PDA

View Full Version : Toews to Brandon?

dagley
05-09-2010, 09:36 PM
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/2010/05/toews-headed-to-whl-in-2010-11.html#more

Allin44
05-09-2010, 09:56 PM
funny he'd choose next year instead of this year. Probably knew he would struggle to be a top 9 here this year.

Joe Hallenback
05-10-2010, 07:41 AM
I think he would have been top 9 easily. It might have meant they don't trade for Wiebe. He is a really solid player lost in the shuffle at ND. His game is much better suited for the WHL the college. I talked to him last summer and the Wheaties were really pushing for him to come this season but he wanted to honor his commitment to UND. Sounds like that soured though. People can talk all they want about how College teams treat there players but I bet UND has told him and a few others they won't be playing that much or at all.

He would come in as a 20 year old so I am guessing Wiebe,Toews and Bestland as 20 year olds?

It is going to a strange transition year next season

witness
05-10-2010, 09:45 AM
What a nice bonus for the Wheat Kings.

The College route does not always comes as advertised. There are a number of kids that gave up two years of WHL eligibilty to go play in the US College system, only to find that the school/program tries to back out of promises made. The bottom line is, if the coach that recruited you moves on, the chances of you getting lost in the suffle are great. The new coach has alignances with the player he has recruited and is not going to fulfill promises and commitments made by the last coach.

Toews has given up two years of development playing in a competitive league for 80 plus games a season on a team with top calibre talent and good coaching. If you truely want to play in the NHL, was the college route really the best option?

Joe Hallenback
05-10-2010, 09:53 AM
He really should have came here to begin with. He could have had 4 years already in the league with a chance at the Memorial cup. He would have been a 5 year man and whether he made it to the NHL or someone else to play hockey he would have had 5 years of paid College to fall back on

Joe Hallenback
05-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Lets look at the Lines next year. If Schenn is back then

Glennie Schenn Toews
Wiebe Ferland Stone
Sinatynski Ciarelli Walker
?????? Swripya ??????

Bestland Melnychuk
Miller Fransoo
Hunter Roy
????

Listom
??????

Not bad at all. Plus that leaves 2 imports. Perhaps we can snag a Defensman and Goalie in the import draft

lordstanley
05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Schenn wont be back and you guys will be batteling with Regina to stay out of the basement

lordstanley
05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Lets look at the Lines next year. If Schenn is back then

Glennie Schenn Toews
Wiebe Ferland Walker
Sinatynski Ciarelli Swyripa
?????? ?????? ??????

Bestland Melnychuk
Miller Fransoo
Hunter Roy
????

Listom
??????

Not bad at all. Plus that leaves 2 imports. Perhaps we can snag a Defensman and Goalie in the import draft

Do you even know your team at all you forgot Stone lol

Joe Hallenback
05-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Schenn wont be back and you guys will be batteling with Regina to stay out of the basement

LA has 3 Centers

Kopitar
Stoll
Handzus

They are set 1,2 and 3. He would be competing for the 4th line spot. The only way he is not back is if he blows them away at training camp. LA has no reason to rush Schenn. They have alot of players in the minors and they can let him come back dominate and play in the World Juniors

You should study history a little more Brandon has a way of always being competitive. If Schenn does come back that will give us a scary number 1 line backed up by a very good number 2 line. Alot will depend on goaltending and if we can some imports in.

lordstanley
05-10-2010, 12:07 PM
I think Schenn has a 10 % chance in comming back i actually do see him being L.A's 4th line center heck the guy even got called up for a game this year as a 18 year old most teams don't do that unless there dead serious in keeping a guy and by the way Toews is way overated

I mean David Toews only had 26 points in 2 seasons while Jonathon Toews had 39 points in 1 season i really don't like the averege of 13 points a season for David ouch !!

Sinbin1
05-10-2010, 02:10 PM
I think Schenn has a 10 % chance in comming back i actually do see him being L.A's 4th line center heck the guy even got called up for a game this year as a 18 year old most teams don't do that unless there dead serious in keeping a guy and by the way Toews is way overated

Reality is he was the closest centerman available to them on a bad day for travel....look back at what day this was on? American Thanksgiving. The next closest available guy was on the east coast and Schenn was in BC at the Superseries or whatever this was called. The Game he played in was in Vancouver so...reality is he was the closest available guy! Yes He will be an NHLer but I am not sure it will be next season.

dagley
05-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Because our team is so use to bottom feeding right?

Trevor
05-10-2010, 05:03 PM

I mean David Toews only had 26 points in 2 seasons while Jonathon Toews had 39 points in 1 season i really don't like the averege of 13 points a season for David ouch !!

Add another 0 to your percentage, and then you might be on to something. The Kings are way too deep up the middle for him to crack the NHL as a 19 year old.

SectionNDeserter
05-10-2010, 05:10 PM
LA has 3 Centers

Kopitar
Stoll
Handzus

They are set 1,2 and 3. He would be competing for the 4th line spot.Not entirely true, a huge number of players that play center in junior end up playing wing in pro hockey. A centerman is basically a winger that can win faceoffs, and if they have a great deal of skill, and it turns out they aren't as great at faceoffs at the NHL level (or there are a number of other players on the team that are better at it), then they play on the wing. Him returning next season would be a huge bonus, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

Trevor
05-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Not entirely true, a huge number of players that play center in junior end up playing wing in pro hockey. A centerman is basically a winger that can win faceoffs, and if they have a great deal of skill, and it turns out they aren't as great at faceoffs at the NHL level (or there are a number of other players on the team that are better at it), then they play on the wing. Him returning next season would be a huge bonus, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

IMO he's not fast enough to play the wing. I'm not trying to knock Schenn, but that's where he needs improvement. Watching that one game when he was an emergency call up for LA, he was always the last forward in the play. If he had the speed of Glennie or Calvert then I would be much more worried about him not coming back next season.

Allin44
05-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Also because of the CBA uncertainty they have to account for his bonuses next year, meaning despite the fact he is only earning 950K + bonuses, they have to keep enough cap room(about 3.5 million) open in case he was to hit them all. A 3.5 million 19 year old playing on the 3rd or 4th line isnt good cap management

lordstanley
05-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Colton Gillies made the Wild as a 19 year old anything can happen lol

EOK1
05-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Colton Gillies made the Wild as a 19 year old anything can happen lol

What a mistake that was. How is he doing again? Oh right the same team that drafted Thelen 8th overall. That organization doesn't know **** all.

lordstanley
05-11-2010, 10:33 AM
What a mistake that was. How is he doing again? Oh right the same team that drafted Thelen 8th overall. That organization doesn't know **** all.

Jaques Lemaire was just starting to get good at ruining young players careers before he got canned Gillies was a decent power foward in the dub but to make it as a 19 year old blew my mind hell i thought he would even be back as a 20 let alone a 19 that was messed up

Wheatie Pete
05-11-2010, 03:35 PM

Man who are you joking! You will lose 5 of your top 6 scorers next year, your top goalie and best d-man. Out side of Inglis and maybe Patterson you don't have any scoring that won't be a 2o year old. Of those you have 8 20 year olds and I would imagine both of you imports will be gone. Of the 20 year olds remaining Zaun and Toomey may be the only ones who may be able to put the puck in the net.

Don't be thinking you are going to rule the division, on paper we have a better team. We will see though, KM is a magician at taking other peoples garbage and making gold( ie Steven Later from where??? oh ya Toon town for a song)

Don't rule out Toni coming back, think he is a year or so away from the pro game.

lordstanley
05-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Man who are you joking! You will lose 5 of your top 6 scorers next year, your top goalie and best d-man. Out side of Inglis and maybe Patterson you don't have any scoring that won't be a 2o year old. Of those you have 8 20 year olds and I would imagine both of you imports will be gone. Of the 20 year olds remaining Zaun and Toomey may be the only ones who may be able to put the puck in the net.

Don't be thinking you are going to rule the division, on paper we have a better team. We will see though, KM is a magician at taking other peoples garbage and making gold( ie Steven Later from where??? oh ya Toon town for a song)

Don't rule out Toni coming back, think he is a year or so away from the pro game.

Oh yeah we don't have anyone who is gonna score Viedensky i heard from a very reliable source will be back just as Kytnar came back as a 20 this season so we have Viedensky Hamilton Patterson Nicholls Inglis Dziurzynski Benson thats 7 guys right there with a very soild defense and Morrison in net

Brandon most likely will have back Glennie Wiebe Stone and Ferland Walker to put the puck in the net not enough depth if you as me oh and i forgot the all mighty Toews lol another thing Rajala wont be back he has been told he has to head back to Finland for a year of millitary

lordstanley
05-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Like cmon dude how do you think your gonna be competative again next season losing the likes of

Schenn
Raedeke
Calvert
Lewadniuk
Rajala
Fehr
Robak
Hamonic
Urbom
Deserres/or Hayes

EOK1
05-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Oh yeah we don't have anyone who is gonna score Viedensky i heard from a very reliable source will be back just as Kytnar came back as a 20 this season so we have Viedensky Hamilton Patterson Nicholls Inglis Dziurzynski Benson thats 7 guys right there with a very soild defense and Morrison in net

Brandon most likely will have back Glennie Wiebe Stone and Ferland Walker to put the puck in the net not enough depth if you as me oh and i forgot the all mighty Toews lol another thing Rajala wont be back he has been told he has to head back to Finland for a year of millitary

If your source isn't the Shark's GM and coach, STFU. Brandon never rebuilds, they reload. You certainly aren't new, so you must know that somehow, someway, Brandon will remain competitive.

Trevor
05-11-2010, 05:07 PM

You honestly think there is a better chance of a Viedensky being returned that Schenn??:nope: Hell, the odds are even better of Raedeke being returned that Viedensky.

I'm not including Viedensky in your list, cause there's about a 1% chance that a drafted, European 20 year old will be in the WHL. The funny part about your list is that the 5 Wheat Kings you listed out scored the 6 Blades (as I'm not counting Marek) this season 214-207. And the Blades will lose Klassen and Niemi for sure on the back end, and maybe Zahn and Elliot. (Highly unlikely for Elliot I know) So the stellar defense loses a lot of star power if that happens.

Rajala techincally doesn't have to serve his 1 year in the Finnish military. Service can be delayed for certain reasons until age 28. That being said, it is the popular opinion here in Brandon that he will return to Finland next year.

Allin44
05-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Brandon is probably due for an off year. Granted Kelly makes trade after trade that seems to improve the team for next to nothing(this year being an exception), and Al Macpherson and the rest of the staff do an incredible job scouting, there is a chance for a good year if Schenn returns. If he does, I'd hope KM doesn't pull a Parker and hesitate on trading him + Glennie at the deadline.

Joe Hallenback
05-12-2010, 07:51 AM
Brandon was voted as having the best prospects of any team in the WHL this year as voted on by the league GMs. That bodes well for our team in the future.

Scruffy
05-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Keep your eyes peeled this week end and you might see who they consider their best prospects as Kelly has invited some down to watch some games this week end.
I expect Toews will have an invite to come and have a look.
Kelly does a exceptional job of keeping in contact with the PPL and making those kids feel they are welcome and important to Brandon. Most teams would have dropped Toews long ago assuming it was a done deal in ND. Kelly must have kept in contact enough to feel there was some hope there.

lordstanley
05-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Brandon was voted as having the best prospects of any team in the WHL this year as voted on by the league GMs. That bodes well for our team in the future.

I deffinitly agree that us and you guys may have the best prospects in the east conf !! no doubt about that

Joe Hallenback
05-12-2010, 01:02 PM
I am going to say one name but don't get nuts

Jaden Schwartz

He is going to go in the first round and from what I am hearing KM will be making a big push to convince him to come.

His Brother though was on the WCHA rookie team. I know he really wants to join his brother but going in the first round could mean a fast track to the NHL and if a team drafts him they may want to convince him to go that route

Crush Kill Destroy
05-12-2010, 02:01 PM
The Wheat Kings have the rights to Rylan Schwartz, but not Jaden.

Tri-City took Jaden in the 8th round of the 2007 draft. I think speculation was that McCrimmon might try to acquite Jaden at the time he was trying to get Rylan to report. Never happened that I am aware of.

Joe Hallenback
05-13-2010, 08:13 AM
The Wheat Kings have the rights to Rylan Schwartz, but not Jaden.

Tri-City took Jaden in the 8th round of the 2007 draft. I think speculation was that McCrimmon might try to acquite Jaden at the time he was trying to get Rylan to report. Never happened that I am aware of.

I thought they acquired the rights to Jaden either via trade or Tri-City dropped his rights and Brandon picked them up

witness
05-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I have no doubt that Jaden is looking to come to the WHL.

I think that Rylan is going to turn pro. And he was the huge influence for Jaden to play down in the States. But, before Bandon gets too excited, I have my suspensions that he will want to play closer to home. I would imagine that either Regina or Moose Jaw (maybe Swift Current) would love to add a skilled player like Jaden.

Tri Cities still hold his rights and something would have to move in that regard.

lordstanley
05-13-2010, 04:25 PM
I heard rumors of Jaden comming to the Blades time will tell

The Wheatiemaniac
06-10-2010, 03:35 PM
I like the chance of Toews coming next year and being an impact player. We will not be near as weak as people might think. KM always finds a way to pry guys out of the woodwork when you least expect it. Toews will be a first line player and I feel he will be a big time part of our team next season, regardless of what some sour grapes Saskatoon fans might think.

nivek_wahs
06-10-2010, 03:42 PM
I like the chance of Toews coming next year and being an impact player. We will not be near as weak as people might think. KM always finds a way to pry guys out of the woodwork when you least expect it. Toews will be a first line player and I feel he will be a big time part of our team next season, regardless of what some sour grapes Saskatoon fans might think.If he's anything like his older brother (even half as good) he will easily be a top 6 forward with the Wheats.

Allin44
06-10-2010, 06:07 PM
If he's anything like his older brother (even half as good) he will easily be a top 6 forward with the Wheats.

by all accounts hes not

DunnerStunner
06-11-2010, 08:38 AM
by all accounts hes not

have you seen him play?, and what do you mean "by all accounts?"

lordstanley
06-11-2010, 08:44 AM
I would say Toews is ok probably 20 goals and 50 points if he comes

Boltz9
06-11-2010, 09:45 AM

Is it really that hard to understand?

Look at his stats...

Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM
2008-09 U. of North Dakota NCAA 23 5 6 11 4
2009-10 U. of North Dakota NCAA 32 4 11 15 12

Compared to Jonathan's...

2005-06 U. of North Dakota NCAA 42 22 17 39 22
2006-07 U. of North Dakota NCAA 34 18 28 46 10

The Wheatiemaniac
06-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Is it really that hard to understand?

Look at his stats...

2008-09 U. of North Dakota NCAA 23 5 6 11 4
2009-10 U. of North Dakota NCAA 32 4 11 15 12

Compared to Jonathan's...

2005-06 U. of North Dakota NCAA 42 22 17 39 22
2006-07 U. of North Dakota NCAA 34 18 28 46 10

Jonathan Toews was a first line center with UND and played first line minutes. The reason David is leaving UND is because of low playing time. He no doubt isn't playing alot of mins even when he does dress for a game. Plus what kind of linemates did he have? Look at Brendan Walker this year. Fourth Line and got the odd points, but when he got bumped up a line or two, he actually produced.
I'm not guaranteeing he's gonna win the scoring title, and it will be an adjustment for him. But lets see how he looks in training camp before we assume his stats speak for his skill level. I doubt it would hurt us having him here.

SectionNDeserter
06-11-2010, 11:09 PM
The only real issue I have with these guys coming in, is when they wait to do it in their overage season. Don't overlook what a guy like Toews does to the dressing room dynamics when he returns to the WHL at 20 (after snubbing the league in favor of NCAA) and supplants some guy who has played 3 or 4 seasons in the league, and who probably has some close friends on the team and in the community. Would probably be a different story if he were a proven commodity.

Allin44
06-12-2010, 11:44 AM

Reading around the net on both NYI sites and UND. He may be a decent player but he isn't the 1/2 as good as JT that somebody said.

Joe Hallenback
06-14-2010, 07:45 AM
David is not a similar player to his brother. He is an extremely hard working cycling forward. He has a decent shot but is not as big or naturally gifted as Jonathan. He should never have went to UND his style of game is not suited for the NCAA and he would have really shined in the WHL. Now he has to come to here in order to earn an NHL contract. If he was here last year he would have put up some good numbers and already have that contract.