PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Blades

twentyone
04-13-2010, 09:26 AM
I must say I have to say thank you to the Blades for the great season. It was a fun and exciting year. I think we all owe alot of thanks to the 3 20 year olds

Derek Hulak - Never missed a game as a Blade. Great Captain, Leader, and a home town boy.

Sam Klassen - We will miss those crushing body checks. He has provided 2 of the best body checks I have ever seen live. Solid Dman who had to work his way to the Dub.

Walker Wintoneak - Most improved player the last 3 years. Two years ago he was nearly cut from the team as an 18 year old to where he is today is amazing.

I am sure glad I am not in Lorne's shoes over the next 6 months. We currently have 9 players eligible to be 20 year olds next year. It will be tough to see 6 of them go. I guess its a nice problem to have though.

But on that note

Stanford, Dzuirzinski, Patterson, Zahn, McNaught, Gogol, Viedensky, Toomey, Niemi, thanks for the season who ever is not back with us next I wish you the best luck.

twentyone
04-13-2010, 09:44 AM
My Appologies

The 9 20 year olds next year are

Viedensky
Stanford
Patterson
Acolatse
McNaught
Zahn
Patterson
Niemi
Toomey

Gogol and Dzuirzinski will be 19

lordstanley
04-13-2010, 10:48 AM
My Appologies

The 9 20 year olds next year are

Viedensky
Stanford
Patterson
Acolatse
McNaught
Zahn
Patterson
Niemi
Toomey

Gogol and Dzuirzinski will be 19

Suposibly on the post game show last night Les was saying Marek Viedensky will most likely be back in Stoon for his 20 year old season so thats huge

The Sharks who drafted Viedensky have a strong farm team and said he will attend there rookie camp but feel his development 1 more year with Lorne Molleken would be great

So i think for 20's you gotta keep

Viedensky
Zahn who will probably be our new captain
Patterson

And we got some trade bait with the other 19's i think we'll be very strong again

lordstanley
04-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Roster guess for 10/11 season will most likely not be right but could be close
Fowards
Viedensky (20)
Patterson (20)
Hamilton (19)
Dziurzynski (19)
Nicholls (18)
Inglis (18)
Gogol (19)
Benson (17)
Euro (18)
Bews (16)
Sutter (17)
Olsen (16)
Stovan (16)

Defense
Elliott (19)
Zahn (20)
Siemens (17)
Thrower (17)
Kiziuk (18)
Dietz (17)
Vandane (18)

Morrison (18)
Iwan (17)
Oswald (17)

wango tango
04-13-2010, 01:04 PM
yes thank you to hulak wintoneak and klassen. excellent 20's. all went through adversity of one kind or another to become better players and better people.

Joe Hallenback
04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Isn't Zahn signed by Chicago? I would imagine he would be in the AHL then

lordstanley
04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Isn't Zahn signed by Chicago? I would imagine he would be in the AHL then

Just cause he's signed doesn't mean he's a shoe in to play in the AHL i here from a good word that they want him to have another year of junior

Joe Hallenback
04-13-2010, 01:58 PM
He would help alot but I am not sure. Columbus did everything they could to convince Calvert to go to the AHL even with Brandon hosting a Memorial cup

I can't see Viedensky returning either. He is too good and too big to not impress next season. Even if San Jose is loaded in the AHL I can see him making that team.

Even without those guys the Blades should be a contender again. You will be battling with Moose Jaw and Swift Current I think

lordstanley
04-13-2010, 02:39 PM
If Klassen can come back as a 20 Zahn surely can and the same goes with Viedensky if Calvert and Broda amoung others can come back Viedensky will be back thats what Les and the coaching staff were kinda saying so im just going by with what i heard

I agree with the battleing Moose Jaw and Swifty for first in the east no doubt about it

Joe Hallenback
04-13-2010, 02:52 PM
If they all come back then I would put you ahead of those teams. Siemens,Thrower and Benson will be that much better and I though Inglis looked pretty good in the Brandon series

WHEATMAN
04-13-2010, 02:53 PM
If Klassen can come back as a 20 Zahn surely can and the same goes with Viedensky if Calvert and Broda amoung others can come back Viedensky will be back thats what Les and the coaching staff were kinda saying so im just going by with what i heard

I agree with the battleing Moose Jaw and Swifty for first in the east no doubt about it

Yeah, but Calvert came back on his own accord, Columbus wanted him to play pro. There is no way Viedensky is returned especially as he would take up an OA and a Euro spot. I'd bank on Viedensky playing pro for sure.

twentyone
04-14-2010, 09:07 AM
I do think Viedensky is pro ready also and is unlikely to return. But then again I never dreamed Klassen or Kitnar would be back this year. It all depends, what helped for those guys coming back was the fact that they were coming back to contending teams.
in the Star Phoenix Niemi basically stated that he plans to move on. If not the AHL he is drafted by a team in both the KHL and Finnish Elite League.

Zahn and Patterson to me could play pro next year but I think they would benefit form another year in junior. Zahn is tough and solid in his defensive zone but really needs to work on his first pass. I swear he ices the puck at least 5 times a game because of it.

Patterson is one of my favorite players to watch, he is so strong on his skates and fast. Watch a game closely that kid never gets knocked down. That been said I think he could use another year in junior to refine his offensive skills. If he comes back next I think he will be a monster.

I think if they comeback Zahn and patterson are locks to play a 5th year with the organization.

I think Lorne will hold onto Stanford till the last day he needs to. Morrison will half to have a strong camp and start to the season and show he can be a consistent starter in this league. I would love to see Stanford back but to me I would rather see a OA spot not be takin up by a Goalie.

McNaught made a huge difference fo rthis team in my opinion. He opened the ice up for alot of guys on our team however Gogol and Inglis can fill that role next year. Like a goalie I don't agree with an OA spot been taken by a enforcer. (plus like at the end of Klotz junior days nobody in the league will fight McNaught anymore).

I would love to see Acolatse back next year. Down the stretch when Zahn and Niemi were out I thought Acolatse was our best defencemen. I was really impressed with his play. Not to mention his toughness and versitility.

That leaves Boyer and Toomey. Unfortunately I think they are the odd men out. good character guys but this is junior hockey and so is life I think they are gone. You never know what they do in the offseason and come to prove in the fall. remember Ryan Menei, I think everyone thought the guy was all but gone as a 20 yr old then he came into camp in very good shape increased his speed and led the team in points that year.

Anyway I better get to work now.

2 cents from your local arm chair GM

EOK1
04-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks Blades..

For folding like a tent, allowing the Wheat Kings to prevail.

wango tango
04-14-2010, 11:43 AM
EOK1 a little flaming. i'd expect to see that on the white board, not here.

how quaint.

twentyone
04-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks Blades..For folding like a tent, allowing the Wheat Kings to prevail.

HAHAHA

Let talk about folding like a tent for minute

Edmonton - The city of champions

Edmonton Oilers - 30th of 30 teams
Springfeild Falcons - (Oilers AHL team) - 29th of 29 teams
Edmonton oil Kings (Owned by the Oilers) - 21st of 22 teams

So Thank you

The Oiler franchise can't do anything in hockey these days but another couple of years like this and it will be USA vs the Oilers at the Ryder cup instead of USA vs Europe.

lordstanley
04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Don't worry this is comming from a guy who talked so much smack about the Wheat Kings during the reg season then jumps on there bandwagon during the playoffs i wouldn't take him to serious

EOK1
04-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Looks as if I hit a nerve..lol. If your getting rattled off the computer, get help.

Yeah hockey in Edmonton and in the organization wasn't so hot this season, no denying it and I'll be the first to admit, but at least we have banners in our building that mean something, so when the Blades win something of importance, let me know.

I didn't jump on any bandwagon. I was on the W'kings' case this season because they at one point were playing below their potential and as a WHL representative, obviously these chances don't come around often, so I wanted them to do well. Now since my Oil Kings didn't make the playoffs, I picked my next fav. I missed maybe 5 Oil Kings all year (home and away) and have yet to miss Brandon's playoff home games (also made it to Saskatoon to watch that choke job), so it's not like I sit from my house to cheer them on. My ass is spending money to watch them.

When I said the Blades folded like a tent, stop acting like it wasn't the truth, accept it and grow thicker skin. If you can't take what's said on a message board, get the **** off.

Jaybird
04-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Pay no attention to EOK1, seems a little weird really especially telling peope to get the **** off. Maybe one of the Blades took his girlfriend away, hit on his sister or his mother!!!
LOL!!! I'm happy his ass is spending money...keeps the economy going!!!! Do you guys know who this is??.....honestly it is too hilarious!!!

twentyone
04-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Dont worry I try to ignore all edmonton fans. They just make me laugh all the time.

Anyway I think we should get back to what this tread was started for. Thanking the players for the season.

Another thing I must note on this year is how the coaching staff allowed our young players to grow. How many teams in the league down by a goal in the 3rd period of game six facing elimination would throw out 2 16 year old defence pairings. Our staff did and I commend them for it. All year Siemens and Thrower have played in all situations and it will show in the future. They are going to be studs on defence.

I personally think Duncan Siemens is one of the best 16 year old defencmen I have seen in a while. I can't wait to see him in 2 years from now. Hell next year for that matter.

Remember how many fans were upset when Lorne traded Setoguchi. Can you imagine this team without Elliot and Siemens (which is what we ended up with). That was a great move, and why Regina was stupid not to trade Eberle or Teubert. I don't care about what they wanted or what the fans wanted for the better of the team Regina could have been set for long time.

Rebelsfan13
04-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I will have to give it to the Blades they put up a bigger fight against Brandon then I expected they would. I think though some of you are looking into next year through rose colored glasses. You are going to turn 9 players over at a minimum, sure some of your 19 year olds are potential trade bait but every GM in the league knows your situation and has you over a barrell.

Digi
04-16-2010, 04:17 PM
You guys should be proud to have had players like Hulak, Klassen, and Wintoneak. I think they did a great job this year.

Out of all the games I watched the Wheat Kings play this year, the games against the Blades were definitely more of the entertaining ones. I wasn't a big fan of Wintoneak when he was playing against us, but that is because he played us so well. Had he been playing for Brandon, I definitely could have been a big fan!!!

Regardless of who won the series this year, I enjoyed all the games I got to see (and listen too) against Saskatoon this year, couldn't have asked for much more.

Best of luck to all three.

sbtatter
04-16-2010, 04:40 PM
This version of the Blades would be a really easy team to support, I loved the way they worked, never quit and played tough, very impressive. They suffered the last 15 games of regular season from injuries, otherwise they could easily have been the top seed.....