PDA

View Full Version : Rockets future built at draft table

Malc
04-28-2010, 02:21 PM
By Warren Henderson - Kelowna Capital News

With another year of homework, extensive road trips and hundreds of games in the books, decision day 2010 is about to arrive for Lorne Frey.

The Kelowna Rockets’ director of player personnel will build on his club’s future Thursday at the Western Hockey League bantam draft in Edmonton.

The Rockets will choose ninth overall as the best 1995-born talent from across Western Canada and the Western U.S. is up for grabs.

“There’s good quantity and good quality available this year, there’s some excellent depth on defense and there are a lot of skilled forwards,” said Frey. “There are obviously some very good players, the challenge will be finding the right one. I wouldn’t say we’re leaning one way or the other, defense or forward, it’s a matter of us picking the best player available.”

Choosing in the ninth spot, there are a number of players Frey knows the Rockets won’t see, including Saskatchewan’s Alex Forsberg, a forward for the Beardy’s Blackhawks who in the consensus No. 1 pick.

Calgary forwards Jon Merkley and Morgan Klimchuk are also expected to draw major interest at the top, along with Winnipeg defenceman Madison Bowey, Calgary blue liners Josh Morrissey and Jesse Lees, California forward Brian Williams, and Kelowna Pursuit of Excellence centre Curtis Lazar.

There’s a chance one or more of those players could fall as far as ninth, depending on the needs of each team.

Frey said the bulk of the 1995-born talent comes out of Alberta this year, a point that was driven home over the weekend as the Rockets head scout watched that province’s best perform at the Alberta Cup.

“There were 160 players there and I wouldn’t be surprised if maybe 100 of those kids went in the draft,” he said. “The tournament and quality of players there was outstanding, one of the best I’ve seen.”

The Rockets will choose ninth in the first, second, third and fifth rounds.

Several members of the Kelowna West Coast Authentic bantam AAA Rockets could have their names called on Thursday.

Among the candidates who have drawn the most interest from scouts are defenceman Riley Osotoforoff and Ayrton Nikkel, and forward Brennan Clarke.

“I’ve had calls on probably 10 of our players, so it would be nice to see four or five of them get picked,” said bantam Rockets coach Steve Cawley. “Being drafted is an honour and shows the potential the scouts believe they have, but that’s just the beginning and they have to keep improving. On the other hand, if a kid doesn’t get drafted that’s not the end for them. Players can change immensely between 14 and 17.”

whenderson@kelownacapnews.com

http://www.bclocalnews.com/okanagan_similkameen/kelownacapitalnews/sports/92210294.html

Malc
04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
D Ayrton Nikkel was picked by Saskatoon #42.
RW Brennan Clark was picked by Chilliwack #139.