PDA

View Full Version : Zahn may be back in Blades' lineup Saturday

lordstanley
03-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Zahn may be back in Blades' lineup Saturday
Cory Wolfe, of The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, March 19, 2010
Pssst. Here's a little secret about the Saskatoon Blades' team photo.
Yes, that's defenceman Teigan Zahn in the front row, but that's not his right leg.
When that photo was taken nearly six weeks ago, Zahn was still wearing a protective boot on his right foot. He couldn't put any weight on his surgically repaired fibula, so his teammates carried him to centre ice, propped him up and told him to say cheese.

Blades staffer Michael Scissons took over from there.
Let's be clear: Scissons has no medical credentials. But through some computer editing, he performed a successful transplant. He copied the right leg of Blades captain Derek Hulak, beefed it up a little, and overlaid it on Zahn's injured limb.
The result is impressive. Just one suspicious bit of evidence remains -- the right skates of Hulak and Zahn look exactly the same.
Zahn chuckled while inspecting the photo Thursday. His recovery is well ahead of schedule and he might even play Saturday when the Blades open playoffs against the visiting Red Deer Rebels (7:05 p.m., Credit Union Centre).
"It's up to (coach) Lorne (Molleken) and what he wants to do," Zahn said with a smile. "It's not really my call. I feel pretty good about it but, like I said, it's up to him and what he wants to do."
Zahn fractured his right leg during a Jan. 13 game against the Calgary Hitmen. At the time, team officials described his injury as "season-ending." His projected recovery time was three to five months -- mid-April at best; mid-June at worst.
But barely two months into his recovery, Zahn is on the verge of playing again.
"From what the original prognosis was, it's quite a bit ahead of schedule," said the 19-year-old Bethune product. "I'm surprised by what I'm able to do already but it's in the coach's hands."
Zahn's accelerated recovery isn't the only promising news for the Blades. Defenceman Jyri Niemi missed the last eight regular-season games because of a broken finger but he'll be in the lineup Saturday. Winger Curtis Hamilton is also close to being game-ready. He's recovering from a broken collarbone for the second time this season.
"Both Zahn and Hamilton have been cleared to practise," said Molleken. "It looks like they'll both be game-day decisions. We'll have to see how things go. But Teigan is way, way ahead of schedule, and Curtis is right on time. It's just a matter getting them both feeling comfortable with the situation."
Both players are more metallic than they used to be. Surgeons used 10 screws and a plate to stabilize Zahn's broken leg. Hamilton's fractured clavicle was also repaired with screws -- something doctors didn't use when he first broke it in November.
"I know that they're excited about playing and it's playoff time," added Molleken. "It's a race to four (wins) and we want to put ourselves in the best possible position to succeed. That might be playing those guys or it might be sitting those guys.
"We won't know until Saturday."

lordstanley
03-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Hulak Viedensky Nicholls
Wintoneak Patterson Hamilton
Dziurzynski Toomey McNaught
Boyer Benson Inglis
Gogol

Elliott Klassen
Niemi Acolatse
Zahn Siemens
Thrower

Stanford
Morrison

Uh oh looks like we may be 100%

XX15
03-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Well this is great and even if we sit him out and let him rest more and get past the first round that would be even better I guess we will have to wait and see.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-20-2010, 10:56 AM
If the Blades get any bodies back it would be a big boost.

I am so excited for this series because I missed out on the playoff series last season because of soccer.

The booster club road trips are so much fun and you guessed it... I am going to Red Deer. I have never been there to see a hockey game.... So I am very much looking forward to it.

XX15
03-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Says on the star phoenix today online that Moleken says Zahn and Hamilton Game time decisions.

lordstanley
03-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Says on the star phoenix today online that Moleken says Zahn and Hamilton Game time decisions.

Wow everyone was back tonight im sure that was the easiest shutout of stanfords life

reims
03-20-2010, 10:22 PM
totally different team when they are all togethor...looked real good tonight...and held a lead effortlessly...and played disciplened!

lordstanley
03-21-2010, 03:27 PM
totally different team when they are all togethor...looked real good tonight...and held a lead effortlessly...and played disciplened!

Another huge game tonight i can't see the Rebs getting shut out twice so were really gonna need our PP to step it up

reims
03-21-2010, 04:19 PM
every game from here on out is big...the blades look like they are very focused, they wont be a push over for anyone with this lineup

lordstanley
03-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Guess we can only have a full lineup for 1 game Benson now out with a lower body injury so insert 19 year old Jeremy Boyer i actually prefer Benson even though Boyer is older

lordstanley
03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Another great game almost going the same way as last night untill cheap run from Cowan on Stanford

Cowan ran Stanford very cheap probably a suspention but i don't think it was a bad thing cause it may have just woke you guys up for when you get home

So anyways after that all happend the ref talked to both benches and prob warned Lorne Molleken to not try anything funny but he did anyways, he put out Gogol McNaught Dziurzynski Acolatse and Siemens all there tough boys

in result 5 game misconducts to your none and a possible 1 game suspention for Lorne Molleken so thank Cowan for the fireworks

hockey4
03-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Another great game almost going the same way as last night untill cheap run from Cowan on Stanford

Cowan ran Stanford very cheap probably a suspention but i don't think it was a bad thing cause it may have just woke you guys up for when you get home

So anyways after that all happend the ref talked to both benches and prob warned Lorne Molleken to not try anything funny but he did anyways, he put out Gogol McNaught Dziurzynski Acolatse and Siemens all there tough boys

in result 5 game misconducts to your none and a possible 1 game suspention for Lorne Molleken so thank Cowan for the fireworks

While i'm not condoning what cowen did, thats playoffs. happens in every series. i'm shocked saskatoon would do what they did, and possible give red deer some motivation. From what i've watched, saskatoon has scored 95% of there goals within minutes of each other, while the rest has been very competitive. I am a rebels fan, so im taking the positives and saying were still very much in the series. that is all

lordstanley
03-21-2010, 11:35 PM
While i'm not condoning what cowen did, thats playoffs. happens in every series. i'm shocked saskatoon would do what they did, and possible give red deer some motivation. From what i've watched, saskatoon has scored 95% of there goals within minutes of each other, while the rest has been very competitive. I am a rebels fan, so im taking the positives and saying were still very much in the series. that is all

Your not out of it by any means but if you wanna get back in this series Kuemper is gonna have to be alot better

lordstanley
03-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Well Lorne just spoke on the ctv news and all he said was it was a chicken **** move on what cowan did beep

hockey4
03-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Well Lorne just spoke on the ctv news and all he said was it was a chicken **** move on what cowan did beep

well its the playoffs, stuff happens all the time. think this is the first time a player has ran the goalie. it would be just as chicken **** to send out 5 players to jump the other team.

lordstanley
03-22-2010, 12:08 AM
well its the playoffs, stuff happens all the time. think this is the first time a player has ran the goalie. it would be just as chicken **** to send out 5 players to jump the other team.

The hit was dirty putting our 5 tough guys out and risking being suspended is just dumb i agree

Trav
03-22-2010, 12:37 AM
They let it get out of hand but of course they'll never be suspended or fined cuz according to the league the officials are never wrong. Cowen better get suepended otherwise he'll pay for it on Wednesday night im sure. It's also funny how according to this article...

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/Fists+flying+Blades+Deer/2707725/story.html

He wanted to talk to his coach first before talking to the media, wonder why lol, so his coach can tell him what to say? most likely.

BladesFan_2010
03-22-2010, 12:59 AM
read a previous posting of mine...i told you zahn would be back

what injury does benson have? i thought it looked like a shoulder problem in game one

lordstanley
03-22-2010, 01:04 AM
read a previous posting of mine...i told you zahn would be back

what injury does benson have? i thought it looked like a shoulder problem in game one

Heard the pregame show it's a lower body injury didn't say how long he is out for

reims
03-22-2010, 06:25 AM
I dont think its dumb. Lorne is saying hes not putting up with his goalie being ran. I wish the Raiders could have done that when Zemlak got ran by the Wheaties earlier in the year.

sorry to say, but the raiders couldnt have done that to the wheatkings...they would all got beat up....wheat kings are similiar to the blades, built with a lot of tuffness

sbtatter
03-22-2010, 08:47 AM
You know what, I don't blame either team in this incident. the Rebels had to do something to try and change the series. The Blades reacted exactly as you have to if someone runs your goalie. They have all these big guys in their lineup, so why not use them?

Joe Hallenback
03-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Yes I liked that he sent his guys over the boards after a play like that. Don't **** with our goalie or you are going to get it. The blades are probably the toughest team in the league and I don't think the Rebels want to deal with that bunch but it looks like they will. If I was Keumper and the Rebels are up in any of those games out in Red Deer I would keep my head up.

Speaking of PA yes they should have retaliated against the Wheaties but frankly they can't. I was tired of seeing Ferland pummel a Raider this season and that's not to mention Hale who really has no competition from any Raider

lordstanley
03-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Lorne Mollekens post game video comments

http://communities.canada.com/globaltv/blogs/kevinjesus/default.aspx

scroll down