PDA

View Full Version : Saskatoon hosting 2013 Memorial Cup??

BladesFan_2010
05-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Why Toon Town Deserves to Host the Memorial Cup
Friday, 21 May 2010

A couple of days ago I was pleasantly surprised when Jack Brodsky said "yes" to my interview request when it came to the 2013 Memorial Cup. I've known for a while that the Saskatoon Blades would be interested in submitting a bid to host the Canadian Major Junior Hockey championship tournament...I believe it was ever since the decision was made by the team's president, governor and member of the family ownership group not to pursue the 2010 Memorial Cup so the province could bid on hosting the 2010 World Junior Hockey Championship!

At the time that decision was made, I felt this city was capable of holding both events within five months of each other...but, having witnessed the amount of toil and sweat needed to put on the World Juniors, I realized the correct choice was made!

I was made to feel better when it was whispered to me by Brodsky and others within the Blades' offices that a bid to host the 2013 Memorial Cup was likely. I've bounced the scenario off close acquaintances who questioned the idea on two major themes...

•1) How can the Blades look at this when another Eastern Conference team in Brandon is the last W-H-L host city...the event that is finshing up?

•2) How can the Blades be a host team when they haven't been further than the second round of the W-H-L playoffs since 1994, including the last two seasons when they've had their most competitive teams in that time?

To me, the answers and justifications to those questions are easy...especially when it comes to the first query!

The W-H-L has not picked its Memorial Cup hosts franchises on a "turn" basis when it comes to where the team is located. Just because Brandon is an Eastern Conference franchise doesn't mean a Western Conference team is a "lock" to be picked to host the 2013 Memorial Cup. In fact, since the Blades hosted the 1989 event, five of the seven W-H-L hosts have been from the Western Conference!

American-based franchises are almost certain to not host anymore. Even though the title sponsor, Mastercard, is not an exclusively Canadian business, that doesn't mean the American arm of the credit card company is willing to step up and pony up the approximately $750 thousand...which would leave a major hole for a U.S. Division club to make up!

And, while Brandon got to host this year's event...showing small market franchises that it is possible to bid for and host a Memorial Cup...the Canadian Hockey League is in the business of making money and their championship tournament is the biggest vehicle they have with which to pad their coffers. If the U.S. Division teams are ruled out, Vancouver just hosted in 2004 while Edmonton and Calgary can't commit their buildings just in case the Oilers and/or Flames are still alive in the N-H-L playoffs (don't laugh, who thought the Montreal Canadiens would still be going?!). That leaves the next biggest building in the W-H-L with which to host and generate the most potential revenue as being...drum roll, please...Credit Union Centre in Saskatoon!

As for the second question, the Best of the Eastern Conference poll done by Brandon Wheat Kings' play-by-play voice Bruce Luebke asked managers, coaches and players several questions...one of which was, "Which teams have the best player list?" While I'm not sure how much input the players could possibly have, the coaches and managers have a pretty good idea and the Blades were ranked second to Brandon!

Gazing into the crystal ball to the 2012-2013 season, one can already see the Bridge City Bunch with a possible 20-year-old group that includes Josh Nicholls and Charles Inglis at forward with Tyler Kizuik and Davis Vandane on defence. The 19-year-old core features Duncan Siemens, Dalton Thrower and Darren Dietz on defence with Brent Benson and Lukas Sutter up front and, possibly, Adam Iwan or Tyler Oswald in goal. The 18-year-olds might include Levi Bews and Ryan Olsen at forward with, possibly, Adam Todd in goal. All of those players, with the exception of the goaltenders, have seen playing time in Blue and Silver! The 17-year-olds would likely include recent first round Bantam draft choice Tim McGauley up front and second rounder Ayrton Nikkel on the blue-line. Throw in a few surprising "list" players and a trade or two and the Blades have the makings of being a force in 2013!

I'm not saying that Kelowna, who have expressed an interest in hosting the 2013 Memorial Cup, or Lethbridge, with a refurbished arena, or Moose Jaw, with a much-needed brand-new rink, shouldn't think about submitting a bid. But, I think it's Saskatoon's and the Blades' turn to welcome the best of the C-H-L in 2013!

That is from Les's blog from the Blades website. Your thoughts?

Toswammi
05-24-2010, 10:41 AM
I really cant see them sticking it in the same division for two straight (WHL hosted) years. 2016 would seem real plausible though.

trucker
05-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Will Saskatoon even have the Blades that far down the road? Maybe it'll be the AHL you'll be worrying about in the Saskatoon Moose and not the Winnipeg Blades. Who knows, but as long as phoenix keeps talking about moving the Winnepeg and Saskatoon media will keep talking. However Saskatoon has my vote to hold another Memorial Cup, the Broncos had good luck there!!!! Sorry for the reminder.

ointhecreek
05-24-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm betting on Lethbridge.

lordstanley
05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Im betting on Saskatoon

gervais25
05-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Blades are saskatoon< Thae only way the Blades will leave the city is if the WHL folds and we know how likley that is..... cant see us getting the HOST memorial cup in 2013??? i cant see the WHL and CHL placing the host in the same conference and same division..... mabey in 2016 , i would love to see the best city in Canada host the greatest tourny in the world

twentyone
05-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Same conference or division doesn't mean anything. Kelowna hosted in 2004 then Vancouver did in 2007. Same conference and Division. Not too mention Guelph hosted in 2002, London 2005 and Kitchener 2008 all 3 teams in the same division.

I think the Blades will be competitive in 2013 and can't see why they cant do it. I am worried however how our terrible fan base will support an event like this. Imagine if Saskatoon was in Brandons position this year and our fans witnessed a 9-1 loss in the final at home. You can bet alot of fans wouldn't attend another Blades game in thier life.

wango tango
06-02-2010, 01:49 PM
interest so far from saskatoon, kelowna, and lethbridge.

should be between saskatoon and lethbridge. the sentimental favourite will be lethbridge with saskatoon ultimately winning.

why? money.

if everything is equal between saskatoon and lethbridge as hosts, the blades should win.

have to agree with twentyone same conference or division doesn't mean anything anymore since kelowna and vancouver were back to back whl hosts before brandon.

BladesFan_2010
06-14-2010, 12:53 AM
I think the Blades have a very good chance at the hosting of the 2013 Memorial Cup.

Are you forgetting that Lorne and his coaching staff are all signed through to 2013? I could see the Blades hosting it, it would be Lorne's last year coaching (probably) with Struch taking over the head coach role and Lorne moving upstairs to be the GM? It would create a lot of buzz in this city, the fan support would be there for that year no doubt. But it also creates a lot of pressure!