PDA

View Full Version : Game 1 wHL final

Jovorock
05-06-2005, 11:45 AM
It's been pretty quiet around here lately, kick it up. What is gonna happen in tonites game one? Are the rested Rockets coming out of gates firing on the Wheaties?

mccabe23
05-06-2005, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I've been wondering why it's been so quiet lately. Everyone must have their game faces on.

After a quiet first period of both teams feeling each other out, the Rockets will take the energy from the home crowd and take it to the Wheaties. Shea will set the tone early and send a message to the Brandon players that if they want to carry the puck, they will pay dearly. I say 4-1 Rockets!

Jovorock
05-06-2005, 12:12 PM
I think it will be a quiet first period also mccabe. It will be a physical game with Kelowna holding it's own. Look for Plante to give up some rebounds and the Rockets picking up the garbage.

Rockets 4-3 :clap:

WHEATKINGS 04-05 CHAMPS
05-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Look to see a punishing game 1,Brandon will be firing on all cylinders. Like I said before the Rockets havent seen fire power yet these playoffs til tonight :thumb:

Go Wheaties Go

mccabe23
05-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Look to see a punishing game 1,Brandon will be firing on all cylinders. Like I said before the Rockets havent seen fire power yet these playoffs til tonight :thumb:

Go Wheaties Go

Perhaps, but Brandon has seen nothing remotely close to the Kelowna Rockets.

Jovorock
05-06-2005, 12:55 PM
I copied this from a email I received from the Rockets, towards the end it says that they will park the bus and fly. Why did the wheaties bus it all this way to fly back?

ROCKETS' FLIGHT PLAN

2005 WHL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Game 1: Friday May 6, 2005 - 7:00 PM Prospera Place

vs. Brandon Wheat Kings

Game 2: Saturday May 7, 2005 - 7:00 PM Prospera Place
vs. Brandon Wheat Kings
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Given that opposites attract, it's no real surprise that the Rockets and Brandon Wheat Kings will cross paths in search of a WHL Championship. Separated geographically by 1,070 miles of rivers, mountains, trees and prairie, the two teams are a study in contrast on the ice as well.

Brandon is the league's most free-wheeling, high powered offensive machine. Though not a prolific as the Edmonton Oilers of the 1980's or the vintage Wheat Kings of the same era, their offense productivity is miles ahead of the pack - and has been all year.

In 19 playoff games thus far, Brandon has scored 72 goals - a total that is 16 ahead of the Rockets who sit in second place. Meanwhile their 54 goals against are tops in the postseason by 14. During the regular season, Brandon's 255 goals were the best in the WHL by 21. They allowed 199 goals against - far from the worst in the league but still nearly a goal per game more than Kelowna (139). 'Sufficiency of abundancy is an apt description of the Wheaties' operating formula.

To make matters worse for Kelowna, the top 3 playoff scorers are members of the Eastern Conference Champions. The Eric Fehr, Ryan Stone and Lance Monych trio has 35 goals and 78 points amoung them. In the regular season, it was much the same story. Fehr (111 pts.) and Stone (99) finished one-two in the league with Tim Konsorada ending up 4th with 87 points. Meanwhile, Monych's 66 points were good for 19th. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which names will be circled on the chalk board in the Kelowna dressing room.

But, to get right down to it, the Rockets will absolutely have to keep the frightening Brandon power play unit in check. Simply, it's the best in the west! In the postseason, the unit has cashed in on 25% of its chances while scoring a hefty 22 goals - 30% of Brandon's total scoring output. In the regular season, Brandon blew away the field with 99 power play goals and a 24.2 % efficiency. It's enough to give a coach like Jeff Truitt heartburn.

"We'll have to be real smart in our positional play against their power play," Truitt said. "They've got a lot of experience on that unit and they've been the best in the league all year. We can't afford to give them any easy opportunities."

Given the immense travel distance, the teams will park the bus and switch to air travel as their primary means of transportation. While the series' 2-3-2 format will ease the travel burden it poses a new challenge as Truitt explains.

"It makes sense from a travel standpoint," says Truitt. "But, it makes your home games all the more important."

Translation: Truitt and the Rockets will not be happy with anything other than a sweep of the first two games. They don't want to be heading into Brandon's home barn tied or trailing. At home, the Wheat Kings are 8-2 this postseason and their power play is even more deadly. On the road they're a more human 4-4.

Meanwhile, the Rockets are riding a 4-game winning streak on home ice after a sputtering 2-4 start in this year's playoffs.

WHEATKINGS 04-05 CHAMPS
05-06-2005, 01:23 PM
I guess we will have to wait and see.

Go Wheaties Go

Jovorock
05-06-2005, 01:39 PM
I guess we will have to wait and see.

Go Wheaties Go
It will be great tonite, we played Calgary pretty tight with two wins and a tie so these two teams are very close. During the regular season Brandon had 255gf and 199 ga. Kelowna had 215 gf and 139 ga. Brandon scored 19% more goals and let in 43% more!

This playoffs Brandon has 72 gf and 54 ga, Kelowna has 56 gf and 38 ga. so Brandon has scored 29% more goals and let in 42% more. Brandon hasn't faced a team that can check like Kelowna, then the Rockets turn it into a offensive chance.

WHEATKINGS 04-05 CHAMPS
05-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Lets just hope for a hard fought battle in this series. Brandon does have there hands full but so did they against Calgary and PA. And about your record against Calgary they are a far better team this post season than they where through out the season.

Go wheaties GO

kelownakarl
05-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Lets just hope for a hard fought battle in this series. Brandon does have there hands full but so did they against Calgary and PA. And about your record against Calgary they are a far better team this post season than they where through out the season.

Go wheaties GO

Thanks for all this wonderful insight champ.

cheers......

C.F
05-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Props to Yeomans. Not many goalies can shut down Brandon's offencive power like he did.

My prediction is Kelowna in 5. I also predict they will win the Memorial cup.(unfortunatly :p ). This is bad news for Rocket fans, my predictions always seem to be wrong ;)

Jovorock
05-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Props to Yeomans. Not many goalies can shut down Brandon's offencive power like he did.

I just hope Yeomans is playing tonite, the knee to his back from Later was pretty bad. How Zalaski didn't give him more was unbelievable. It was a clear knee to his back and it was cheap. Yeomans looked very stiff after the game.