PDA

View Full Version : Advocate looking forward to 2010-2011

Red celtic
03-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Read this article this morning about where the Rebs are at and what can be expected next year. We have a lot of players coming back with the possibilities of of some unexpected returns. Good read.
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeeradvocate/sports/Rebels_can_look_ahead_89598277.html

rebel
03-31-2010, 11:00 AM
big excpectations for next year when we could lose coetzee, ferraro, and kuemper. but we have some great talent with RNH and good up and comers so i think home ice advantage is possible.

Philz
03-31-2010, 12:13 PM
Ferraro will be going no where, well only if we trade him. There is no way he would make pro next year.

Rebelsfan13
03-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Philz is right, the only way we lose Ferraro is if he makes the Red Wings in which he has no chance of. Coetzee is ahead of him in development and he won't be playing in Detroit next year either. He it at least has a chance at the AHL where Ferraro doesn't he is still to young to get sent to the AHL. He either makes the wings or comes back to the dub and we either keep him or get good value for him in return via a trade

Rebelsfan13
03-31-2010, 12:26 PM
That was a great article although I think they have discounted Matt Pufahl too soon. If he is healthy I wouldn't be surprised to see him here next year.

SectionNDeserter
03-31-2010, 05:50 PM
Interesting article. I don't believe that Barnstable is good enough to beat out Archer, Ferguson or Haber for a job as a 20 year old in the event that Coetzee and Kuemper begin their pro careers next season. Had he played a more important role, and had some WHL games of note under his belt I could see it, but he is really about the same goalie as Clark was when he was here--agile and enthusiastic, and makes fantastic acrobatic saves, but at the end of the day lets in a soft one or two in every game.

If Kuemper doesn't return for his overage season, the Rebels front office are going to have to pull a goaltender out of their *** pretty quickly, or we are going to have a lot of goals against. After the first 10 games or so, Kuemper settled down and looked fairly solid, but I think his late-season meltdown may have cost him a shot at a pro contract for the upcoming season.

Tough thing with Pufahl is that what really set him apart from other defensemen in the last few training camps, was that he really had a booming point shot. If his shoulder injury and subsequent surgery has taken that tool from him, then he is really going to be in tough against some of the other prospective defensemen. Only time will tell I guess.

Tinner
04-01-2010, 07:15 AM
I would have a hard time beleiving that we would use a 20 yr old spot on a goaltender and I think Landon has already played his last game in Red Deer.

Rebelsfan13
04-01-2010, 08:36 AM
I agree Barny will not be here as a 20 year old goalie, and Kuemper may not get that contract so he could be eligible to return. I don't like using a 20 year old spot for a goalie though, so my guess is that they try and explore a trade and get someone who is 18 or 19 and is established to come in here next year and then bring up one of our prospects so that he can carry the load the following year.

SaskHockeyFan
04-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Tinner, I would agree when you say Ferraro has played his last game in Red Deer but not because he is good enough to move on to the NHL (he can't play in the AHL or ECHL as a 19 year old). I would guess more because either Red Deer doesn't want him or he (and his Dad) want out.

Rebelsfan13
04-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Don't worry, after what he has done in Red Deer most intelligent hockey fans want him out of Red Deer too. The trick is convinicing another team that he has any value.

sbtatter
04-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Don't worry, after what he has done in Red Deer most intelligent hockey fans want him out of Red Deer too. The trick is convinicing another team that he has any value.

Honest question, what's Ferraro done wrong?

Rebelsfan13
04-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Its not that he has done anything "wrong" he just hasn't done much either. That is all I know factually but there has been enough rumors that say he wants out and usually where there is smoke there is fire. If he wants to go then let him go he hasn't lived up to expectations.

Red celtic
04-01-2010, 02:45 PM

Wow thats a little harsh if someone doesn't agree with you they are not intelligent....Well I must be in that other catagory I feel that Landon is a valuable asset and if we are going to get to that next level he is the type of player that will get us there. He had a off year but 37 goals as a 17 yr old can't be discounted Detroit hasn't give up on why should we. I for one hope he is here but I might not be as intelligent you. Oh here is a article some Ferraro fans might enjoy.
http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2010/03/grifins_sign_landon_ferraro_to.html

Rebelsfan13
04-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Sorry you are right celtic I take that piece of my comment back. I guess I just had higher expectations for him. As a 16 year old I was sure he was going to be a dominant player on Team Canada, and lead the league for the Rebels. I don't believe his heart is here, and that is why I wouldnt be sad to see him go. Any 18 year old that is supposed to be as good as he is doesn't become a healthy scratch in the playoffs. He deserved to be scratched, not just for the previous game but how he played the entire series.

SectionNDeserter
04-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Ferraro hasn't been bad per se, his game just hasn't improved in any shape or form in the last year or so. He has also struggled with various injuries in two of the 3 seasons here, which hasn't helped matters any. Say what you want about his injuries this season, but his skating is as good as it has ever been, as is the defensive part of his game. Where he has struggled this season is burying his scoring chances. In his 17 year old season, he was the face of the franchise, and this season he was barely 3rd on the depth chart for forwards. It is frustrating to watch, but I agree with RC that he is the sort of player that we need in the lineup in order to move forward, and it is going to be tough to replace him with a player of equal skill at this point, in a trade straight across.

Rebrevs
04-01-2010, 07:06 PM
he was the face of the franchise.[/QUOTE]

I think the key word is "was" the face of the franchise. It would be unfortunate if Ferraro decided that he needed to move to another team. We need his talent but I'm wondering if Ferraro's ego has suffered a little with the presence of Nugent-Hopkins. Coutzee's rise to the top of the Rebels scoring leader board may also have caused some issues. I understand that Ferraro's injuries interfered with scoring chances but did he? He was NOT the face of the Rebels this year. He did NOT play well this year. Players with egos are inclined to place the blame elsewhere rather than look at the real picture. Just some thoughts.

Rebelsfan13
04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Was he really the face of the Rebels as a 17 year old? Was anybody the face of the Rebels that season? I have had Rebels season tickets since the mid 90's and that was by far the hardest year to watch. If you compare Landon's numbers with Cass Mappins (not even going to say what I think of Cass lol, think it has been pretty clear) that year they arent much better. Landon had 55 points in 68 games and Cass had 39 points in 56 games. Sure he had 37 goals but no one on that team was putting the puck in the net that year. The Nuge had 6 points in 5 games as a 15 year old in the same year, I think it is entirely possible that Ferraro's numbers were as good as they were because he was one of the better players on a very bad team.

SectionNDeserter
04-02-2010, 09:30 AM
He was a high first round pick, and touted to go near the end of the first round in the NHL entry draft. If there was anyone on the team that seemed like the 'can't miss' top player on the team this year looking at the team last season, it was him. He had 37 goals, being fed pucks by such highly skilled players as Cass Mappin and Carter Smith... My point is, he was still playing on the top line this year, and is in fact also killing the odd penalty in addition to being on the power play. Arguably he gets more ice time than he did last season and is playing on a line with players that have infinitely more sheer skill than he was with last season. His release isn't as quick as it was last season, and he doesn't put the puck on net as often as he did, and when he does, it is usually right into the goaltender's chest. His numbers being as good as they were would be a good argument, were he not getting as much or more ice time, and playing with more talented linemates.

Rebelsfan13
04-02-2010, 04:49 PM
No arguments here