PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp

scamperdog
08-26-2010, 08:58 PM
www.kamloopsnews.ca
By GREGG DRINNAN
Daily News Sports Editor

During his playing days with the Kamloops Blazers, Craig Bonner was a rugged defenceman who was part of one Memorial Cup championship.

By the end of his playing days here, he stood 6-foot-4 and weighed 215 pounds, and he would just as soon have chopped down an opposing forward as said “Hello!” It was then that he first learned the value of solid defence.

In six seasons on the Vancouver Giants’ coaching staff, he watched as the club established itself by putting together a dominant defensive corps. That paid off with a WHL championship and a Memorial Cup title.

It comes as no surprise, then, that Bonner, now the Blazers’ general manager, is working from the same blueprint.

"Yeah, it's big," says a chuckling Bonner. "I think it's important to have some size back there. We have a good mix now — guys whocan move the puck and some size."

As the Blazers prepare to open training camp today — there is fitness testing at TRU and registration at the McArthur Island Sport and Event Centre — it is obvious that the team’s strength is on the blue line.

That is something that you can bet Guy Charron recognizes as he begins his first full season as head coach. As a result, those young defencemen will get ample help from assistants Scott Ferguson and Geoff Smith, both of whom are former NHL defencemen.

Led by Austin Madaisky, who had quite a coming-out party in a first-round loss to the Vancouver Giants last spring, the Blazers will have five veteran defenders in camp who stand at least 6-foot-2.

They are even bigger when you add 6-foot-3, 215-pound Corey Fienhage, a third-round selection by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2009 NHL draft who has left the U of North Dakota and joined the Blazers.

Still, this is a franchise that hasn’t seen the second round of a playoff series since 1999 and has turned into something of a graveyard for coaches — Charron is the fourth head coach since the present ownership group took control during the summer of 2007.

In other words, there are questions . . . yes, there are.

So, as the franchise begins its 29th training camp, here are 10 things for which to watch:

1. What about the discipline? This will be Charron’s first training camp as the team’s head coach. It will be interesting to watch him work with this bunch on its discipline, something that has been a bug-a-boo here for a number of seasons now. A lack of discipline leads not only to the penalty box, but it also results in systems breakdowns and the helter-skelter play that has plagued this team.

2. What about the goaltending? Jon Groenheyde, 19, goes into camp as the starting goaltender, but there’s a lot of pressure on his shoulders. He has mostly been in a backup role for the last two seasons and there is concern among management because he really hasn’t taken the bull by the horns when given the opportunity to be the go-to guy. Barring the arrival of a veteran in a trade, the backup, at least to start the season, will be one of two 16-year-olds — Troy Trombley, a 2008 draft pick from Sherwood Park, Alta., who has signed, or Taran Kozun, a list player from Nipawin, Sask. Kozun actually turns 16 on Sunday.

3. Fienhage, at this point the only 20-year-old on the roster, spent two seasons at North Dakota after playing in the USHL for a winter. But in the last three seasons he has played only 53 games, including playoffs. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to a game-heavy schedule. Fienhage put up only six points in those games, so don’t be looking for offence from him.

4. How much stronger did Bronson Maschmeyer, at 5-foot-10 the smallest of the returning defencemen, get over the offseason? He may have the most offensive ability of the defencemen but strength was an issue. He played in all 72 regular-season games in 2009-10 but wore down in the second half. He had 38 points on the season but just 10 in his last 33 games.

5. As big and strong as the defence appears, someone may have to go if Bonner and Charron feel a need to make room for 17-year-old Max Mowat, a 5-foot-10 prospect from Coldstream, or Brady Gaudet, 16, the 2009 first-round bantam pick out of Redvers, Sask.

6. If the defencemen are to play big in their zone, the penalty killing, which was abysmal last season, has to be a whole lot better. Last season it was 20th in the 22-team league at 75.3 per cent, while giving up 96 goals, the second-worst total in the WHL. If the Blazers are to be successful, the success rate has to get above 80 per cent and they have to surrender at least 40 fewer goals in those situations.

7. From where will the goals come? The Blazers return one 20-goal scorer — Brendan Ranford had 29 — but have added J.T. Barnett, who scored 21 times for the Vancouver Giants. Still, forwards like Colin Smith (5), Dalibor Bortnak (9) and Dylan Willick (12) are going to have to pick up the pace.

8. Will third-year forward Jake Trask find some scoring consistency? He scored 10 goals in 65 games as a freshman, but seven of those goals came in his first 20 games. Last season, he finished with 13 goals in 68 games — with nine of the goals coming in the first 17 games. He can’t afford to do that again this season.

9. Will third-year defenceman Josh Caron continue to improve? He may have been the most improved player in the league last season; in fact, he improved to the point where he was asked to curtail his pugilistic activities because the team needed him on the ice. He will go to camp with the NHL’s Minnesota Wild so his confidence will only improve.

10. Will the Blazers be able to improve their relationship with the WHL referees in less than one season? The Blazers were shorthanded a WHL-leading 388 times last season, which tells you about all you need to know about this team’s discipline and its relationship with the referees, both of which have been allowed to fester. You have to think, though, that the personable Charron will have a lot to say about both of those items.

JUST NOTES: The Blazers can’t use Interior Savings Centre for training camp because the arena is being readied for a five-day (Sept. 1-5) stand by Cirque de Soleil. . . . F Brett Roulston, a list player from Whitehorse, isn’t expected in camp thanks to a re-occurring back problem. . . . F Kiefer McNaughton, a fourth-round pick in the 2008 bantam draft, is out with a broken leg suffered while playing soccer with some friends. McNaughton, from North Vancouver, was to have attended main camp. . . . The Blazers will do fitness testing at TRU this morning (8 to 10 o’clock), with registration later (5-6 p.m.) at McArthur Island. The first players hit the ice Friday at 9 a.m. There will be rookie practices at 9, 10:15 and 11:30 a.m., and 12:45 p.m. Main camp practices are scheduled for 2:15 and 3:45 p.m., with rookie games at 5:30 and 7:30 p.m.

gdrinnan@kamloopsnews.ca

gdrinnan.blogspot.com

hockeyfan123
08-26-2010, 11:27 PM
I cant see Trask making the club this year. he seems too in consistent. One game hes great the next hes not. As a 19 year old you need to be a consistent forward.

scamperdog
08-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Charron eager to get on the ice
By GREGG DRINNAN
Daily News Sports Editor
So far, so good.
But now the real work begins.
Guy Charron, the head coach of the WHL’s Kamloops Blazers, liked what he saw Thursday as players gathered at TRU and Hillside Stadium for fitness testing.
“My first observation from (Thursday) is that there is a lot of enthusiasm and excitement with the players. It’s nice to see,” said Charron, who is into his first training camp as the team’s head coach.
Enthusiasm and excitement are not strangers to Charron, who admitted he’s “excited” and “looking forward” to the on-ice sessions that begin today at McArthur Island Sport and Event Centre.
Charron took over as the Blazers’ head coach on Nov. 23. He has since signed a two-year extension through 2011-12. And he’s eager to put his own stamp on this team.
“This is,” he said, “a better time to establish something in terms of preparation than coming in halfway through a season and trying to get things the way you would like it to be. Now we have time to prepare.”
And, while some training camps have become dominated by scrimmages, Charron said he is more interested in the practice sessions.
“For me, as a coach, the practices are more important than the games,” he stated. “But for our scouts, they would rather see the games. As long as we were able to combine practices with the scrimmages . . .”
Today, for example, there will be four practices for rookie participants and two for those taking part in the main camp, followed by two rookie scrimmages.
Charron plans on being on the ice as much as he can for the practice sessions.
“I’m hands-on, especially this particular camp,” Charron said.
Still, he isn’t Superman, so he won’t be on the ice for every session. Instead, he and assistants Scott Ferguson and Geoff Smith, along with goaltending coach Dan De Palma, will mix it up “so we all stay energized.”
On the ice or off, Charron will be paying particularly close attention to the practices.
“For me, it’s practice and this is where I get most of my knowledge about the players,” he explained. “I’m focused on how the drills have to be executed and those kinds of things. I will create situations that are competitive in practice . . . I look for execution.
“I’m a big believer in practices . . . this is where you get better and you play like you practise.”
———
Two of the players attending the Blazers’ main camp might come in for closer scrutiny, at least in the early going, than some others.
Forward Bernhard Keil, an 18-year-old from Germany, was selected by the Blazers in the CHL’s 2010 import draft. Defenceman Corey Fienhage, 20, joined the Blazers after spending two seasons with the U of North Dakota Fighting Sioux.
“He’s a big kid,” Charron said of Keil, who was shown as 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds when the Blazers drafted him. “He’s thick. He shoots the puck a ton. He’ll be able to fit in.”
Based on what Charron has seen in informal workouts, he said Keil’s skating “may not be at the level of other players but he has other dimensions that can be used in a very favourable way.”
Charron was especially impressed with Keil’s shot.
“His size and his ability to shoot the puck the way he does . . . that was one of the things at practice I noticed,” Charron said. “A couple of times he let that shot go and I thought, ‘Wow! That’s a big-time shot right there.’ ”
As for the 6-foot-3, 215-pound Fienhage, Charron has recognized that the American defenceman knows how to play the game the right way.
“He comes from a good program,” Charron said, “so he has the knowledge of how to play the game. He’s definitely a good addition.
“He’s outgoing, very fit, very big.”
And, like Keil, Fienhage can shoot the puck.
“You see this guy take a slapshot and he’s liable to break the glass,” Charron said, before adding, with a chuckle: “All we have to do is get him to hit the net.”
“He hits it a ton. He’ll scare people,” Charron continued. “I don’t know who will want to go to the front of the net when he shoots the puck.”
While watching Fienhage shoot the puck, Charron remembered his time as a player with the NHL’s Montreal Canadiens.
“Claude Ruel in Montreal was adamant about (hitting the net),” Charron said, referring to the Habs’ former head coach. “I think I picked up some of those things. I like the sound of the glass but I like it more when I don’t hear anything.”

gdrinnan@kamloopsnews.ca
http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/

scamperdog
08-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Training Camp Day 1 Recap

Day 1 of training camp has finished. Here is a recap of the day’s events.

Some interesting notes from camp:

•There are currently 72 players in rookie camp (BC – 45, AB – 10, SK – 11, MB – 2, USA – 4) and 29 players in main camp (BC – 11, AB – 6, SK – 6, MB – 1, USA – 3, SVK – 1, GER – 1).
•Chase Souto, who was drafted in the 5th round in 2009 by the Blazers, and brother Cole Souto, a free agent invite, are the only brothers at training camp.
•Out of the 101 players in camp, 8 of them are Kamloops’ natives. This includes Ryan Hanes who is entering his second season with the hockey club.
•Goaltenders Taran Kozun and Troy Trombley, both property of the Blazers, have been moved up to main camp. They join returnee Jon Groenheyde in net.
Injury Report: None

SCRIMMAGE #1 at 5:30 PM

Team Blue 5, Team White 2

Goal Scorers

Blue
Kody Disher, Cole Ully (2), Shawn McBride, Jordan Levesque

White
Logan McVeigh, Johnny Franklin

Goalies

Blue
Scott Lapp 16/16, Brandon Painter 8/10

White
Ty Hamer-Jackson 7/9, Braden Krogfoss 15/18

SCRIMMAGE #2 at 7:15 PM

Team Orange 5, Team Black 4

Goal Scorers

Orange
Chase Souto (2), Diego Cuglietta, Jonathan Zdan, Landon Cross

Black
Evan Ingram (2), Conner Bebb, Colton Dow

Goalies

Orange
Blake Alexander 12/13, Nathan Warren 15/18

Black
Brok Terrill 10/13, Devon Pearson 14/17

www.blazerhockey.com

scamperdog
08-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Training Camp Day 2 Recap www.blazerhockey.com

Kamloops, BC – Kamloops Blazers rookie camp has come to a close on day 2 of training camp at the McArthur Island Sports Centre. The hockey club has released 50 players and now have 61 players remaining as the rookies and veterans are integrated for on ice sessions tomorrow. Team Orange is scheduled to practice tomorrow morning at 9am, while Team White and Team Blue are scheduled to practice at 10:45am and 12:00pm. The day will conclude with Team White and Team Blue squaring off at 5pm.

In the 9:00am game, Cole Ully (2nd round 2010) and Matthew Needham (1st round 2010) led Team Blue to a 8-4 victory. Ully, a Calgary native, picked up 3 goals while also adding an assist. Needham, from Penticton, scored once and collected 3 assists in the victory.

Diego Cuglietta scored the game winner and finished with 2 goals and an assist to lead Team Orange to a 5-4 win during the second game of the day. Braden Krogfoss (7th round 2010) was terrific in goal stopping all 15 shots he faced in a losing cause.

Team Orange improved their record to 3-0, winning 10-2 over Team Blue during the 5:30pm game. Orange was led by Conner Richards who had 2 goals and an assist. Blake Alexander and Nathan Warren played well, each allowing only one goal apiece.

The last game of the day was won by Team White 4-3, as Logan McVeigh scored 2 goals, including the game winner, to lift his team to victory. Brady Gaudet had 2 assists for Team Black.

Injury report: Matt McLeod (Shoulder Strain) – Will not compete in Main Camp

SCRIMMAGE #3 at 9AM, Saturday, August 28, 2010

Team Blue 8, Team Black 4

Goal Scorers

Blue
Cole Ully (3), Jeffrey Ness, Matthew Needham, Kyle Bird, Brandon Volpe, Tyson Harvey

Black
Brandon Morley, Andrew Klukas, Conner Bebb, Evan Ingram

Goalies

Blue
Brandon Painter 12/13, Scott Lapp 15/18

Black
Brok Terrill 14/19, Devon Pearson 13/16

SCRIMMAGE #4 at 12:00PM, Saturday, August 28, 2010

Team Orange 5, Team White 4

Goal Scorers

Orange
Diego Cuglietta (2), Chase Souto, Aspen Sterzer, Dylan Grant,

White
Dylan Frey, Logan McVeigh, Jake Latin, Riley Hunt

Goalies

Orange
Nathan Warren 12/15, Blake Alexander 12/13

White
Braden Krogfoss 15/15, Ty Hamer-Jackson 15/20

SCRIMMAGE #5 at 5:30PM, Saturday, August 28, 2010

Team Orange 10, Team Blue 2

Goal Scorers

Orange
Connor Kidd, Chase Souto, Kale Lapointe, Jaymes Veitch, Conner Richards (2), Devin Oakes (2), Jonathan Zdan, Aspen Sterzer

Blue

Brandon Volpe, Jody Sick

Goalies

Orange
Blake Alexander 14/15, Nathan Warren 16/17

Blue
Scott Lapp 15/19, Brandon Painter 16/22

SCRIMMAGE #6 at 7:30PM, Saturday, August 28, 2010

Team Black 3, Team White 4

Goal Scorers

Black

Conner Bebb, Tre Potskin, Evan Ingram

White
Logan McVeigh (2), Mitchell Schwark, Riley Hunt

Goalies

Black
Devon Pearson 15/17, Brok Terrill 12/14

White
Ty Hamer-Jackson 15/18, Braden Krogfoss 14/14

Tomorrow's Schedule

SUNDAY, AUGUST 29, 2010

9:00 AM - 10:30 AM
Practice - Orange

10:45 AM - 11:45 AM
Practice - Blue

12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Practice - White

5:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Game- Blue vs White

scamperdog
08-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Training Camp Day 3 Recap www.blazerhockey.com

Kamloops, BC – Day 3 of camp featured three new teams and only one game on the day. Team Orange practiced this morning and had the rest of the day off, while Team Blue and Team White each practiced and then faced off in an evening affair as Team Blue scoring a 5-4 victory. Chase Souto (5th round 2010), from Yorba Linda, California, led Team Blue scoring 3 times and adding an assist, while Dalibor Bortnak tallied a goal and two assists for the winners. Brandon Underwood had a goal and an assist for Team White.

There were a few roster moves following Day 3 of training camp. The hockey club has reassigned Clayton Chingee, Connor Bebb, and Mackenzie Ferner (8th round 2010) to get down to 58 players.

Day 4 of training camp features two games tomorrow at 10am Team White plays Team Orange, and at 6pm Team Orange will face off against Team White. All the games will be held at the McArthur Island Sports Centre.

The annual Blue vs. White game will be held on Tuesday, August 31st 7pm at the McArthur Island Sports Centre.

SCRIMMAGE #7 at 5PM, Sunday, August 23, 2009

Team Blue 5, Team White 4

Goal Scorers

Blue
Chase Souto (3), Brady Gaudet, Dalibor Bortnak

White
Lyndon Martell, Matthew Needham, Brandon Underwood, Shawn Mueller

Goalies

Blue
Troy Trombley 10/13, Taran Kozun 11/12

White
Blake Alexander 9/10, Scott Lapp 12/15

Tomorrow's Schedule

MONDAY, AUGUST 30, 2010

10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Game – Orange vs. White

6:00 PM – 8:00PM
Game – Blue vs. Orange

scamperdog
08-30-2010, 06:30 PM
By GREGG DRINNAN
Daily News Sports Editor www.kamloopsnews.ca

It was the noted left-winger Thomas Alva Edison who is credited with saying that “opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”

Jon Groenheyde may not have spent the summer in overalls and work boots, but he definitely put in a lot of work in preparation for his third WHL season with the Kamloops Blazers.

Work? He worked with a goaltending coach, a mental coach and a strength coach.

“I’ve been working really hard,” the 19-year-old from Surrey said Friday before hitting the ice for a training camp session at the McArthur Island Sport and Event Centre. “I feel good. I worked hard over the summer.”

Groenheyde is well aware of the opportunity facing him. He is the only veteran goaltender on the Blazers’ roster and it looks like he will be the starter when the season arrives.

“It’s a great opportunity for him,” head coach Guy Charron said. “We’re certainly not from the get-go going to believe that he can’t do it. He’ll be given the opportunity.

“I think he has the ability to do it.”

The fact that Groenheyde has been working with goaltending and strength coaches comes as no surprise; after all, most goaltenders do just that. But it says something that he realized the need to adjust his mental approach.

“I have to calm myself down on the ice and become more consistent,” offered the 6-foot-4, 201-pound Groenheyde.

At the same time, however, he doesn’t want to completely douse the fire in his belly.

“We worked a lot on that,” he said. “It was more on not losing the competitiveness and aggressiveness in my game. . . . More calming myself down and working on not engaging in things that aren’t necessary.”

In the not-so-distant past, opposing teams have been able to get the excitable Groenheyde off his game just by treating the crease like Notre Dame and Columbia at 5:30 p.m.

“Little pokes after the whistle . . . . it’s not necessary (that I get involved),” he continued. “I realized that over the summer and we worked a lot on that.”

The plan, then, is for Groenheyde to take that energy and redirect it toward stopping the puck.

Last season, while playing behind Justin Leclerc and then Kurtis Mucha, both 20-year-olds, Groenheyde went 10-14-1-1 with a 3.79 GAA and a .896 save percentage. He got into 31 games, starting 26 and finishing 22 of those.

In 2008-09, while backing up Leclerc, Groenheyde was 4-11-0-1 with a 4.66 GAA and a .873 save percentage. Three of the victories came during a stretch from Dec. 29 to Jan. 7 when he started four of five games and went 3-1-0-0. However, he made only six more appearances after Jan. 7.

“I honestly don’t know,” Groenheyde said when asked why then-head coach Barry Smith all but ignored him for the season’s last 10 weeks. “I guess it’s just the way it goes sometimes.

“Justin was an older guy at the time. Maybe they wanted to give him a chance to get in a groove. Maybe he wasn’t playing the way he should be and they wanted to get him back in a groove for playoffs.

“Now that I’m older I hope I get the same respect if things aren’t going my way . . . to get more of a chance to get back in a groove.”

The way Charron has it figured, Groenheyde is going to get that chance.

“This is an opportunity for him to be an important part of the goaltending,” Charron said. “Whether we want to use the expression No. 1 or not . . . but the guy we can lean on. He has that chance.

“We can’t take that away from him until he takes it away from himself.”

CAMP NOTES: The Blazers got through Day 1 of camp without any injuries to report. . . . In the first rookie scrimmage last night, Team Blue got two goals from F Cole Ully of Calgary in beating Team White, 5-2. In the second game, F Chase Souto of Yorba Linda, Calif., scored twice to help Team Orange beat Team Black, 5-4. F Evan Ingram of Olds, Alta., had two goals for the losers. All the scorers and goaltenders are in Scoreboard. . . . Tim O’Donovan, the Blazers’ media man, reports that rookie camp features 72 players, 45 of them from B.C. Also represented are Saskatchewan (11), Alberta (10), U.S. (4) and Manitoba (2). . . . There are 29 players in the main camp bunch, represented by B.C. (11), Alberta (6), Saskatchewan (6), U.S. (3), Germany (1), Manitoba (1) and Slovakia (1). . . . G Troy Trombley, 16, checked into camp at 6-foot-6 and 187 pounds. Trombley, who has signed, and Taran Kozun, 16, of Nipawin, Sask., are vying for the backup spot behind Groenheyde. . . . Trombley is the tallest player in camp. D Haden Hoover, a 15-year-old from Kamloops, is 6-foot-4. Groenheyde, F Dalibor Bortnak and D Corey Fienhage measured out at 6-foot-4. . . . The heaviest player? That honour goes to Fienhage, at 220 pounds. . . . Former Blazers head coach Ken Hitchcock, now in a consulting role with Columbus after being fired by the Blue Jackets last season, is expected to spend Sunday and Monday in camp with the Vancouver Giants. Of course, he and Giants head coach Don Hay are long-time friends. . . . Former NHL D Murray Baron was one of the guest coaches helping out the Blazers on Friday.

gdrinnan@kamloopsnews.ca

gdrinnan.blogspot.com

scamperdog
09-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Daily News Sports Reporter www.kamloopsnews.ca

The Kamloops Blazers exploded for five third-period goals Friday night as they beat the Chilliwack Bruins 8-3 before 370 fans at the Art Holding Memorial Arena in Chase.

It was the first game of the exhibition season for both teams. They are to meet again tonight, 7 o’clock, in Mission.

“The effort was excellent,” Kamloops head coach Guy Charron said. “We played hard. The kids played well. I was really pleased with our young players. They battled their hearts out.”

Bernhard Keil, the Blazers’ lone selection in the 2010 CHL import draft, scored twice, once shorthanded, and set up another goal. Sophomore forwards Rhyse Dieno and JC Lipon each scored once, as did newcomers Lyndon Martell, Aspen Sterzer and Landon Cross.

Dieno, who didn’t score in 16 games last season, had four goals in Tuesday’s intrasquad game.

“That’s the kind of thing he has to do to make an impact on this team,” Charron said. “Everybody has to raise their games and they’ll get plenty of opportunities during the exhibition games.”

Chase Souto, a 16-year-old forward from Yorba Linda, Calif., didn’t score, but was feisty and got into a scrap with Blair Wentworth, an 18-year-old veteran from Calgary.

“As a 16-year-old, Souto held his ground,” Charron said. “He was a good presence for us.”

Veteran defenceman Josh Caron had the Blazers’ other goal and was in the game’s only other scrap, with forward Tim Traber.

Defenceman Corey Fienhage of the Blazers drew three assists.

Kamloops goaltender Jon Groenheyde went the distance, stopping 30 shots.

“He played well,” Charron said. “There were times where we were shaky in our end and he was able to make the saves. There are no complaints with his play tonight.”

Kamloops native Lucas Gore started in goal for the Bruins and stopped 23 of 26 shots. Cole Holowenko, a 17-year-old from Penticton, finished up, stopping 18 of 23 shots.

JUST NOTES: G Troy Trombley, the 16-year-old from Sherwood Park, Alta., will start for the Blazers tonight in Mission. . . . The Blazers dressed 10 veterans; the Bruins dressed nine. . . . Next weekend, the Blazers go home-and-home with the Kelowna Rockets. They’ll play at Interior Savings Centre on Friday and in the Little Apple the next night.