PDA

View Full Version : Rumor

Tinner
05-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Although only rumor, here's something I heard this week. As everyone is aware, a new franchise has been awared to Chilliwack. Look for 3 new franchises to be added. Intersted groups from Edmonton, Winnipeg and Victoria are pressuring the league to expand. From the league point of view, they want these teams but are concerned about the quality of product being iced with another 100 roster spots to fill.

If true, hear are some solutions;

1. Allow each team to carry 4, 20 year olds. This does 2 things, fills 24 of the 100 roster spots and hopefully, keeps the quality of play up.

2. Get a better working agreement with the NCAA, which would eliminate the loss of scholarship opportunities.

3. Continue to upgrade the WHL schooling opportunites so that Americans want to play in this league. If the Dub is a viable option, then we have opened a tremendous resourse of players to add to the talent pool.

4. Allow only 2, 16 years olds to play on each team. This would, in the long run, allow all kids to stay in midget 1 more year, therefore gain the necessary development they need, therefore improve quality of play in the league.

Just my random thoughts

BWK
05-09-2005, 10:22 AM
You know what Rebel39. I don't hear any expansion talk coming out of Winnipeg (although I'm not exactly an insider with the WHL). Nothing in the media and really, no rumours at all.

I know the Wheat Kings played five games there this year and I think were very underwhelmed by the response. 4000 in the MTS Centre made it look empty and many of us there came from Brandon. Granted the crowds would probably be bigger for the Winnipeg team but....

The Winnipeg media has been very good with their coverage of the Wheat Kings play-off run, often having their games as the lead story over the Moose, even when they play the same night.

Just a gut feeling but, I think, if it came to a vote about expanding to Winnipeg, Mc Crimmon would be against it and would probably call in some favours from the recent Tri-City move vote, to vote against it.

wango tango
05-10-2005, 05:34 PM
as long as the ahl is in winnipeg it is not a viable option for the whl. the ticket prices are just too close.

watch for edmonton to be added, probably in time for the 2006-07 season, bringing the number of teams to 22. 11 in each conference. the playoff format would be changed to the top eight in each conference.

bc division - prince george, chilliwack, vancouver, kootenay, kamloops, kelowna.

us division - portland, seattle, tri cities, everett, spokane.

central division - lethbridge, medicine hat, calgary, red deer, edmonton.

east division - moose jaw, swift current, brandon, regina, saskatoon, prince albert.

the sense i get is once the league is a 22 teams, and the conferences are balanced again, the only way a city will get a franchise is if one is relocated....

unless someone decides to do a toigo, burke/porter/sather, and threatens to move the ams. seems that's the ticket to forcing the league's hand and getting a team in your city ;)

RunTheGoalie
05-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Look for Edmonton to be added, but 22 teams will be it.

Victoria is not large enough to support both the ECHL and WHL.

Jew Panda
05-13-2005, 01:35 AM
1. Allow each team to carry 4, 20 year olds. This does 2 things, fills 24 of the 100 roster spots and hopefully, keeps the quality of play up.

2. Get a better working agreement with the NCAA, which would eliminate the loss of scholarship opportunities.

3. Continue to upgrade the WHL schooling opportunites so that Americans want to play in this league. If the Dub is a viable option, then we have opened a tremendous resourse of players to add to the talent pool.

4. Allow only 2, 16 years olds to play on each team. This would, in the long run, allow all kids to stay in midget 1 more year, therefore gain the necessary development they need, therefore improve quality of play in the league.

I like these ideas, regardless of teams expanding or not. One more year in midget is invaluable and would steadily increase the offensive production in every category for the WHL.

It never hurts to welcome our southern friends, as this would only promote the WHL as a large market league and will also contribute to the increase in talent within each team. Perhaps teams could run similar to an import draft when recruiting U.S. players.

I never like to see a solid 20-year-old released simply because of numbers, so your proposal I am in favour of.

Wingnut
05-13-2005, 05:06 PM

Both the WHL and QMJHL have agreed to go with 4 overagers for next season. The OHL is against it, so far. This is what's holding up the change.

peatfan
05-14-2005, 03:11 AM
I haven't read this anywhere about next year. Good idea if they did this. :wave:

RunTheGoalie
05-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Both the WHL and QMJHL have agreed to go with 4 overagers for next season. The OHL is against it, so far. This is what's holding up the change.

Not that that means a whole lot, as each league generally sets it's own rules. I cant see the OHL having the ability to prevent the Q and the Dub from doing this given their desire to change the rules on the fly for Tavares.

Also, it is inevitable that there will be more 20 year olds in the CHL, as Hockey Canada is set to adopt some serious changes to the number of 16 year olds and imports allowed in the CHL.

From Bob MacKenzie in the first intermission of today's game:

Next year they will allow no more than four 16 year olds per team. In 06-07, only three per team, and in 07-08 only two. NO 15 year olds, except those that can show they are exceptional enough that they can play, though it is expected that this will be very rare (think Crosby and Tavares).

By 07-08, teams will be allowed only one European import, and a cap on the number of American born players will be placed on the Canadian based teams.

Now, given that there will likely be 60 or more teams by 2007-08, the only way the league is going to be able to find enough talent will be to increase the number of 20 year olds beyond four per team.

Sput
05-14-2005, 05:38 PM

When did this happen? I haven't heard anything about this rule change. Could be a big bonus for all the Dub teams to get one extra 20 in the lineup.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-14-2005, 08:44 PM
When did this happen? I haven't heard anything about this rule change. Could be a big bonus for all the Dub teams to get one extra 20 in the lineup.

(that is If the OHL agrees then the rule change will happen) I heard this the second Intermisssion of the Canada VS Russia game on TSN on the Bob Mackenzie segment I think it would be a good rule because If the leagues have too many 16 yr olds on each team and they are not fully ready to play at the next leve. I think that young players should not be rushed if they are not ready to play at the next level, as for Increasing the number of 20 yr olds I am in favor of this also because If a team has 4 20 year olds on thier team and the limit is 3 then that the team to make a desicion. If all of the 20 yr old players are skilled players than one of them would have to be released or traded, I really do not think that a talented hockey player should be let go just because of the number of 20 yr olds that are allowed on each team. Now by incresing the number of 20 yr olds to 4 would somewhat eliminate the problem of releasing a player just because of the rule. I am all in favor of these new changes that will occur.

Scout
05-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Don't get your hopes to high. As much as i would love to see the C.H.L. add another 20 year-old and do all the players changes, this has been thrown back and forth for some time. Branch ( O.H.L. ) is dead against it. I agree and have for quite sometime, increase to 4-20's and limit the 16's so they can develop better in their own age group.

It could be with the glut of players in the minors that the N.H.L. may be putting pressure on the C.H.L. so the glut slows a bit. Unless Bettman and Goodenough step aside in negotiations to end the strike, i don't think we will see N.H.L. hockey next year either. To many players that graduate from the C.H.L. have no where to go and either end up in a lower league where their skills don't develop or just quit.

Scout

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Don't get your hopes to high. As much as i would love to see the C.H.L. add another 20 year-old and do all the players changes, this has been thrown back and forth for some time. Branch ( O.H.L. ) is dead against it. I agree and have for quite sometime, increase to 4-20's and limit the 16's so they can develop better in their own age group.

It could be with the glut of players in the minors that the N.H.L. may be putting pressure on the C.H.L. so the glut slows a bit. Unless Bettman and Goodenough step aside in negotiations to end the strike, i don't think we will see N.H.L. hockey next year either. To many players that graduate from the C.H.L. have no where to go and either end up in a lower league where their skills don't develop or just quit.

Scout

But if they do not happen then leagues will not be hurt,if this rule does not pass then their is nothing that the fans can do except watch Junior hockey the way it is and I am fine with that.