PDA

View Full Version : players of the future

witness
03-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Next years Pats are going to struggle to score. Weal will need help. I have been waiting for Mitchell to mature into a consistant score, and that doesn't look like it will happen. The protected list has a few scorers on it (Stephenson, D. Stevenson, & Reinboldt), but as 16 and 17 year olds are they going to make up the numbers put up by Eberle and Strueby?
How about looking at smaller guys that have been over looked like:
Taylor Fauchoux - PA ('92, 5'9" small guy with a ton of skill)
Jake Heisinger - Winnipeg (5'9", leads the Manitoba league in scoring)
Bryce Gervais - PA (91, 5'8")
Graham Black - A Regina boy that has done well with the Canadians
Sammy Spurrell - '92 from Sherwood Park (I have a tough time believing that this kid was not drafted, but I couldn't find anything)
Dakota Mason - Edmonton ('92, 6'1, size and a scoring touch

I am sure there are more kids out there. The scouting staff is going to have to come up with 3 or 4 gems , like Guhle and Davidson, for next year. The Pats can not rely on the draft alone. It is time for the scouts to beat the midget bushes and come up with some players that can step in next year.

patsdude114
03-04-2010, 04:42 PM
I dont think the Pats will have as much trouble scoring as some think they will. Weal will score & when Ashton gets sent back to juniors this guy will score as well. Throw in Gustafsson who has been finding his way the past month & half this guy has pure skill it took him awhile to adapt to the North American game look for him to take a regular shift with Weal next year both small slick forwards with high skill levels.

As for ur comment with Mitchell lets remember he is only 18 he has 15 goals in 52 games this year & has been hampered with some injuries this year. He has raisen his goal totals every year since being in the WHL thats all u can ask for with these young players. Mitchell will be our Captain next year, he will be the RW on the 2nd line. I think next year Mulder will be our 2nd line C this kid has alot of untapped potential he has put up 13 pts in 57 games on the 4th line all year. He works hard every game i really hope Hunt gives him more of a role in these final 5 games of the year, let him prove that he is capable of playing with more skilled players.

Ive really been let down with Orfino's lack of effort, we brought him in to bring that work ethic which he was known for in LETH. On most nights he has problems out working Guhle (who sits on the bench as the back up goalie) Do the Pats really consider him as a 20 yr old for next season?? Or do we just come into camp with only Mappin (who i think has given a great effort since coming to Regina) having 2 open 20 yr old spots in camp can open the door alot to bring in some capable 20 yr olds who are caught in a numbers game with there current teams. There are a few teams out there with alot of 19 yr olds this season who just rnt good enough to make the jump to pro hockey yet.

I hope the Pats are able to call up a couple young guys for there final 3 home games this year. The Pats fans havent seen a single underage prospect all season long. Peel, Graham & Pavkovich have all played on the road this season. Would be nice if the Pats can show the Pats fans what Stephenson, D. Stevenson, & Reinboldt are capable of give us a glimpse of these players.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM
We got Mikael Jung in that trade with vancouver, who is a little guy with offensive skills...I dont see us adding any small guys to the lineup next year(aside from Stephenson who will/should make the team). We already got Hutt returning next year to play big minutes, and along with Weal and Gusty we cant afford to play any more little guys. If we still have the pick, I can see us using our European draft pick to get another offensive guy if need be.

What we really need is more size and toughness, especially if Ashton doesnt come back(though he should). We could use another McColm type on defence too, as outside of Bell and maybe Sparrow(who we might not take back), theres not too much grit back there playing big minutes.

dagley
03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
LMAO

west coast
03-04-2010, 11:32 PM
i believe that the Pats have to go in a new direction.Presently..the team is too small and sure there is talent but it has not resulted in wins.The Eastern teams bang and crash and teams like the Pats get worn down.I believe guys like Ashton,Orfino and Mappin bring a good work ethic and they play greasy hockey.They will drop the gloves, finish checks and pop in the odd goal and are responsible players for the whole 200 ft of ice.I am not a fan of firewagon 8-7 hockey games.The Pats need more size and more responsible players.The Pats also need more players that are hard to play against.

Scout
03-05-2010, 02:57 AM
Show a little respect to your fellow posters and quit trolling on this forum. There are other boards for that and i for one respect all posters and teams on whlfans.ca. That is the reason we started this forum was because of the trolling that was permitted on other boards. You make digs at other teams and the fans will protect their team. If you wish to troll then troll somewhere else.

Scout

sbtatter
03-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Next years Pats are going to struggle to score. Weal will need help. I have been waiting for Mitchell to mature into a consistant score, and that doesn't look like it will happen. The protected list has a few scorers on it (Stephenson, D. Stevenson, & Reinboldt), but as 16 and 17 year olds are they going to make up the numbers put up by Eberle and Strueby?
Sammy Spurrell - '92 from Sherwood Park (I have a tough time believing that this kid was not drafted, but I couldn't find anything)

I am sure there are more kids out there. The scouting staff is going to have to come up with 3 or 4 gems , like Guhle and Davidson, for next year. The Pats can not rely on the draft alone. It is time for the scouts to beat the midget bushes and come up with some players that can step in next year.

That's a pretty interesting list of players who I'm assuming aren't drafted or on a protected list? Good scouting is so important, especially to us small market teams hey?
The upside to the Pats missing the playoffs is that you can play the heck out of 16s and 17s the rest of the way, see what the future looks like.

witness
03-05-2010, 09:18 AM
It is hard to say if they are on a protection list. I don't have privy to that information.
I agree that Mulder and Reider will play a bigger role next year. I have been a big fan of Mulder for the past two years and thought he deserved more playing time.
I don't know about Mitchell for captain. Love the work ethic, hate the stupid penalities.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hutt didn't come back. Fell in Hunts dog house and couldn't get out. Went from 2nd line playing time to 4th line and a scratch.
I agree that Ofinio didn't come as advertised. Hopefully he rededicates himself over the summer and comes back to be an impact player. It speaks volumes for the team when your best offensive center is also you best defensive center and the best draw man (Weal).
I would expect Gustafsson, Weal and Ashton to be the first line. Things start to thin out after that.
Black, Spurrell and Mason are not tiny guys. Mason has decent size. And you can't replace the skill level of Fauchoux and Hersinger. by the way, Hersinger's Dad is the GM of the Manitoba Moose.
All I am saying is the scouts have to earn their money this off season and bring in some guys that can excell at the WHL level. Guys like Davidson or Matt Hubbauer.
I would assume that the Pats would be in the market for a physical 20 year old defense man. Something that they will need next year. Not Davidson's game and Carlson, although skilled, is a little soft. Bell excells at being physical, but you can not rely on a 17 year old for that role.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-05-2010, 12:40 PM
It depends if Hutt can come back as good or better than he did in his first few games. His injuries probably affected his game a bit. I think he showed some good skill in his time here, and will be an important player if he finds his game. He could be good with Ashton as a smart winger with a nose for the net, instead of putting two puck possession guys like Ashton and Weal together.

I also agree about Orfino. He had some good shifts here and there, but disappeared after awhile. Perhaps if he has some competition for his spot in camp, like another 20 year old forward, he might be more motivated to be the pesty forechecker we need.

On the topic of physical defenceman, I agree. Kamloops has a surplus of physical defencemen, perhaps we could pluck one from them. Caron is a tough fighter and a tough player that would come cheap. Probably a good replacement for Sparrow.

Allin44
03-05-2010, 03:06 PM
We'll trade you anybody 18 or older on our team next year for 16 year olds :)

PeacefulChaos
03-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Too bad about Orfino, he always showed lots of heart and effort in Lethbridge. Didn't score lots, but he was always blocking shots and throwing big hits.

patsdude114
03-05-2010, 04:00 PM
I have been very disappointed in Orfino since the trade, i always loved his game when LETH would come to town, i used to think he was a very good faceoff guy too but maybe that was just cuz the Pats suck so badly at faceoffs. Now he looks below avg at best

CanesCrazy
03-05-2010, 04:50 PM
It is hard to hear that Craig Orfino, one of the hardest working Hurricanes and a huge fan favorite, has not found his niche in Regina. We look at the success Kyle Beach has had this season after being traded and we say "Good for him. Sometimes a trade is all a player needs to find that spark again". In Orfino's case, maybe the trade killed his spark.

He's a very talented player and I too hope that he goes into Regina's training camp with new fire and looking like the player that Hurricanes fans know him to be.

west coast
03-05-2010, 09:14 PM

The Pats do not need any more players that are 5 ft 9 - how can a team stand a chance with a team loaded with small players? would Parker change his approach and start rebuilding? what would a Jordan Weal bring in a trade ?

witness
03-05-2010, 10:13 PM
West Coast, there are some successful teams that are smaller. MH comes to mind.
The key is the skilled guys have to be flying, you can't hit what you can't catch. And your big guys have to be bangers.
You what to trade Weal?? The only reason that I would buy tickets next year. Weals' draft status goes up after every game. I would think that he would be a low 2nd, top 3rd right now. It is hard to teach hockey insticts. I would imagine it would be a top prospect and a low first or top second draft pick.

west coast
03-06-2010, 12:13 AM
West Coast, there are some successful teams that are smaller. MH comes to mind.
The key is the skilled guys have to be flying, you can't hit what you can't catch. And your big guys have to be bangers.
You what to trade Weal?? The only reason that I would buy tickets next year. Weals' draft status goes up after every game. I would think that he would be a low 2nd, top 3rd right now. It is hard to teach hockey insticts. I would imagine it would be a top prospect and a low first or top second draft pick.

i agree with you Witness that if regina has small guys then they must be fast.I also agree that the big guys must crash.But i feel that the Pats are too small and would not rank among the fastest teams in the league.I asked the question of what would trading Weal yield in return as a food for thought.I heard tonight that the Pats will be missing the playoffs for the second year in a row for the first time in team history.could this be true? Change is needed or does Parker stand pat and hopefully the team blossoms with what they have

nivek_wahs
03-06-2010, 07:38 AM
i agree with you Witness that if regina has small guys then they must be fast.I also agree that the big guys must crash.But i feel that the Pats are too small and would not rank among the fastest teams in the league.I asked the question of what would trading Weal yield in return as a food for thought.I heard tonight that the Pats will be missing the playoffs for the second year in a row for the first time in team history.could this be true? Change is needed or does Parker stand pat and hopefully the team blossoms with what they haveIn their modern history that would be correct. But in the teams complete history dating back to 1917-18 the Patricia Hockey Club (team team name at the time) missed the playoffs in back-to back years in 1919-20 and 1920-21.

Of the 80 actual seasons the Pats have played (not including the year the Pats and Falcons merged to become the Monarchs [1927-28] and when the team folded from 1934-46) the Pats have only missed playoff action in 11 seasons. In the 15 year Parker Era the Pats have missed the playoffs in 4 of such seasons.

Kevin

west coast
03-06-2010, 12:13 PM
thanks on confirming that the Pats had not missed the playoffs in back to back seasons .I heard that stat on the Shaw broadcast last night of the Seattle,Kelowna game.It didnt sound right but it just goes to show that the Pats have had a great tradition of winning hockey and alot of history.It was nice to see the Pats win last night!!