PDA

View Full Version : Rd 3 Game 2: Giants 0 Americans 4 Apr 17, 2010

dondo
04-18-2010, 01:53 AM
I didn't like this one for obvious reasons. The officiating was simply invented garbage, making punitive and lop-sided calls for no apparent reason that I could determine and yet not making calls for equal and worse on the other side of the puck. The boys needed to get more drive to the net and traffic in front of Owsley. The PP sucked badly. The Giants allowed the smaller Ams to out-work them and get to the puck. The G's were awful in their own end, after being so good in game one. Segal was okay, but not good. Allowing 4 goals on 18 shots is not so good and despite turning away 22 of 26, he has better games in him. In fairness though the team left him high and dry frequently. I expect much better in Game 3 and hope that the officials are not a visible factor.

Americans Gouge Giants
Rd 3 Game 2: Vancouver 0 Tri-City 4

Don Robinson

The Giants had the momentum through most of the first period, until a poor give-away in their own end allowed a bad team goal against. Late in the first the refs found something extreme to call, despite blatantly ignoring what lead to the invisible headbutt they said they saw, from one of the least penalized players in the league. Adding an insult to injury extra roughing for a minor push started by the other guy was the ultimate insult. If it was actually a real headbutt then it’s a 5 min penalty and a Game according to their own rules, so I’m not sure how they justify any of their calls tonight. The Ams capitalised early in the second on the tail end of their long 5 on 3 PP. They continued to roll through the back half of the double minor gaining momentum, which permanently shifted the ice towards the Giants net. They scored shortly after the extra penalty expired. The Giants for their own part gave in too easily and were extremely sloppy in their own end of the ice with the puck. They made a lot of their own problems in this one and were not very active clearing the front of their net. Their goalie was okay tonight after being excellent on Friday. The G-Men were guilty of letting the game get away from them and allowing their energy to be sucked out. By the end of the second they didn’t seem to have any more desire to drive to get a goal, let alone a win.

Kevin Connauton was handling the puck behind his own net and the next thing you know it’s a bang, bang, bang play and in the back of his net. The defenseman made a horrific give-away gifting the Ams a prime scoring opportunity at which they did not turn up their noses. Jordan Messier opened the scoring at 7:50 of the first. A dangerous hit on Craig Cunningham had Brett Breitkreuz immediately drop the mitts and begin to beat the crap out of Tyler Schmidt who was a cheap piece of work tonight and deserved a few more beat downs. Breitkreuz got the extra 10 min misconduct when the penalties were handed out.

The Americans went into the break with a minute plus left in their 5 on 3, which carried over into the second period. Brendan Shinnimin put TC up by two on that PP. Johnny Lazo scored not long later getting a weird bounce past Mark Segal, increasing the Americans lead to 3. The Giants managed to weather the Ams other PP chances. Despite out shooting the Ams in the first and second periods they could not solve Drew Owsley who was both good and lucky as most goalies that get a shutout are. The Giants made it tough for Owsley in the second period with a late flurry, but he turned aside all of their chances. The Giants badly squandered every one of their PP chances. The Ams were quick to the puck and cleared their zone almost surgically. They hustled well and kept shots to the outside for the majority. The Giants failed to get good traffic in front of Owsley and earned themselves few good scoring chances. They let the adversity in the game get to them and that’s not Giants hockey. Kruise Reddick salted away the game in the third scoring an unassisted tally off of yet another bad give-away, putting away a wrap-around behind Segal. The Giants managed a paltry 5 shots in the third and felt as if they had essentially given into their fate and that I don’t like. It ain’t over ‘til its over and teams in this league can score 4 and 5 goals in a period, with the Giants being one of those teams. Credit Owsley for keeping his squad with the momentum by defusing any and all of the Giants scoring chances.

The two teams both had 26 shots on net, with the Ams getting the majority of the rubber in the third period. The Americans went 1 for 7 on the PP, while the Giants were 0 for 3. Few bright spots in the Giants line-up as the majority of players throughout the line-up carried minuses. James Henry’s 11 game point streak was unceremoniously broken tonight, but he was one of the few Giants players who was even on the night. In my opinion, Nathan Wieler and Trevor Hanson, both young refs, should hang up their orange stripes as they did not call the game in front of them, but deliberately and adversely affected a game with poor calls, poor decisions (and non-calls) throughout the game. I have a problem when refs take it upon themselves to make a difference in a game and they did in this one. I get very disappointed when the officiating is a story in a game and feel that names should be named when they fail to do their jobs. The series heads to Vancouver for Game 3 on Tuesday. The Americans guaranteed themselves a game 5 back home, but the Giants are hoping to be back in the drivers seat using home ice as an advantage. The puck drops at the Coliseum at 7pm PDT.

Three Stars

1. Drew Owsley
2. Johnny Lazo
3. Tyler Schmidt