PDA

View Full Version : Great season one win short!!(Standing O for the team)

Wheatie Pete
05-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Well we were one win away, only to get slammed back to earth. I think 5-10 years down the road we will see the Spitfires were the greatest CHL team of all time. There were no real weak spots to penetrate. Hats off to them. If Martin Jones was our goalie it might have been another story.

Matt Calvert will be missed, not many players that have worn the black and gold have emotionally, spiritually and physically carried a team and community like he has. You will be missed Matty.:clap:

Fehr and Lew were also great leaders of this team and much of what they brought to this team will be felt next year. Grit and scoring. :(

Break out the chalk board and lets get going for next year. We will have a solid nucleus for next season. Might not be quit as successful as this year, but my no means in the basement.

Arrogant jerk it was big of you to make a positive comment about the Wheats, lets renew the true rivalry of the east next year.

Big applause for all of the true Wheats fans on a year well cheered!!!:clap::clap::clap::)

Allin44
05-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Well we were one win away, only to get slammed back to earth. I think 5-10 years down the road we will see the Spitfires were the greatest CHL team of all time. There were no real weak spots to penetrate. Hats off to them. If Martin Jones was our goalie it might have been another story.

Matt Calvert will be missed, not many players that have worn the black and gold have emotionally, spiritually and physically carried a team and community like he has. You will be missed Matty.:clap:

Fehr and Lew were also great leaders of this team and much of what they brought to this team will be felt next year. Grit and scoring. :(

Break out the chalk board and lets get going for next year. We will have a solid nucleus for next season. Might not be quit as successful as this year, but my no means in the basement.

Arrogant jerk it was big of you to make a positive comment about the Wheats, lets renew the true rivalry of the east next year.

Big applause for all of the true Wheats fans on a year well cheered!!!:clap::clap::clap::)

If Schenn returns(and I think he will), we'll have a pretty solid first line again(Glennie-Schenn-Stone)

Where we are going to hurt the most is defense.
Gone for sure: Robak, Hammer, Urbom
Do you keep either of Schneider or Bestland as 20s?

Liston is the future in goal, I wouldn't be suprised to see Hayes stick around, albeit as a 20 year old backup.

Brandon would be wise if we are anywhere below the 4 seed in the east to ship off Schenn/Glennie at the deadline and not make the same mistake Regina made.

I predict Chad Lang and Hardy Sauter are both in the WC next year.

WHEATMAN
05-24-2010, 02:03 PM
I'll be praying that Sauter and Lang don't land here. Chiefs fans have nothing good to say about him, and Lang...wasn't he hired to be GM straight out of a job in marketing? He never impressed me in MJ. I wouldn't feel good with either of them around. Kelly should just step back and be GM and hand the coaching reins to Chewy.

Not sure what is gonna happen with the OA situation but I wouldn't bank on De Serres, Hayes, or (especially) Hale returning. trade them for whatever we can get and bring in a 18/19 year old goalie with some Dub experience to push Liston. The OA situation could further be complicated if Toews does report (would he not be a 20?).

Hopefully we can get a decent defenceman in the Euro draft because like you said, thats where we will be hurting next year. I am hearing great things about Roy, but then again Cann was highly touted too. Hopefully the kid is as good as advertised.

All in all, I think we will have a decent team next year...

Allin44
05-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I'll be praying that Sauter and Lang don't land here. Chiefs fans have nothing good to say about him, and Lang...wasn't he hired to be GM straight out of a job in marketing? He never impressed me in MJ. I wouldn't feel good with either of them around. Kelly should just step back and be GM and hand the coaching reins to Chewy.

Not sure what is gonna happen with the OA situation but I wouldn't bank on De Serres, Hayes, or (especially) Hale returning. trade them for whatever we can get and bring in a 18/19 year old goalie with some Dub experience to push Liston. The OA situation could further be complicated if Toews does report (would he not be a 20?).

Hopefully we can get a decent defenceman in the Euro draft because like you said, thats where we will be hurting next year. I am hearing great things about Roy, but then again Cann was highly touted too. Hopefully the kid is as good as advertised.

All in all, I think we will have a decent team next year...

Yep, Toews would be a 20, but would be a welcome addition as we are losing..

Raedeke, Wiebe, Fehr, Lewy, Rajala.

WHEATMAN
05-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Yep, Toews would be a 20, but would be a welcome addition as we are losing..

Raedeke, Wiebe, Fehr, Lewy, Rajala.

I am pretty sure Wiebe is a 19 and is eligible to come back next year. That begs the question, Do you go with Toews and Wiebe up front and keep Bestland on the backend? Or do you trade one of the two and keep Schneider as well?

And while Raedeke is probably gone I wouldn't consider it 100% I remember how much of a shock it was when Monych and Konsorada were returned, and the year before Christensen was returned to Kamloops after tearing the league up.

Allin44
05-24-2010, 02:42 PM
I am pretty sure Wiebe is a 19 and is eligible to come back next year. That begs the question, Do you go with Toews and Wiebe up front and keep Bestland on the backend? Or do you trade one of the two and keep Schneider as well?

And while Raedeke is probably gone I wouldn't consider it 100% I remember how much of a shock it was when Monych and Konsorada were returned, and the year before Christensen was returned to Kamloops after tearing the league up.

Monych and Konsorada were returned because the NHL was on strike and there was no room in the AHL for them.

And Wiebe is 20 right now

WHEATMAN
05-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Monych and Konsorada were returned because the NHL was on strike and there was no room in the AHL for them.

And Wiebe is 20 right now

Yeah, he may be 20, but he just finished his 19 year old season and still has 1 year of junior eligibility left.

Brandonite
05-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Rajala will only be 19 next year, he'll be back in Brandon. Like someone else said, the weakest part to this team will be the back end. Gone for sure are Robak (Florida), Hamonic (NYI), Urbom (NewJersey). That leaves just Miller, Melnychuk, Bestland and/or Schneider. Hayes has got to go please!!!!!!

lordstanley
05-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Rajala is going back to Finland and is serving a year in there millitary and the LA Kings may sign Schenn and put him to the wing as there loaded at the center position if they sign him to a 6 hundred thousand dollar deal there not gonna have him playing in the minors

Allin44
05-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah, he may be 20, but he just finished his 19 year old season and still has 1 year of junior eligibility left.

Sorry, read that as, Wiebe will be a 19 next year and Im not sure why I included him in that list.

Wheat Kings #1
05-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Next year will depend on a few things. If Schenn comes back, which I beleive he will after his 9 games in L.A. and Rajala comes back, and that will depend on his 1 year milatery commitment, that has to be done before he is 28, and you have to think he may want to get that over with and then head to Edm as a 20 yr old. If they come back you may start thinking a high finish in the standings. Then you probably keep a 20 yr. old goalie to share time with Liston. Not sure Jake will be sighned by the Flyers. Would keep him over Hayes if you go this route. Wiebe and or Radeake up front as a 20 yr old. Now the big problem,Defense! Will need a Euro for sure. A couple of Rookies,Roy and Fransoo,maybe Hunter. Can't fathom Schneider as a 20 yr old. Maybe Bestland but if you are looking to win you will need a better one.
Also will need one more "good" d-man to be a leader back their.
And if you are sitting on the edge you do what Regina should have done and dump them all and start to build for 3-4 yrs. down the road. Schenn Glennie etc. would bring in a ton of picks. Try to win that damn cup another year.

booboo
05-24-2010, 03:36 PM
20's----Wiebe, Bestland, and ????--but definitely not Schneider, Hale, or Hayes. Up front--Weibe, Stone, Rajala, Glennie, Schenn(cannot see him being a 4th liner or healthy scratch with L.A. Kings--too good of a team), Walker, Ferland(watch this guy go),Synatynski, and Ciarelli. Not a bad start. Defence--Melnychuck,Miller, Bestland, Fransoo, Roy, Euro,Euro or trade. We need to firm up goaltending--Liston start--need backup. May need help on defence as well. There may be some prospects on their list that I am unaware of that may help out next year. Looks like 10 or more new faces in the lineup--time to move on. We really need a coach as well. Any thoughts on Wheats lineup next year?:clap:

WHEATMAN
05-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Gone for sure: Fehr, Lewy, Calvert, Hamonic, Urbom, and Robak
Probably gone: Rajala, Raedeke (chance of Schenn being gone too)

Given those departures the BWK's are left with Wiebe, Hale, Hayes, De Serres, Bestland, and Schneider as 20 year olds. Given the way Wiebe has played since Kelly acquired him I would say he is a lock as a OA. On defence you can probably say the same thing about Bestland. While he may not be elite like Hamonic or Robak he is pretty dependable and we can expect the same from him next year. Should the rumours of Toews reporting be true I think we can pencil him in as an OA, otherwise Kelly should keep Schneider and depending on his play, possible trade him for someone with more sandpaper (I still think Schneider is incredibly soft).

Hale is a plug, and according to the rumours, not a good teammate...he's not coming back.

I doubt Philly will sign De Serres and Hayes isn't going pro, so Kelly needs to find out what to do with them. Frankly, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in either, nor would I be willing to keep one of them over Bestland, Wiebe, or even Schneider. Liston is obviously the future in goal and is already getting invited to Hockey Canada camps so I can see it being his job to lose. Trade Hayes and De Serres for anything you can get (hopefully an 18 YO goalie with nominal dub experience who will come cheap) and let Liston compete with him, kinda like how Plante competed with Nichol until he eventually took on the #1 job in the latter part of the season.

Up front that leaves...

Stone Schenn(C) Glennie
Walker Wiebe(A) Ferland
Euro? Ciarelli Sinatynski
? ? ?

Thats a brilliant 1st line and a decent 2nd line. After the top 2 lines though, there will be a lot of reliance on rookies. I would hope that we could bring in a two-way Euro who we can slot in on the third line (but thats easier said than done now that it isn't a Memorial Cup year). I'm not overly familiar with how the prospects did in Midget, but I imagine Dakota Conroy, Jason Swyripa, Tyrel Seaman, Austin Lewis, and even Wheaton King will all be vying for a spot on the 3rd/4th line.

On defence...

Melnychuk(A) Bestland(A)
Miller Schneider
Fransoo Roy
Elmes Hunter

That looks pretty patchy...definitely the weak spot. Again, maybe Kelly can try and draft a Euro to bring it up to snuff because it will certainly be an area teams will try and exploit. Now that I think about it, I would probably want a Euro defenceman over a Euro winger...defence, as is, will be a problem.

In Goal...

Liston
?

Pretty easy here, Liston is an elite prospect and Hayes and De Serres have been given their shot and didn't deliver. No point keeping either of them around anymore. It's time to move on. Whether the team can perform next year may hinge on whether Liston can play as advertised.

Hopefully its another year of reloading, not rebuilding :)

BSB
05-24-2010, 07:17 PM
I hope that Toews does end up coming to Brandon, because there is always a chance that one or more of the guys you have pencilled into your lineup may not be coming back (these guys may get to their overage season and decide their hockey career isn't going anywhere and they might as well start their University schooling instead of playing their overage season). This has even more potential if they already have four or more years of schooling paid for, which is likely the case for a couple of them, as I believe some teams have been generous over the years of offering guys an extra year of schooling in order to sign.

Hopefully after having time to reflect on the season, they all do decide to come back for one more year though, especially if Toews doesn't come our way.

Wheatie Pete
05-24-2010, 10:57 PM
For starters I know for a fact Schneider will not be back next year, if it wasn't for the Mem cup he wouldn't have been here this year(our loss). He wants to go to University next year. Anyway why waste a spot on him as an overager?

Rajala has a good chance of coming back, I read an article with the head of scouting for the Oilers and he said he liked the improvement Canadian Junior hockey did for Toni's game. If he didn't make the big club he would like to see him back in Brandon.

Raedke is a question mark. The Wings have a habit of letting their prospects mature quite a bit before jumping to the pros or AHL. So I would say 50/50 he comes back.

Guarantee Hale will not be back as he is a cancer in the locker room and have some off ice issues, Kelly isn't impressed with.

De Serres won't be back on the team, even if he gets sent back by Philly. No one has confidence in him and you just want a serviceable 18-19 year old to toe the line as Liston progresses. Why waste a 20 year old spot on the past when Liston is the bright future.

Schenn may come back. Really needs to improve his skating. 60-40 chance of coming back.

Glennie will be back, but for how long is the question. I guarantee he will be traded by the trade deadline. Too much baggage and locker room cancer.

If Raedke comes back and Toews reports either one is great trade bait,my guess it would be Toews as he has no history with the team.

Those being the biggest question marks the roster will look like this.

Forwards
Glennie-Schenn-Stone
Weibe-Toews/Raedke-Rajala
Ferland-Ciarelli-Walker
Sinitynski-Swyripa-Dakota Conroy

Defense
Bestland-Melynchuk
Fransoo-Krzyaniak
Roy-Euro/traded player

Goalies
Liston-Trade or 18-19 yr old backup for someone else

Joe Hallenback
05-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Tough way to end the season. Its funny I was watching the game with my dad and he looked over at me after about 4 minutes and said "if the Wheat Kings do not score first they will lose this game". I had to concur that he was right on the money and sure enough Windsor started to push back and that was pretty much it.

I was glad we made it to the finals though, it was just too bad we may have had to play against one of the greatest Junior teams of all time. In my mind Windsor is as good as those Kamloops teams and they could very well be back here for a third time next year. The OHL was plain stupid not awarding Windsor the Host team as it would have been a Public relations dream.

Yes Goaltending was the achilles heel. I feel bad for DeSerres and Hayes. But neither could step up when we needed them to and steal us a game. I know we all belabored this fact all year long but really the Only guys I wanted are pretty much untradeable in Jones and Pickard. The next 2 best were Kuemper from Red Deer. I talked to a scout at the Brandon/Moncton game that said Brandon had put in offer for Kuemper + Archer for Depape, Swyripa and Fransoo. But Red Deer was looking to rebuild they think they can win next season. He also mentioned that before the Hamonic deal Eberle/Tuebert should and would have been on their way to Brandon for Picks + Prospects + Glennie but the Regina GM nixed the deal at the last moment. I wonder what are lineup would have been like with Kuemper,Archer,Teubert and Eberle in it. But that is the general failing the WHL has to the OHL/QMJHL teams do not like to load up other teams and I think it is a big issue and will be in the future.

Now as for next season. Talking with a few people has lead me to believe a few things.

1. Glennie might very well be traded before next season starts. I am not sure what his off ice issues are but they seem to be getting in the way of what should be a very talented and important part of the team. It would not shock me to see him traded out west to Tri-City/Portland. Both those teams will be thinking they can make a run and Glennie SHOULD help them both.

2. Schenn. If the above happens I would suspect that Schenn will get traded at some point as well. I can see him heading back home to Saskatoon to help them make a run at the Championship. Both Trades would help us net some really good 16/17 year olds,prospects and draft picks.

3. Wiebe,Bestland and Toews will be our 20 year olds. It sure seems like Toews will be coming here.

4. Walker,Ferland,Sinatynski and Ciarelli will all double there point totals next season. Again the scout I talked to was very pleased at how good Walker and Ferland looked.

5. Liam Liston will be the real deal. You don't get invited to Team Canada without a good reason. He is the ONLY goalie from the west invited to the u18's. He was by all accounts the best midget goalie in Alberta and won the Best Goalie award.

6. We have some really good prospects on the way.

Jason Swrypia - Great year in Midget. Was one of the last cuts this year and was devasted to go back. Kudos to him though as he played great. Was named Tournament MVP of the Mac's Midget hockey Tournament. He is alot like Fehr/Lewadniuk in style.

Jens Meuiller - Played Junior A in WayWay this season. Put up good numbers for a 16 year old similar to Walkers year in Portage. Good size and a good skater. Step in and fill a bottom 6 role next season. Played at the u17's this year for team west

Austin Lewis - Little dynamo of a player. Local kid and I wonder if he could be the next "Matt Calvert". Be an interesting summer if he can add some height and strength. Played for team West at the u17s.

Eric Roy - Think Mike Green. Fantastic skater and can really dangle, it is just too bad he plays defense :) Good size at 6'2 already he will be a nice replacement for Robak and future 1st round pick.

Dylan Kuczek - Here is a kid that got messed around with by the Winnipeg Thrashers for most of the year. He should have been playing AAA midget instead they cut him and said him back to Bantam AAA. The deal is he is a big mean kid who loves to hit,scrap and is not bad with the puck. He is alot like Miller but probably better with the puck. If he can come to camp strong he has a shot at sticking. Played for Team Manitoba at the u16s this year

Dakota Conroy - Oh boy did we get a steal here. He was ranked to go in the first and fell all the way to the third and into our laps. Why? Well he was small but he grew and he is probably around 6'2 and he can skate and loves to score. I can see this guy scoring alot of goals for us in a year or 2.

Tyrel Seaman - Very good midget season for the Mintos. Tyrel really looked good in the playoffs when I saw him play. He is a tall lanky kid already and is really smooth and a good skater. I really think there is a spot for him this year on this team.

Brendan Harms - Speed demon winger had a great season in Midget AAA. He is small too but plays like Matt Calvert as well. If he can grow an inch or two and add some weight he could surprise people at camp. Played for Team Manitoba at the u16's this year.

Allin44
05-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Joe, rumor has it you are buying the WKs? :P

Here is my take on next year

20's
Bestland, Toews, Wiebe

DeSerres plays somewhere in the Philly system
Hayes gets shipped off
Raedeke plays pro
Robak/Hamonic turn pro
Hale/Schneider - traded or released(likely released)
Urbom - Goes Pro
Rajala - Serves his 6 months in the army joins the Oilers AHL team after Christmas.

Returning Forwards
Glennie - Schenn - Toews
Ferland - Walker - Stone
? - Wiebe - ?
****ed after this

Dmen

Melnychuk - Bestland(yikes)
Miller - Fransoo
Euro - Rookie

Goalie
Liston
Euro

At the deadline Brandon trades Schenn/Glennie.

I'd assume each could garner something like a
17 yr old Forward
2 Firsts
Prospect

With that kind of return the WKs could very well be a contender the next two years with a core of Stone, Walker, Ferland, Miller and whatever prospects and proven players they get in return.

Allin44
05-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Also, this really stuck with me.. I was at training camp and Kelly was talking with Chewy(I think it was Chewy, maybe it was Ritchie but I digress)

KM: "Just had a chat with Ferland"
DG: "what did he have to say"
KM: "that he really wanted to be a Brandon Wheat King this year"

Kid went out there and proved it

Joe Hallenback
05-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Mike Green played liked he does in the NHL. More as a rover and not as a straight D man. In fact I think he was worse in the WHL if I remember correctly. Not that that was a bad thing just different. I think Roy is similar and it probably has to do with not playing any real organized hockey till he was 14.

I thought his foot speed was very good for a 15 year old. I find kids that age that are growing still have a time were they need to adjust and for me at least it wasn't that much of an issue. I think he really came on strong in the playoffs and by all accounts only Morgan Reilly was better offensively(and I am talking about 15 year olds in AAA midget Sask last year)

He is not as refined as some prospects but that raw talent is there. Be interesting to see him in camp next year.

Jimbo24
05-26-2010, 09:46 PM
After watching Schenn play this past week he will be back next year. In the biggest tournament of his life so far he showed up to play in one game. That is not good enough to make the show. Plus LA is too deep for him to make it.

Trevor
05-30-2010, 03:15 PM
1. Glennie might very well be traded before next season starts. I am not sure what his off ice issues are but they seem to be getting in the way of what should be a very talented and important part of the team. It would not shock me to see him traded out west to Tri-City/Portland. Both those teams will be thinking they can make a run and Glennie SHOULD help them both.

Tri-Cities could be likely. They have the second most Manitobans behind the Wheaties, and everyone knows KM likes local guys.

Raider Believer
05-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Tri-Cities could be likely. They have the second most Manitobans behind the Wheaties, and everyone knows KM likes local guys.

Portland is still too young for a serious run at anything yet.

The bigger question is: how and with what is B WheatKings going to compete with next year and in the next several years. Basically KM gave away the farm to chase the Memorial Cup this year. Great kids like Klarc Wilson now belong to Edmonton and Moose Jaw is still laughing at the gifts you gave them. Everyone knows the KM 'my way or the highway' philosophy and don't want to play for him, agents hate him. I predict a long time in the wilderness for Brandon. The only ray of hope is their second rounder in 2008, Jason Swyripa ... and he's about 5'6", very talented but not exactly scary. PA will be happy to occupy your playoff spot! LOL

dagley
05-30-2010, 05:57 PM

The bigger question is: how and with what is B WheatKings going to compete with next year and in the next several years. Basically KM gave away the farm to chase the Memorial Cup this year. Great kids like Klarc Wilson now belong to Edmonton and Moose Jaw is still laughing at the gifts you gave them. Everyone knows the KM 'my way or the highway' philosophy and don't want to play for him, agents hate him. I predict a long time in the wilderness for Brandon. The only ray of hope is their second rounder in 2008, Jason Swyripa ... and he's about 5'6", very talented but not exactly scary. PA will be happy to occupy your playoff spot! LOL

Yeah, because our team is so known for missing the playoffs and being bottom feeders. We never really gave up a lot, Wilson isn't going to turn into anything good, Erhnardt will be a 5/6 guy, and the draft picks were worth Hamonic. We didn't "sell the farm"

Raider Believer
05-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Yeah, because our team is so known for missing the playoffs and being bottom feeders. We never really gave up a lot, Wilson isn't going to turn into anything good, Erhnardt will be a 5/6 guy, and the draft picks were worth Hamonic. We didn't "sell the farm"

Wilson will be a stud for Edmonton. If he was going to be nothing then why did Brandon draft him in the first round?
And trading draft picks always ends up biting you in the ass long term.

lordstanley
05-30-2010, 08:02 PM
I agree Wilson is gonna be great

Trevor
05-30-2010, 09:01 PM

KM came nowhere near close to "giving the farm away" for the Memorial Cup run. How bout a blue chip prospect in goal, the best centre in the league, and two top lines that any team would want. If Glennie and or Schenn aren't traded this season (Glennie will be IMO) the Wheaties will be top 4 in the East. I see Glennie going west, for a steady 18 or 19 year old dman, solid prospect, and an early rounds pick.

A better question is, what will the Raiders compete with next year??

lordstanley
05-30-2010, 10:07 PM
As much as i hate P.A they have 1 thing us and you guys don't have and thats a mem cup

Scruffy
05-30-2010, 10:19 PM

You shouldn't start smoking that stuff so early in the day there Raider Believer.
It seems to be bringing on flashbacks of past glory. Maybe you could trade Kelly lists straight up? Yours was so attractive last winter when nobody wanted anything off it and Bruno had to trade for those 13th round picks and use trades to trade again.

Allin44
05-30-2010, 10:29 PM

As I mentioned elsewhere in this forum, Brandon will wind up trading Glennie this year, and probably getting their firsts back plus prospects. Schenn will command a kings ransom if he comes back, and same thing, firsts + prospects.

Our firsts were more like 2nds anyways. I'm not very high on Wilson, didn't get a good enough glimpse of Ehrhardt, but I do think the Depape trade will hurt.

But hey, Brandon has always drated well late, aside from Schenn the first rounders have been **** so it doesn't really matter whether we have it or not. People in the hockey circles have voted Brandon as having the best prospect list, so while I am sure we will be in a battle for the 8 seed next year, it will give a lot of our 16 and 17 year olds a good chance to break into the league.

Raider Believer
05-31-2010, 12:05 AM
As I mentioned elsewhere in this forum, Brandon will wind up trading Glennie this year, and probably getting their firsts back plus prospects. Schenn will command a kings ransom if he comes back, and same thing, firsts + prospects.

Our firsts were more like 2nds anyways. I'm not very high on Wilson, didn't get a good enough glimpse of Ehrhardt, but I do think the Depape trade will hurt.

But hey, Brandon has always drated well late, aside from Schenn the first rounders have been **** so it doesn't really matter whether we have it or not. People in the hockey circles have voted Brandon as having the best prospect list, so while I am sure we will be in a battle for the 8 seed next year, it will give a lot of our 16 and 17 year olds a good chance to break into the league.

What vote and what hockey people? Some whacked parents from the Scouting News?? Laughable.
And probably half that list won't even report with KM being such a warm and fuzzy guy.

Brandonite
05-31-2010, 06:09 AM
I agree Wilson is gonna be great

I don't care how good he MIGHT turn out to be...right now he has an attitude and an ego his shoulders cant handle!! Plus everytime he goes into the corners he falls down. And to answer your question "why did Brandon draft him in the 1st round then"? Thats the biggest problem with drafting kids at sucha young age, its a pure crap-shoot! Look at Sanfred King, Jeff Topilko, Mike Cann...all first round BUSTS! Its soooo hard to judge a kid how hes going to play against young men when hes only 14. Thats why I love the OHL rule better by waiting until they are 15 until drafting them. If that were the case in the WHL, guys like Wilson would NOT be a 1st rounder. Hes going to be a power forward but not Brent Raedake good!

Rebelsfan13
05-31-2010, 07:59 AM
As much as i hate P.A they have 1 thing us and you guys don't have and thats a mem cup

Even the Leafs have won a cup during Brandon's tenure in the league.

Dwight Schrute
05-31-2010, 11:17 AM
Even the Leafs have won a cup during Brandon's tenure in the league.

:clap::clap::clap:

LOL made my morning

if nobody would pay a "kings ransom" for eberle then im sure its more likely schenn wont get traded.

is there a list of who all was aquired and who was traded for this run ?
in
wiebe
raedeke
hamonic

out
wilson (1st in 08)
depape (2nd in 07)
erhardt (?)
1st 2010 (?)

Wheatie Pete
05-31-2010, 11:22 AM

I`m not so concerned about any of the above, other than maybe Clark. He looked like the second coming of Ryan Reeves. Not as good a skater and no where near the physical player, but has a bit better hands.

Ehrhardt will end up being a 4th or 5th defensive d-man , a good line up filler.

Depape was getting traded regardless if it was for Weibe or anyone else. He was a bad locker room guy and had a huge ego he couldn`t play up to. Not many players on the team liked him including his roommate who asked to be moved to another billet because of his attitude. Weibe by far was the best pick up for all of the opposite reasons of Depape.

Draft picks, meh. The bantam draft is a crap shoot at best. The wheats always excel with the late round picks. Only 50% of any WHL teams 1st rounders pan out to more than a journeyman player.

As for the raiders fans jumping all over the Wheat King fans look at the record over the last 18 years wheats make the playoffs17 of 18 years , PA 9 of 18 and most are one and done.

Try to belittle the Black and Gold all you want. Who`s the team usually ending your season, US!! :D

Hope you have another uneventful season of losing or just squeaking in as the 8th seed only to lose in 4.

Trevor
05-31-2010, 11:26 AM
What vote and what hockey people? Some whacked parents from the Scouting News?? Laughable.
And probably half that list won't even report with KM being such a warm and fuzzy guy.

Here's a link from Rod Pedersen's blog, I couldn't find it on Luber's Lounge. It's a poll of Eastern Conference GMs, coaches, and players. NOT some whacked parents from the Scouting News.

http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/2010/02/whls-best-of-east-poll.html

Trevor
05-31-2010, 11:34 AM
in
wiebe
raedeke
hamonic

out
wilson (1st in 08)
depape (2nd in 07)
erhardt (?)
1st 2010 (?)
The Wheat King trades went like this:

DeSerres -Rouse
Wiebe - DePape
Raedeke - Wilson & a conditional 3rd round pick (on him being returned as a 20 y/o)
Hamonic - Erdhardt, 1st & 2nd round 2010 picks, 2nd round 2011 pick

Allin44
05-31-2010, 12:12 PM

LOL made my morning

if nobody would pay a "kings ransom" for eberle then im sure its more likely schenn wont get traded.

in
wiebe
raedeke
hamonic

out
wilson (1st in 08)
depape (2nd in 07)
erhardt (?)
1st 2010 (?)

If Brandon could get a similar return for Schenn as the rumored package that Brandon was willing to give up for Eberle would more than make up for the package they gave up for Hamonic.

Wheat Kings #1
05-31-2010, 12:37 PM
As Wheatie Pete stated Brandon has been in the play-offs 17 out of the last 18 years. This is all with KM as the G.M. They also have more wins in this time frame than ANY other team in all 3 leagues in the CHL! Fairly impressive?
Yes Raider Retard, I'm sure all the kids would rather head up to P.A. and have a 50% chance of even making the play-offs. Then traded anyway when they change the G.M. or coach. Give your head a shake! Did KM burn you in a deal too? LOL.

Rebelsfan13
05-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Nothing better than being there to see your team win the Memorial Cup! Thanks Regina.

Wheat Kings #1
05-31-2010, 03:24 PM
What year was that mem cup you won Raider fan? Hmmm 25 years ago. Glad you can still remember something good happening up their with that team. The funny part is Brandon doing "O.K." for a couple of years, will still be better than what the Raiders will do. You better hope "Brunno" starts to turn that team around or you will be back in the SJHL within 5 years.

EOK1
05-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Aren't these the same Raider fans that cry when someone posts something negative on their board. Don't they also suggest people "go back to their own board" when they have nothing good to say. Hypocritical I must say.

There's obviously something wrong when Raider fans are more concerned with what Brandon is doing. Haters gonna hate. Everyone hates the Yankees because they are good, same thing happening here.

Raider Believer
05-31-2010, 06:19 PM
Aren't these the same Raider fans that cry when someone posts something negative on their board. Don't they also suggest people "go back to their own board" when they have nothing good to say. Hypocritical I must say.

There's obviously something wrong when Raider fans are more concerned with what Brandon is doing. Haters gonna hate. Everyone hates the Yankees because they are good, same thing happening here.

Brandon ain't the Yankees. The Yankees win championships.

Raider Believer
05-31-2010, 06:20 PM
As Wheatie Pete stated Brandon has been in the play-offs 17 out of the last 18 years. This is all with KM as the G.M. They also have more wins in this time frame than ANY other team in all 3 leagues in the CHL! Fairly impressive?
Yes Raider Retard, I'm sure all the kids would rather head up to P.A. and have a 50% chance of even making the play-offs. Then traded anyway when they change the G.M. or coach. Give your head a shake! Did KM burn you in a deal too? LOL.

Just so you Brandon folks don't take too many liberties with your math. Not counting 1982/83 when the Raiders entered the league, they have missed the playoffs exactly 10 times. During the same time period the Wheat Kings have missed the playoffs 9 times. During the same time period the Raiders won the Memorial Cup once. The Wheat Kings have never won it. Sad. So who's the retard now?

sbtatter
05-31-2010, 07:23 PM
. So who's the retard now?

fortunately, that would still be you!

Dwight Schrute
05-31-2010, 07:51 PM
As for the raiders fans jumping all over the Wheat King fans look at the record over the last 18 years wheats make the playoffs17 of 18 years , PA 9 of 18 and most are one and done.

Try to belittle the Black and Gold all you want. Who`s the team usually ending your season, US!! :D

Hope you have another uneventful season of losing or just squeaking in as the 8th seed only to lose in 4.

try not to paint us all with the same brush.

Wheat Kings #1
06-01-2010, 02:47 AM
O.K. now your going back 27 years. Next you'll be telling us stories about your Centenial cup wins. Some of wern't even born that long ago. So let's go back 7 years. I went back this far as you only made the play-offs once in the last 5 years.
03-04, Brandon defeats P.A. First round 4-2
04-05, Brandon defeats P.A. Conferance final 4-3
05-06, P.A. not in playoffs
06-07, Brandon defeats P.A. First round 4-1
07-08, P.A. not in playoffs
08-09, P.A. not in playoffs
09-10, P.A. not in playoffs
Hmmmm, maybe now we can see why you are so bitter towards Brandon and KM. And you actually pay MORE than us to watch them play. I'll keep lining KM's pocket with my $325 season ticket so that I can keep watching playoff hockey.

Brandonite
06-01-2010, 04:49 AM
Prince Albert has been brutal for the past 5-6 years...PERIOD!!! The P.A. fans wanna lip the Wheat Kings about success?? I could personally care less about something so stupid but wow...really? Prince Albert?? Maybe if it was Red Deer they could atleast throw some recent success in Brandon's face! I can't remember the last time P.A. was a solid team besides the Steve Kelly era. A couple years ago P.A. had a good season led by several former Wheat Kings...only to bow out to Brandon in the 1st round. Stay on your own boards P.A. fans...your really embaressing yourself and making your team look even worse.

Joe Hallenback
06-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Some Jealous people in this thread

dagley
06-01-2010, 10:27 AM
only reason we never torched PA this year, all the time...was Zemlak.

GlutenGlutton
06-01-2010, 10:46 AM
O.K. now your going back 27 years. Next you'll be telling us stories about your Centenial cup wins. Some of wern't even born that long ago. So let's go back 7 years. I went back this far as you only made the play-offs once in the last 5 years.
03-04, Brandon defeats P.A. First round 4-2
04-05, Brandon defeats P.A. Conferance final 4-3
05-06, P.A. not in playoffs
06-07, Brandon defeats P.A. First round 4-1
07-08, P.A. not in playoffs
08-09, P.A. not in playoffs
09-10, P.A. not in playoffs
Hmmmm, maybe now we can see why you are so bitter towards Brandon and KM. And you actually pay MORE than us to watch them play. I'll keep lining KM's pocket with my $325 season ticket so that I can keep watching playoff hockey.

Game. Set. Match.
Fact is that the PA franchise has been a bit of a laughingstock over the last 15 years and that most who follow the team don't know what it's like to be in a league final, let alone a Memorial Cup. Really do hope it gets better for them and for their REAL fans, the kind of bitterness we're seeing in this thread is pretty sad.

lordstanley
06-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah i agree but you can't tell me that most of you arent bitter getting into the Mem cup final and getting torched so close but yet so far away bitterness is a 2 way street guys

Dwight Schrute
06-01-2010, 12:00 PM
maybe you should have traded for him instead of gooning him.
i doubt a 9-1 loss at home im the memorial cup (worst in history) after taking the backdoor to get there is much to be proud of. but hey i guess you could raise a banner up over it

EOK1
06-01-2010, 12:12 PM
maybe you should have traded for him instead of gooning him.
i doubt a 9-1 loss at home im the memorial cup (worst in history) after taking the backdoor to get there is much to be proud of. but hey i guess you could raise a banner up over it

9-1, 3-2 or 123-1, nobody in junior hockey was going to beat Windsor. Windsor could probably beat NHL teams.

Can`t believe though that Raider fans are still sookie about things. I doubt Regina Pats fans are still mad when Garnet Jacobsen ran Chad Mercier and gave him a hairline fracture in his hip.

GlutenGlutton
06-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Yeah i agree but you can't tell me that most of you arent bitter getting into the Mem cup final and getting torched so close but yet so far away bitterness is a 2 way street guys

Not really. Windsor deserved to be champions, bitter might come from losing a one goal game on a blown call. The semi-final OT win over Calgary was the kind of thing not many fans ever get to see in their home barn. It's easy to forget that we're unbelievably lucky to barely know what it feels like to miss the playoffs. Don't mean to be cocky, but bitterness doesn't usually come from one game or even one season. It comes from entire decades of sucking.

Joe Hallenback
06-01-2010, 01:51 PM

I am sad yes but not bitter at all. What's the old saying

Better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all

We made it to the finals and got beat by a team that will go down as one of the, if not the greatest Junior teams of all time.

Rebelsfan13
06-01-2010, 04:29 PM
9-1, 3-2 or 123-1, nobody in junior hockey was going to beat Windsor. Windsor could probably beat NHL teams.

Maybe Edmonton or Toronto but come on, that has to be the biggest overstatement on this board.

As for the rest of the pro Brandon comments, yes you made the finals but you were the host! You don't even get a chance at the finals otherwise.

Great OT win against Calgary but that was your second win of the entire tournament. I agree the end score doesn't matter but it does matter that you lost. As WHL fans our #1 goal is to watch our team win the Memorial Cup, no different than watching our NHL teams wanting them to win the Stanley Cup and finishing runner up feels no better than finishing last.

If you feel otherwise and are actually happy with never winning a Mem Cup but making the playoffs each year then you likely also are fine with playing sports recreationally and not keeping score lol.

EOK1
06-01-2010, 04:47 PM
You speak as if we're at fault for our teams not winning or winning cups.

We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.

Sunk in yet?

lordstanley
06-01-2010, 05:03 PM
You speak as if we're at fault for our teams not winning or winning cups.

We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans. We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.We're just fans.

Sunk in yet?
Ive been waiting for a soild post ware i can say broken record here we go lol BROKEN RECORD scratch that disc some more DJ EOK

bcas70
06-02-2010, 08:23 AM
This years Memorial Cup was a great experience for any Wheat King fan. Regardless of being the host the Calgary-Brandon semi final OT win will always be a special moment for any WK fan. Certainly the final was disappointing but it was pure joy to be watching your team play at the end of May.

patsdude114
06-05-2010, 01:36 PM

Which was the sole purpose the WKs should of gotten Zemlak for there goaltender, Brandon had enough offense that they could of gave up a 20 yr old forward in Lewendak (however u spell it) for a real goaltender.

Brandon ran over all WHL teams until they faced Calgary or Saskatoon who actually had a defense & goaltending. Brandon did the same thing the Pats tried to do when Regina hosted the Memorial cup. Brandon tried to outscore every team they faced & just hoped they could score more then there goalies gave up, the Pats stacked there defense in 2001 hoping they wouldnt give up many quality chances.

Both 2001 Pats & 2010 WKs failed in how they built there teams, both took the back door into the Memorial Cup which is why im a firm believer that just cuz ur the host city shouldnt give u a auto birth in the tournament. If the WHL is hosting the Memorial Cup i am a firm believer that the 2 teams in the league final should get birth's into the final even if 1 of those teams ARE NOT the host city.

If the host city needs to take the back door into the tournament there is a reason why they shouldnt be in the tournament to begin with. Which is "they are not good enough to be there"

I love the Memorial Cup tournament dont get me wrong but there r some things in the tournament that needs to be changed about it.

dagley
06-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Which was the sole purpose the WKs should of gotten Zemlak for there goaltender, Brandon had enough offense that they could of gave up a 20 yr old forward in Lewendak (however u spell it) for a real goaltender.

Brandon ran over all WHL teams until they faced Calgary or Saskatoon who actually had a defense & goaltending. Brandon did the same thing the Pats tried to do when Regina hosted the Memorial cup. Brandon tried to outscore every team they faced & just hoped they could score more then there goalies gave up, the Pats stacked there defense in 2001 hoping they wouldnt give up many quality chances.

Both 2001 Pats & 2010 WKs failed in how they built there teams, both took the back door into the Memorial Cup which is why im a firm believer that just cuz ur the host city shouldnt give u a auto birth in the tournament. If the WHL is hosting the Memorial Cup i am a firm believer that the 2 teams in the league final should get birth's into the final even if 1 of those teams ARE NOT the host city.

If the host city needs to take the back door into the tournament there is a reason why they shouldnt be in the tournament to begin with. Which is "they are not good enough to be there"

I love the Memorial Cup tournament dont get me wrong but there r some things in the tournament that needs to be changed about it.

Last time I checked, we ran over Saskatoon too.

lordstanley
06-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Last time i checked we wore you guys down in the second round before facing Calgary.

Don't start thinking your team was awesome cause you choked in the playoffs got a lucky win against Calgary and got bombed in the Mem Cup. so all in all i would chalk up the season as a loss with no WHL championship and Mem Cup have fun rebuilding.

Allin44
06-05-2010, 05:45 PM

At the time of the deadline, and into the playoffs, DeSerres has been good.

If you get rid of the host city no teams will want to bid on the MC anymore because you have to give a profit guarantee and you won't make money.

Wheatie Pete
06-05-2010, 07:15 PM
and 800 volunteers will just jump out to plan festivities a week prior!!!!

Most host teams don't win the cup anyway . Someone has to host it. It takes a lot of planning and effort to put on a show like that.

LifelongChiefsFan
06-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Windsor will go down as one of the greatest teams in the history of the CHL, and they were very good, but I can think of a few WHL teams that I would still take if it were possible for them to play each other. It's hard to do a comparison though because the style of hockey from the 80's and 90's is so different than it is now. But even in the past few years, I think the 07 Tigers, 07 Giants and 08 Chiefs would all give Windsor a run for their money in the championship game. Not saying any would beat Windsor, but it would be a good game and any of the three could definitely have pulled it off. You can't take anything away from the Wheat Kings though and as a few others have said, win or lose absolutely nothing beats watching your team at the end of May. :thumb:

If Sauter is named Brandon's head coach, I feel for you guys. Good luck trying to figure out what your line combos are. The mixing and matching in Spokane the last few years still has me seeing a little blurry.

Joe Hallenback
06-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Last time i checked we wore you guys down in the second round before facing Calgary.

Don't start thinking your team was awesome cause you choked in the playoffs got a lucky win against Calgary and got bombed in the Mem Cup. so all in all i would chalk up the season as a loss with no WHL championship and Mem Cup have fun rebuilding.

When is the last time Saskatoon won the WHL anyway?

Brandon doesn't rebuild they reload.

Listen I know it must suck having to be in Brandon's division year after year and get pounded by us but maybe you should worry about the Blades a little bit more and not us.

lordstanley
06-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Yeah your right Brandon pounds us year after year if that was the case we would have not got over 200 points in the last 2 regular seasons give your head a shake plus we won the east banner in 09/10 and only a couple points out last year from winning the east again :smokin':

Joe Hallenback
06-07-2010, 12:08 PM
How many times have you been out of the playoffs in the past 10 years?
How many times have you advanced beyond the 2nd round in the past 10 years?

Jesus please you make yourself and your team look like fools.

lordstanley
06-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Looks like were even ware it counts and thats zero MEM CUPS SUCKAA so deal with that and were in the front running to host the 2013 mem cup so it will be Blades 1 Brandon zero after that :clap:

Joe Hallenback
06-07-2010, 01:30 PM
Looks like were even ware it counts and thats zero MEM CUPS SUCKAA so deal with that and were in the front running to host the 2013 mem cup so it will be Blades 1 Brandon zero after that :clap:

You are not the front runners. You already hosted it. Probably go to someone who never hosted it before by that time you guys will be back in last place after Molleken is gone to the NHL. My money is Lethbridge hosting it in 2013 while we knock you out in round 1 or 2 like we usually do

The Wheatiemaniac
06-07-2010, 01:31 PM

This was a thread about "OUR" fans paying homage to a season we will never forget. Other teams fans come on here with constructive thoughts and opinions, and you come here with a big ol' basket full of sour grapes to cover the fact that Calgary also whipped you guys like rented mules all year while we took 3 of 4 from them. Playoffs, yup we got beat.....Cup semi, we got em back. In the Final, we were there......58 other teams watched it on TV.

We also had over 200 points last 2 seasons, you won the East in 08/09 not 09/10...that was us.

And one more thing.....where on earth would you have been this year without Stanford??? Probably battling Moose Jaw for the final playoff spot.

As for rebuilding....feel free to compare notes with us come January at the deadline....we'll see who's rebuilding and who's reloading.

lordstanley
06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
This was a thread about "OUR" fans paying homage to a season we will never forget. Other teams fans come on here with constructive thoughts and opinions, and you come here with a big ol' basket full of sour grapes to cover the fact that Calgary also whipped you guys like rented mules all year while we took 3 of 4 from them. Playoffs, yup we got beat.....Cup semi, we got em back. In the Final, we were there......58 other teams watched it on TV.

We also had over 200 points last 2 seasons, you won the East in 08/09 not 09/10...that was us.

And one more thing.....where on earth would you have been this year without Stanford??? Probably battling Moose Jaw for the final playoff spot.

As for rebuilding....feel free to compare notes with us come January at the deadline....we'll see who's rebuilding and who's reloading.

Were going for the mem cup come 2013 it's gonnn be between us and lethbridge i would think, and we will win in the end with a rebuilt arena that holds 15 thousand people wich means alot of money and good prospect list way better than lethbridge not even close actually so there ya go.

And another Stanford never kept us in games our all star defense did that stanford was no holtby not even close

BTW calgary never whiped us all year long the regular season was 2-2 against them, anyways get back to congratulating your team for the next 5 months or so i just thought i would switch it up as it was getting very dull

Joe Hallenback
06-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Why would we not congragulate our team. How many small market teams would love to have our record year in and year out. Sorry if your GMs can't build teams like KM don't feel sorry not many others can either.

booboo
06-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Your team hasn't won --it in the last 100 years so don't come on here and bash the Wheatkings, who are a small market team compared to Saskatoon but have won a hell of a lot more games over the last 18 years than the Blades have ever won. I thought you guys had a very good team last year but lost to the Wheaties when it counts--in the playoffs. Posters like you do not help the image of the Blades one bit---you are not making a lot of sense in your arguments---You should be better than the Wheats---you live in Sktoon and you have posters like you and PC that love to stir up --it. But I guess it keeps the rest of us entertained. Good luck next year.:groovy:

lordstanley
06-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Your team hasn't won --it in the last 100 years so don't come on here and bash the Wheatkings, who are a small market team compared to Saskatoon but have won a hell of a lot more games over the last 18 years than the Blades have ever won. I thought you guys had a very good team last year but lost to the Wheaties when it counts--in the playoffs. Posters like you do not help the image of the Blades one bit---you are not making a lot of sense in your arguments---You should be better than the Wheats---you live in Sktoon and you have posters like you and PC that love to stir up --it. But I guess it keeps the rest of us entertained. Good luck next year.:groovy:

Booboo i like you

You can just call me Lord

The Wheatiemaniac
06-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Booboo i like you

You can just call me Lord

When you can say your team has 2 league championship banners, 5 trips to the Mem Cup and 3 finals appearances, and countless division titles to boot, you'll have only barely caught up with us. My vote would be for Lethbridge because they've never hosted before. You had your chance in 89....remember losing in OT after getting into the tourney through the back door. Had to say it since it's all we've heard about.

Point is, you've done nothing and won nothing. So think about that before telling us we lost the Final on home ice...we know, we were there.

Do not hunt what you cannot kill!!!

BLACK AND GOLD FOREVER!!!!!

Trav
06-08-2010, 03:09 AM
When you can say your team has 2 league championship banners, 5 trips to the Mem Cup and 3 finals appearances, and countless division titles to boot, you'll have only barely caught up with us. My vote would be for Lethbridge because they've never hosted before. You had your chance in 89....remember losing in OT after getting into the tourney through the back door. Had to say it since it's all we've heard about.

Point is, you've done nothing and won nothing. So think about that before telling us we lost the Final on home ice...we know, we were there.

Do not hunt what you cannot kill!!!

BLACK AND GOLD FOREVER!!!!!

No offense man but you should take back the back door comment. Your Wheat Kings only got in to the Memorial Cup because they were the hosts, just like the Blades, remember that...Lol by the way, just a friendly jab at ya, least the Blades didn't lose 9-2 or whatever it was ;)

And Stanley, stop being so cocky. ur making the rest of us Blades fans look bad. 2013 is three years away, anything can happen between now and then and Stanford DID keep the blades in games. All Star defense? Be realistic man. By the way, u should be glad the Blades got Stanford and didn't go with Morrison all year, Stanford won games for the team and if u think he didn't then u obviously weren't at every game.

Brandon fans, I respect ur team, u guys got solid management and I cant even remember the last time u guys had a not so great team. Always able to put out competitive teams. Kelly McCrimmon knows how to build a good team.

Under Molleken, the Blades have been fairly decent, just not strong enough though to win the eastern conference. Their playoff record needs to get better obviously.

I think we will see a good Blades - Wheat Kings battle for the next few seasons. Good luck next year.

The Wheatiemaniac
06-08-2010, 08:57 AM
No offense man but you should take back the back door comment. Your Wheat Kings only got in to the Memorial Cup because they were the hosts, just like the Blades, remember that...Lol by the way, just a friendly jab at ya, least the Blades didn't lose 9-2 or whatever it was ;)

And Stanley, stop being so cocky. ur making the rest of us Blades fans look bad. 2013 is three years away, anything can happen between now and then and Stanford DID keep the blades in games. All Star defense? Be realistic man. By the way, u should be glad the Blades got Stanford and didn't go with Morrison all year, Stanford won games for the team and if u think he didn't then u obviously weren't at every game.

Brandon fans, I respect ur team, u guys got solid management and I cant even remember the last time u guys had a not so great team. Always able to put out competitive teams. Kelly McCrimmon knows how to build a good team.

Under Molleken, the Blades have been fairly decent, just not strong enough though to win the eastern conference. Their playoff record needs to get better obviously.

I think we will see a good Blades - Wheat Kings battle for the next few seasons. Good luck next year.

The whole point of the "back door" thing was the fact that it's all Wheat Kings fans have heard about. As I'm sure you did in 89. But Like I said. We were in the final with Windsor, and 58 other teams weren't. Yes, we wish it would have ended up closer, but it didn't. And that's just the way it played out.
And yes, next year we'll be witness to more battles on the ice. We won't be near as weak next year as some may think. And I predict that the year after we will again be challenging for a league title. Our next generation Wheat Kings will be just as dynamic and our defence will be stronger than ever. And remember the name Liam Liston. Our rookie goalie is gonna be something else and then some.

Trav
06-08-2010, 10:51 AM
The whole point of the "back door" thing was the fact that it's all Wheat Kings fans have heard about. As I'm sure you did in 89. But Like I said. We were in the final with Windsor, and 58 other teams weren't. Yes, we wish it would have ended up closer, but it didn't. And that's just the way it played out.
And yes, next year we'll be witness to more battles on the ice. We won't be near as weak next year as some may think. And I predict that the year after we will again be challenging for a league title. Our next generation Wheat Kings will be just as dynamic and our defence will be stronger than ever. And remember the name Liam Liston. Our rookie goalie is gonna be something else and then some.

Same with the Blades, except back then there weren't as many teams as there is now, so both our teams were in the same situation, both teams lost so we can't throw the "back door" thing in to each other's face lol.

lordstanley
06-08-2010, 12:19 PM
I hate to say it Trav but our defense kept us in games not Stanford the stats don't lie the Blades let up one of the fewest shots on goal per game averege and Stanfords save percentage was 17th in the league hmmm

Brandonite
06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Brandon got the **** kicked out of them...period!! They had no business even being there but YES it was nice to watch the hometown team playing in the finals, something we likely won't ever get to see in this barn again. I too am very bitter at the fact they first off took the back door in, and secondly got ****-kicked in 3 of the 5 games they played! Thats hardly satisfying. Like I said before, if they would have lost to Calgary in the East finals by even 6 games, I may be a little more supportive but the fact they got **** KICKED in 5 fast games and then worked over in the Mem Cup tells me thats not a good ending! With Saskatoon, they had great defence and to be honest I would have taken their defence over Brandons in a second! Sam Klassen, Stefan Elliot, Jyri Niemi, Teigan Zahn are all going to be playing pro next season minus Elliot who very well likely could make the jump to Colorado next year. I would take those guys over Melnychuk, Schneider, Urbom and even Robak.

Raider Believer
06-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Brandon got the **** kicked out of them...period!! They had no business even being there but YES it was nice to watch the hometown team playing in the finals, something we likely won't ever get to see in this barn again. I too am very bitter at the fact they first off took the back door in, and secondly got ****-kicked in 3 of the 5 games they played! Thats hardly satisfying. Like I said before, if they would have lost to Calgary in the East finals by even 6 games, I may be a little more supportive but the fact they got **** KICKED in 5 fast games and then worked over in the Mem Cup tells me thats not a good ending! With Saskatoon, they had great defence and to be honest I would have taken their defence over Brandons in a second! Sam Klassen, Stefan Elliot, Jyri Niemi, Teigan Zahn are all going to be playing pro next season minus Elliot who very well likely could make the jump to Colorado next year. I would take those guys over Melnychuk, Schneider, Urbom and even Robak.

Well said! Do you think Brandon gave up too much of the future to take a run at the Cup?

Trevor
06-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Well said! Do you think Brandon gave up too much of the future to take a run at the Cup?

Not at all, especially considering of the 4 guys KM traded for, one for sure, maybe two, will play next season as over-agers.

Allin44
06-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Anytime a team loads up they have to "overpay" but we have enough depth in our prospects to replenish. This year may be a lean year, but we haven't ****ed ourselves over for the long term. If anything we didn't give up enough.

The only Dman on that list that I would take over Robak or Urbom is Elliott.

The only team/fans in the East that have any right to be chirping Brandon is Calgary fans, because Calgary is really the only team we haven't steamrolled the past few years. Enjoy the success you may have against us for next year.

Brandonite
06-09-2010, 05:15 AM

You never ever give up too much if the end result is there! In this case, it clearly wasn't. In saying that, Brandon's really known for finding the kids that sneak under the radar and they always seem to have atleast 5 or 6 kids on the roster that were never drafted. They won't have Dallas Ehrhardt, Jordan Depape, or Brendan Rouse for the coming years and in turn Brandon will have Shayne Weibe & Jacob Deserres along with a whole whopping minus draft picks so yes in the end it didnt pay off at all and Brandon lost out I would say...

Brandonite
06-09-2010, 05:18 AM
Jordan Depape is gonna be an all-star in the WHL. He was easily in Kamloops top 3 forwards and he's gonna be relied on huge next season with the Blazers. He'll score 30 goals next year and Weibe will be lucky to hit 20. I like Weibe but Depape is gonna be a stud in this league...

caniac # 2
06-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Anytime a team loads up they have to "overpay" but we have enough depth in our prospects to replenish. This year may be a lean year, but we haven't ****ed ourselves over for the long term. If anything we didn't give up enough.

The only Dman on that list that I would take over Robak or Urbom is Elliott.

The only team/fans in the East that have any right to be chirping Brandon is Calgary fans, because Calgary is really the only team we haven't steamrolled the past few years. Enjoy the success you may have against us for next year.

Didnt the canes beat your Wk's 2 years ago in the 2008 playoffs ??

Allin44
06-09-2010, 05:03 PM
[/B]

Didnt the canes beat your Wk's 2 years ago in the 2008 playoffs ??

3 years ago yes in 6, still 10-8(I think) vs LETH with that regular season/playoffs and 08-09 and 09-10. BDN has also won 140 games in the regular season in that time(I think only CGY has more), I'd like to see what kind of damage we could do in the playoffs with a true coach.

I think this year will be reminiscent of the 07-08 season, have a bunch of new guys come in, I don't think they'll hit the 40 win plateau, but they'll have a solid core of 17/18 year olds, and should be a tough team to beat again in the '11-12 and '12-'13 seasons

The Wheatiemaniac
06-10-2010, 03:42 PM
3 years ago yes in 6, still 10-8(I think) vs LETH with that regular season/playoffs and 08-09 and 09-10. BDN has also won 140 games in the regular season in that time(I think only CGY has more), I'd like to see what kind of damage we could do in the playoffs with a true coach.

I think this year will be reminiscent of the 07-08 season, have a bunch of new guys come in, I don't think they'll hit the 40 win plateau, but they'll have a solid core of 17/18 year olds, and should be a tough team to beat again in the '11-12 and '12-'13 seasons

I personally think we'll get to 40 wins....maybe not 45, but we will be better than alot of people give us credit for. I just can't wait to see what we look like on opening night. It's 3 months away and I'm already excited about it. But we'll be fine.