PDA

View Full Version : Rod Pedersen's blog

tuffguy
03-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Go to Rod Pedersen's blog and listen to the interview with Jordan Eberle's dad. At 1:30 in, interesting comments about PA being the only team to really show interest in him, but were probably backed off by college talk.

http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

Raider Believer
03-02-2010, 02:24 PM
That's interesting. Thanks for posting this. Its always a judgement call to know whether to draft and take a chance on losing a blue chipper to the NCAA option. I remain convinced that the premium American kids and premium bantam kids that are leaning towards NCAA are more likely to be persuaded to go the dub route if it is Calgary, Vancouver, Everett or Kelowna on the other end of the line.

Dwight Schrute
03-02-2010, 09:33 PM
so obrian was the only scout to show a real interest ?

SaskHockeyFan
03-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Nope, Murray Wacholtz.

Dwight Schrute
03-02-2010, 10:08 PM
wasnt obrian our scout for the 2005 bantam draft ?

tuffguy
03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
O'Brien was Head Scout, Wacholtz scouts from Martensville I believe. Probably a combination of both. Ultimately it would have been O'Brien. Interesting that Eberle's dad said that they were going to college. I heard he would have played for Regina or Calgary only. Where he grew up and where his parentslive now. I heard after Street, Marcuzzi and Julsith-White didn't show up Clark mandated O'Brien to take kids that were 100% committed to Prince Albert.

westbeach55
03-02-2010, 10:31 PM
tough situation, you either choose a player that will report to the raiders or you take a chance and how many chances can you afford to take in a draft

sbtatter
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
tough situation, you either choose a player that will report to the raiders or you take a chance and how many chances can you afford to take in a draft

Us small markets (PA, Bdn, SC, PG) are at a disadvantage in persuading draft picks and Euro's to report. Lucky for us that Wpg doesn't have a team to take all the Manitobans that Tri-Cities don't!!!!!

tuffguy
03-02-2010, 10:35 PM
in the 87 and 88 groups, for high risk picks the Raiders got Thelen, didn't get Marcuzzi, Street and Julseth White. Then they gave Wilson up for nothing and SC listed him and......the broken record thing....I can see why Clark was shy about risky picks.

Dwight Schrute
03-02-2010, 10:41 PM
if it were your kid where would you want him to go ? i certainly wouldnt be jumping the gun to choose PA, with their track record in the last decade for winning, developing pro's and the city itself.

westbeach55
03-02-2010, 10:42 PM
there are always players who are going to move or be traded that could turn out to be better players and looking after the fact maybe wasn't the best to let them go (wilson) kelly guard looked awfull in pa during his time here and nobody would have though a couple of years later he would have a mem cup. the raiders drafted dylan kemp before patrick marleau. hopefully we can predict more that turn out than don't. think we have some really solid picks coming in winther, danyluk

in the 87 and 88 groups, for high risk picks the Raiders got Thelen, didn't get Marcuzzi, Street and Julseth White. Then they gave Wilson up for nothing and SC listed him and......the broken record thing....I can see why Clark was shy about risky picks.

Dwight Schrute
03-06-2010, 12:37 AM
there are always players who are going to move or be traded that could turn out to be better players and looking after the fact maybe wasn't the best to let them go (wilson) kelly guard looked awfull in pa during his time here and nobody would have though a couple of years later he would have a mem cup. the raiders drafted dylan kemp before patrick marleau. hopefully we can predict more that turn out than don't. think we have some really solid picks coming in winther, danyluk

its far to early to say they are solid. full of potential yes. but they need to be developed.

Raider Believer
03-07-2010, 02:13 PM

:cool: You think we have some solid picks in Winther & Danyluk? Have you watched them play? Probably not. I have seen them. At least you're half right. Winther is a keeper but has stuggled a bit this season. Danyluk is smallish, physically immature, skating average, weak on the puck and along the boards. From what I've seen, a very sketchy 2nd rounder. PA's 93 list player Marcus Basara is much stronger, faster and more skilled and a much more interesting prospect IMHO and even he has issues with size and strength. PA needs to hope that some of their prospects work hard and develop over the summer, and then more importantly, that they report. And if they report, that they agree to play even if they make the team! I'm not sure that's an automatic given all the options out there for players.

Dwight Schrute
03-07-2010, 02:23 PM
:cool: You think we have some solid picks in Winther & Danyluk? Have you watched them play? Probably not. I have seen them. At least you're half right. Winther is a keeper but has stuggled a bit this season. Danyluk is smallish, physically immature, skating average, weak on the puck and along the boards. From what I've seen, a very sketchy 2nd rounder. PA's 93 list player Marcus Basara is much stronger, faster and more skilled and a much more interesting prospect IMHO and even he has issues with size and strength. PA needs to hope that some of their prospects work hard and develop over the summer, and then more importantly, that they report. And if they report, that they agree to play even if they make the team! I'm not sure that's an automatic given all the options out there for players.
i saw basara 5-6 times this season, he isnt very big though, and i dontknowhow that translates to the next level. the bigger question is if he wants to play in pa or in the bchl
his teammate daniel dale sure plays with alot of jam, gritty and hits hard (like byers almost)

Raider Believer
03-07-2010, 02:42 PM
i saw basara 5-6 times this season, he isnt very big though, and i dontknowhow that translates to the next level. the bigger question is if he wants to play in pa or in the bchl
his teammate daniel dale sure plays with alot of jam, gritty and hits hard (like byers almost)

:( Unfortunately it doesn't translate to the next level. The only counters to lack of size is grit, scoring prowness and extreme speed, all three attributes in embarrassing abundance; Brendan Gallagher of the Vancouver Giants is a good example ;)

Sabes
03-08-2010, 06:06 PM

Dale was actually at Raider camp this year. Looked pretty good.

dagley
03-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Us small markets (PA, Bdn, SC, PG) are at a disadvantage in persuading draft picks and Euro's to report. Lucky for us that Wpg doesn't have a team to take all the Manitobans that Tri-Cities don't!!!!!

Thank god Luke talked Schenner into coming to town. if anybody didnt know, Schenn wasnt going to report to Brandon

SaskHockeyFan
03-10-2010, 08:56 AM
Dagley, for the most part I agree with your posts and appreciate you taking part in the PA part of this forum. Unfortunately, when it comes to the story of Luke talking Brayden into going to Brandon that is simply not the truth. It was Kelly who talked Brayden into going to Brandon and only after the Schenn family realized Brayden had no other options. 100% of the credit for getting Brayden to report has to go to Kelly McCrimmon.

Allin44
03-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Dagley, for the most part I agree with your posts and appreciate you taking part in the PA part of this forum. Unfortunately, when it comes to the story of Luke talking Brayden into going to Brandon that is simply not the truth. It was Kelly who talked Brayden into going to Brandon and only after the Schenn family realized Brayden had no other options. 100% of the credit for getting Brayden to report has to go to Kelly McCrimmon.

Yeah the story basically goes the Schenns wanted him traded closer to Luke. KM said not happening, and the rest as they say, is history.

dagley
03-10-2010, 10:06 AM
From what I do remember, I heard Brayden saying his brother was a big influence on his decision to report. His brother talked to players and said it was a good place to play junior. Perhaps I am wrong, however it all worked out for the best.

SaskHockeyFan
03-10-2010, 10:41 AM
That may have been the story they gave after he had agreed to report but it was not the case at the time. Truth is it was Kelly who forced their hand.
I would for sure agree that it did work out for the best. Kelly gave Schenn every opportunity he needed to succeed and it has worked out well for both of them. I wish players who are trying to demand where they get to play would actually know the truth about the Schenn / McCrimmon story. There may just be enough good come out of the truth then to show some of these players that reporting to the team that drafts you is still the best way to go. Even if it is PG. A weaker team allows younger players more ice time etc. As long as they aren't pushed into a position where too much pressure is placed on them too young. Players don't always respond positively to that.

Joe Hallenback
03-10-2010, 10:41 AM
That is the story I heard. If I remember correctly Cowen and Ferraro were always 1-2 going into that draft. Schenn,Bubnick, and Ashton were 3,4 and 5. Schenn makes rumblings ala Evander Kane(who was going to be a top 10 pick until he said I won't go anywhere but Vancouver)that he wanted to go to Kelowna. KM drafts him ONLY because Cody Eakin went to Swifty. KM was high on Eakin but he was gone. So he drafts Schenn and convinces him to report.

Part of the whole package was KM absolutely promising him not only was he going to be a first round pick but that Brandon was going to be hosting the Memorial cup 1 year after his draft year.

Not only that but we steal Glennie in the second round because of attitude issues many people felt he had(and he does) but KM keeps him in check and we get a second top 10 NHL draft pick out of that draft.

eighty
03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Just wondering what sort of attitude issues did/does Glennie have?

dagley
03-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Lots of "rumors", and I say rumors cause I haven't heard any of this except on this board. Apparently he had a run in with the police last week and just has attitude problems.

eighty
03-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Oh ok, yeah it was just out of curiosity I don't mean to start rumors or anything.

Joe Hallenback
03-10-2010, 01:19 PM
He had attitude issues in Bantam in Winnipeg and it is one of the biggest reasons he fell to the second round. KM is awesome for taking guys with attitudes and getting the most out of them. He may be the best in the league at that.

EOK1
03-10-2010, 02:03 PM
He had attitude issues in Bantam in Winnipeg and it is one of the biggest reasons he fell to the second round. KM is awesome for taking guys with attitudes and getting the most out of them. He may be the best in the league at that.

Donnie Glennie must hate his life...got cut, little bro better than him and now a first round NHL pick.

Wheat Kings #1
03-10-2010, 03:21 PM
In regards to Schenn, I remember hearing it directly from a Media person here in Brandon at the time, that it was Luke who finally told Brayden to get his ass down here. KM did play hardball with him, and told him of the good situation he was coming into regarding ice time etc. as we graduated half our forwards that summer but he was holding out for a trade till Luke stepped in just before training camp.

Wheat Kings #1
03-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Now back to Glennie. Heard his latest issue was a curfew violation and of course the Beef/limo/police rumour. Have to wonder why anyone would hook up with "Beef", Everyone else in town knows all about him. I guess he is a player agent now?? My God, I thought they tried to clean that service up a bit years ago.

Bocephus
03-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Now back to Glennie. Heard his latest issue was a curfew violation and of course the Beef/limo/police rumour. Have to wonder why anyone would hook up with "Beef", Everyone else in town knows all about him. I guess he is a player agent now?? My God, I thought they tried to clean that service up a bit years ago.
Now as an outsider I am dying to know what/who "Beef" is.

dagley
03-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Darryl Wolski, he's a promoter/apparently a player agent now. Guys a retard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darryl_Wolski

Wheat Kings #1
03-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Your being FAAAAR too nice dagley in refering to Beef as a retard! A buddy checked him out a few years ago on a web site to do with Manitoba Courts? Not sure what it actually is, but if you find it and want to print it off you'll need to buy a new black ink cartrige first! Not the best "agent" a young kid with $$ coming could pick to hang with.

Scott
03-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I know beef personally not through what is said in newspapers, ebrandon etc... and he is a good guy and has done alot of GOOD things for Brandon, wwhl,wshl xfest and countless hockey tournys in BDN. Sure he has made some mistakes in his past but I'm am positive he has done more good for Brandon than both of you combined.

SaskHockeyFan
03-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Wheat Kings #1, that was the story from the media only. Anyone even remotely interested in SK knew the real story. The Schenn family was not quiet about their feelings at all, including Luke. Kelly did the convincing, not Luke. Whatever story they want to create for the media after is fine but the truth of the matter is as we have said.

Wheat Kings #1
03-11-2010, 03:12 PM
You are correct,that was the "media" story out here regarding the Schenn's. Also heard (from the media peaple again) that Brayden and his dad stopped in and spoke with Kelly in his office at the end of his first season and thanked him.So either way it all turned out for the best for all involved.

Wheat Kings #1
03-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Manitoba courts web site is not e-brandon, and as far as newspapers the last couple of articles about "Beef" had to do with him being sued by his partners in the "Curling match" he ran here in Brandon, and also how his partner's kicked him out of his x-fest concert ran here in Brandon. As for his hockey programs they are all for profit, for Beef. If you think he is such a " GOOD" guy,and he is always looking for investors in something. Give him your money and get back to us and let us know how it all worked out.

Scott
03-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Well i guess you better go look at your manitoba courts website and see if he was ACTUALLY charged with anything. Also I have had many dealing with Beef over the years and not once been burned....there is always two sides to the story bud

bcas70
03-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Manitoba courts web site is not e-brandon, and as far as newspapers the last couple of articles about "Beef" had to do with him being sued by his partners in the "Curling match" he ran here in Brandon, and also how his partner's kicked him out of his x-fest concert ran here in Brandon. As for his hockey programs they are all for profit, for Beef. If you think he is such a " GOOD" guy,and he is always looking for investors in something. Give him your money and get back to us and let us know how it all worked out.

For the record, Tournament of Champions is sanctioned and run by Hockey Brandon and is for profit for them, not Beef. AAA Hockey Challenge is a highly successful tournament which is run and accordingly so profited by Beef.

Wildeyes
03-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Not to sound weird or anything but Can you move it to the Brandon Side LOL

Wheat Kings #1
03-12-2010, 11:37 AM
So right, case closed! Now how bout them Raiders! Lol. Does any one know if your 1st Round pick last year Mike Winther is the Son of Mike Winther who played here in Brandon for the Wheat Kings in parts of 2 seasons,79-80 and 80-81? Your guy is from AB while ours was from B.C. Just wondering, I have never seen anything about it so not sure. Elder Winther was a pretty good player although he had some run ins with the coaching staff and was dealt back to MH who we aquired him from part way through the previous season. Also noticed your Winther has yet to play a league game for you guys, has he committed to the Raiders yet?

westbeach55
03-13-2010, 04:02 PM
he said in the herald today that he didn't want to bring up the kids in this situation with the raiders just out of the playoffs and if it happened a couple of weeks ago like edmonton he would have