PDA

View Full Version : Wings Sign Callahan

Malc
05-06-2010, 01:47 PM
By Warren Henderson - Kelowna Capital News

When the Detroit Red Wings paid a visit to Kelowna in March, general manager Ken Holland said he was encouraged by Mitchell Callahan’s progress.

Six weeks later, the Wings signed the Kelowna Rockets’ master agitator to a three-year entry-level pro contract.

“It’s a big step for me,” said Callahan, drafted in the sixth round, 180th overall by Detroit in 2009. “The (Wings) are a great organziation and it’s an honour to be thought of as part of their future. I can’t mess up the chance…I have to keep improving.”

And there’s little question the Californina native showed improvement during this second campaign in the WHL.

The 5-foot-11 175 pound forward boosted his offensive totals from 27 to 47 points (20 goals) over his rookie season, without sacrificing his characteristic feistiness with 165 minutes in penalties.

Rockets head coach Ryan Huska said Callahan became a better all-around player in 2009-10.

“We wanted him to be good at both ends of the ice, to work harder on his defensive game while maintaining the edge and toughness he plays with,” said Huska. “The difference was, he began fighting on his own terms and when the team needed him to, not whenever anyone asked him to—which is what he did a lot as a rookie.

”The Wings obviously like what Mitch is all about,” added Huska, “an agitator with skill who everyone wants to have on their team, but nobody wants to play against.”

Getting his name on a pro contract so quickly seemed an unlikely scenario just two seasons ago. Left undrafted as a bantam, he made the Rockets as a walk-on at the club’s training camp in 2008.

“I’ve always felt I was a hardworking kid, I set some definite goals, and always believed in myself,” said Callahan. “I’m not at the end of my goal yet, I'm going to work as hard as I can and keep this going.”

http://www.kelownarockets.com/hockey/news-display.php?public_id=2113&section_id=5