition and Yaworski brings youth , size and (hopefully ) toughness. Stanford wouldnt have teams lined up for him if they watched him the previous year . He was far to inconsistant. Tucker actually reminds me alot of Stanford except that he can play the puck. And I also disagree that they will rebuild next year. They have 4 or 5 whl ready kids ready to step into forward spots and the D is already set as is goaltending. We will also draft 2 Euros to fill spots hopefully.

Who are the 4 or 5 WHL ready kids in your opinion? :cool:

tuffguy
02-28-2010, 03:02 PM
People skills? How many games have I been too? I haven't said one degrading thing on here. I question coaching tactics and some of the trades made. Because I'm not in love with the guy steering this ship into another sub .500 season I get hacked on. This team was twice 5 games over .500 this season. Can't win on the road, and doesn't develop enough of its own players. I get to enough games or watch on the web enough to have a valis opinion. Tell me what I have said on here that is out of bounds or out to lunch? Now back to the Canada / USA game

Raider Believer
02-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Well I would be very suprised if Balson and Mackenzie were not locks to make the team. I also think Willams is a lock. Winther and Danyluk will be very hard to cut. As well as Beau Steaurt. I know Beau hasent put up the #s we thought he should but he has the skills to play in the league. I would imagine either Sutton or Wasylenko will stay as a extra dman. And 2 wild card that look to be good enough to play if they dont go college route are Basara and Dylan Smith. I also wanted to mention about the Bruno bashing that I hear what people are saying and theres frustration for sure. But he took a team pegged to finish dead last and had us entertained all year with a playoff race. Is that enough to keep his job? I dont know to be honest

The Raider team needs to get tougher. :evil: Wasylenko & MacKenzie bring that element to their game. Especially the latter who leads his team in penalties (fights) this year. Both of them have good size and MacKenzie can outright fly. Wasylenko, like Yaworski has a big wing span. I don't know Dylan Smith but hear he is committed to the NCAA process and still needs to work on his skating. Marcus Basara is a small forward without any edge and I'm not sold on small and soft, but who knows. Sutton has decent size but is a big teddy bear and has problems transitioning back to front and vice versa, and will be beaten wide all day long, I saw him at a tourny earlier this year. Balson has good size and is decent along the boards and plays a very good positional game, he needs to raise the intensity level but I agree, he and MacKenzie should be there. Winther has superior skills and I agree will be hard to cut, and probably will be brought along slowly much like McNeil was this season. Stewart has very good speed but lacks size and grit and hockey IQ IMHO. Danyluk is probably a year or two away and is still a big maybe. :groovy:

Raider Believer
02-28-2010, 07:42 PM
I also wanted to mention about the Bruno bashing that I hear what people are saying and theres frustration for sure. But he took a team pegged to finish dead last and had us entertained all year with a playoff race. Is that enough to keep his job? I dont know to be honest

;) I've thought long and hard about this. I am reasonably convinced that it would be a mistake to let Bruno go, regardless of whether he makes the playoffs of not with the current team, he is well regarded in hockey circles. The team needs stability and patience. If the cupboard was bare and there was no hope for next year or thereafter, then ..... but that is not the case. Plus, I have it from a very good source that he is going no where. :cool:

Raider Believer
02-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Training camp is one of my favorite times of the year. There always is those 2 guys that come in and steal jobs. Hrynyk and Herle were those guys last year. I think the Raiders are going to have to look at moving either Maylan or Macneil to the wing because they both deserve to play top 2 lines and with Harrison already at center theres no room.

Totally agree about moving Maylan and/or McNeil to wing. MacKenzie and Winther are natural centers, although I've seen Mac play right wing also.
Hrynyk has had a great year IMO and will only get better. I'm not sure that Herle lived up to the training camp promise. ;)

Raider Believer
03-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Herle is pretty good defensivly and drops the gloves when needed. I think hes a perfect fit for the 4th line next year . But I would let him play center.

Sorry Raiderfan but I don't agree. 6 points so far this season and minus 9. Next season he will be a 19 year old. A team has to get more out of their 19 year olds. And at 5 ft 9 in. and 175 lbs (maybe) he is too small to be an effective fighter. And yes I know there have been some dynamite fighters of that stature i.e. Gary Howatt & Stan Jonathan, but they are few and far between. :p

Raider Believer
03-01-2010, 03:11 AM
a 4th line player on a team that isnt overly good is not going to have a good plus minus.

I think the idea is to bring in players that can get you more than 6 to 10 points a season, even on the 4th line! Sticking with the status quo will bring PA another season of mediocrity. :karate: