PDA

View Full Version : Rumours swirl that Ferraro could land with Vancouver Giants

rebel
04-27-2010, 08:10 PM
a very intereting rumour but is it true????????????

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Rumours+swirl+that+Ferraro+could+land+with+Vancouv er+Giants/2957830/story.html

Rebelsfan13
04-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Very interesting article, I am not sure who we would want in return. It is unlikely to be a one for one deal. Do you get a propsect and a player or is Tendler part of the deal? I am looking forward to the draft to see if anything happens then.

SectionNDeserter
04-27-2010, 10:16 PM
I don't think it would be too entirely shocking. While still extremely talented, he is no longer the top player on the Rebels, and he strikes me as the sort of player that would have a problem with this.

Only problems I see with this rumor is that;

a) The Giants need better/more experienced goaltending far more than they need more scoring. They will likely add a 19 year old scorer from the destined for/NCAA ranks as they always do to fill this role, rather than giving up a big part of their team for Ferraro.

b) I am not sure they even currently possess what the Rebels would be asking in return for him, and if they did, the Rebels would have to basically have the same thing coming back.

c) Vancouver got totally raped on the Cass Mappin deal. In the past, you generally will see a team's negotiations cool significantly for a while after a lopsided deal. This could work both ways though, as both teams might be itching to make another deal that works out better for both parties.

Guess we will have to wait and see!

RDRebelsfan
04-27-2010, 11:57 PM
I highly doubt the Giants would trade Tendler. I'm not too sure goaltending is an issue for them, sure Segal didn't put up stellar playoff numbers but they seem to be by him. Tendler they'll keep, and Jensen is waiting in the wings.

Tinner
04-28-2010, 04:22 AM
Since the Ferraro's have made it known they're not happy and the fact that the Rebels aren't happy, a trade is the only thing thats let. Red Deer will try to get a top 3 guy, but it won't be easy. Rebels need a guy that can play now, so I'll guess a top 6 guy and a high draft pick (2nd round 2010) if the deal is done before the draft.

Rebelsfan13
04-28-2010, 12:48 PM
I agree that Tendler isn't likely in the mix from Vancouvers side, but from Red Deer's side I think you have to ask and explore that option. I totally agree Section N with your B comment, when I look at their roster there isn't really anyone that would jump out at Red Deer and just trading 19 year olds that have the same skill isn't likely what Vancouver is looking to do, that is why I don't see this deal happening on a one for one basis. If Red Deer wants him gone then I think you go after a prospect like Dalton Sward and maybe a draft pick. If that is too rich then I don't know where else you go, I think the article is accurate that Red Deer would covet Alberta players so that leaves Burns and Lamoreux and neither one of them or even both of them is not enough compensation. I think you pursue Tendler, maybe Vancouver has another move in the works to get a goalie, if that road is a dead end then you try and get Sward and another pick otherwise find another dance partner to move him.

Rebelsfan13
04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
The Mappin Kudrna deal we won, but Vancouver might also realize that he wore on us as was evident when he sat the final game. That might take some of the sting away from how the deal initially turned out.

RDRebelsfan
04-28-2010, 01:02 PM
It's obvious one of Vancouver's goalies will go somewhere. But is that what the Rebels will be looking for in return?

Some here feel we got good enough goalies waiting in the wings. Maybe we do. More htna Likely Kuemper will be back and more than likely will have one of the 20 year olds spots, and more than likely stays over Barnstable. Speculation only.

Perhaps a deal near the import draft could occur where the Giants would get Ferraro, Persson and a pick of some sort while the Rebels could obtain a top 6 roster player and then use their higher import pick to draft a euro goaltender.

Of course the euro goaltender would only occur if neither Kuemper or Barnstable are around to mentor up a younger goal keeper.

Just a thought.

Rebelsfan13
04-28-2010, 01:26 PM
I am not sure whether or not the Rebels would go after a goalie or not. I am only speculating that they could be based on my beliefs of running a WHL team. I really dislike using a 20 year old spot on a goalie. I say that because my beliefs also are that your 20 year old forward has to be a top 6 forward and your 20 year old defenseman has to be a top 4 d-man. If you don't have that and are unable to get that then I guess you could use a spot on a goalier like Kuemper. I agree he will be here over Barnstable. Right now I think that both Ferguson and Archer meet my requirements above and will be here as 20 year olds, who knows maybe Coetzee does come back, although I am not counting on it. There might be other guys out there available too as a handful of teams have way too many 19 year olds this year and we could poach from them.

Those are just my thoughts, I am not the owner nor am I the GM so if there philosophy is different then I will be wrong.

You got to love the excitement that the team is bringing after the previous few years there wasn't much to be excited for in the offseason. With this team there is at least some upside the next few years.

rebel
04-28-2010, 01:53 PM
i Heard ferraro and Nugent-Hopkins going over for Bouma,Vincour,Connauton, and a 7th rounder. sounds kinda dumb but who knows

Shinyshoes
04-28-2010, 02:31 PM
the chances of us trading Nugent-Hopkins this off season or this upcomming year are closer to None than slim.

Rebelsfan13
04-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Not going to happen, three 20 year olds for a 17, and 19 year old?

RDRebelsfan
04-28-2010, 04:11 PM
i Heard ferraro and Nugent-Hopkins going over for Bouma,Vincour,Connauton, and a 7th rounder. sounds kinda dumb but who knows

I just spit out my water reading this, due to laughter.

BTW what you heard was bull**** posted on the WHL white board.

Rebelsfan13
04-28-2010, 04:21 PM
By the way the Nuge won the WHL rookie of the year! Way to go RNH!

Nature Boy
04-28-2010, 05:19 PM

That would have to be one of the dumbest trades in franchise history. Nugent-Hopkins is a building block player. I agree with Shiney comments that there is no chance of Nugent-Hopkins being traded. The ones from Vancouver are 19 and 20 and we would be giving up our future for a run now I don' think that will happen. I do how ever see Ferraro being traded before the start of next season. We will see what the Bantam and Euro draft brings to us.

SectionNDeserter
04-28-2010, 05:52 PM
The Mappin Kudrna deal we won, but Vancouver might also realize that he wore on us as was evident when he sat the final game. That might take some of the sting away from how the deal initially turned out.He was consistently one of our best two-way forwards from the moment we acquired him, until about a week before the playoffs, when the team as a whole seemed to struggle. Vancouver got like a month out of Mappin before shipping him off to Regina for a backup goalie.

i Heard ferraro and Nugent-Hopkins going over for Bouma,Vincour,Connauton, and a 7th rounder. sounds kinda dumb but who knowsThat deal isn't going to happen. Rebels have way too many overage players as it is, without adding 3 more. This would also give us 3 imports. And any deal involving Nugent-Hopkins would involve waaaaaaaaaaay more than 3 overage players coming back the other way and a draft pick that a lot of teams wouldn't even use.

I agree that Tendler isn't likely in the mix from Vancouvers side, but from Red Deer's side I think you have to ask and explore that option.Tendler may not ever become the goaltender that he was projected to become. He is heading into his 18 year old season with some very average numbers, especially when you consider the team he was playing in front of.

Perhaps a deal near the import draft could occur where the Giants would get Ferraro, Persson and a pick of some sort while the Rebels could obtain a top 6 roster player and then use their higher import pick to draft a euro goaltender.Persson was starting to come on near the end of the season, and was really throwing his weight around in the playoffs. The Import draft is such a crapshoot, that if you wind up with a player that isn't a liability, you probably just want to hang on to them, unless you are able to somehow procure the services of a top NHL import prospect. Starkov was the last one the Rebels were able to draft, sandwiched between such flops as Wick, Polak, Kivisto and Barak.