PDA

View Full Version : Saskatoon trades for a new goalie

wango tango
05-06-2005, 01:05 PM
yesterday at the bantam draft the blades sent their 5th round pick to portland for the rights to 17 year old winnipeg wild goaltender kevin armstrong.

armstrong was the tournament mvp of the 2205 western regional midget aaa championship.

Pirate005
05-06-2005, 02:18 PM
In exchange with the Portland Winterhawks. The Blades have obtained Kevin Armstrong for a 5th rd Bantam pick in yesterday's draft. Armstrong posted a 17-5-1 with a 2.48 GAA and 4 SO in the Manitoba Midget AAA league last year and was named Goalie of the year. Armstrong was also named to the Allstar team for the league as well.

Birthdate
June 29, 1988
Height 6'
Weight 170 lbs
Position Goal
Shot Left
School Shaftesbury
Grade 11
Team 2003/04 Wpg. Wild Midget AAA
Team 2002/03 Wpg. Warriors Bantam AAA

link
http://www.geocities.com/wpgmidgetwild/No1Armstrong.html

Was also named to Team West for the World Under 17 championships. Backed up Starter Ryan Neiszner.

In the Western Regional Championships:
Tournament MVP-Kevin Armstrong
Named to the first All Star Team for Goaltender

named player of the month in the MMHL for November

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Now with addition of Kevin Armstrong we have 5 goalies on the roster: Braeden Holtby,Grant Rolheiser,Cameron Reid and Russel Monette. Russel Monette will be the starter next season (I would think) So any one of the other 4 goalies would be good trade material, but it would all depend on how good these kids are, I am sure the coaching staff would not give up a talented goalie if they did not have to, but sometimes If a team wants to get a good player or two then they may have to give up a goalie only if that is what the other team is looking for. The Ice Breaker Tournament and training camp will be a good oppertunity for these 4 kids to show their skills and battle for a chance to be the back up to Russel Monette.

wango tango
05-10-2005, 05:40 PM
monette is going to have to take the job in camp, if he doesn't there are quite a few quality goalies that may be available.

ideally i'm sure the blades are thinking monette or another vet as the starter with either armstrong or reid as the backup, then having armstrong or reid takeover the job from there.

if armstrong is good enough in camp he could earn the starters job. going to be lots of healthy competition for the two spots.

Trav
05-21-2005, 04:41 PM
I think all five guys can/will play in the WHL...

Monette - I will say he didnt impress me to much last year, had some good games but had some bad games as well. He did well in that Sask-Alberta game that they had awhile back so maybe he'll come in to camp fired up and will earn the starting job.

For backup duty, I think either Reid or Armstrong will be backup, maybe both will be here if Monette doesnt get the starting job and if Molleken is comfortable going with two rookies. Don't see that happen much but hey, the only way players get expierence is by playing.

Rollheiser and Holtby are young (both 16) so they can play another year of midget or Jr A hockey if they're good enough.