PDA

View Full Version : Hitmen vs Warriors Round 1

Hitmen1
03-14-2010, 10:27 PM
The Warriors lost to the Broncos in a shoot out tonight which means the Warriors are headed to Calgary to play the Hitmen in the first round.

The season series was tied at 2-2 but only 1 of those games were played after the Christmas break. Here is a short breakdown of the season series.

Oct. 4th-Warriors 4 at Hitmen 3-Moose Jaw scores 3-3rd period goals to win.
1. M.J Frazee, (2) (Hood), 19:23
2. CAL Foucault, (1) (Stone, MacKenzie), 8:40 (PP)
2. CAL Wilson, (2) (Bonsor, Broda), 13:24 (PP)
2. CAL Foucault, (2) (Royer, Aschim), 19:31
3. M.J Hamonic, (2) (Stanton), 4:15
3. M.J Rowinski, (6) , 9:07 (PP)
3. M.J Hood, (1) , 16:06
Goalies:
MJ: Glover 33 saves CAL: Snider 17 saves.

Oct. 10th-Hitmen 3 at Warriors 6-Jason Bast had a hat trick.
1. M.J Bast, (10) (MacMaster, Scott), 16:05
2. M.J Smuk, (1) (Hamonic, Edwards), 2:16
2. M.J Edwards, (7) (Rowinski, Smuk), 14:24 (PP)
3. CAL Sylvester, (1) (Burgart), 1:45
3. CAL Stone, (3) (Broda, MacKenzie), 4:00 (PP)
3. M.J Howden, (7) (Frazee, Bast), 7:05
3. CAL Broda, (3) (Madaisky, Kozun), 12:43
3. M.J Bast, (11) (Howden), 15:25
3. M.J Bast, (12) , 19:49 (EN)
Goalies:
CAL-Komistek 22 saves MJ-Bosch 29 saves.

Nov. 18th-Hitmen 2 at Warriors 1 OT-Warriors tie the game in the final minute only to lose in OT.
2. CAL Stone, (11) (Fisenko, Kozun), 16:20 (PP)
3. M.J Rowinski, (16) (Hamonic, Hood), 19:19
OT. CAL Stone, (12) (Kozun, Bonsor), 2:24
Goalies:
CAL-Jones 25 saves MJ-Bosch 28 saves

Jan. 22nd-Warriors 0 at Hitmen 5-Joel Broda scored a natural hat trick.
1. CAL Bubnick, (18) (Shattock, Nyren), 12:09
1. CAL Kozun, (23) (MacKenzie, Shattock), 15:39 (PP)
2. CAL Broda, (22) (Cowan, Nyren), 19:19 (PP)
3. CAL Broda, (23) (Nyren), 2:50
3. CAL Broda, (24) (Stone, Shattock), 5:05 (PP)
Goalies:
MJ-Bosch 24 saves, Glover 2 saves CAL-Jones 23 saves.

Allin44
03-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Hitmen in 4.

Nice thing is you don't have to worry about any MJ fans coming on and trolling in here :D

Hitmen1
03-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Here is the schedule for round 1:

Moose Jaw @ Calgary Thursday, March 18 7:00
Moose Jaw @ Calgary Saturday, March 20 7:00
Calgary @ Moose Jaw Monday, March 22 7:00
Calgary @ Moose Jaw Tuesday, March 23 7:00
Moose Jaw @ Calgary Thursday, March 25 7:00
Calgary @ Moose Jaw Saturday, March 27 7:00
Moose Jaw @ Calgary Monday, March 29 7:00

Jimbo24
03-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Calgary sweep
No howden, No mcllrath, No chance

dagley
03-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Hitmen in 4.

Nice thing is you don't have to worry about any MJ fans coming on and trolling in here :D

Trolling makes this board awesome

Fisticuffs
03-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Calgary will take it in 4 or 5 :D

GO HITMEN GO!

agent
03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Calgary sweep
No howden, No mcllrath, No chance

What makes you think Howden and Mcllrath are out of the picture .:)

Did anyone notice that Stanton and Bast didn't play the 3rd period against Swift and they Matched up the 3rd and 4th lines against Eakins Line.;)

Jimbo24
03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
What makes you think Howden and Mcllrath are out of the picture .:)

Did anyone notice that Stanton and Bast didn't play the 3rd period against Swift and they Matched up the 3rd and 4th lines against Eakins Line.;)
I didn't watch the game so i didn't pick up on that. But what is the update on the injuries? I heard they were a week or 2 away.

dagley
03-16-2010, 02:35 PM
I read Howden was 4-6 weeks, about 2 weeks ago. I think.

Hitmen1
03-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I've added a poll.

MJ Fan
03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Just Trolling......

Hitmen1
03-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Preview from the WHL website:

(1) CALGARY HITMEN vs (8) MOOSE JAW WARRIORS

2009-10 regular-season record: (W-L-OTL-SOL, PTS)
Calgary: 52-17-1-2, 107pts (L10: 9-0-0-1)
Moose Jaw: 33-27-5-7, 78pts (L10: 4-3-0-3)

2009-10 head-to-head record:
Calgary: 2-2-0-0, 4pts
Moose Jaw: 2-1-1-0, 5pts

2009-10 head-to-head top scorers:
Calgary:
Joel Broda 4gp-4g-2a-6pts
Michael Stone 4gp-3g-2a-5pts

Moose Jaw:
Jason Bast 3gp-3g-1a-4pts
Brendan Rowinski 4gp-2g-1a-3pts

The Calgary Hitmen and Moose Jaw Warriors meet up in the post-season for the first time since the 2007-08 season. Ryan White and the Hitmen defeated Jordan Knackstedt and the Warriors four games to two in the first round of the 2008 WHL playoffs.

The Hitmen are making their 13th consecutive playoff appearance, and enter the post-season as the Husky WHL Eastern Conference’s top seed for a third straight season. Calgary’s offense, led by Bob Clarke trophy winner Brandon Kozun, ranks fourth among all WHL teams this season, having scored 269 goals. In addition, the Hitmen own the WHL’s best power play. Offensive depth is strong as the Hitmen boast four players with 30 or more goals and eight with 20 or more goals this season. Defensively, the Hitmen rank third among all WHL teams in goals-against, and own the WHL’s best penalty killing unit. Led by veteran Michael Stone, Calgary’s blue line boasts plenty of size and toughness. The team also boasts one of the WHL’s best netminders in Martin Jones, who was stellar down the stretch. The Hitmen will need to be sharp defensively to slow down Moose Jaw’s collection of talented forwards, including former Hitmen Brendan Rowinski.

The Warriors are back in the post-season after missing the playoffs last season. Offensively, the Warriors finished in the middle of the pack, in terms of goals scored. Led by veteran Jason Bast, the Warriors boast five players with 20 or more goals. The team also owns the WHL’s sixth-ranked power play, which they will need firing on all cylinders to break down Calgary’s top-notch penalty killing. Missing star sophomore Quinton Howden, currently sidelined with an injury, will hurt Moose Jaw’s attack. Defensively, the Warriors allowed the most goals of any Eastern Conference playoff team. Veteran Ryan Stanton anchors a relatively young group of blue liners, who will be tested by a Calgary offense that has been heating up over the last few weeks. Avoiding Calgary’s red-hot power play will be a key factor is the Warriors are to have success in the series. Goaltender Jeff Bosch has the ability to come up big when called upon, but has only one game of post-season experience.

Series Schedule(All Start Times Local)

#1 – Moose Jaw @ Calgary; Thursday, March 18 (7:00pm)
#2 – Moose Jaw @ Calgary; Saturday, March 20 (7:00pm)
#3 – Calgary @ Moose Jaw; Monday, March 22 (7:00pm)
#4 – Calgary @ Moose Jaw; Tuesday, March 23 (7:00pm)
#5 – Moose Jaw @ Calgary; Thursday, March 25 (7:00pm)**
#6 – Calgary @ Moose Jaw; Saturday, March 27 (7:00pm**
#7 – Moose Jaw @ Calgary; Monday, March 29 (7:00pm)**
**If Necessary

Full article is right here. (http://www.whl.ca/2010-whl-playoffs-first-round-preview-p141475)

Hatguy
03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I'll say the Warriors win at least one game.

Allin44
03-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Down 1 after 1! PANIC!!!!!!!!!:groovy::groovy::groovy::groovy:

3rebels
03-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Down 4 -1 !! Maybe the Blades can win 1!!!
:groovy:

lordstanley
03-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Down 1 after 1! PANIC!!!!!!!!!:groovy::groovy::groovy::groovy:

Go Warrios woohoo upset of a series means good news for us Blade fans

lordstanley
03-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Down 4 -1 !! Maybe the Blades can win 1!!!
:groovy:

What does that have to do with the Blades lol

Allin44
03-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Go Warrios woohoo upset of a series means good news for us Blade fans

I think the Blades AND Brandon would be excited by this :).

That said, its one game, I don't know that MJ will win another.

And there is 8:50 left in this one, Kozun could score 4

Hitmen1
03-18-2010, 09:14 PM
Hitmen haven't worked hard at all so far, they have come alittle here in the 3rd but it might be too late. I think they might have underestimated the Warriors just alittle and special teams have let them down tonight.

brandonboy
03-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Hitmen haven't worked hard at all so far, they have come alittle here in the 3rd but it might be too late. I think they might have underestimated the Warriors just alittle and special teams have let them down tonight.
Is the box summery right and the Warriors didn't have a single shot in the third?

Allin44
03-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Is the box summery right and the Warriors didn't have a single shot in the third?

Nope, 18-0

Fisticuffs
03-18-2010, 09:58 PM
The reffing tonight was a joke.
Nuff said.

Boltz9
03-18-2010, 09:59 PM
The reffing tonight was a joke.
Nuff said.

Looks like the Hitmen powerplay was a joke.

armypower
03-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Bosch stole this game,the officiating was a joke...He made some questionable calls on the Hitmen early,then when the crowd got on him, everything Moose Jaw did was called a penalty and he was scared to give Calgary a penalty in the 3rd...and we got away with a few,,,,so ya,everyone can ***** about the officiating but we had 5 consecutive powerplays in the second half of the game and scored once...They also disallowed a Warrior goal that shoulda counted........The officiating was bad for both teams.....

Hitmen1
03-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Yeah bottom line is it was a very typical WHL reffed game, crappy calls against both teams and missed calls both ways. The Hitmen lost the game because of special teams. Despite the result, the Warriors are going to have be much better than they were last night if they want to win the series.

XX15
03-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Wow Great Game for Bosch

patsdude114
03-19-2010, 10:19 PM
was the ref Dean????

& i dont think u can say the Hitmen didnt work they fired like 50 shots on Bosch... Bosch stood on his head, the warriors only 16 shots..... it is safe to say the Hitmen were beat by better goaltending...

& again my statement of Jones is not a good goalie lives up to my hype again

Jimbo24
03-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Hopefully a bounce back game for jones and the hitmen tonight

stanjonathan
03-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Hopefully a bounce back game for jones and the hitmen tonight

Doesn't look like it 3-0 in the second:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Jimbo24
03-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Brutal effort by the hitmen right now. Getting outworked and out goaltended badly

armypower
03-20-2010, 10:25 PM
The Hitmen were badly outworked tonight by a hungry Moose Jaw team......Don't know what else to say,Bosch is making the save's when needed,I'm not blaming Jones ,there is only 1 goal in the 2 games I think
he shoulda had....Now to the crushed can for a couple games,the boys better bring their A game....Still have lots of faith in the Hitmen.....

Hitmen1
03-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah just home from the game. I said after game 1 that the Warriors would have to be better if they wanted to win the series, tonight they were the better team, in fact, it wasn't even close. Jones had no chance on any of the goals except for the 4th goal but by then the game was over. The Warriors forecheck is doing an unbelievable job creating turnovers, they send two forwards in after the Hitmen defenders and they are getting several turnovers. Bosch was good tonight but he wasn't great, he didn't have to be but he made one great save with about 10 minutes left in the third. He stretched out post to post and robbed Foucault.

hitmanfan
03-20-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah just home from the game. I said after game 1 that the Warriors would have to be better if they wanted to win the series, tonight they were the better team, in fact, it wasn't even close. Jones had no chance on any of the goals except for the 4th goal but by then the game was over. The Warriors forecheck is doing an unbelievable job creating turnovers, they send two forwards in after the Hitmen defenders and they are getting several turnovers. Bosch was good tonight but he wasn't great, he didn't have to be but he made one great save with about 10 minutes left in the third. He stretched out post to post and robbed Foucault.
The first goal dribbled between his legs and Wilson and Nyren set up 2 and 3 respectively. Not a good effort at all.

sbtatter
03-20-2010, 11:25 PM
& again my statement of Jones is not a good goalie lives up to my hype again

Jones is one of the most over rated goalies in the dub imho, he's decent but not a top tender

patsdude114
03-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Jones is one of the most over rated goalies in the dub imho, he's decent but not a top tender

FINALLY SOMEONE AGREE'S WITH ME!!!!

Jones is SOOOOOO over-rated he plays on a top team that hardly gives up anything, as soon as the Hitmen play another top team in the league who gets quality shots on goal Jones is MIA!!

As a Pats fan it is hard to say this but.... GO WARRIORS GO!!

Im rooting for BOSCH

hitmanfan
03-21-2010, 12:41 AM
FINALLY SOMEONE AGREE'S WITH ME!!!!

Jones is SOOOOOO over-rated he plays on a top team that hardly gives up anything, as soon as the Hitmen play another top team in the league who gets quality shots on goal Jones is MIA!!

As a Pats fan it is hard to say this but.... GO WARRIORS GO!!

Im rooting for BOSCH

Hopefully the Pats meet us in the next round. Oh thats right I forgot.

lordstanley
03-21-2010, 01:07 AM
Hopefully the Pats meet us in the next round. Oh thats right I forgot.

Well you and the Pats can share something there wont be a next round for either of you lol GO WARRIORS

hitmanfan
03-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Well you and the Pats can share something there wont be a next round for either of you lol GO WARRIORS

I should have worded it differently but the point was at least we made the playoffs not like the Pats.

brandonboy12
03-21-2010, 10:58 AM

YOU BETTER BELIVE HE IS THE MOST OVER RATED IN THE DUB. GREAT TEAM CNADA PICK

Hitmen1
03-21-2010, 12:23 PM
I am completely shocked after watching the game last night. The Moose Jaw Warriors, who only won 11 times on the road during the regular season, marched into Calgary and beat the Hitmen not once but twice at the Saddledome. As many fans and people have said, losing the first game can happen from time to time when the opposing goalie steals a game but last night was truly unbelievable.

The Warriors survived the first half of the first period, mostly because the Hitmen failed to hit the net on a couple of glorious scoring opportunities. The 2 chances I remember the most were 1) Joel Broda getting the puck on his stick in the mid-slot and firing a wrist high over the net on the blocker side of Bosch and the second was Michael Stone who had a great shooting lane but fired high and wide.

The last half of the first period was all Warriors and I mean all Warriors. Moose Jaw starting dumping pucks into the corners and sent 2 forecheckers in hard after the Hitmen blue liners. They caused all kinds of havoc and turnovers. The turnovers were very costly for the Hitmen.

Moose Jaw opened the scoring when Honejsek received a cross slot pass from Smith and snapped a shot between Jones' five hole on his blocker side. The puck just trickled through the pads as Jones got a piece of it but not enough.

The Warriors extended the lead after creating a turnover in the Hitmen zone. Frazee sent the puck into the high slot and Jason Bast fired a beautiful wrist shot high on the blocker side of Jones, who didn't even see the shot.

The Warriors took complete control of the game when Hitmen defenceman Giffen Nyren came out from behind is own net. Nyren tried to get away from Dylan Hood, but Hood stole the puck from Nyren right in front of the Hitmen net and put it behind Jones. It was the 3rd Warrior goal in 2:58.

The second period was more of the same, great dump ins to create several turnovers. The period also saw the Hitmen get very undisciplined. Sure, there were a few calls that weren't penalties but the Hitmen really didn't compete at all.

8 seconds into the third period Jason Bast came across the Hitmen blueline and let go another wrist shot, it beat Jones high on the glove side but it was a shot that the Hitmen tender had to stop and as a result it was 4-0 Moose Jaw.

Just over a minute after they fell behind 4-0, Kris Foucault finished off a beautiful play by Tyler Shattock. Shattock came down the wing on Bosch's glove side made a great move around the Warrior defender and sent a cross crease pass to Foucault who popped in the empty net. But that was a close as the Hitmen would get.

Jeff Bosch was solid but not spectacular. He made one outstanding save with about 10 minutes left in the third period. Bosch stretch out post to post and robbed Foucault with his left pad.

The Warriors stole game one but they were by far the better team last night which is absolutely shocking to me. It seems to me that the Warriors have found the "playoff" gear and the Hitmen are still stuck in regular season mode. This series is not over by any means but the Hitmen better starting playing Hitmen hockey or they will be knocked out here in round 1. Game 3 tomorrow night in Moose Jaw.

1. M.J Honejsek, (2) (Hood, Smith), 16:40
1. M.J Bast, (2) (Frazee, McFaull), 17:25
1. M.J Hood, (1) , 19:32
3. M.J Bast, (3) (Frazee), 0:08
3. CAL Foucault, (1) (Shattock, Stone), 1:07

sbtatter
03-21-2010, 01:54 PM
congrats on a very honest, unbiased review...

Hitmen1
03-21-2010, 02:59 PM
congrats on a very honest, unbiased review...

Thanks, I appreciate it. I just tried to summarize based on what I watched last night. I have read some things on other sites that have Hitmen fans making up all kinds of excuses for the game last night but the reality is, they were out played in all areas of the game. They deserved to lose.

sbtatter
03-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it. I just tried to summarize based on what I watched last night. I have read some things on other sites that have Hitmen fans making up all kinds of excuses for the game last night but the reality is, they were out played in all areas of the game. They deserved to lose.

I may be blind here, but I can't see the Hitmen losing this series. It would be great for us in brandon if they did....

dondo
03-21-2010, 06:04 PM
well interestingly enough the Hitmen always seem to dominate during the regular season, but get eliminated in the playoffs and often by unsuspected candidates. This pattern has been years now and last year when they made it to the finals they still weren't able to hold on enough to win the series.

Not sure if they aren't playoff durable or built, but if they are going to get to that next step and make the Memorial Cup they need to make a few changes.

Oddly enough my squad is struggling with poor goaltending but ala the Hitmen's usual MO, are filling the net when needed to get the wins (so far). This has become a very interesting series and if the Warriors can keep up that pressure and Bosch continue to play out of his head.. this could be an upset.

Hitmen1
03-22-2010, 12:02 PM
The season is on the line tonight for the Hitmen. Should be interesting to see how they start the game and respond to the Warriors aggressive forecheck.

Jimbo24
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Well i think the hitmen actually decide to start playing and win 5-2

Hitmen1
03-22-2010, 09:50 PM
It wasn't pretty in some stretches of the game but they found a few ways to score some goals tonight and get back into the series with a 7-3 win.

Jimbo24
03-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Sounds like they strapped on the work boots and laid a beating on the warriors. Tomorrow's game should be interesting. Also heard on the radio that kelly mcrimmon was in the crowd watching doing some scouting i guess.

Hitmen1
03-23-2010, 03:58 PM
In my opinion it is a must win for both teams tonight. The Hitmen cannot fall behind 3-1 and expect to win the series. For the Warriors, a Hitmen win tonight really gives them confidence moving forward.

patsdude114
03-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Not very often does the Tribe lose back to back games in the crush can, that place will be rockin tonight & the Warriors will come out to play forsure. Maybe Bosch was playing over his head abit in Calgary, all Bosch has to do is is give MJ a shot, especially on home ice.

Hitmen1
03-23-2010, 07:48 PM
The Hitmen are in huge trouble in MJ tonight. Jason Bast scores on a breakaway after the puck jumps over Matt MacKenzie's stick at the MJ blue line. With the Warriors on the power play, MJ dumps it in it hits something and then goes off of Jones and in the Hitmen net. Joel Broda cut the lead in half but the Warriors added another goal before the end of the first period. 3-1 MJ after 1.

I seriously do not know what has happened to the Hitmen in their own zone. The Warriors have everything going their way, all the bounces are ending up in the Hitmen net. The game and series is far from over but you really have to wonder if it just isn't meant to be for the Hitmen this year.

Hitmen1
03-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Oh boy. The Hitmen are on the ropes. I cannot for the life of me understand what has happened to this team. A week ago they were rolling right along. They have no defensive zone coverage at all. Jones was spectacular for the final 2 months and is now been just average. Kudos to the Warriors for coming up with a game plan that has just completely thrown the Hitmen off their game. Game 5 Thursday night at the Dome.

patsdude114
03-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Jones was spectacular for the final 2 months and is now been just average.

Hard for Jones to be spectacular when the opponents the Hitmen face on a nightly basis are from from a great team. With that said im not saying the Warriors are a great team but the Warriors have alot of high end speed, with guys who can score.

Jones is facing more quality shots on a regular basis, which Jones struggles with. The only way the Hitmen come back & win this series is if Jones plays over his head (which i really dont think is possible for Jones) as i have mentioned before Jones is the most over-rated goalie in all of the WHL.

The Hitmen & hell even the NHL scouts dont really know what Jones is capable of or what he isnt capable of when everything is based on regular season. The Hitmen dominate in the regular season cuz there are too many weak teams out there that cant generate enough offense on Jones consistantly. Come playoff time Jones struggles & it is being proved again this year.

hitmanfan
03-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Hard for Jones to be spectacular when the opponents the Hitmen face on a nightly basis are from from a great team. With that said im not saying the Warriors are a great team but the Warriors have alot of high end speed, with guys who can score.

Jones is facing more quality shots on a regular basis, which Jones struggles with. The only way the Hitmen come back & win this series is if Jones plays over his head (which i really dont think is possible for Jones) as i have mentioned before Jones is the most over-rated goalie in all of the WHL.

The Hitmen & hell even the NHL scouts dont really know what Jones is capable of or what he isnt capable of when everything is based on regular season. The Hitmen dominate in the regular season cuz there are too many weak teams out there that cant generate enough offense on Jones consistantly. Come playoff time Jones struggles & it is being proved again this year.
We did win a lot more games when Regina was still around. :PBJ Time:

Hitmen1
03-23-2010, 10:56 PM

Well I will disagree. Jones is very consistent goalie outside of these last 4 games. The last 2 months of the season he single handily won the Hitmen a bunch of games.

Who is a better goalie in the Eastern Conference?

patsdude114
03-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Stanford, Zemlak, Morrison to name a few hell id even throw in Matthews before Jones

MVNWriter23
03-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Would you say Foucault has been better in the post-season or is he his same enigmatic self? Sometimes the playoffs has a way of relaxing teams too much where they didn't feel a lot of pressure during the season but now are withering under the extreme pressure of the post-season. Look at the Vancouver Canucks; they could look unstoppable in the regular season but then don't dominate nearly the same way in the playoffs. Plus...it often is a test of who wants it more.

Hitmen1
03-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Would you say Foucault has been better in the post-season or is he his same enigmatic self? Sometimes the playoffs has a way of relaxing teams too much where they didn't feel a lot of pressure during the season but now are withering under the extreme pressure of the post-season. Look at the Vancouver Canucks; they could look unstoppable in the regular season but then don't dominate nearly the same way in the playoffs. Plus...it often is a test of who wants it more.

To be honest, the last month or 2 Foucault has been okay. He got moved up onto a scoring line because of some injuries and he took full advantage of it. The problem for me right now is that he doesn't like the physical play of the playoff game.

Joe Hallenback
03-24-2010, 09:02 AM
I am surprised to see Calgary down 3-1 but I have to say I thought they were a team that had exceeded expectations during the regular season. I noticed when they played Brandon the last 2 times I can't say I was very impressed. They seemed to me a team that relied on there goalie being able to keep them in games and relying on a superior power play to win them games.

Bubnick appears to be MIA and while the first line is very good the rest of the team is average at best.

hitmanfan
03-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I am surprised to see Calgary down 3-1 but I have to say I thought they were a team that had exceeded expectations during the regular season. I noticed when they played Brandon the last 2 times I can't say I was very impressed. They seemed to me a team that relied on there goalie being able to keep them in games and relying on a superior power play to win them games.

Bubnick appears to be MIA and while the first line is very good the rest of the team is average at best.

Well it was supposed to be a rebuilding year. I agree completely.

armypower
03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Having watched Jones play all year,I don't think he is overated,he has been great for most of the season but bottom line is that Bosch is outplaying him right
now and if it doesn't change they are done like dinner!!

Trevor
03-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Having watched Jones play all year,I don't think he is overated,he has been great for most of the season but bottom line is that Bosch is outplaying him right
now and if it doesn't change we are done like dinner!!

IMO Jones has been a good to very good goalie who has benefitted from the defensive system infront of him more so than an actual elite goalie. Much in the same manner as Sexsmith in Vancouver a couple years ago.

If Jones played for a more offense first team (Brandon) I think he would have similar numbers to Hayes & DeSerres. Also, if either of them were in Calgary, their numbers would be more like Jones.

armypower
03-24-2010, 09:44 PM
To be honest,I thought that was the case (last year) as well,but he has stolen quite a few games for the Hitmen this year and was a major factor in the Hitmen finishing first overall...especially since this was supposed to be another rebuilding year.....But yes you do have a good point there....We will see what he is made of in the next 3 games because he will have to be good if they are to advance...

Jimbo24
03-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Can't see the hitmen losing tonight at home but jones will have to be good.
4-1 calgary

Hitmen1
03-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Now that 2nd period was Hitmen hockey. Hopefully they can build on it for Saturday night in Moose Jaw. The Warriors are going to throw everything they have at the Hitmen Saturday because they will not want to come back to Calgary next week.

hitmanfan
03-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Now that 2nd period was Hitmen hockey. Hopefully they can build on it for Saturday night in Moose Jaw. The Warriors are going to throw everything they have at the Hitmen Saturday because they will not want to come back to Calgary next week.

They over came the 2 BS calls on Shattock and Wilson. I'm curious why they pulled Jones with 9 seconds left. Equipment malfunction or sacrificial goalie? Nice to see a full effort though. Here's hoping for 2 more.

Jimbo24
03-26-2010, 03:28 PM
They over came the 2 BS calls on Shattock and Wilson. I'm curious why they pulled Jones with 9 seconds left. Equipment malfunction or sacrificial goalie? Nice to see a full effort though. Here's hoping for 2 more.
I assume they pulled jones just in case mj tried to do something stupid. Really good second period for the hitmen, they are gonna have to play like that for 60 min if they hope to win and extend the series

peatfan
03-26-2010, 08:02 PM
The call on Wilson was absolutely terrible. Really clamping down on all bodychecks. And everyone wonder why there isn't anymore hipchecks. The strange aspect on the Shattock call was minutes later, same player, other corner, same player and no call. I'm sure if you could splice them together their wouldn't be any dif. So that's 4 or maybe 5 calls on Shattock for (charging) bodychecking which was what he had in the regular season. Good for Tyler to keep playing the same way.
Good to see the team back on track and get back in the series. Won't be much of a rest for next series but the good thing is Hat-Ice will be going to at least 6, probably 7 games.
Not sure why Jones was taken out. I would think maybe equipment malfunction as it never seemed that the Warriors were crashing the net. Strange to see.
One other question is if Williamson is planning on keeping Royer at the end of the bench why not dress Rigby? At least he will bring toughness and be a deterent for any cheapshots on Kozun & company. Maybe even rough up the Warriors MVP-Bast.

hitmanfan
03-26-2010, 08:25 PM
The call on Wilson was absolutely terrible. Really clamping down on all bodychecks. And everyone wonder why there isn't anymore hipchecks. The strange aspect on the Shattock call was minutes later, same player, other corner, same player and no call. I'm sure if you could splice them together their wouldn't be any dif. So that's 4 or maybe 5 calls on Shattock for (charging) bodychecking which was what he had in the regular season. Good for Tyler to keep playing the same way.
Good to see the team back on track and get back in the series. Won't be much of a rest for next series but the good thing is Hat-Ice will be going to at least 6, probably 7 games.
Not sure why Jones was taken out. I would think maybe equipment malfunction as it never seemed that the Warriors were crashing the net. Strange to see.
One other question is if Williamson is planning on keeping Royer at the end of the bench why not dress Rigby? At least he will bring toughness and be a deterent for any cheapshots on Kozun & company. Maybe even rough up the Warriors MVP-Bast.

I love Shattocks huge hits but like you was mystified why some are charging and some or not. Sylvester didn't get to play much last night either.

Hitmen1
03-27-2010, 10:20 PM
And we will have a game 7 on Monday night at the Dome! It was a good first period, a rough second period, Marty really held the Hitmen in the game that period, and good third period. Another game with some tough calls, when is the league going to get decent officials? Or maybe the question should be, will they ever?

hitmanfan
03-27-2010, 10:23 PM
And we will have a game 7 on Monday night at the Dome! It was a good first period, a rough second period, Marty really held the Hitmen in the game that period, and good third period. Another game with some tough calls, when is the league going to get decent officials? Or maybe the question should be, will they ever?

Are you refering to when McIlrath cross checked Beach in the back of the head into the glass 5' away from the ref with no call? Pretty sad. Great win by the squad though. Jones looked 100% better than he has.

Hitmen1
03-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Are you refering to when McIlrath cross checked Beach in the back of the head into the glass 5' away from the ref with no call? Pretty sad. Great win by the squad though. Jones looked 100% better than he has.
Yeah that one and the one when the Warrior ran over Jones. That after the Hitmen took 2 goalie interference calls earlier in the game. Right after Jones was bulled over, the Warriors ended up with a 5 on 3.

I agree, Marty was really good tonight, the best he has been in the series. I just hope the Hitmen aren't over confident come Monday night.

hitmanfan
03-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah that one and the one when the Warrior ran over Jones. That after the Hitmen took 2 goalie interference calls earlier in the game. Right after Jones was bulled over, the Warriors ended up with a 5 on 3.

I agree, Marty was really good tonight, the best he has been in the series. I just hope the Hitmen aren't over confident come Monday night.

Oh I think they have been humbled. Even when the Jaw came close they never let off. I hope I get to hear Thrower butcher "don't stop believing" one more time.

Jimbo24
03-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Bubnick 1g +4
Cowan 2g 1a +5
Shattock 2a +3
That looks like a pretty good line.

Hitmen1
03-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Bubnick 1g +4
Cowan 2g 1a +5
Shattock 2a +3
That looks like a pretty good line.

Yeah they really controlled the play along the boards tonight. It helps when Bosch gave up a couple of weak goals tonight as well.

Hitmen1
03-28-2010, 11:12 PM
For those of you who cannot make it the game tomorrow night Shaw will be showing game 7.

armypower
03-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Can't wait for the game tonight,hopefully the officiating will let these guys play hockey....Have a feeling it will be a close one,think goaltending will decide this one....Hitmen 4 warriors 2...

Hitmen1
03-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Game 7 went as expected, once the Hitmen got the lead it was game over. Medicine Hat up next.

Hitmen1
03-30-2010, 12:18 AM
I have put a full recap on my blog. Just click the link below to head over to the blog site. Kudos to the Warriors. They have a good up and coming team. They just didn't get enough outside of Frazee and Bast. With a few more contributions, the Warriors probably win this series.

Hatguy
03-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Good, hard fought series. GL to the Hitmen moving forward.