PDA

View Full Version : Who are the assistant captains this year?

Boltz9
08-27-2010, 11:57 AM
With all the talk going around on this site about new captains being named, how will Brandons captain and assistant captain situation look like? I'll go ahead and assume that Schenn will now be the full time captain if he comes back.

Assuming these players come back, I think it will shape up like this....

C - Schenn
A - Wiebe
A - Glennie
A - Melnychuk

dagley
08-27-2010, 11:58 AM
C - Schenn
A - Wiebe
A - Bestland
A - Melnychuk

Never thought Id see the day with Brodie with a letter :*(

lordstanley
08-27-2010, 12:58 PM
C - Schenn
A - Wiebe
A - Bestland
A - Melnychuk

Dagley good choices but you forgot to put a ? beside Schenns name lol

dagley
08-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Dagley good choices but you forgot to put a ? beside Schenns name lol

No, cause he's coming back. Hes not making the kings this year.

DunnerStunner
08-27-2010, 03:22 PM

I hope he proves you wrong

Boltz9
08-27-2010, 04:04 PM
C - Schenn
A - Wiebe
A - Bestland
A - Melnychuk

Lol, agreed. But he did earn it, and with so many good players leaving this year I don't see how he doesn't get a letter.

Brandonite
08-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Lol, agreed. But he did earn it, and with so many good players leaving this year I don't see how he doesn't get a letter.

As scary as it is to say it but Melnychuk will be the anchor and the "big man" on the blue line for the Wheat Kings and he is going to have to assume some sort of leadership role for Brandon this year. In 3 years he has had alot of ups and downs but he will be counted on heavily so seeing him with an "A" would not surprise me, theres gonna be alot of pressure on him to lead the back end with little to no guys returning on D. As for Glennie having an "A", I would bet Andrew Hayes getting an "A" before Glennie.

Brandonite
08-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Also if Schneider comes back, which I have heard hes not but I dont know for sure. But...if he does come back I would expect to see him with an "A". For anyone who has ever gone to practises to watch, he is a real good leader with the younger guys. Especially last year I noticed during their series vs Saskatoon he really took Jordan Fransoo under his wing and helped him alot when that poor kid was thrown into an awful situation

Allin44
08-27-2010, 06:25 PM

Don't be so sure, I've "heard things" the last little while.

Brandonite
08-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Don't be so sure, I've "heard things" the last little while.

Everyone seems to think they have an "inside" track on where Brayden Schenn will be playing next year. And the fact is even the L.A. Kings dont even know for sure if Schenn will be an L.A. King in 2010-2011. It all depends on training camp and from there anything can happen!! Look at Luke in his 18 year old year making the Leafs! Everyone thinks they know where Schenn will be but NO ONE knows for sure...just speculations!!

dagley
08-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Everyone seems to think they have an "inside" track on where Brayden Schenn will be playing next year. And the fact is even the L.A. Kings dont even know for sure if Schenn will be an L.A. King in 2010-2011. It all depends on training camp and from there anything can happen!! Look at Luke in his 18 year old year making the Leafs! Everyone thinks they know where Schenn will be but NO ONE knows for sure...just speculations!!

Making the ****ty Leafs is probably far easier than making the Kings. Just saying.

Trevor
08-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Making the ****ty Leafs is probably far easier than making the Kings. Just saying.

Much easier, given that the Leafs are, or at least were when Luke came up, in a full rebuild. Whereas the Kings are a piece or 2 away from being legitimate contenders. And no offense to Brayden, but at this point in time he isn't that piece. Compound that with the fact that LA is quite deep at centre (Kopitar, Handzus, Stoll, Moller) and I don't see him making the team. I've got no insider hints, tips, or anything like that, just my opinion.

Regarding the letters, I think it'll shake up like this

C - Schenn
A - Bestland
A - Weibe
A - Melnychuk

Boltz9
08-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Adding to this discussion rather than making a new thread. Who does everyone think will be the 3 overagers?

If I had to guess I would say...

Wiebe
Toews
Bestland

I would say Deserres instead of Bestland so that he could kind of mentor Liston a little bit before throwing him to the wolves, but they need all the help on defense that they can get.

dagley
08-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Keep Jacob until they have to 'register' their 20's for a year, then it's Liam's time to shine. Our D core is pretty brutal this year, in terms of vets. I wouldnt mind seeing Glennie dealt for a stud on D.

Bestland
Toews
Wiebe

Brandonite
08-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Keep Jacob until they have to 'register' their 20's for a year, then it's Liam's time to shine. Our D core is pretty brutal this year, in terms of vets. I wouldnt mind seeing Glennie dealt for a stud on D.

Bestland
Toews
Wiebe

Glennie will be traded by the end of World Juniors...I'll bet on that!

Allin44
08-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Overagers - Wiebe, Bestland, Toews

I have Schenn staying up with LA until XMAS(staying under 40 games), going to play in the WJC and then back to the dub and being traded to a contender.

Glennie gets dealt as well, and Brandon should be rebuilt pretty fast with what those two return.

dagley
08-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Overagers - Wiebe, Bestland, Toews

I have Schenn staying up with LA until XMAS(staying under 40 games), going to play in the WJC and then back to the dub and being traded to a contender.

Glennie gets dealt as well, and Brandon should be rebuilt pretty fast with what those two return.

Why would LA keep Schenn for under 40 games, lose a year of his entry level contract then send him back? If anything, he'll play under 9 games (so his contract doesn't kick in) and be sent back. He will be here by the second week of the season.

Brandonite
08-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Why would LA keep Schenn for under 40 games, lose a year of his entry level contract then send him back? If anything, he'll play under 9 games (so his contract doesn't kick in) and be sent back. He will be here by the second week of the season.

I agree with this 100% but at the same time if Schenn goes into camp and through 9 regular season games he puts up something like 9 points in the 9 games...hes going to make it pretty tough on the Kings management to send him back. If he doesnt produce then it will make things alot easier but if hes putting up numbers we see it every year with teams! I still say he will be a Wheat King but at the same time like I said if he goes into camp and puts up solid numbers through out...dont be so shocked if hes helping the L.A. Kings win he wont be back

dagley
08-29-2010, 10:45 PM
I agree with this 100% but at the same time if Schenn goes into camp and through 9 regular season games he puts up something like 9 points in the 9 games...hes going to make it pretty tough on the Kings management to send him back. If he doesnt produce then it will make things alot easier but if hes putting up numbers we see it every year with teams! I still say he will be a Wheat King but at the same time like I said if he goes into camp and puts up solid numbers through out...dont be so shocked if hes helping the L.A. Kings win he wont be back

I cant see him getting a lot of points playing probably between 7-10 minutes a game in LA on the 3rd or 4th line.

Trevor
08-30-2010, 10:35 AM
I think he stays in LA for his 9 games as well, then is back in Brandon.

With Toews coming to Bdn, I think the overagers will be Toews, Weibe, Bestland.

If Toews hadn't came to the Wheaties though, would you rather have Schneider return to help out a weak defense, or a goaltender, presumably DeSerres?

Joe Hallenback
08-30-2010, 11:06 AM
No one knows the future but I think people can make an educated guess. Considering the Kings have Kopitar,Stoll and Handzsus currently as there 1,2 and 3 centers that means Schenn would be the 4th line center. The Kings have alot of cap space and it makes sense they make a run for it this season and bring in a Winger who can score. Handzus contract runs out this season and Schenn seems the logical choice to replace on that third line next year and get some powerplay and penalty killing duties. Plus the Kings have guys Like Moller,Lotikanov and Cliche who have some AHL time and are older.

Now if Schenn goes to training camp and blows the doors off them he could stay but the smart decision is to wait a year let him play here and on Canada World Junior team.

Most King fans and bloggers want Schenn back here for this season and not toiling away on the 4th line. So I am keeping my fingers crossed

Johnny Table
08-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Why are there a few of you that think Glennie will be traded ? This guy could be a 50 goal guy this year with Schenn and is the no.1 center if Schenn sticks with LA. He will be on the WJ team and will be a key when Brandon finds some vets on defense. With the deep list and having Schenn and Glennie there is no reason why KM will not move some list players for D help. this team will challenge for the East title. I know you guys thinkhe is a bad person off ice but he had one problem and it was caused by Hall. And before you say he was almost traded at the deadline last year for Eberle I can tell you he wasnt as I am one of 2 Pats scouts in Manitoba. The only teams thatmade a bid for him was Stoon and Spokane. I predict thatBrandon will go with Weibe,Toews and Schneider. There has been rumors of both 7 and 28 not reporting to camp at all and will go to school. go with Liston and Rimmer they will do fine.

King Klash
09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Why are there a few of you that think Glennie will be traded ? This guy could be a 50 goal guy this year with Schenn and is the no.1 center if Schenn sticks with LA. He will be on the WJ team and will be a key when Brandon finds some vets on defense. With the deep list and having Schenn and Glennie there is no reason why KM will not move some list players for D help. this team will challenge for the East title. I know you guys thinkhe is a bad person off ice but he had one problem and it was caused by Hall. And before you say he was almost traded at the deadline last year for Eberle I can tell you he wasnt as I am one of 2 Pats scouts in Manitoba. The only teams thatmade a bid for him was Stoon and Spokane. I predict thatBrandon will go with Weibe,Toews and Schneider. There has been rumors of both 7 and 28 not reporting to camp at all and will go to school. go with Liston and Rimmer they will do fine.

Come on talk like that will get you nothing but ridiculed on this site or some one will accuse you of being related to Glennie he is the whipping boy by some of the jerks that express their uneducated opinions. Also some guy will guarantee that 100% percent Glennie was going to be traded although it would be the stupidest thing KM ever did oops I did it too. Oh well now there will be two of us that must be related to Glennie. Bestland is in town and has intentions of playing while Schneider has all but committed to school. KM has talked to one of the overage tenders about mentoring Liston and he was in town all summer.

Johnny Table
09-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Come on talk like that will get you nothing but ridiculed on this site or some one will accuse you of being related to Glennie he is the whipping boy by some of the jerks that express their uneducated opinions. Also some guy will guarantee that 100% percent Glennie was going to be traded although it would be the stupidest thing KM ever did oops I did it too. Oh well now there will be two of us that must be related to Glennie. Bestland is in town and has intentions of playing while Schneider has all but committed to school. KM has talked to one of the overage tenders about mentoring Liston and he was in town all summer.

I believe you are the uneducated one as Mark was at camp. Liam was not in Brandon all summer he was in Calgary for much of Aug and was at a camp I worked at in for 2 weeks in July. You do not know what KM says to the players. As a former player and now a scout I know that things said between players and coaches/managment do not leave the dressing room. And to call people on this site jerks and say they are uneducated is a classic troll move. A uneducated person on this board would be the guy saying he knows private convos between players and coaches and that they should trade Walker and Sinatynski.

King Klash
09-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Johnny I think you may have understand my post. First I know Mark was at camp and things may have changed as during M cup in a conversation with his dad he said that Mark was commited to attending school this year. Second when I had said that KM had talked about keeping an overager to mentor his goalie of the future which happened during an interview that he did at end of year I never insinuated it was dressing room talk. The quote he was in town all summer was not in refrence to Liston but to the overage tender who stayed in Brandon most of the summer. The coments that brought about the jerk comments were in the relation to Glennie being traded when last year there was one poster on here that guaranteed 100% Glennie would be traded when I said that would be a stupid move I was accused of being related to Glennie. I personelly believe Glennie is probally the most talented player on the Wheaties and we are not related. The coments about trading Walker and Sinitaski was on another thread about what the wheaties had to trade and it was said that we may get something for those two in relation to a 18-19 tender or defenceman. As both guys have tons of upside they will not make the top six on this club this year and may bring a good return while some of the younger guys in the system may do better in the third or fourth line roles. Again I never said anything about private conversations between players and coaches. I also never comented on your qualifications although the web does allow anybody to be whoever they would like to be a scout, parent, player, a movie star if they wish with no way to prove one way or the other. I did call some of the posters on here uneducated jerks but I never did call anyone a troll which is a short pudgy person with wild and mostly colorful hair not sure how they move and really do not understand what your getting at but again because of the ability to be who you wish to be remeber that right now I am 6 foot 6 and a 300 pound monster so be very careful at what your insiuating lol. And as far as your history in hockey everybody has a history in hockey some have done a lot more than others. Now if I offeneded you I am sorry as for the most part I agree with you on the Glennie deal as far as the rest you may have misunderstood me.

Boltz9
09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
So Shayne Wiebe is captain, Melnychuk, Stone and Glennie the assistants. Does this mean that Kelly thinks Schenn won't be back?

sbtatter
09-24-2010, 12:04 PM
So Shayne Wiebe is captain, Melnychuk, Stone and Glennie the assistants. Does this mean that Kelly thinks Schenn won't be back?

Maybe, or he thinks that if Schenn is back he won't be in the frame of mind to be a team leader...

whlking
09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Maybe, or he thinks that if Schenn is back he won't be in the frame of mind to be a team leader...

Or,maybe Kelly McCrimmon has resigned to the facr that this will be a rebuilding year and has decided that they will pursue a trade if indeed Schenn comes back.

Wheatie Pete
09-24-2010, 01:19 PM
maybe he just picked the best leader of everybody including Schenn.

Allin44
09-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Seems a little suspect that Tinman Glennie would have a letter then.

sbtatter
09-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Seems a little suspect that Tinman Glennie would have a letter then.

Well I think Glennie expects to be back, whereas Schenn doesn't expect to be back, expectations are different between the 2...Regardless, unless we have a team to win the conference after the WJC, trade them both if they're here and gain some of those prospects and picks back.....

chalk_one_up
09-24-2010, 02:10 PM
The Wheat Kings have to make plans on the 2010-11 season with the mindset of Schenn not being back, just like the Pats and Ashton (although he was returned today). Brandon had to do the same thing last season with Calvert and his uncertainty to return. I'm sure that if Brayden does get returned, he and Weibe will split the "C" duties, much like Calvert and Schenn did last season.

The choice of Shayne as captain is as good of a choice as any, especially in his hometown in his last junior season. I would expect big things from Weibe this season.

Allin44
09-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Via Scott Cullen(TSN Fantasy Guru) on Twitter

Less -- right now looking at 4th line duty. RT @horaxhorax how many points for Brayden Schenn this year? 20 goals 50 pts?

Brandonite
09-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Via Scott Cullen(TSN Fantasy Guru) on Twitter

Less -- right now looking at 4th line duty. RT @horaxhorax how many points for Brayden Schenn this year? 20 goals 50 pts?

20 goals?? Thats ALOT to ask of Schenn. If he makes the Kings, a serious reasonable number to expect would be 10+goals. 20 is pretty unrealistic for him in a rookie year, not impossible but pretty unrealistic. Considering if he does make it, hes going to be playing 3rd-4th line minutes. Not many 4th liners score 20 goals.

Allin44
09-26-2010, 09:28 PM
20 goals?? Thats ALOT to ask of Schenn. If he makes the Kings, a serious reasonable number to expect would be 10+goals. 20 is pretty unrealistic for him in a rookie year, not impossible but pretty unrealistic. Considering if he does make it, hes going to be playing 3rd-4th line minutes. Not many 4th liners score 20 goals.

Sorry.

The way that reads on twitter, is somebody asked Scott Cullen if he could expect Schenn to toss up 20G 50PTS, Cullen said no, he's slotted in for 4th line duty.