PDA

View Full Version : Rod Pedersen Done

EOK1
05-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Sadly this only promotes Pedersen's blog, but...

http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

This friends, is what I was referring to in this space one week ago. The nation's newest sports talk radio program is hosted by yours truly and debuts today from 4:00pm - 6:00 pm on 620 and will air Monday to Friday year-round.

---

First, some background. This show has been in the planning stages for months but due to some fairly drastic programming changes at Harvard Broadcasting, its debut has been moved up several weeks to today.

Firstly, popular CKRM announcer Perry Nyhus (who's been with us since 1984) vacated his drive-home time slot on Friday to move into the exciting world of radio sales at Harvard. That left a gaping hole in CKRM's late-afternoon programming.

The Sports Cage had several timeslots tossed around in the early stages. Initially it was slated for early-afternoon, and then late-morning. Less than two weeks ago however, it was cemented in for 4-6 pm.

This has provided some severe logistical problems for the host, as that has been school pick-up time for the past several years in our family. THAT, is being dealt with. Truthfully though, if I was a radio manager, I'd have to agree 4-6 pm is the best timeslot for this particular show, The Sports Cage.

Secondly, our traditional evening shows (Sportsline Mondays 6-7 pm and Coaches Show Wednesday 6-7pm) will be absorbed into the 4-6pm slot. And tonight, 620 CKRM will debut the nationally syndicated Casey Clarke Show which will air Monday to Friday from 6-11pm. CMT fans will know Casey Clarke as one of the popular hosts from that network.

---

For me, I have to admit I'm approaching this venture with much anxiety and trepidation. I've never been trained in sports talk show hosting and the idea of filling two hours a day is quite overwhelming.

However CKRM management (God bless them) have committed to providing me with a stable of co-hosts to make things interesting and lively while we figure things out as we go.

My buddies, co-workers and family say I'm psyching myself out but I can't get over the queasy feeling of starting such a new, mammoth project with so little training. Play-by-play has always come easy to me but right now, I'm quite nervous.

By the way this is not the culmination of a lifelong dream. I never planned on being a talk host. As a matter of fact my ultimate goal remains National Hockey League radio play-by-play. I still intend to reach that goal one day but for now my primary goal is raising these three kids to be well-adjusted human beings. The NHL will always be there but these three girls are only young once.

---

Today's program will be broadcast live from Capital Ford Lincoln and will bare quite a resemblance to Sportsline as I'll be joined by regular co-hosts Joe Hadesbeck and John Lynch.

Tomorrow though, things will get very interesting in the Cage as a new co-announcer will step inside. And we'll have a regular rotating bullpen of personalities on the show. What's different from our past sports shows however, is a commitment to many more new and insightful guests each day via the hotline.

My preference is to incorporate as many calls, listener emails and texts as possible. That will depend on YOU. I implore you to not be shy, and to pick up the phone and join the discussion as often as you like.

---

I'd like to dispel the notion that this is a move to improve sagging ratings on 620 CKRM, being an AM band, multi-purpose radio station. Below is a report from LAST spring's Regina radio ratings from an industry website which posted the numbers for the world to see:

Ratings Spring 09
WOLF 15.0
Z99 14.2
CKRM 13.9
LITE 92 10.0
CBC AM 9.4
JACK 9.2
CJME 8.6
BIG DAWG 8.5
CBC FM 2.2

The actual post can be viewed here: www.radiowest.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=5861 but as you can plainly see, our station is more than holding its own in the 12+ demographic (males and females aged 12 &
up).

---

I must say long-time friend Mitchell "Scruffy" Blair has been an invaluable resource and confidante throughout this process. He's provided incredible insight into show-hosting, countless show ideas and topics along with general support and encouragement.

This weekend he passed along the book Sports-Talk Radio in America; Its Context and Culture by J.M. Dempsey and read it over the course of two days. The most poignant quote I took with me from the book was this:

"Sports talk radio has always been a haven for the lunatic fringe, a low-rated medium for men dominated by trumped-up controversy manufactured daily. But it has also given inconsolable, and triumphant, fans a place to go."

THAT boys and girls, is what The Sports Cage will be all about.

---

And now, the other big news.

With the birth of this show comes the end of my tenure as Voice of the Regina Pats Hockey Club, and play-by-play man in the Western Hockey League. That treasured part of my career included 17 seasons and 1328 broadcasts for the Pats, Prince Albert Raiders and Lethbridge Hurricanes.

I feel the reasons behind this announcement are best left between the Pats and me. However suffice it to say that I was informed by the club some months ago that our current arrangement (of me calling both Roughriders and Pats games) "isn't working".

The team feels it may be best for their brand identity to have "their own" play-by-play man and although that opportunity was offered to me, it's not one I will be taking.

The split is amicable, and I feel I can provide lots of support for the club through this new sports talk show.

I'd like to take this time to thank the Regina Pats for all the great memories and opportunities they've afforded me.

---

I'd also like to mention that during my vacation I was approached by Rogers Sportsnet to join their team as a CFL reporter out of Saskatchewan for the 2010 season.

Details are still being ironed out but I shouldn't have tell you that I'm ECSTATIC at the opportunity this presents.

It will also open the door to use Sportsnet's personalities on The Sports Cage such as Kypreos, Loubardias, Madani, MacLean, "Showdown" Joe Ferraro and maybe even Buck Martinez.

I can't WAIT to start working for them.

---

Because of the rapid nature of The Sports Cage's inception, we haven't yet had the chance to approach potential advertisers but that won't take long.

My longtime personal sponsors such as the Press Box, Prairie Mobile Communications, PAI Medical Group and Titan Auto have jumped at the chance to be involved.

Your business can too. By the time of today's show launch, we'll have our website ready to go as well as a new personal email address to get ahold of me. If you'd like to advertise with us, get in touch with me.

---

Whew! That's a lot to get off one's chest. Please let me know your thoughts in the comments section and we'll talk to you this afternoon at 4:00!

lordstanley
05-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Been a great offseason for you Pats fans first knucklehead Parker steps down as GM and then no more Roddy doing his 1 sided play by play, rejoice Pats fans Rejoice

Wheat Kings #1
05-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Well said!

trucker
05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Its kinda too bad. Rod was a joke and I appreciated him in Regina just for that very fact. Now with Brent gone, and the team getting someone who actually may represent the team well, I could potentially start taking the Pats seriously and I don't like that. Its a good time in Pat land I guess, congrats.

patsdude114
05-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Been a great offseason for you Pats fans first knucklehead Parker steps down as GM and then no more Roddy doing his 1 sided play by play, rejoice Pats fans Rejoice

I hate Roddy as the Pats play by play guy for that exact reason, i also hate him as the rider play by play as well for the same reason....

He has a dream to be a NHL play by play guy for his homerism the best place for him to be would be somewhere in the sun belt where no 1 knows anything about hockey. Maybe his homerism would get more interest in the sun belt stats.

twentyone
05-25-2010, 09:46 AM
This team is turning the corner. What an offseason. I wanted to puke everytime I heard him call a Pats game. But then again it was like a car wreck in that I couldn't change stations cause I had to hear his bonehead statments. Now if we can only get him off the Rider broadcasts we would be in business.

Allin44
05-25-2010, 08:13 PM
A year too late on both accounts if you ask me. Not trading Eberle/Teubert is going to bite the franchise for years to come and is a mistake I hope Brandon does not repeat with Schenn/Glennie this year(or is it next.. ugh).

Was at the CHL awards on Saturday and snapped a picture of Parker accepting the award on behalf of Eberle. The whole time he was on stage, I couldn't stop staring at how wrinkled his suit is(and its not something I'd usually notice, it was THAT bad).

patsdude114
05-25-2010, 10:10 PM
I hope Brandon does not repeat with Schenn/Glennie this year(or is it next.. ugh).

& thats saying even if Brandon gets those 2 players back as well, LA did call up Schenn as a emergency player & could of easily used a player in the farm system. LA will be pushing the cap & may need to use a cheaper player ($ wise) but yet a effective player

As for Glennie u never know about Dallas after all they did keep Benn when they could of sent him back to junior or to the AHL. It would be even a bigger blow to a already depleted roster for next season for the WKs if Schenn & Glennie rnt back

Allin44
05-25-2010, 11:10 PM
& thats saying even if Brandon gets those 2 players back as well, LA did call up Schenn as a emergency player & could of easily used a player in the farm system. LA will be pushing the cap & may need to use a cheaper player ($ wise) but yet a effective player

As for Glennie u never know about Dallas after all they did keep Benn when they could of sent him back to junior or to the AHL. It would be even a bigger blow to a already depleted roster for next season for the WKs if Schenn & Glennie rnt back

It was a long weekend in the states and Schenn was closer and easier to get access to than anybody off their farm team. I think his skating is still a stride to slow. Glennie is currently the highest draftpick from last year that isn't signed, and I dont know that he will get a contract this summer.

As it relates to Schenn, I believe that with the CBAs current status, that all bonuses must be considered as if they are met in the current year, meaning even tho Schenn will only be making somewhere around 900M, his cap hit could be 3.5MM

lordstanley
05-26-2010, 12:09 AM
To me if Colton Gillies makes the Wild as a 19 year old then Schenn surely makes it next season oh well you guys will still be decent though

Wheat Kings #1
05-26-2010, 03:06 PM
To say that Schenn will be in the NHL because Colton Gillies was when he was 19 is ridiculous. Gillies should not have been their, and he will pay for it the rest of his minor league carear. I think Schenn will get a long look with the Kings, play a few games then come back to Brandon to work on his skating. Glennie will be back for the season opener.

lordstanley
05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Well he will be on a Kings team next season thats a 100 % sure lol

Wheat Kings #1
05-26-2010, 03:28 PM
That is true. lol. The bigger question is will he be a "King" at the end of the year? I'm sure if everything comes together here in Brd. he will, but KM is not related to BP! Brandon will dump them both at the deadline and start the chase for that damn cup 3-4 years down the road. Sorry Pat fans you will still be in the same boat you are now.