PDA

View Full Version : Costanzo traded

Beaner
05-11-2005, 09:03 PM
From www,whl.ca

GIANTS TRADE COSTANZO TO CALGARY
Created: May 11, 2005

The Vancouver Giants have traded 19-year-old forward Ryan Costanzo to the Calgary Hitmen in exchange for a conditional eighth round pick in the 2006 Western Hockey League bantam draft.

Costanzo is entering his fourth and final year in the Western Hockey League. The 6’1”, 190 lbs. right-handed centre is a native of Montrose, B.C. He joined the Giants last season prior to the WHL trade deadline and finished the year with three goals and ten assists in 66 games.

“With a large number of younger forwards projected to play in our line-up next season, we felt we could offer Ryan a better opportunity to play in our league with another team,” says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. “We thank Ryan for his contribution to our club and we wish him all the best in finishing off his WHL career with the Hitmen.”

hmm, looks like the Giants are dealing with the 20yr old problem early.

Kassian
05-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Better to fix the problem early rather than late.

Beaner
05-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Yes, I agree.

Now leaves us in the 20 yr. old situation as follows

Bartley
Jennings
Cunning
Albers
Meszaros

Bartley is a lock for 1 spot.

Jennings is pretty much done, considering they just got Slade, and have Sexsmith eligible to play now.

There has been talk that Cunning is going to the Flames AHL team, but I dont think that is likely considering that he didnt have that good a year last year, especially the last half.

If Meszaros does come back, and Cunning doesn't go to the AHL, that leaves Albers and Cunning fighting for the last spot.

My thoughts are Cunning, Bartley and Albers will be our 20 yr. olds for next year. Meszaros is cleary ready for the next level.

If Meszaros comes back it will be Meszaros, Bartley and Cunning. I cant see them putting 2 overagers on Defence, considering we would have Meszaros and Fistric (19) already.

Kassian
05-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Jennings won't be returning. That is set in stone. Hay confirmed it a few weeks back.

I hear Cunning won't be back either. The Flames want him to play for Omaha in the AHL next season. I can't see Meszaros coming back. He'll be heading straight for Binghamton, IMO.

So basically it is a given that Bartley and Albers will be overagers. And assuming something goes bad with Cunning and the Flames, I guess he could be the final overager. We'll have to see how that turns out.

But that being said, there might be room for one more overager depending on what happens with Cunning and Meszaros.

C.F
05-12-2005, 04:25 PM
The Sens would be stupid to not to send Meszaros to Binghamton, and I can't see Cunning playing in the AHL.

It would be suprising to me if the 3 OA's weren't Bartley, Albers, and Cunning.

Kassian
05-12-2005, 06:19 PM
and I can't see Cunning playing in the AHL.

I can't either. But that is what the Flames want for some reason....

To be honest I can't figure out why. Maybe they should watch him play a little more. They'll realize he isn't even ECHL material... :laugh:

Beaner
05-14-2005, 11:00 AM
The Sens would be stupid to not to send Meszaros to Binghamton.

It all depends on what they already have in Binghamton. If he is only going to see Dman #6 Ice time there, then why not let him stay in the WHL for another year where he will be the #1 or #2 guy and play 20+ mins a game.

I doubt very much that will happen - I give the odds as 1-10 that he will be staying.