PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp 2010 - Surprising & Not So Surprising

Raider Believer
08-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Day1

The Black Team practised at 5:15 LPM

Some players are practice players and others are game players or both, but from this observer's eyes the following players looked great or surprisingly good:

Mark McNeil was in a class of his own. He looked great.
Beau Stewart was surprisingly good. And I wasn't expecting much.
Sebastian Svendsen looked quick and shifty.
Rowley & Hrynyk looked solid, especially Rowley.

And then there is the other side of the coin:

Tucker looked rusty and not terrific.
Sutton & Waseylenko need work on skating.
I was disappointed with the two 95s in this group. Smallish and not impressive.

Gold Team versus Green Team at 6:30 PM

Top Forwards:

Herrod, Maylan, Danyluk, MacKenzie & Paslawski. Herrod was tricky, skilled and scored a bunch. Danyluk was surprisingly strong and creative, Maylan a very complete game and tenacious, MacKenzie fast and physically aggressive, Paslawski (who heard of him) was all around decent. Fiddler was invisible and then scored a snipers goal.

Would like to see more from Parker and Balson was a disappointment as was Herle.

On Defense:

Deck, Bettauer, Bourhis & Button all looked strong and steady. Bourhis played some forward and didn't look out of place, I think he's a keeper.
Yaworski & Ruopp need to have better outings.

Goaltending: Eric Williams by far the best of the bunch, not even a close call.

Sabes
08-27-2010, 06:45 AM
I agree with both pretty much

Raider Believer
08-27-2010, 01:07 PM
game #2
team Black
Mcneill, Reddin , Mahura and Lorange looked good all game , but the player of the game imo was Arwvn Atwal. Atwal was physical and strong at both eds of the ice . Laid a big hit on Parker and then ended up dropping the gloves with the 19 year old power forward. Parker got the best of Atwal but is 4 years older. Atwal was cut open bad but never missed a shift. Tucker also looked very good .
team Green
Parker had a real strong game as did Herle. Balson , MAckenzie and Danyluk also played well. Both Williams and Phaneuf played well in goal but not as well as Tucker.

Gotta agree with most of what you said except I thought Mahura and Lorange were not overly impressive and I thought Herle was ineffective and Balson was terrible, always way behind the play, just not able to keep up. I was disappointed that Parker who is 4 years older than Atwal would have engaged in a fight with him. McNeil, Reddin, MacKenzie & Danyluk all did their thing and did it well. And as you said, Williams, Tucker and Phaneuf were all good but I thought Williams outshone them all.
I was disappointed in Stewart and Waseylenko. Stewart needs to get stronger and Waseylenko just isn't there yet. Yaworski and Ruopp are doing their best to play themselves off the team.

Sabes
08-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Atwal really impressed me also, might have been the best d-man out there this morning. Parker and Herle both played decent. Mahura showed some nice hands. Williams took the lead in the goaltending department. Paslawski was almost invisible today. Agree with Yaworski and Ruopp not looking too great. Danyluk has been the best rookie. Also impressed in how much Farge gets involved.

Raider Believer
08-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Atwal really impressed me also, might have been the best d-man out there this morning. Parker and Herle both played decent. Mahura showed some nice hands. Williams took the lead in the goaltending department. Paslawski was almost invisible today. Agree with Yaworski and Ruopp not looking too great. Danyluk has been the best rookie. Also impressed in how much Farge gets involved.

So far I like Atwal and Farge better than any of the other 95 draft picks.
Danyluk is definitely the best of the 94 draft class.
I'm starting to think there might be some surprises on defense and maybe even one or two up front.

pahockeyscout
08-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Gotta agree with most of what you said except I thought Mahura and Lorange were not overly impressive and I thought Herle was ineffective and Balson was terrible, always way behind the play, just not able to keep up. I was disappointed that Parker who is 4 years older than Atwal would have engaged in a fight with him. McNeil, Reddin, MacKenzie & Danyluk all did their thing and did it well. And as you said, Williams, Tucker and Phaneuf were all good but I thought Williams outshone them all.
I was disappointed in Stewart and Waseylenko. Stewart needs to get stronger and Waseylenko just isn't there yet. Yaworski and Ruopp are doing their best to play themselves off the team.

I would have to agreee! McNeil and Reddin definitely did their thing. Saw Reddin yesterday off ice and he looked the best in shape. You could tell he has been working out this summer and ready to earn that overage spot. Would love to see McNeil/Reddin step it up and be leaders!

Great fight!

Sabes
08-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Forwards
Revenko
Herrod
Maylan
Mcneill
Danyluk
Parker
Winther
Mackenzie
Svendsen
Herle
Paslawski
Fiddler
Stewart
Braid

* Balson could beat out Braid due to experience

Defense(8)

Deck
Rowley
Button
Hrynyk
Berry
Bourhis
Ruopp
Yaworski - Could be used at forward too

Goalies

Tucker
Williams - has the edge right now IMO
Edwards

Raider Believer
08-29-2010, 05:09 PM
12 Reasons Why I'm not the GM for the Raiders:

1. Tucker and Williams would have been named the two tenders by now
so the other two would have a chance of catching on elsewhere.
2. Balson would have been jettisoned. He looked better last year. In the
intersquad game he was with Maylan and Herrod and still looked aweful.
3. Herle at center during the intersquad? What a joke. There must be a better
fourth line candidate.
4. Yaworski needs to take his act somewhere else, he fights and loses and
that's it. No hockey sense.
5. Is Danyluk signed? If he isn't I'd be worried that he is doing what he needs
to do to stay NCAA eligible i.e. ankle injury? No exhibitions...
6. I'd worry why everyone wants to fight Maylan.... are there dressingroom
issues?
7. I'd sign and committ to Paslawski right now!
8. I'd be talking up Bourhis a lot, cause it doesn't look like Fiddler is all that.
9. I'd offer Bettauer a contract and an everyday spot in the lineup
10. I'd teach Parker that there's only one puck on the ice and he needs to
share!
11. I'd sign Matt Berry-Lamontagna and suggest he find a nickname
12. Find an emigration lawyer in Belarus to expediate Revenko's arrival

pr1993
08-29-2010, 08:21 PM
12 Reasons Why I'm not the GM for the Raiders:

1. Tucker and Williams would have been named the two tenders by now
so the other two would have a chance of catching on elsewhere.
2. Balson would have been jettisoned. He looked better last year. In the
intersquad game he was with Maylan and Herrod and still looked aweful.
3. Herle at center during the intersquad? What a joke. There must be a better
fourth line candidate.
4. Yaworski needs to take his act somewhere else, he fights and loses and
that's it. No hockey sense.
5. Is Danyluk signed? If he isn't I'd be worried that he is doing what he needs
to do to stay NCAA eligible i.e. ankle injury? No exhibitions...
6. I'd worry why everyone wants to fight Maylan.... are there dressingroom
issues?
7. I'd sign and committ to Paslawski right now!
8. I'd be talking up Bourhis a lot, cause it doesn't look like Fiddler is all that.
9. I'd offer Bettauer a contract and an everyday spot in the lineup
10. I'd teach Parker that there's only one puck on the ice and he needs to
share!
11. I'd sign Matt Berry-Lamontagna and suggest he find a nickname
12. Find an emigration lawyer in Belarus to expediate Revenko's arrival

Danyluk signed last year

http://www.raiderhockey.com/news/releases/index.html?article_id=472

Trav
08-30-2010, 01:49 AM
According to Greg Drinnan's blog, Eric Williams will be the backup to Tucker.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/

Wildeyes
08-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Raiders down to 32 after Training Camp

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan – The Prince Albert Raiders will begin the Western Hockey League exhibition season this week with 32 players still on their roster after completing training camp yesterday afternoon at the Art Hauser Centre. They currently have 3 goaltenders, 11 defencemen and 18 forwards still on their pre-season roster.
19 year-old Jamie Tucker is joined by two rookies, 17 year-old Eric Williams and 16 year old Brenden Fiebelkorn among goalies.
On defence, 20 year-old’s Nathan Deck and Jordan Rowley lead a strong contingent. 19 year-old James Bettauer, 18 year-old Austin Bourhis and 17 year-olds Matt Waseylenko and Mathew Berry-Lamontagna are also still in camp. 15 year-old Josh Morrissey, the Raiders 1st round selection in the 2010 Bantam Draft will see some exhibition action. Other returnees include: 19 year-old Ryan Button, 18 year-olds Emerson Hrynyk and Tyler Yaworski and 17 year-old Harrison Ruopp.
On the forward lines, 20 year-olds Colin Reddin and Igor Revenko are the veterans. Other returnees include 19 year-olds Andrew Herle, Brandon Herrod, Jonathon Parker, Justin Maylan and Sebastian Svendsen. The lone 18 year-old is newcomer Tyler Paslawski. 17 year-old forward Mark McNeill is the lone returnee among the younger forwards which includes other 17 year-olds Brock Balson, Marc MacKenzie, Todd Fiddler and TJ Constant along with 16 year-olds Chance Braid, Mike Winther, Shane Danyluk and Brent Lashuk. 15 year-old Luke Mahura, the Raiders 2nd round selection in 2010 also will see exhibition action.

Lashuk and Danyluk are both injured while Revenko is expected to arrive from Belarus later this week.

Players reassigned after the inter squad game yesterday were: goaltender Jacob Edwards (18), defencemen Connor Sutton (16), Sawyer Lange (16), Arvin Atwal (15) and Tyler Dea (15) and forwards Matt Dochylo (19), Tyson Dallman (17), Allen Kilback (17), Justin Lund (16), Colby Daniels (16), Jeff Kennedy (16), Regan Yew (15), Sebastian Auray (15), Braeden Farge (15) and Michael Lorange (15).

The Raiders open their pre-season hosting the Saskatoon Blades Wednesday at 7:00 PM at the Art Hauser Centre before taking on the Blades in Martensville Friday at 7:00PM. All pre-season games are broadcast live on Today’s Country 900 CKBI

Raider Believer
08-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Edwards has already been released....I dont understand it but he has. The kid had a great camp and some whl team should be giving him a long look.What I dont understand is what Balson did to stay .... Beau Stewart played twice as well as Balson .

I've already said that Williams is the guy so I'm not surprised by Edward's release. I'll even go further than that and say that by Christmas we might very well see Williams as the #1 netminder for this club!

As for Balson, I totally agree with you. Stewart did show more. Maybe Bruno is just giving him (Balson) one last chance to show what he's got in the exhibitions. IMO he is just way too slow and not engaged in the play enough. He seems almost disinterested at times, several times in yesterday's intersquad game he was 2 zones behind the play and making no attempt to catch up.

I am relieved that Danyluk is a signed player. I think he's going to be very exciting to watch in the years to come.

Attention: Raiderfan15, you jumped all over me about my earlier comments regarding Herle and Parker. Please look at last season's stats. Herle took a whole season to put up a total of 6 points! Parker had the worst plus/minus totals on the team! You can teach players how to PK and check. You can't teach them size, and its a lot tougher to teach hockey intelligence, scoring, skating. And yes I am concerned about size and grit. Despite Bruno's assertions that this team is going to be tougher ..... Winther, Danyluk, Svendson are not big men. You seem to have Winther and Danyluk playing very high up in the order. IMO they are going to get knocked around and injured a lot. Even our star vets are not that big and aggressive i.e. Herrod, Maylan, Revenko. That leaves McNeill and possibly newcomer MacKenzie if he makes the team as the only real power forward types.

Raider Believer
08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Did I say Herle should make the team to play 1st line ? no I said that hes a great penalty killer and checker who cares if he had 6 points in that roll. And PArker was one of the best forwards all camp and I think if he plays 2nd line time will be a important part of the team. Last year he got pushed into a roll he was comfortable in forsure.And check your facts he was a -18 with Seatle last year and a PLUS 1 with the Raiders. The only forwards with a better plus minus were Herrod and Mccallum

The problem with a guy like Parker is he's neither fish nor fowl. In other words, he's too skilled to be a fourth liner and not smart enough or reading the ice well enough to be playing the first two lines. He needs to define himself as a player. And yes, he does need to use his teammates way more.

Raider Believer
08-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Well its obviously personal since you cant call a spade a spade or give credit where it is due. Try explaining how he had that plus minus while never playing with Herrod or Mccallum while all other forwards were well in the minus side?

Its not personal at all, he's one of the players I've never met. You have conveniently neglected to mention that in the 29 games he played here he had a grand total of 4 points. To be honest, I expect that Bruno will showcase him and then trade him by Christmas in order to get some of the younger guys playing higher up in the order.

Raider Believer
08-30-2010, 12:44 PM
He played 3rd and 4th line. And like I said its a roll he wasent used to. You didn't mention how you came on here saying he had the worst plus minus on the team when it was really almost the best among forwards

I looked at his whole season rather than just the 29 games he played here with PA. In 40 games with Seattle he had 26 points and was a minus 18. His best season was as a 17 year old when he had 39 points in 65 games and was only -3. This past June he was eligible for the NHL draft due to his late '91 birthday.
The tag on him from many of the scouts is that he didn't distribute the puck effectively. Hmmm... now that's what I said and you jumped all over me. I think he needs to define his game. I still think he was a good pick up for us and that Bruno did well to trade for him, but I think with his skill sets he can do a lot more. And it would be helpful raiderfan15 if every time a person disagrees with you that you would stop claiming that their point of view is motivated by personal issues.

NB* I have it on a very, very good source that Brock Balson despite a very weak camp will be playing on this team. Not a good thing IMO

Raider Believer
08-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Provisional Projected Lineup

Goalies:

Tucker
Williams

Defense:

Button
Deck
Rowley
Bourhis
Bettauer
Hrynyk
Berry-Lamontagna
Ruopp

Forwards:

Revenko
Herrod
McNeill
Maylan
Parker
(the next 5 are interchangable on depth chart, depending on what you want)
Danyluk
MacKenzie
Winther
Svendsen
Paslawski

Herle
Fiddler
Balson

*NB* Yaworski will be released or traded IMO. If Chase Braid makes the squad, and I think this is unlikely with two other 16 year olds in the lineup, then I suspect Herle may be released.

Wildeyes
08-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Chase Braid wont make the team. Unless he get tougher and not scared. Chase likes to hit but when push comes to shove he wont back it up. At the camp he was throwing his body around. But asked to fight to back it up he wouldn't his response was well... maybe.. I don't know.... well see...Then he would skate away.

Raider Believer
08-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Chase Braid wont make the team. Unless he get tougher and not scared. Chase likes to hit but when push comes to shove he wont back it up. At the camp he was throwing his body around. But asked to fight to back it up he wouldn't his response was well... maybe.. I don't know.... well see...Then he would skate away.

I also would be surprised if Bruno kept 3 young 16 year olds in the forward corps.
Who do you see being on the team at the end of the day? And how do you think they'll be used?

Who will be the big surprise this season?

Dwight Schrute
08-30-2010, 08:55 PM
anyone think trading button to free up a d spot wouldbe smart ?

TinCupJoe
08-30-2010, 10:12 PM
How has Button looked this past weekend?

hockeyfan123
08-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Whats the status of Jordan Trach?

Wildeyes
08-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Jordan Retired from hockey. He did that about 2 years ago. To many Concussions.

Raider Believer
08-31-2010, 09:52 AM
Provisional Projected Lineup

Goalies:

Tucker
Williams

Defense:

Button
Deck
Rowley
Bourhis
Bettauer
Hrynyk
Berry-Lamontagna
Ruopp

Forwards:

Revenko
Herrod
McNeill
Maylan
Parker
(the next 5 are interchangable on depth chart, depending on what you want)
Danyluk
MacKenzie
Winther
Svendsen
Paslawski

Herle
Fiddler
Balson

*NB* Yaworski will be released or traded IMO. If Chase Braid makes the squad, and I think this is unlikely with two other 16 year olds in the lineup, then I suspect Herle may be released.

Another possibility, and given Bruno's fondness for fighters, maybe Yaworski stays as a forward and Herle gets released. Yaworski would then be able to be inserted on the d-line for certain situations.

I like raiderfan15's idea of packaging Button with something else to bring in a top shelf winger. Brandon needs to restock after depleting their resources last season to make a run at the Memorial Cup, maybe a package of Button, Parker, Fiddler & Balson with a 3rd round pick might entice them. I think it will take at least this to get their attention. And IMO we can afford this.

EOK1
08-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Jordan Kochan in camp with the Oil Kings and David Dotan is in camp with the Giants.

Raider Believer
09-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Reddin is gone to thrPats for a 6th

Bruno did well to get a sixth rounder for him.

The first exhibition game was a good start. We fell short in the shootout but it was good hard hockey for 3 periods. I thought the following stood out:

Eric Williams was absolutely unbelievable!
The Maylan, Svendson, MacKenzie line was very effective and a plus 2 for the night. McNeill was excellent and very strong on the puck. Ruopp gave Siemens a good ass kicking and rearranged his features a little! Good to see! Morrissey showed a lot of poise and read the play well. Herle brought a lot of energy.

Raider Believer
09-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Guys who need to pull up their socks:

Bettauer did not have a strong game Wednesday night against the Blades. He maybe left the door open a crack for Yaworski to punch back into the lineup. Should be a good tilt between the Yawrockski and Dunc on Friday nite in the Toon!

Balson is going to be a wealthy young man in the not too distant future. There has got to be an eager market for the invisible cloaking device he has discovered and managed to exhibit throughout camp and last nights game.

Paslawski must have been reading chapter 9 of Mother Teresa's biography before last nights game. He looked like the poster boy for pacifism.

Fiddler needs a formal introduction to the defensive side of the puck.

Dwight Schrute
09-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I noticed Constant around the puck and carrying the puck alot more last night then he did in any of the other scrimages. Balson was still M.I.A. Where Bruno got that he was gritty I will never know. I thought Hrynyk was pretty good and Willliams was unreal.

i agree pretty much, real dissapointed in fiddler, hopefully he picks it up. thought bettauer looked good.

best fight in a while

Dwight Schrute
09-04-2010, 09:24 AM
fiddler had another poor outing, constant, braid, gaspar, and berry-lamontagna looked real good. balson had his cloaking device on again. bouhris played real well.
were the raiders planning on pk'ing the whole preseason ? musta took a dozen penalties each game. it was like playing the wheatkings.

Raider Believer
09-05-2010, 10:12 AM
fiddler had another poor outing, constant, braid, gaspar, and berry-lamontagna looked real good. balson had his cloaking device on again. bouhris played real well.
were the raiders planning on pk'ing the whole preseason ? musta took a dozen penalties each game. it was like playing the wheatkings.

I've deliberately not made any comments ..... maybe invoking the 24 hour rule, cause it's hard not to be discouraged after Friday night's game.
I agree with you Dwight, Fiddler showed once again that he is just not ready, which is scary cause we gave up Harrison for him, and if Fiddler isn't ready now, what are the odds he'll be an impact guy at 18? And Balson did his usual invisible act, but I ask .... where was Winther? We know Danyluk is on the shelf with an injury for probably a minimum of 3 more weeks. Hmmm.... this leaves us with a bunch of question marks around the vaunted youth movement. The good news is that Revenko is back. And at least we know our defense is pretty solid. Altho I keep on having a sneaking suspicion that Bruno might have to dip into the back end to engineer some trades and bolster the forwards. Also good news is that McNeill seems ready to take the next step into stardom and MacKenzie is everything we were lead to believe and maybe more. It also looks like Herrod is poised for another stellar season. And maybe the biggest news is the emergence of Eric Williams as a legitimate threat to take over the #1 spot. My concern is the readiness of the young guys. They got knocked around out there both Wed and Fri. Other than MacKenzie, none of them seemed prepared to handle the rough going. The score on Wednesday flattered the Raiders. In fact they were badly outplayed and were only competitive because of the heroic efforts of Williams between the pipes. Friday's game was an embarrassment, outshot, outhit and outplayed. Long term I am worried. Unless Bruno pulls some magic trades the team will not make the playoffs with this group. I can already hear Raiderfan15 saying that I'm an alarmist and that I've got to give the young guys a chance. My answer is simple: We don't have the time and points to waste in a tough eastern conference. Poor performance equals poor attendance which equals losses at the box office which equals moving outta town. Can you spell PENTICTON? And while I'm on a roll of questioning what the hell is going on ..... let me ask, how did our 94s stack up against Olsen of the Blades? How did our 95s stack up against Nikkel of the Blades. I have my opinion ... which is why I'm considering changing my name from Believer to Skeptic.

Trav
09-05-2010, 12:17 PM
I went to the game on Friday night, for a few reasons, see Winther, Williams who didn't play and Fiddler. While I think Winther will be a pretty good player for you guys, the only time I noticed Fiddler was in warm ups when I was looking for his number. During the game I didn't notice him and I was quite surprised, seeing that he dominated in the midget league last winter and played for team west at the U17 tournament. Not trying to take shots at your guy's team but I didn't notice really anyone from your Raiders which was a bit surprising. I didn't think the Blades would outplay them in every category but we do gotta keep in mind though that the Raiders didn't have their regular lineup out on the ice, same could be said bout the Blades. I think this year it'll be a good battle between our two teams.

I gotta question why Braid was re-assigned, he was actually one player I did notice a bit, Winther being the other.

Dwight Schrute
09-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Braid was reassigned so they could have room for Balson ......:eek:

braid played 3x better fri then wed
winther didnt play bad didnt get a lot of ice. gaspar was by far the best forward. bourhis has been a good dman, and mckenzie is a solid addition. but fiddler and balson dont deserve to play at this level. i think we will continue to see more and more 18 or 19 year old rookies, and 19 year old reclaimation projects (bettauer) as bruno cant develop young guys.

and raider believer maybe you should just try to enjoy the raiders while they are still in pa. i fully believe that bruno will dig this team a grave they wont recover from and will leave pa. but it does no good to bring it up. just enjoy this team while they are here.

Dwight Schrute
09-05-2010, 04:52 PM
yah the only hope is putting up a great year within the next 3 years. What can you tell us about the new kid at camp ?

like a little bigger more skilled herle, forechecked hard all game, good skater. by far the best forward for pa......troy gasper is who im talkin about

Raider Believer
09-05-2010, 07:40 PM
yah I have heard the same thing from 3 people about him. Seems to be a good crop of free agents Bruno brought in . Lamontagna, Bettauer, Paslawski , and now Gaspar.

Gaspar did look pretty good. Aggressive and tough on the check. The description comparing him to a larger Herle was a good one. Maybe he will be the ultimate replacement for Balson who was worse than ever ... a minus 4 on the night. They moved Balson around on the lines and whatever line he was on looked like it was short handed and always got scored on. What's worse is that Balson looked like he didn't even care.

EOK1
09-05-2010, 09:04 PM
yah I have heard the same thing from 3 people about him. Seems to be a good crop of free agents Bruno brought in . Berry - Lamontge , Bettauer, Pawlaski , and now Gaspar.

Let's get everyone's leftover scraps and get excited about it! :rolleyes:

Also, you think you could attempt to correctly spell the players' names right? You look uneducated.

EOK1
09-05-2010, 10:12 PM
can you please bring something to the board besides trolling?

http://images.mmosite.com/news/2009/12/18/troll/troll3.jpg

Dwight Schrute
09-05-2010, 10:32 PM

not exactly what the board needs

Raider Believer
09-05-2010, 10:36 PM
TJ Constant released today. This leaves just one more forward to be jettisoned. Probably one of either Balson, Paslawski, Fiddler or Gaspar. Based on performance, I'm hoping that Gaspar and Paslawski are safe.

Sabes
09-05-2010, 10:47 PM
TJ Constant released today. This leaves just one more forward to be jettisoned. Probably one of either Balson, Paslawski, Fiddler or Gaspar. Based on performance, I'm hoping that Gaspar and Paslawski are safe.

Based on performace so far I'm hoping it's Balson

Dwight Schrute
09-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Based on performace so far I'm hoping it's Balson

:confused:

Sabes
09-05-2010, 10:56 PM
:confused:

I'm wanting Balson to be gone I meant

Dwight Schrute
09-05-2010, 11:36 PM
so far there hasent been a cut that Balson has out performed on any scrimmage.... mainly because he has been the worst , and most disinterested player out there.

at least mckenzie has lived up to his billing

Sabes
09-07-2010, 07:19 AM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/Sports/Hockey/2010-09-07/article-1729202/Raiders-farm-Waseylenko-to-Camrose/1

Dwight Schrute
09-07-2010, 12:30 PM
so this is what i think is left here

Goalie
Tucker
Williams

Defence
Rowley
Button
Deck
Hrynyk
Yaworski
Bettauer
Bourhis
Berry lamontagna
Ruopp

Forwards
Svendsen
Mcneill
Herrod
Maylan
Fiddler
Winther
Herle
Parker
Paslawski
Balson
Mackenzie
Danyluk
Gaspar
revenko

id be shopping button for a good 93 or 94 winger or dman with size. id also cut balson. yaworski stays as a 4th ine wing/utility player

Wildeyes
09-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Rumor has that a 20 yr old goalie from the west might make his way to PA. Just a rumor nothing confirmed yet

Raiderfan8
09-07-2010, 05:07 PM
I kind of hope we keep are 20 year old's the way they are. I just hope Herle is cut soon because I hate watching a 19 year old that is no help to the team take up a spot on the roster.

Dwight Schrute
09-07-2010, 05:37 PM
I kind of hope we keep are 20 year old's the way they are. I just hope Herle is cut soon because I hate watching a 19 year old that is no help to the team take up a spot on the roster.

seriously i dont get the hate on the guy. gritty and hits skates well and is good on the pk. put him on a 3-4 line he will gladly step in for the young guys. if he were a overage i could see not wanting him. but really who is he robbing ice time from ? balson ? fiddler?

westbeach55
09-07-2010, 06:14 PM
relax on fiddler we preach how we dont develop young guys lets give him a chance two pre season games and were ready to run him out of town. have to admit it is frustrating watching him right now and being a raider fan just saying give him a chance

Dwight Schrute
09-07-2010, 06:24 PM
relax on fiddler we preach how we dont develop young guys lets give him a chance two pre season games and were ready to run him out of town. have to admit it is frustrating watching him right now and being a raider fan just saying give him a chance

while fiddler no doubt has been dissapointing he also is highly skilled. i dont think anyone questions his skill level. ive seen fiddler play about 6x last year plus 2 preseason games this year. i really hope he can pick it up

westbeach55
09-07-2010, 09:42 PM
yeah me too thats all i was getting at, revenko took some time to settle in hopefully fiddler can too

while fiddler no doubt has been dissapointing he also is highly skilled. i dont think anyone questions his skill level. ive seen fiddler play about 6x last year plus 2 preseason games this year. i really hope he can pick it up

Raider Believer
09-07-2010, 11:21 PM
so this is what i think is left here

Goalie
Tucker
Williams

Defence
Rowley
Button
Deck
Hrynyk
Yaworski
Bettauer
Bourhis
Berry lamontagna
Ruopp

Forwards
Svendsen
Mcneill
Herrod
Maylan
Fiddler
Winther
Herle
Parker
Paslawski
Balson
Mackenzie
Danyluk
Gaspar
revenko

id be shopping button for a good 93 or 94 winger or dman with size. id also cut balson. yaworski stays as a 4th ine wing/utility player

I totally agree with you. I'd even go a big step further and package Button with Tucker and one of the forwards like Balson or Fiddler. I'd try to land a 92ish big power forward who can play on the top 2 lines and get 65 to 80 points. I truly believe that Williams is the best goalie we have and I'd look at developing another 93 or even 94 tender to back up Williams. I wonder what it would take to pry Jansen out of Vancouver??

Dwight Schrute
09-08-2010, 12:11 AM
I totally agree with you. I'd even go a big step further and package Button with Tucker and one of the forwards like Balson or Fiddler. I'd try to land a 92ish big power forward who can play on the top 2 lines and get 65 to 80 points. I truly believe that Williams is the best goalie we have and I'd look at developing another 93 or even 94 tender to back up Williams. I wonder what it would take to pry Jansen out of Vancouver??

problem is not to many of them are available.

Arthur Fonzerelli
09-08-2010, 08:42 AM
I wonder what it would take to pry Jansen out of Vancouver??

Jensen is having a great camp with the Giants, he could potentially unseat Tendler for the backup spot. Don Hay has penciled in Segal as the starter.

Dwight Schrute
09-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Inglis would have been the type to go for. But I dont think Bruno would roll the dice with his problems after Penner

after penner im glad he didnt

jnofish1
09-08-2010, 11:57 AM

sounds like a dylan wruck too me!!!!!!

Raider Believer
09-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Inglis would have been the type to go for. But I dont think Bruno would roll the dice with his problems after Penner

Rolling the dice for Inglis would have been a bold move. But its a move I would have made. Inglis is a proven player and would have contributed right away. Sometimes the dynamics of the team and the leadership of the team can/will help support a player with 'issues'. We maybe could have packaged Balson and maybe a third rounder and a sixth rounder. At worse, he would have flamed out here and the only real asset we would have lost is a third and sixth round pick .... we've done worse before. It'll be interesting to see how he (Inglis) does in PG. I wish him the best.

Dwight Schrute
09-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Rolling the dice for Inglis would have been a bold move. But its a move I would have made. Inglis is a proven player and would have contributed right away. Sometimes the dynamics of the team and the leadership of the team can/will help support a player with 'issues'. We maybe could have packaged Balson and maybe a third rounder and a sixth rounder. At worse, he would have flamed out here and the only real asset we would have lost is a third and sixth round pick .... we've done worse before. It'll be interesting to see how he (Inglis) does in PG. I wish him the best.
last time we got a kid from stoon with character issues he spent 2 years as captain and scored over 30 goals both years

Dwight Schrute
09-08-2010, 05:32 PM
and this one had a boat load more talent then the last one.

you think inglis is that much better then dustin cameron ? other then being a better skater i didnt think there was much differance

Raider Believer
09-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Pretty sure we just go picked to go as a bottom 3 team again this year (for the 3rd year in a row) The positive is all our high picks seem to be working out(finally). And when that happens you wont be at the bottom for long. When teams actually get to see the Raiders 15,16, and 17 year olds they will know its not going to be bad next year or for years after.

I'm not sure who or what group picked us to go bottom three?? I think we're a team that will get stronger and stronger as the season progresses and our youngsters become acclimatized to the league. Assuming of course that Bruno picks the right youngsters (dumps Balson) and makes at least one trade .... packaging one of our dmen with a forward (Parker or draft picks) and acquires a 92ish power forward type.

On the topic of trades... I was impressed by young Sutter of the Blades. I wonder what it would take to get him from the Blades? I think he'd be a really good long term fit here in PA.

Raiderfan8
09-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Austin Conner is now trying out for the Raiders. Campese contacted him before he left for La Ronge. Big forward at 6'4 , 220lbs. Played AAA with Swiftcurrent last year as a 17 year old.

Raiderfan8
09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Ya might be a good pick up ! Had 21 goals last year and over 100 PIM's. I guess he was out in Portland but got homesick and decided to come back and play in Saskatchewan.

Raider Believer
09-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Ya might be a good pick up ! Had 21 goals last year and over 100 PIM's. I guess he was out in Portland but got homesick and decided to come back and play in Saskatchewan.

I've seen this guy play :(. He's got really good size .....

Raider Believer
09-09-2010, 12:54 PM
cough * Ashton Hewsen?

Honestly, an Ashton Hewson type of body in front of the net or for dropping the mitts to defend our skill guys and send out a message would probably be more beneficial than carrying around Balson as the 13th forward. I'm also leaning more towards keeping Yaworski for the same reasons and sending newcomer Matt Berry-Lamontagna back home.

Raider Believer
09-09-2010, 12:57 PM
With Bruno adding these late guys it must mean he is unhappy with a couple of the guys he thought would hold down a spot (Balson and Fiddler ) probably

I really like that Bruno is at least trying to be creative and isn't afraid to shuffle the deck. A few of his listed/free agent players have worked out quite well for us.

Sabes
09-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Honestly, an Ashton Hewson type of body in front of the net or for dropping the mitts to defend our skill guys and send out a message would probably be more beneficial than carrying around Balson as the 13th forward. I'm also leaning more towards keeping Yaworski for the same reasons and sending newcomer Matt Berry-Lamontagna back home.

You must have missed the scrimmage in camp where Berry and McKenzie fought. Berry won the fight and even switched hands on the way bigger McKenzie.

Dwight Schrute
09-09-2010, 05:51 PM
You must have missed the scrimmage in camp where Berry and McKenzie fought. Berry won the fight and even switched hands on the way bigger McKenzie.

berry looks to be as safe as anyone. i saw conner a few times. good pick up.

hewson had a good career in pa. id take him in the bottom 6 anyday.

westbeach55
09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I would keep Matt -Berry anyday over Yaworski. Yaworski look awfull all camp and intersquad game. Matt berry can play hockey and like sabes can drop thegloves when needed

Raider Believer
09-09-2010, 06:04 PM

Actually I did catch that tilt. I too would have give the edge to Berry, but not by much. I like Yaworski because he brings the same game face every night and can also fill in as a forward when called on. He also brings a physicality to the game beyond just the fighting.

I'm also thinking that this team needs to be aware that you can get too young too fast. Lamontagna, MacKenzie are 17 year olds, but not till the end of this year, they are late birthdays and not even draft eligible till 2012 the same as Winther & Danyluk. Then when you add in returnee McNeill and add in Fiddler, Ruopp and possibly Balson ...... hmmm..a very, very young team. Will we be able to compete when so many of them are 16 and barely 17 years old??

Raider Believer
09-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I think they will be able to compete , maybe not for the top of the division. But I do think they will be a top team in a year or 2

A year or two! I sure hope this team catches the imagination of the PA fans and they buy into watching this team develop. Cause if we have too many empty seats ......
The knee jerk reaction would be for the board to fire Bruno. Then the whole damn cycle starts all over again, sweep out the old and bring in the new.... a perpetual rebuild.

TinCupJoe
09-09-2010, 11:34 PM
A year or two! I sure hope this team catches the imagination of the PA fans and they buy into watching this team develop. Cause if we have too many empty seats ......
The knee jerk reaction would be for the board to fire Bruno. Then the whole damn cycle starts all over again, sweep out the old and bring in the new.... a perpetual rebuild.

My first thoughts after seeing them play against Saskatoon...they will make the playoffs. After the second game against Saskatoon...oooohhh, not so sure now!
Anyway if they play like they did last season at home..it will still be great hockey to watch! :clap:Raiders, make this year a real memorable year!:clap:

Raider Believer
09-10-2010, 10:07 AM
My first thoughts after seeing them play against Saskatoon...they will make the playoffs. After the second game against Saskatoon...oooohhh, not so sure now!
Anyway if they play like they did last season at home..it will still be great hockey to watch! :clap:Raiders, make this year a real memorable year!:clap:

I'm thinking that Bruno may wait till Danyluk is all healed up before making the final and last cut(s) to the forward group. Maybe he's hoping that Balson will magically start to skate and play like a WHL player by then. Barring a trade I think the defense is set except for one cut. And I'm thinking that there will be a trade. I read that the Giants are looking for a 20 year old dman ???

Dwight Schrute
09-10-2010, 12:29 PM
i think if Rowley or Deck goes anywhere its going to be for a 20 year old goalie...yuck. Heemskerk would do though

would we really go with an overage goalie for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Raider Believer
09-10-2010, 12:32 PM
i think if Rowley or Deck goes anywhere its going to be for a 20 year old goalie...yuck. Heemskerk would do though

You're right YUK. We don't need a 20 yo goalie. We need a power forward.

Dwight Schrute
09-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I think we need a Hulak type player more then anything.

bernhardt ?
i miss seeing dane byers play more then any forward in the last 5 years

Raider Believer
09-10-2010, 06:01 PM
bernhardt ?
i miss seeing dane byers play more then any forward in the last 5 years

Dane Byers is exactly the type of player we need right now. A 50 point guy with 150 PIM. I can see maybe MacKenzie developing into this type of player, but that's maybe a couple of years away. I'd like to see us ice someone like that right now! On the positive side, watch for McNeill to have a breakout season and Bourhis to become an almost untouchable on this team.

Wildeyes
09-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Heemskerk was one of the goalies rumored.

Raider Believer
09-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Heemskerk was one of the goalies rumored.

Not big on this idea ..... but if they're going to do it, then lets keep Williams and package Tucker to somewhere else.
We seem to have some assets to work with i.e. a fairly deep defensive group and a couple of youngsters that might fit the bill for a rebuilding team.

Wildeyes
09-12-2010, 11:25 PM
sorry it was a typo He was the Goalie

Dwight Schrute
09-13-2010, 02:58 PM
im hard pressed to find 3 better 20's then revenko deck and rowley.
why break up that group for a overage goalie

Arthur Fonzerelli
09-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Tucker's non-commitment to conditioning was a big reason for his falling from grace with Don Hay. He always had it easy in minor hockey only having to compete for a spot when he got to Vancouver. He has the potential to be a very good goalie but the clock is ticking down for him to develop a work ethic.

reims
09-13-2010, 11:12 PM
The only reason I can think of is Tucker has looked awful. He looks slow and out of shape , or maybe hes hurt . But there are no other 20 year old goalies as good as Heemskerk available and he probably wouldnt cost to much. But I agree I do like the 3 20 year olds we have now too.

Maybe you would be Interested in getting stanford back?? I'm pretty sure he's available. And is a quality goaltender

Dwight Schrute
09-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Maybe you would be Interested in getting stanford back?? I'm pretty sure he's available. And is a quality goaltender

you guys need him he is by far the best goalie you have.

Trav
09-13-2010, 11:30 PM
you guys need him he is by far the best goalie you have.

I totally agree, I'd like to see Morrison get moved. The only problem with Stanford is he's 20 and if Zahn, Patterson and Viedensky are all back then Stanford is likely gone.

reims
09-14-2010, 01:44 AM
I totally agree, I'd like to see Morrison get moved. The only problem with Stanford is he's 20 and if Zahn, Patterson and Viedensky are all back then Stanford is likely gone.

i think sumthin would have to go terribly wrong to get patterson back...he already played playoffs last year in the ahl and did very well....zahn and viedensky i can see coming back...with the way acolatse is playing he is gonna make it hard to keep stanford...i really think they are gonna go with morrison and either todd or iwan...they will go with morrison the next 2 years with the young guys getting the odd start here and there...thats my prediction anyways...i would think stanford is being shopped around for sure.

Dwight Schrute
09-14-2010, 10:32 AM

well id look to move an overage to regina like we did with reddin.
calgary lacks centre and prospect depth. i think patterson will play pro. and from viedensky's play in the penticton tourny he may crack the top 6 in worchester.
zahn is also having a good showing in the traverse city tourny.
acolatse i think may be a lock.id try and move boyer or toomey while you can. (to regina).
id go with stanford, acolatse for sure because i dont think you will get more then one of your big 3 back

trading a drafted guy like morrison to a team in $ trouble like pa could happen (to aquire the development fees) i dont want to see that though.

RenegadeStylings
09-14-2010, 12:41 PM
i think sumthin would have to go terribly wrong to get patterson back...he already played playoffs last year in the ahl and did very well....zahn and viedensky i can see coming back...with the way acolatse is playing he is gonna make it hard to keep stanford...i really think they are gonna go with morrison and either todd or iwan...they will go with morrison the next 2 years with the young guys getting the odd start here and there...thats my prediction anyways...i would think stanford is being shopped around for sure.

agree completely.

lordstanley
09-14-2010, 01:31 PM
well id look to move an overage to regina like we did with reddin.
calgary lacks centre and prospect depth. i think patterson will play pro. and from viedensky's play in the penticton tourny he may crack the top 6 in worchester.
zahn is also having a good showing in the traverse city tourny.
acolatse i think may be a lock.id try and move boyer or toomey while you can. (to regina).
id go with stanford, acolatse for sure because i dont think you will get more then one of your big 3 back

trading a drafted guy like morrison to a team in $ trouble like pa could happen (to aquire the development fees) i dont want to see that though.

I completly disagree Stanford ok he's ok but no stud Morrison was actually a 3rd round pick a couple years ago and he started out strong last season before his confidence was shot by Stanford getting all the games when he arrived

As for the 20's Zahn stands no shot at making a AHL team Viedensky ive heard from alot of the Blade brass saying he will be back for his 20 year old season now for Patterson i would say he's 50/50 anything can happen there

My 20's
Viedensky
Zahn Captain
Acolatse

Arthur Fonzerelli
09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
This is the PA section, you 'toon boys get on home now, I think your dinner is ready.

lostsheep
09-14-2010, 06:14 PM
:Dhey this little bit started by offering a good 20yr goalie you know the one you should have kept last year. he happens to be the one i want to keep this year too. oh your right it is my dinner time see ya
________
Cheap 8946 Spring Metal Airsoft Pistol (http://airsoft-shop.info/p/8946-spring-metal-airsoft-pistol/)

lordstanley
09-14-2010, 06:22 PM
This is the PA section, you 'toon boys get on home now, I think your dinner is ready.

I was just correcting a Raider fan on our 20 year old Situation DING DING your dinner is ready too :groovy:

Dwight Schrute
09-15-2010, 01:18 AM
I was just correcting a Raider fan on our 20 year old Situation DING DING your dinner is ready too :groovy:

yeah morrison was picked in the 3rd round after playing what 10 games that year? then lost hist starting spot and hasnt played well when given much icetime. hmmm garrett klotz was a 3rd rounder of phillys....... guess that means he is a quality player too lol......
morrison isnt terrible but he should be lauded as better because philly made the mistake of reaching for him way too early

lordstanley
09-15-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't disagree that Stanford is better but the fact is this years team we need Morrison for the reason that were a little thin for depth on fowards so were gonna need 2 20 year olds up front and a dman on the back end

Morrison will do fine i would personally think he is in the same stature as Guehle Ketlo Liston Tucker and Friesen

Raider Believer
09-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't disagree that Stanford is better but the fact is this years team we need Morrison for the reason that were a little thin for depth on fowards so were gonna need 2 20 year olds up front and a dman on the back end

Morrison will do fine i would personally think he is in the same stature as Guehle Ketlo Liston Tucker and Friesen

We don't need Stanford or any other 20 yo tender. We have Eric Williams, and IMHO he will be the next big star of the Raiders. Tucker will be a serviceable backup.

For all of us who are wondering what Balson is still doing on the team ???? Well Bruno has decided to reward his stellar camp by practicing him on the powerplay during practice. That's gotta be good for team morale.

Dwight Schrute
09-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I know that Fiddler hasent been good this preseason , but I could understand if they put him on the PP just because he has the potential to put up points. But Balson has never shown he has offensive potential. In fact we havent seen any kind of potential out of him. He doesnt back check , he doesnt play in his own end, he doesnt penalty kill well , he doesnt play with any kind of edge. What hes doing to stick with the team I will never see.

giving fiddler pp time might be the jumpstart for his confidence as he definatly has the skills.
balson....... hasnt shown anything gotta wonder why. did he feel he didnt have to work for a spot ? playing injured ? doesnt wanna be there ?

sbtatter
09-15-2010, 08:46 PM
giving fiddler pp time might be the jumpstart for his confidence as he definatly has the skills.
balson....... hasnt shown anything gotta wonder why. did he feel he didnt have to work for a spot ? playing injured ? doesnt wanna be there ?

What year and round was Balson picked in, and where is he from?

Dwight Schrute
09-15-2010, 09:45 PM
3rd round pick from 2008 . from Kamloops. He stuck with the Raiders somehow last year for a month or so and then played jr B in B.C.

and bruno has been hyping him as a gritty physical skilled forward we saw none of that

Raider Believer
09-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Here's a situation that could have gone very badly, but fortunately had a good ending. I don't know all the details, but here's what I know. Just before noon today, one of our players interrupted a robbery attempt at his billet's house. There was a violent confrontation during which the Raider rookie Marc MacKenzie sustained a minor eye injury, a bruised lip and a very sore hand. The assailant was not so lucky, depositing copious amounts of blood at the scene and on MacKenzie's shirt which is now DNA evidence with the police. The police have a good description of the robber (with a very leaky and sore head) Thanks to MacKenzie the billet didn't lose any valuables.

Arthur Fonzerelli
09-16-2010, 06:03 PM
wow ! ! ! I commend this young man's bravery. I don't recommend it but I commend it.

Bepoleon
09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Mackenzie = Hero

Raiderfan8
09-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Mackenzie will be a fan favorite on and off the ice this year! Good work ethic and hits like a truck!

Wildeyes
09-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Balson did not look good today.
If this is the hockey we have to look forward to in PA sign me up WoW what a entertaining Game. Conner is a beast, This will be a good team this year. Even Igor was throwing elbows after cheap shots on him. Tucker looked solid minus the one weak goal.

Cut balson, paslawski keep the rest there is only 3 cuts left

Lucic
09-17-2010, 02:30 AM
Can anybody tell me the fight match ups from last night?

Sabes
09-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Can anybody tell me the fight match ups from last night?

I think this is right

Howorko/Bettauer
Connor/Verdino
Ruopp/Sullivan
Gasper/Nedomel
McNeill/ Rogers

might have been 1 other I can't remember

AlanC
09-17-2010, 08:07 AM
I think this is right

Howorko/Bettauer
Connor/Verdino
Ruopp/Sullivan
Gasper/Nedomel
McNeill/ Rogers

Was it Mackenzie vs. Scumbag? :)

Lucic
09-17-2010, 02:45 PM
I think this is right

Howorko/Bettauer
Connor/Verdino
Ruopp/Sullivan
Gasper/Nedomel
McNeill/ Rogers

Awesome, thank you.

Raider Believer
09-18-2010, 12:09 AM
What do you guys think Defence will look like , and what do you think should be done with the extra guys ? Theres 9 there that can all play. I think its a waste having Ruopp and Yaworski watching from the stands. Heres how I see the depth chart what do you guys think?

Deck
Rowley
Button
Hrynyk
Bourhis
Berry-Lamontagna
Ruopp
Yaworski
Bettauer

This is a nice problem for Bruno to have. I like this list just as is written. Bettauer should/will be reassigned. So what happens with the forwards now. Do both Connor and Gasper stay? Where does that leave the rest?

westbeach55
09-18-2010, 08:25 AM
http://www.paherald.sk.ca/Sports/Hockey/2010-09-18/article-1772499/Raiders-Mackenzie-fights-off-home-intruder/1

Raiders' Mackenzie fights off home-intruder
Marc Mackenzie, a 16-year-old forward with the Prince Albert Raiders, stopped a break-and-enter at his Branion Drive billet home Thursday. Herald photo by John MacNeil
Published on September 18th, 2010
John MacNeil Topics : Prince Albert , Raiders , Carlton Comprehensive High School , Kelowna , British Columbia , Swift Current
A week before the WHL regular season, Prince Albert Raiders rookie Marc Mackenzie scored a victory Thursday over a would-be bandit who broke into his billet home.

Mackenzie, a 16-year-old forward from Kelowna, B.C., surprised the home-invader at about 11:30 a.m. Thursday on Branion Drive in the city’s East Hill.

“I’m totally fine,” Mackenzie said a few hours after the incident. “Just a little busted-up fist, but that’s about it.

“Stuff happens around here. I mean, it’s a great community, (but) it happens everywhere. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, especially when I leave the door unlocked.”

After attending morning classes at Carlton Comprehensive High School, Mackenzie was alone at his billet house when he encountered a man estimated to be in his mid-20s. A fight ensued and the intruder fled the scene on foot.

“He was about my build, maybe bigger,” said Mackenzie, six-foot-two and about 190 pounds.

“He just tackled me in the coat room. I got up and basically tossed him into the wall and just pounded on him for a good five minutes.

“He just ran out the door and I chased him for a little bit, but what are you going to do if this guy runs back to his buddies and tells (them what happened)? He just ran down the street, and then I just clued in, there’s no point in running after this guy.”

Prince Albert City Police were still searching for the man Friday, a police spokesman said Friday night.

Mackenize didn’t dress for Thursday night’s exhibition game against the Swift Current Broncos, but he hadn’t been scheduled to play.

He’s a safe bet to stick with the Raiders, who recruited him last season from the British Columbia junior B Chase Chiefs. He led the Chiefs with 163 penalty minutes.

Mackenize doesn’t turn 17 until November, but the potential power forward is already known for his toughness on the ice. And it’s apparent he can handle himself off the ice, too.

He wanted to downplay the incident, and Raiders’ management refused to comment, but Mackenzie’s name was widely circulated Friday on WHL-related blogs and fan websites. In several instances, he was labelled a hero.

“I’m not a hero,” he said. “But it does save us, I guess (my billets), a little bit of money and hassle, not to have a bunch of crap stolen.

“My MacBook was sitting right there. The TV is there. Everything is in the house. There’s computers everywhere. If no one was home, it would have been bad, but …”

Mackenzie was just settling in to watch a movie in the basement when he heard a knock on the main-level door of his billet home.

“I guess it was just someone knocking on the door to try to get in … to see if people were home,” he said. “And because I didn’t come upstairs fast enough, they just came in.”

Mackenzie found the intruder in the living room, viewing the player’s laptop.

“Oh, I probably scared the crap out of him,” he said. “He went after me first. I didn’t even touch the guy first. He just tackled me. I just said, ‘Who the f… are you?’ and then he just tackled me into the closet.”

As it turned out, Mackenzie’s hockey instincts might have served him well.

“I don’t know,” he said. “Someone breaking and entering, there’s obviously something that’s going to get out of hand, if you walk in on him. You can’t just ask him to leave. I mean, they’re not going to wait for the cops (to arrive), that’s for sure.”

Mackenzie and the Raiders swing back into action tonight in Swift Current for the final game of their pre-season. The regular season begins next Friday in Saskatoon.

“The hockey has been very good,” said Mackenzie, who has had a solid pre-season, despite suffering from “a very bad” charley horse.

Off the ice, he remains comfortable at his billet home.

“I live in a safe place,” he said. “Good, safe billets.

“I mean, it was an accident where it happened. It could have happened anywhere. It’s not because it’s Prince Albert. It’s not the neighbourhood, or it’s not the area. It’s not anyone’s fault. It’s just that people are people, some of them not the best.”

Mackenzie’s father, Andrew, concurred that his son is in a safe and happy home with his billet family.

“He loves them and they love him,” Andrew Mackenzie said. “His billets are upstanding people, fantastic people.”

The Mackenzie family was thankful that Marc wasn’t injured in the incident.

“It certainly shook me up a lot when he called and said what happened,” Andrew Mackenzie said. “The kid may be six-foot-two and a half, or whatever, but to me, he’s only five-foot-five. He’s still a little boy, to me.”

jmacneil@paherald.sk.ca

dgasper
09-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Well done Marc !!!:clap:

http://www.paherald.sk.ca/Sports/Hockey/2010-09-18/article-1772499/Raiders-Mackenzie-fights-off-home-intruder/1

Raiders' Mackenzie fights off home-intruder
Marc Mackenzie, a 16-year-old forward with the Prince Albert Raiders, stopped a break-and-enter at his Branion Drive billet home Thursday. Herald photo by John MacNeil
John MacNeil Topics : Prince Albert , Raiders , Carlton Comprehensive High School , Kelowna , British Columbia , Swift Current
A week before the WHL regular season, Prince Albert Raiders rookie Marc Mackenzie scored a victory Thursday over a would-be bandit who broke into his billet home.

Mackenzie, a 16-year-old forward from Kelowna, B.C., surprised the home-invader at about 11:30 a.m. Thursday on Branion Drive in the city’s East Hill.

“I’m totally fine,” Mackenzie said a few hours after the incident. “Just a little busted-up fist, but that’s about it.

“Stuff happens around here. I mean, it’s a great community, (but) it happens everywhere. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, especially when I leave the door unlocked.”

After attending morning classes at Carlton Comprehensive High School, Mackenzie was alone at his billet house when he encountered a man estimated to be in his mid-20s. A fight ensued and the intruder fled the scene on foot.

“He was about my build, maybe bigger,” said Mackenzie, six-foot-two and about 190 pounds.

“He just tackled me in the coat room. I got up and basically tossed him into the wall and just pounded on him for a good five minutes.

“He just ran out the door and I chased him for a little bit, but what are you going to do if this guy runs back to his buddies and tells (them what happened)? He just ran down the street, and then I just clued in, there’s no point in running after this guy.”

Prince Albert City Police were still searching for the man Friday, a police spokesman said Friday night.

Mackenize didn’t dress for Thursday night’s exhibition game against the Swift Current Broncos, but he hadn’t been scheduled to play.

He’s a safe bet to stick with the Raiders, who recruited him last season from the British Columbia junior B Chase Chiefs. He led the Chiefs with 163 penalty minutes.

Mackenize doesn’t turn 17 until November, but the potential power forward is already known for his toughness on the ice. And it’s apparent he can handle himself off the ice, too.

He wanted to downplay the incident, and Raiders’ management refused to comment, but Mackenzie’s name was widely circulated Friday on WHL-related blogs and fan websites. In several instances, he was labelled a hero.

“I’m not a hero,” he said. “But it does save us, I guess (my billets), a little bit of money and hassle, not to have a bunch of crap stolen.

“My MacBook was sitting right there. The TV is there. Everything is in the house. There’s computers everywhere. If no one was home, it would have been bad, but …”

Mackenzie was just settling in to watch a movie in the basement when he heard a knock on the main-level door of his billet home.

“I guess it was just someone knocking on the door to try to get in … to see if people were home,” he said. “And because I didn’t come upstairs fast enough, they just came in.”

Mackenzie found the intruder in the living room, viewing the player’s laptop.

“Oh, I probably scared the crap out of him,” he said. “He went after me first. I didn’t even touch the guy first. He just tackled me. I just said, ‘Who the f… are you?’ and then he just tackled me into the closet.”

As it turned out, Mackenzie’s hockey instincts might have served him well.

“I don’t know,” he said. “Someone breaking and entering, there’s obviously something that’s going to get out of hand, if you walk in on him. You can’t just ask him to leave. I mean, they’re not going to wait for the cops (to arrive), that’s for sure.”

Mackenzie and the Raiders swing back into action tonight in Swift Current for the final game of their pre-season. The regular season begins next Friday in Saskatoon.

“The hockey has been very good,” said Mackenzie, who has had a solid pre-season, despite suffering from “a very bad” charley horse.

Off the ice, he remains comfortable at his billet home.

“I live in a safe place,” he said. “Good, safe billets.

“I mean, it was an accident where it happened. It could have happened anywhere. It’s not because it’s Prince Albert. It’s not the neighbourhood, or it’s not the area. It’s not anyone’s fault. It’s just that people are people, some of them not the best.”

Mackenzie’s father, Andrew, concurred that his son is in a safe and happy home with his billet family.

“He loves them and they love him,” Andrew Mackenzie said. “His billets are upstanding people, fantastic people.”

The Mackenzie family was thankful that Marc wasn’t injured in the incident.

“It certainly shook me up a lot when he called and said what happened,” Andrew Mackenzie said. “The kid may be six-foot-two and a half, or whatever, but to me, he’s only five-foot-five. He’s still a little boy, to me.”

jmacneil@paherald.sk.ca

Raider Believer
09-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Of course as soon as I say they will be on the outside looking in for a roster spot Herle and Bettauer score the first 2 goals for the Raiders. Any bets Balson is next? haha

Balson will have to score from the stands. He's a healthy scratch. I don't think Bruno is making any cuts this weekend.

Raiderfan8
09-18-2010, 10:01 PM
What was the final score?

Raiderfan8
09-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Nice! How about we finally sell out the home opener this year!

clockwise
09-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Nice a win on the road. Hopefully we have a few more of those this year.

Lucic
09-20-2010, 01:48 AM
5-2 Raiders. The Broncos had 16 more shots then the Raiders but once again had way more PPs. Raiders didnt play nearly as agressive as they did at home.

I heard there were still two fights. Any info on how those were?

Lucic
09-20-2010, 01:54 AM
Yaworski vs Sullivan
Bouhris vs ..... crap , I cant remember

sounded like they were both hugfest unlike the fights here the other night

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Raider Believer
09-20-2010, 01:26 PM
After Saturday's game, where no one seemed willing to play themselves out of a lineup spot, I am making the following predictions:

Conner has now been signed and will be going nowhere. He's here to stay.

Bruno will go with 14 forwards until Danyluk is ready to come back with Paslawski being relased fairly soon, then, if I was a guessing man, Gasper will be gone, altho it should be Balson. NB: Paslawski and Gasper are the only two unsigned forwards.

On Defense I think Matt Berry-Lamontagna's days are numbered. Bettauer helped himself enormously on Saturday. Berry-Lamontagna has chronic injuries and is still a very young 93 ... maybe next year. Altho it is possible that Bruno may trade one of the d-men for other assets, then Matt B-L would stick.

Dwight Schrute
09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
After Saturday's game, where no one seemed willing to play themselves out of a lineup spot, I am making the following predictions:

Conner has now been signed and will be going nowhere. He's here to stay.

Bruno will go with 14 forwards until Danyluk is ready to come back with Paslawski being relased fairly soon, then, if I was a guessing man, Gasper will be gone, altho it should be Balson. NB: Paslawski and Gasper are the only two unsigned forwards.

On Defense I think Matt Berry-Lamontagna's days are numbered. Bettauer helped himself enormously on Saturday. Berry-Lamontagna has chronic injuries and is still a very young 93 ... maybe next year. Altho it is possible that Bruno may trade one of the d-men for other assets, then Matt B-L would stick.

isnt paslawski a dman ?

lasiter
09-20-2010, 04:36 PM
ya Paslawski is a forward and will probably be gone. I agree with everything except Bettauer making the team. I dont think 1 good rush is good enough. He doesnt fit into the group imo. He is in no way as good as Berry ,except older. But Berry being 17 may hurt him. And your right about Connor staying (that might have came right from the horses mouth)

Has Gasper been released

Raider Believer
09-20-2010, 05:06 PM
I dont think the Raiders have cut anyone yet. Just to be clear... Balson is the one that deserves to be cut. Gaspar in 1 game has done more then Balson did all of camp.

Gasper HAS been released. And you're right, it should have been Balson.

Raider Believer
09-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Well thats a good question for Bruno in the raidio show tonight !

I agree that Balson should probably have been cut a couple of weeks ago, based on performance .... or lack of it. However, using the same criteria, I am not surprised that Gasper has been reassigned. Quite frankly, in Saturday's game on a line with Winther and MacKenzie he just didn't seem to read the play or see the ice very well. That's not saying Winther and MacKenzie were brilliant, they weren't, but Gasper was definitely the weak link on that night. And although I'm not a big Balson fan, far from it, I will concede that despite his plodding and lazy style, he does see the ice and read the plays.

Raider Believer
09-20-2010, 07:06 PM
"tough as nails" ? where the heck does Bruno get this stuff?

If you're referencing Bruno's comments about Balson earlier this spring .... I'm sure he said "very nice nails".
Then again, I'm thinking that Bruno maybe is being a little cautious with assets from British Columbia. After all, he had the Persley fiasco a year ago and Harrison just recently, maybe he doesn't want to piss off the province by giving Balson the heave-ho. LOL

Deadly
09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
RAIDER 15 I don't think you realize these are kid's not NHL hockey players yet, they are going to make mistakes. I have read all your statements RAIDER 15 and my question to you is "why be a fan when you can't say anything polite about these players? You have cut down numerous amounts of veteran players and rookies. I have been a fan of the Raiders for year's. I have friends that are ex-players and I have met a few of these new players. They all have one thing in common "they want to win."
So far RAIDER 15 you have cut down there goaltending which I think is great. Tucker played good last year and once the season starts he will be a solid goalie for us with experience. Our defence has not had this much experience for years. Nathan Deck 200 plus games, Ryan Button 190 plus games, James Bettauer 68 plus games, Jordan Rowley 120 plus games, Emerson Hrynyk 40 plus games, Tyler Yaworski 20 plus games, Harrison Ruopp 30 plus games. RAIDER 15 you stated that Bettauer looked out of place the 1st game against Swift. I dont know what game you were watching. He had an excellent game, he made an excellent pass to Deck who passed it to Revenko who scored. They gave assist to Herrod but it was Bettauer who should of picked up the assist. He made some great rushes and excellent one time passes out of his zone. Game 2 in Swift Bettauer made some excellent plays and did score. On the radio Drew Wilson stated he had an excellent game. RAIDER 15 you have also broke down the fights from last year Herle 10 fights, Yaworski 9, Hrynyk 5, Ruopp 4 which is awesome for all being rookies. It does'nt matter how many you win, it matters how many you showed up for. Ken Baumgartner never won all his fights but what made him so great was he showed up. Herle, he played 65 games and collected 118 penalty minutes last year. Herle is only 5'9 175 pounds and has shown he will do anything to play for the Raiders--10 fights. These kids are competing and competing hard to play here. Who cares what your ratings say about where they are going to finish, they have a solid group of Goalies, defence and forwards with lots of WHL experience. If they try every night to play hard they will finish with a good record. I do understand everyone is entitled to there opinion and I respect that, but some comments are rude and ignorant.

Raider Believer
09-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Deadly,
Raiderfan15 has been around here for years, as a fan, poster and moderator. This is a hockey fan forum/blog. You need to chill out. If you don't agree with a posting, then state your case or point of view. Attacking the poster is inappropriate and misplaced. Being the subject of these fan forums and blogs is part of the gig when you are playing in the WHL and other major junior leagues and onwards and upwards. But hey, I don't agree with everything raiderfan15 says either, so target the comment and give a good rebuttal, which you did in the Herle comments. Incidentally, raiderfan15 has historically been a big fan of Herle, so obviously you haven't been reading the posts for very long.

Deadly
09-21-2010, 01:36 PM
raider beleiver,

I am sure Raider 15 has been around along time great like the rest of us. My point is we are all fans of the Raiders and want the best. I don't need to chill out it is a forum and these discussions take place. I just thought some of his comments were way off (my opinion that's all) It just seem's there is to much negative and never enough positive about the team that's all.
No-disrespect just my opinion.

Deadly
09-21-2010, 01:53 PM
I have been a fan for years like you, all I want is to be positve. These players for the most part are kids playing an NHL schedule. As a Raider fan we have developed some elite players over the past. I like watching the team good or bad and I like to give all these players a chance. The scouts have seen something in these players that's why they are here. Lets be positive and sit back and watch, the regular season has not started yet. We have tons of experience and every player wants to be here.

Wildeyes
09-21-2010, 02:02 PM
ROUND 2 LOL ok boys no shots below the belt. Protect yourselves at all times.

You Wanna Ring The Bell
DING DING

Wildeyes
09-21-2010, 02:19 PM
my post was late i was going to post after deadly but you guys beat me to the "punch" lol

lostsheep
09-21-2010, 04:38 PM
good to see passion, good or bad its all about the team. kinda like bad press, you still read it!
________
DRUG TESTING KIT (http://drugtestingkit.org)

Dwight Schrute
09-22-2010, 01:17 AM
I see Sean Aschim was released by the Rockets today. I guess Bruno did well getting a 6th for him.

maybe like his brother he will catch on a year later

Raider Believer
09-22-2010, 05:46 PM
With teams in our own division making trades to strengthen themselves i.e. Swift Current and Moose Jaw. Does this put any pressure on Bruno to pull the trigger on a couple of deals to help us? The MJ deal for a goalie was huge for them, and they landed a good one who could have been an upgrade on Tucker in my opinion. And before anyone jumps all over me about saying something negative about Tucker ..... remember he's the guy who came to camp woefully out of shape just like he did last year in Vancouver ... and got his butt traded here, Don Hay is still chuckling about that one!
What about Button? What kind of return could we get for him? He's not Bruno's typical rock'em sock'em type of player, but he would probably be of significant value to a few other teams. Maybe we could get a high draft for next year and an 18 year old top 6 forward plus maybe a prospect?? Maybe I'm dreaming.

Dwight Schrute
09-22-2010, 06:02 PM
With teams in our own division making trades to strengthen themselves i.e. Swift Current and Moose Jaw. Does this put any pressure on Bruno to pull the trigger on a couple of deals to help us? The MJ deal for a goalie was huge for them, and they landed a good one who could have been an upgrade on Tucker in my opinion. And before anyone jumps all over me about saying something negative about Tucker ..... remember he's the guy who came to camp woefully out of shape just like he did last year in Vancouver ... and got his butt traded here, Don Hay is still chuckling about that one!
What about Button? What kind of return could we get for him? He's not Bruno's typical rock'em sock'em type of player, but he would probably be of significant value to a few other teams. Maybe we could get a high draft for next year and an 18 year old top 6 forward plus maybe a prospect?? Maybe I'm dreaming.
button will not be traded unless we aquire another drafted player as the raiders need the development money.
packing up a few guys to get carter ashton is what i hope to see.

beau stewart, braid, waselenko, balson, fiddler, etc......... would be a group id look to move.
i would have tried to use harrison to get him if i could.

Raider Believer
09-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Ashton might not even be back in the league. And it would be as dumb of Bruno to give up a whack of future to get Ashton as it was of Parker to give up Balog and a 1st and a 2nd to get him. It doesnt make any kind of sense to give that kind of youth up for a 1 year player. And a 2nd for Tucker is a good deal for the Raiders if Tucker plays how he is capable or even how he played against the Broncos. And he still has another year left.

To give up what kind of youth raiderfan15? The following is my opinion only: Balson we are in agreement on, he probably shouldn't even be here this year and next year he'll be 18, and sadly the same is true of Stewart and Wasylenko. From what I saw of the 95s in camp this year, I doubt that some of the 93's will ever have another sniff, not too many 18 year olds come into the league as rookies .... and ya I know there are exceptions, but not many.
Connor Braid and Fiddler are what the real price of Ashton would be. I would be reluctant to throw Fiddler into the mix. I would be more inclined to send Paslawski down the highway with Braid, Stewart, Balson and Wasylenko, but only if Regina sweetened the pot with a couple of draft picks, say a 3'rd rounder in 2011 and a 4th rounder in 2012. Regina has so little in the cupboard now that they need to restock themselves, so this might be a workable deal. Regina gets new/young blood. We get a guy who will probably help us get to the playoffs and we get rid of Balson .. bonus. This also negates the need for any more cuts. Yaworski can move up to forward as our 13th and it will leave us with 8 dmen. It would be fun to see a line of Conner, Herle and Yaworski .... warm up PK!

Raider Believer
09-22-2010, 09:27 PM
"And a 2nd for Tucker is a good deal for the Raiders if Tucker plays how he is capable or even how he played against the Broncos. And he still has another year left."

Ah ... dear raiderfan15,
guess you thought that I had just skipped over this little quote. Sorry, but I honestly think Bruno overpaid for Tucker. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until just recently. I was hugely unimpressed by Tucker this camp and preseason. Its not just the goals that did or didn't go in during the exhibition games. Its the mechanics and conditioning of a goalie, is he tracking the puck well???, on all counts this kid is below par. The goaltending future is with Williams and Phaneuf (sp?) the 95 goalie we drafted this year. I would even try and swing a deal with Kelowna for Jordan Cooke a goalie out of Leduc (1993). The kid is a winner and may not crack their lineup this year, but he is always battling and is in shape. I'm sure we could get something for Tucker, probably not a 2nd rounder back but maybe a 3rd or 4 rounder and cut our losses.

Raider Believer
09-22-2010, 11:02 PM
He may have overpaid a bit but it really depends on how Tucker plays this year and possibly next. There is no doubt he came to camp in terrible shape. But theres also no doubt that he has almost completly over come it. He looked very good , except 1 bad goal against the Broncos. And I cant believe you would name Phaneuf as part of the future over Fiebelkorn(there is no comparing the two)

Its encouraging that you are high on Fiebelkorn and I on Phaneuf. It suggests that with Williams and the two young ones, we are in good shape between the pipes for a few years.

But you read it here FIRST: in a year or two from now the two best goalies in the WHL will be our Eric Williams and Brendan Jensen of the Giants. I first saw Jensen play in California as a PeeWee. He was super sensational then and nothing I've seen since has deterred me from my first impression.

Dwight Schrute
09-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Ashton might not even be back in the league. And it would be as dumb of Bruno to give up a whack of future to get Ashton as it was of Parker to give up Balog and a 1st and a 2nd to get him. It doesnt make any kind of sense to give that kind of youth up for a 1 year player. And a 2nd for Tucker is a good deal for the Raiders if Tucker plays how he is capable or even how he played against the Broncos. And he still has another year left.

i said if ashton came back.
stewart, braid, waselenko and fiddler would all be able to contribute on that team now.

Dwight Schrute
09-23-2010, 12:35 AM
I agree they would. but I am almost positive the market for Ashton will be at minimum a 1st round pick and a blue chip prospect. (thats how I should have said it the first time ,sorry) Why I thought it would be a bad Idea is because I can see how good the team will probably be in 2 years. But that being said with Ashton they could be pretty good this year as well. As long as they didnt have to give up Morrisey and a 1st it could be a good deal for the Raiders if he came back. And regarding the young goalies I actually said the exact same thing. I have never seen a Raider camp with 5 real good goalies at. (Even Edwards looked strong to me)
id consider dealing mahura too.
gaining the development money. buying a round or two of playoffs. and giving the team a marquee talent the could advertise about.
we have gained some quantity, i think it possible to pack it up for a short term high quality like ashton

Raiderfan8
09-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Any word on the ticket sales for Saturday's game? Would like to see a sell out at the Art Hauser !

Raider Believer
09-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Its the day before the season opens and the Raiders have not named a captain yet. What do you guys think the teams decision will be ? I think that maybe Bruno is waiting until Button is back and giving it to him. My hope is Deck but I think he will end up with a A. I hope Mcneill gets a letter as well.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Button should be captain and Mcneill should definitely get an A.

Raiderfan8
09-23-2010, 09:48 AM
I agree with Button getting the " C " this year. If he returns next year then that's great and if not you have McNeil waiting with another year of experience.

Raiderfan8
09-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Bought tickets for the home opener this afternoon and they advised there are still 650 seats open for the home opener.

Dwight Schrute
09-23-2010, 08:34 PM
The opening day lineup should be a easy one to predict with injuries. The only question in my mind is who dresses between Bettauer and Yaworski.

Herrod - Mcneill - Ravenko
Maylan - Parker - Svendsen
Connor - Mackenzie - Fiddler
Balson - Herle - Winther

Deck - Rowley
Hrynyk - Bouhris
Yaworski - Ruopp
im excited to witness balsons gritty crash and bang style game. :clap:

Dwight Schrute
09-23-2010, 10:17 PM
honestly, I just laughed out loud. Lets see him drop the gloves with Siemens since he's "tough as nails" lol

silly mcnaught is hiding at ranger camp, and gogal even signed a contract to avoid an altercation with the truculent balson.

GO RAIDERS
09-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Hello everyone, the last few game's and practices the defence pairings have been:

Deck---Ruopp
Bettauer---Rowley
Hrynyk---Yaworski
Bourhis

I agree with these forward lines, maybe switch Connor and Balson around for a couple shifts.

Balson - Herle - Winther

Raider Believer
09-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Hello everyone, the last few game's and practices the defence pairings have been:

Deck---Ruopp
Bettauer---Rowley
Hrynyk---Yaworski
Bourhis

I agree with these forward lines, maybe switch Connor and Balson around for a couple shifts.

Balson - Herle - Winther

I think Fiddler and MacKenzie would rather stick with Connor. And its not fair to threaten them with punishment them before the game even starts!

GO RAIDERS
09-24-2010, 10:44 AM
I hope the team get's off to a good start. Our defence has lot's of experience and our goaltending look's to be strong also. The first two lines are capable of scoring some big goals. I hope Connor get's the message that he is here to add toughness. Connor's size and all, hopefully he can intimidate some team's by doing the little things finishing hit's, sticking up for teammate's and dropping the gloves when a spark is needed. The Raiders have lacked that for a few year's.

GO RAIDERS
09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't think I said Connors has to be a goon. He has big size and should use that size to his advantage. In saying that, I do hope if our goalie gets run over again he is on the ice.

GO RAIDERS
09-24-2010, 11:29 AM
I hope Connor get's the message that he is here to add toughness. Connor's size and all, hopefully he can intimidate some team's by doing the little things finishing hit's, sticking up for teammate's and dropping the gloves when a spark is needed

sorry I guess I just took what you said wrong.

I know as well as you do raider 15 he is not here to run the powerplay or penalty kill. We have been missing a take your lunchbox get in the trenches and go to work kinda player. Connors can do that. I do think he can play from what I have seen in exhibition, the regular season has not yet been seen.

lordstanley
09-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Ryan Button has just been returned by Boston this morning i doubt he will play tonight maybe tomorrow for your home opener though

Raiderfan8
09-24-2010, 03:05 PM
I am suprised Button stayed up there that long with the Bruins! Will be nice to have him back in the line up.

Raiderfan8
09-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Just to irk all you Brock Balson fans out there it was stated in the herald again today he is a tough and gritty forward !

Raiderfan8
09-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Here is the Article:

Harrison Ruopp, naturally, puts out his right hand for a firm handshake befitting a healthy farm-boy from Zehner, Sask.

It’s just as well. Ruopp’s left hand, or at least one finger, is wrapped in protective tape. It’s nothing serious, as they say.

“Just taped it up for precautionary reasons,” said Ruopp, a second-year defenceman with the Prince Albert Raiders. “It was hurting a bit.”

Hurt is the operative word. In their unabashed efforts to become tougher this season, the Raiders are counting on the likes of Ruopp to intimidate opponents, beginning with the Blades tonight in Saskatoon and Saturday night in Prince Albert.

Ruopp, 17, set the tone in the opening pre-season game when he tangled with Blades defenceman Duncan Siemens, a Raider nemesis last season and one of Saskatoon’s best players. The battle of youthful heavyweights left Siemens, fresh from a gold-medal effort with Canada’s under-18 team, with a gash under his right eye and a cut on the bridge of his nose.

Ruopp emerged with a comparatively clean face.

“That’s a good thing,” he said with a smile.

“(Siemens is) a good player and he was a real physical guy last year, and he’s going to be one of their good guys this year. That fight was something that helped me get more comfortable and it kind of gave the fans something, too. It was a good fight.”

Ruopp, six-foot-two and 198 pounds, similarly entertained fans at the Art Hauser Centre last week when he made short work of Andrew Sullivan in a fight-filled game against the Swift Current Broncos.

The new-look Raiders, including tough guys like Ruopp, Emerson Hrynyk, Tyler Yaworski, Austin Bourhis, Marc Mackenzie and Brock Balson, are banking on hard-nosed hockey translating into more wins, especially on the road. Last season’s ineptitude on the road — eight wins in 36 games — kept Prince Albert out of the playoffs for a third straight year.

Saskatoon matched talent with grit last season, but the Blades might already have seen this month that the rival Raiders are ready to dance.

“I think we gave them a push back this year, definitely,” said Hrynyk, a second-year Raider defenceman who just turned 18. “They were going to try and come in and run the show. Nothing like that is going to happen this year.

“I think we’re going to be a tougher team this year, because we’ve been taught that you have 23 guys backing you up. So, if something ever happens, you know you have your team behind you, and we’re not taking no for an answer this year. A little bit of intimidation.”

Hrynyk’s aggressiveness last season earned him a job with the Raiders straight out of the British Columbia junior B ranks. He played with the Grand Forks Border Bruins as a 16-year-old.

“I took the junior B route, and I think that really helped me out, playing with bigger, older guys, instead of playing major midget,” said the Penticton, B.C., product. “It helped me to come to this level.

“I think I had eight (fights) in junior B, as a 16-year-old, but I played a lot when I was there. It was a good thing for me, because I was on a weak team and I played top-three minutes as a 16-year-old, so I had a big role there.”

His role on the Raiders’ defence has been well-defined. He’ll support skilled veterans Ryan Button, Nathan Deck and Jordan Rowley and complement emerging talents like Ruopp and Bourhis, an 18-year-old Kipling product who played tough hockey last winter with the junior A Yorkton Terriers.

“I want to play a lot tougher this year, and I feel like I’m bigger and I hit a lot more,” said Hrynyk, six-foot-two and 194 pounds. “This year, it’s not just (shooting the puck) off the glass every time. I want to make a good pass out, the first pass, which is a big thing.”

The Raiders’ tough customers are all relatively young, and more of them are waiting in the wings. The 25-man roster includes 18-year-old forwards Tyler Paslawski and Austin Connor, both 2010 graduates of the Saskatchewan Midget Hockey League.

“Out of the young guys, the guy that’s really impressed me is that Austin Connor, who we just picked up,” Hrynyk said. “He has a big presence. For his size, he can skate, he can shoot and he can stickhandle. I think he’s going to be a good addition to our club.

“Paslawski can skate, too. He’s a fast guy.”

Of course, the Raiders hope their accentuation of the physical this season makes room for skilled players like veterans Brandon Herrod, Igor Revenko and Justin Maylan, and rookies like Mike Winther, Shane Danyluk and Todd Fiddler, the 17-year-old sniper from the Beardy’s Blackhawks. Not to mention Mark McNeill, the 17-year-old sophomore centre who has physical spunk to back up his considerable skill.

“For sure, there’s guys that have different roles on the team, obviously, like the finesse guys,” Ruopp said. “If everyone just buys in, it’ll give everyone a chance to do what they need to do.”

Most importantly, the Raiders need to take their show on the road, so the tough guys are on cue.

“We’ve definitely got to have that spark on the road,” Ruopp said. “We were missing something last year. I think that (aggression) will help a lot. We’re all bigger guys. Those big hits and those fights, every now and then, will get everything going.”

Ruopp grew up as a fan of since-retired New Jersey Devils defenceman Scott Stevens, whose punishing play kept many an opponent in check — and in fear.

Hrynyk has been a longtime fan of another bruising blue-liner in Chris Pronger, lately of the Philadelphia Flyers.

“I like the way he plays,” Hrynyk said. “He’s a big guy and moves the puck. He punishes people in the corner, just when they need it.”

Balson and Mackenzie are rookies, but they played among older players last season with the B.C. junior B Chase Chiefs.

Mackenzie, who turns 17 in November, made headlines last week when he thwarted a break-and-enter at his billet home in Prince Albert.

Tough kids, indeed.

jmacneil@paherald.sk.ca

Dwight Schrute
09-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Ryan Button has just been returned by Boston this morning i doubt he will play tonight maybe tomorrow for your home opener though

might fly into stoon and play tonight. i doubt it though

Raider Believer
09-24-2010, 11:34 PM
might fly into stoon and play tonight. i doubt it though

He flew into Stoon and played. Team should have won but Bruno managed to pull a defeat from the jaws of victory. Very, very disappointing.

westbeach55
09-24-2010, 11:41 PM
haha it was a good game and we lost a close one

He flew into Stoon and played. Team should have won but Bruno managed to pull a defeat from the jaws of victory. Very, very disappointing.

Chipchura_Fan
09-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Had a great time on the bus down tonight, should have won it though.... Can't wait for the next fan bus!