PDA

View Full Version : Year of growth for young Rockets

Malc
04-15-2010, 01:40 PM
The Rockets overcame youth, inexperience and injuries to reach the second round of the WHL playoffs

By Warren Henderson - Kelowna Capital News

Bruce Hamilton is never content when his team’s season ends before mid-April.

Still, in a campaign marked by plenty of adversity—primarily with injuries and the loss of some key veterans—the Kelowna Rockets general manager witnessed more than a few positives in 2009-10.

“I’d have to say I’m somewhat satisfied with the way the season went,” Hamilton said. “When you consider we didn’t get most of our key over-age guys back, we thought we’d get Colin Long back, and then we lose our top player for the second year in a row (Tyler Myers), that makes it tough. This was a very young team, so I don’t think we can feel too bad about how it turned out.

“We had all the injuries, too,” he added. “But we never used it was never used as an issue or an excuse and the coaches did a great job of helping our players work through that.”

After finishing sixth in the Western Conference with 35 wins, the Rockets engineered what most considered a first-round upset as they knocked off the second-place Everett Silvertips in seven games.

And while they were unable to pull off a similar stunt against Tri-City in the conference semifinal—the Americans won in five games—Hamilton said the Rockets played step-for-step with their more experienced opponents.

“We played the top two teams in the west back-to-back,” he said. “We beat Everett, one of the best teams all year in our conference, then we gave Tri-City all they could handle. Every game was a real game in that last series and that was mainly because of Brandon McMillan and Lucas Bloodoff, the way they played and led this team. Our young guys had their eyes opened and that should help us down the road. But I think they played so much during the year, they just ran out of gas.”

For all but the last six weeks of the regular season, the Rockets were dogged by injuries in 2009-10.

As many as eight regulars were sidelined at once during the year, forcing the club to press four 15-year-old rookies into service at one time or another.

Only forward Mitchell Callahan played in all 72 games.

Evan Bloodoff appeared in just nine regular season games after missing six months with a damaged ACL.

And the team once again missed the contributions of Kyle St. Denis who played in only 26 games due to recurring concussion symptoms.

The speedy forward, who has played in only 48 games the last two seasons, will evaluate his situation over the summer to decide whether he will attempt a return in 2010-11.

“The kid’s had a really tough year,” said Hamilton. “It was the right decision to shut him down when we did. He trains every day and he’s getting better, there’s a spark in his eye, but he needs to be 100 per cent if he’s going to come back. We have to do what’s in Kyle’s best interest.”

While St. Denis’ status is up in the air, over-agers Mark Guggenberger, Lucas Bloodoff and Dallas Jackson won’t be back, while Brandon McMillan is expected to make the jump to the pro ranks within the Anaheim Ducks organization.

Forward Geordie Wudrick could return next season as an overage if the Los Angeles Kings choose not to promote him to the professional ranks.

Among the prospects being pursued for next season by the Rockets are forward Colton Sissons, who finished this season with the Westside Warriors, and Zach Franco, a talented forward from Winnipeg who the Rockets like.

Where the Rockets stand to be the strongest in 2010-11 is on defense where only Jackson is moving on.

With veterans Tyson Barrie and Collin Bowman setting the standard, and Colton Jobke, Antoine Corbin and Mitchell Chapman in support, Hamilton said the club’s blue line is in good hands.

“We’re in pretty good shape back on defense,” said Hamilton. “You don’t have four rookies back there like we did and win, but they got a lot of ice time and got better as the year went on. Our coaches did a marvelous job of bringing them along. Our level of maturity I think was in question until Christmas and it took a long time to get them to understand what it takes to play in this league. I thought (Colton) Jobke, in particular, came a long way this season and really improved. I like our group for next season.”

Hamilton also lauded the performance of the entire coaching staff throughout the 2009-10 campaign, including newcomer Dan Lambert.

Hamilton said he plans to sit down in the near future with Ryan Huska in an effort to extend the head coach’s current contract.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_similkameen/kelownacapitalnews/sports/90764724.html