PDA

View Full Version : competition for jobs

west coast
08-29-2010, 12:39 PM
it seems like there is healthy competition for all jobs at this years camp.Do the Pats go with the same tandem between the pipes ? Do the Pats tighten up defensively,and go with some new blood on the back end? Is there any forward prospects that could make it to the starting line up when the season begins? It will be interesting to see where the Pats allocate positions for 20 yr olds.

patsdude114
08-29-2010, 03:04 PM
is #7 on team white the new swede Dman?

Also Sparrow better not make this team, he is so clumsy with the puck its pathedic. He isnt good enough to be a shut down Dman, he is decent with playing the body but i just dont see him making this team when there r other younger prospects who could do the same job & be given abit more leeway for making mistakes then a guy like Sparrow who has been around for a couple yrs now off & on.

Mitchell looks very good this year. Think this is finally going to be his break out year offensively. Anything less then 20 goals (altho 25 to 30 should be more like it) from Mitchell this year & i think he underacheives.

nivek_wahs
08-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Well westcoast there is legit competition for jobs but I'm not sure if the competition is much better (in many cases) than what we have already.

With the goalie prospects at camp I think Guhle and Ketlo stay.... for now. Lang may be looking outside for some goalie depth. Although Hewitt has looked good I don't know if he has supplanted the returnees.

The defence.... in my opinion have 4 guys that will make it and the rest is pretty much a roll of the dice. Carlson, Davidson, Bell and Blidstrand are the top 4. After that it's anyone's guess.

With regards to the forward prospects the only one that is almost an absolute lock is Chandler Stephenson. Other than that the 16 year old crop is not super great (Balog and Logan were dealt away). Time will tell. The 15 year old crop is pretty good..... Klimchuk - WOW!

Although Mappin is the lone returning overager I think that Lang will be looking for 3 new ones to help round out the club. There are a few teams that have overage issues so look for Lang to try to land a couple (or three).

nivek_wahs
08-29-2010, 04:21 PM
To answer your question patsdude.... yes Blidstrand is white #7.

I agree with you on Sparrow. There are a bunch of kids that are just as good as or better than him. Time will tell.

I so hope Mitchell can pot 25+ this year.... he's got the speed and the shot.... just needs the chance.

west coast
08-29-2010, 05:12 PM
with the big wild card being the 20 yr old position.Where would you guys slot in the 3 twenty year olds that the Pats will have on their roster.Do the Pats pick the 3 best 20 players available or do the select 20 year olds based on a team need.It seems like all positions are open.However,teams dont normally go with a 20 year old goalie.Todd Mathews from the Kootney Ice is a stellar goalie and might be a good fit.What are some names of possible 20 year old players that would be a good fit in Regina?

nivek_wahs
08-29-2010, 07:11 PM
To be honest.... the way the Pats are setup it would be an idea to pick up a overage goalie. That would basically mean that they would have to move Ketlo and or Guhle. But with that being said they really don't have a true prospect goalie that could come in and fir the "back-up" mold.... that is unless they go out and recruit a top end kid.

The second spot would probably be best to have on the back end. A big bruising defenceman that can mentor the kids.

The third spot I would hope to be filled by a skilled centre (preferably with some size) that could anchor the second line.

I really have no names to bandy about just due to the question marks with so many teams. I do agree that Todd Mathews would be a decent pick-up but with our system is he really any better than Ketlo/Guhle? I dunno.

witness
08-29-2010, 09:50 PM
I think that using a 20 for a goaltender would be a waste. I believe that Guhle is the guy.
You want some names:
How about Tyler Schmidt from TC? Big stay at home d-man from Winnipeg. But, TC only has 4 20's in camp and one is a Euro goaltender (a two spotter).
Why not dream big and hope to bring a couple of guys closer to home.
How about Fiddler from Calgary? Or Cruise from TC.
But, to bring in any of these guys will cost some prospects and the Pats cupboard is not extremely deep.
This GM's assets are limited because of past sins of the last GM. But, maybe he can work some magic. The Pats do have a couple of 17 year old d-man (Borstmayer and Friesen) that are marketable and maybe expendable. I guess that would depend on how some of the 16 year olds perform.

patsdude114
08-30-2010, 11:53 AM
ok kev here is a question for u....

Who is wearing #2 on the RED TEAM, that kid was a stud last night in the rookie scrimage game. I noticed he is wearing the Pats pants & gloves (which is my guess they r drafted by the Pats then as other kids just had there own personal gear) on he RED TEAM there were a few kids that really stood out #11 #15 #19 along with #2 on D

On the GREY TEAM i found there wasnt really a kid that stood out as much... #11 on GREY was pretty decent

I had to go last night during the VETS scrimmage after the 2nd period but i must say the collision between Mappin & Mitchell (in the 1st i believe) was great, looked like Mappin got the worst of it with a cut lip. Then towards the end of the 2nd period i seen Mitchell gave Mappin another good shot from behind into the boards, friendly battle?? or does Mitchell not like Mappin much?

Also i love it hot Hutt was matched up against Weal for faceoffs, made Weal look VERY good at faceoffs until Weal has to face Eakin lol I like Weal dont get me wrong but he isnt that strong on faceoffs for a centerman, hopefully a year older gives him more strength in the draws

nivek_wahs
08-30-2010, 12:29 PM
RED
2 Kyle Burroughs
11 Brett Harris
15 Chandler Stephenson
19 Morgan Klimchuk

GREY
11 Branden Halbgwechs

Now I'll get back to watching the rookie game.

patsdude114
08-30-2010, 01:21 PM
how old r these kids? if i remember correctly Stephenson can make the team this year....

arrgh i so want to be there right now watching... but cant til abit later on ill prob be taking in this evening stuff

patsdude114
08-30-2010, 02:24 PM
another question... who is the dark skinned guy?? wearing #29 on blue, he seems to be a very strong guy & Hunt seems to like the guy. He seems to understand the drills which Hunt is trying to teach them, a few times yesturday he was the 1st winger in his group to do the drill cuz Parker didnt seem to understand what Hunt was saying

Edit: Bryton Mills is who you are looking for.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Unless the camp list is wrong, Ive noticed alot of the 2008 draft class is absent from camp. Among those few is Dayton Reinboldt who I thought had a pretty good season last year in AAA. I expected him being up there with the top rookies in competing for a spot, so its weird to see he isnt even at camp.

oh well, I guess.

hockeyfan123
08-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Another guy I would be shocked if he made the team is Favreau. There are kids that are as good as him at camp. Sparrow wont last another 2 weeks is my guess.

nivek_wahs
08-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Unless the camp list is wrong, Ive noticed alot of the 2008 draft class is absent from camp. Among those few is Dayton Reinboldt who I thought had a pretty good season last year in AAA. I expected him being up there with the top rookies in competing for a spot, so its weird to see he isnt even at camp.

oh well, I guess.Of the teams '08's Myles Bell and Tyler Borstmayer are on the club (but you knew that already).

Dyson Stevenson has a legit shot at making the club on a full time basis this year.

Cory Nygaard is hurt so I'm not sure how that affects his long term status with the team.

Michael Sagen is around.

Tyler Pavkovich may make the club as a shutdown type d-man.

5 of our '08's are at camp. 6 if Nygaard wasn't hurt.

nivek_wahs
08-30-2010, 04:04 PM
how old r these kids? if i remember correctly Stephenson can make the team this year....

arrgh i so want to be there right now watching... but cant til abit later on ill prob be taking in this evening stuff

Team Red and Grey were all 15 and 16's.

nivek_wahs
08-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Another guy I would be shocked if he made the team is Favreau. There are kids that are as good as him at camp. Sparrow wont last another 2 weeks is my guess.I wouldn't be shocked about anything.... but I agree with you.

witness
08-30-2010, 04:37 PM
OK, I take it back, some of these young guys can really play. It will be interesting to see what they can do against older players.

Here are some of my players to watch over the next few days:
Davidson - Can he be the shut down guy or are they going to have to go out and get a 20 year old
Spooner - Has he developed into a puck mover or will he be some trade bait
Borstmayer, Friesen, Pavkovich and Peel - might be fighting for the last 2 defense spots with an outside chance for Randall and Whelan

Muench - We know he can play, but does he want to.
Fossen - Has the skill
The 16 year old crop of Stephenson, Halbgewachs, and Reeve - could be the second coming of the Pup line
Klimchuck, McLean and Hunt - just because they are fun to watch and dream about the future.

nivek_wahs
08-30-2010, 04:56 PM
OK, I take it back, some of these young guys can really play. It will be interesting to see what they can do against older players.

Here are some of my players to watch over the next few days:
Davidson - Can he be the shut down guy or are they going to have to go out and get a 20 year old
Spooner - Has he developed into a puck mover or will he be some trade bait
Borstmayer, Friesen, Pavkovich and Peel - might be fighting for the last 2 defense spots with an outside chance for Randall and Whelan

Muench - We know he can play, but does he want to.
Fossen - Has the skill
The 16 year old crop of Stephenson, Halbgewachs, and Reeve - could be the second coming of the Pup line
Klimchuck, McLean and Hunt - just because they are fun to watch and dream about the future.

I think Davidson can become that d-man but I still think they will be looking for a bruiser on the back end and I do think it will be an overager.

Spooner is lights out offensively (at least at camp) but he is not very good defensively.

If you look at the defence I would say the teams top 4 are: Carlson, Davidson, Bell and Blidstrand (by default).

That leaves Spooner, Borstmayer, Pavkovich, Whelan, Sparrow, Peel, Mueller, Friesen battling for 4? jobs.... Hmmm....

Muench has looked good all camp and like you said if he wants to he could easily step in.

The 15's are SICK! Klimchuk, McLean, Hunt, McCrea, Burroughs, Hannoun are all going to be good.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Just had a little look-see through the camp roster, and man do we have alot of small players. I mean, having Weal is fine(awesome), same with Gusty and Hutt, but this Jung kid seems poised to join too, same with Stephenson, and we might even add Muench who could legally be a midget. Perhaps its to compensate for the lack of 'proven' offensive depth, and maybe because the league is getting softer too, but even though the speed and skill is nice to add, we cant have too many stumps on the ice or we'll get pushed around out there.

Dont get me wrong though, I like the addition of these castoffs overall. Havnt heard much about Hall, but Muench and Balness have decent chances of making the team from what I have read. It makes up for the loss of Mulder, and adds healthy competition along with many of these promising young players.

I wonder who this years camp surprise will be, like that Harnden kid was last year. Anyone who has watched camp might have a better guess at that than me, but it should be interesting to see how things turn out.

Toswammi
08-30-2010, 05:36 PM
As we saw in Swift last year. Muench has all the talent to be a really good player. It is a shame that he just doesn't seem to have the work ethic or attitude to turn himself into a productive player.

nivek_wahs
08-30-2010, 06:01 PM
As we saw in Swift last year. Muench has all the talent to be a really good player. It is a shame that he just doesn't seem to have the work ethic or attitude to turn himself into a productive player.He's looked good. Being competitive and playing hard. If he plays like that for the season I think he will be a fine addition.

nivek_wahs
08-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Just had a little look-see through the camp roster, and man do we have alot of small players. I mean, having Weal is fine(awesome), same with Gusty and Hutt, but this Jung kid seems poised to join too, same with Stephenson, and we might even add Muench who could legally be a midget. Perhaps its to compensate for the lack of 'proven' offensive depth, and maybe because the league is getting softer too, but even though the speed and skill is nice to add, we cant have too many stumps on the ice or we'll get pushed around out there.Hutt is smaller.

Dont get me wrong though, I like the addition of these castoffs overall. Havnt heard much about Hall, but Muench and Balness have decent chances of making the team from what I have read. It makes up for the loss of Mulder, and adds healthy competition along with many of these promising young players.Other than Stephenson, Peel and a couple of others the most promise is with the 15 year olds. They got some talent.

I wonder who this years camp surprise will be, like that Harnden kid was last year. Anyone who has watched camp might have a better guess at that than me, but it should be interesting to see how things turn out.I can't really say as to who has been a surprise in a good sense.... most are pretty much what was expected. The surprise in a bad way..... is the play of Sparrow, Favreau and Borstmayer none of them seems to have improved. I know it's early but I think some of the kids may have their number(s).

patsrock83
08-30-2010, 06:10 PM
If Dyson Stevenson makes the team he will be all of our favorite player..man did he own parker in that fight. As for goalies they both need to go, i dont have any suggestions on what to do but man o man are they terrible, kevin wont agree (maybe on ketlo) but we should have kept Tendler i dont know if he would end up being good but its an improvment..

nivek_wahs
08-30-2010, 06:13 PM
If Dyson Stevenson makes the team he will be all of our favorite player..man did he own parker in that fight. As for goalies they both need to go, i dont have any suggestions on what to do but man o man are they terrible, kevin wont agree (maybe on ketlo) but we should have kept Tendler i dont know if he would end up being good but its an improvment..Hey patsrock thanks for stopping by. Stevenson is a keeper.... full of energy and not afraid to drop the mitts.

I'm not too keen on our current goaltending situation and you know how I feel about it. DT was the man.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-30-2010, 08:04 PM
I agree with westcoast that maybe a trade for a OA goalie might be what we need. Both the goalies we have didnt seem confident enough before to be the starter and if nothing has indeed changed, then thats the best option....though I wouldnt give up on Guhle yet.

Seems like we go through some type of goalie situation every year. It almost makes me miss the Rowat days.

Hutt is smaller.

Then I hope one of them learns to play like Theo Fleury out there.

Also on your other point, Borstmayer is one of the guys I could see really making strides with his game as the season goes on.

nivek_wahs
08-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Then I hope one of them learns to play like Theo Fleury out there.

Looking a little closer Hutt, Muench and blue #28 are all about the same size. Muench is definitely slighter.

So far tonight Hutt is the best (or at least one of the top 3) players for Blue.

west coast
08-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Hutt is smaller.

Other than Stephenson, Peel and a couple of others the most promise is with the 15 year olds. They got some talent.

I can't really say as to who has been a surprise in a good sense.... most are pretty much what was expected. The surprise in a bad way..... is the play of Sparrow, Favreau and Borstmayer none of them seems to have improved. I know it's early but I think some of the kids may have their number(s).

honestly,it really bothers me that the above mentioned Sparrow,Favreau and Borstmayer have not improved.News Flash-the team did not make the playoffs last year.Favreau and Borstmayer were high drafts picks.My patience is wearing pretty thin .I am interested in the exhibition games on the weekend.Perhaps ,Mr Lang could move some bodies and put his mark on this team

nivek_wahs
08-30-2010, 11:32 PM
honestly,it really bothers me that the above mentioned Sparrow,Favreau and Borstmayer have not improved.News Flash-the team did not make the playoffs last year.Favreau and Borstmayer were high drafts picks.My patience is wearing pretty thin .I am interested in the exhibition games on the weekend.Perhaps ,Mr Lang could move some bodies and put his mark on this teamOf the three I really think Borstmayer can only get better. He's a tall lanky kid that once he figures out how to use his size and decent speed he will turn out to be a good one. I have honestly liked him since training camp last year. I hope he sticks and is given a chance to improve (because I think he will).

patsdude114
08-31-2010, 11:54 AM
As for goalies they both need to go, i dont have any suggestions on what to do but man o man are they terrible, kevin wont agree (maybe on ketlo) but we should have kept Tendler i dont know if he would end up being good but its an improvment..

Ive been saying all along Guhle is much better then Ketlo, Ketlo was terrible last year & he isnt looking any better in camp either. Guhle at least has age on his side (a year younger) & needs to learn from a season vetern (that isnt Ketlo) I never did understand why we got rid of Rowat last year when Guhle is the exact same goalie type as Rowat is (a puck blocker) Guhle could of learned alot from Rowat last year, but Mr. Brains (Parker) decided it was best to move Rowat & go with 2 inexperienced goalies in year u knew it was the last to have a elitle player like Eberle. DOESNT MAKE SENSE!

west coast
08-31-2010, 06:43 PM
i thought about my statement that i made yesterday when i stated that i s was disgruntled with some of the Pats not improving over the summer.Lets be honest,What you see is what you get with Sparrow ,he is not going to get any better.I have slow steady improvement with Borstmayer over the years but i guess that everyone expected alot more .I dont know what to make of Favreau?? He hasnt show alot.I get the feeling that there will be alot of changes this year.The Pats will probably upgrade their goaltending,add some new defenceman and it will be encouraging to see some fresh faces on the forward lines.The annual blue white game should be a coming out party for some of the youth and it will be nice to see the new swede .

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-31-2010, 07:13 PM
Patsdude, we got rid of rowat because he was 20 and we needed the OA space up front. Ketlo isnt 20 yet, so this year we will probably stick with him unless (A) he is awful, and then we move him at the trade deadline or (B) an offer for a really good 20 year old goaltender comes up we cannot refuse.

And westcoast, my theory is that the new swede replaces Sparrow. The reason we still have Sparrow in camp is probably to see whether he has improved or not. Since he was on the team, thats the least the team can do. Same with Favreau. If he doesnt cut it, then he goes to the SJ.

animalx
08-31-2010, 08:16 PM
watching last nights scrimmage gave me some hope for the coming years but some of the vets were same old same old. The swede looks good paired up with Spooner. Those two would be a good bet for the power play unit.
Sparrows time might be up this season i think.
I also hope Bell learned his lesson and starts wearing his mouthguard. A concussion on first day of camp should be a wake up call.

Very excited for upcoming season. I agree that a veteran goalie will help.

patsdude114
08-31-2010, 10:04 PM
Patsdude, we got rid of rowat because he was 20 and we needed the OA space up front. Ketlo isnt 20 yet, so this year we will probably stick with him unless (A) he is awful, and then we move him at the trade deadline or (B) an offer for a really good 20 year old goaltender comes up we cannot refuse.

I know why we got rid of Rowat but really was he the better choice then keeping Delahey?? I knew as soon as we got rid of Rowat that our chances of making the playoffs with inexperience between the pipes was done. Ketlo is brutal he isnt a starter in this league at all, a solid back up yes but not a starter.

If Ketlo is our starter again this year i dont expect much at all, he isnt a guy that can play 55 to 60 games a year.

Rebelsfan13
09-01-2010, 11:03 AM

And westcoast, my theory is that the new swede replaces Sparrow. The reason we still have Sparrow in camp is probably to see whether he has improved or not. Since he was on the team, thats the least the team can do. Same with Favreau. If he doesnt cut it, then he goes to the SJ.

Would Regina give up anything of value for Kuemper and don'e say Mappin we are not taking him back lol and he is not of "value".

witness
09-01-2010, 02:08 PM
I will admit that I have not seen much of the players this pre-season. but, I just don't see the point of trading assets for a 20 year old goaltender. I think that Guhle has potential. I do believe that he is the starter of the future. The biggest thing that the Pats need is a defenseman and center preferably with size.

The Pats just picked up Reddin from PA. I would hope they can do something with Saskatoon. All of Saskatoon's cast offs would be an upgrade. Both Acolatse and Toomey (I would even settle for Boyer) would look good in a Pats sweater. It would be wishful thinking to get Frazee from MJ, but I can always hope.

Players that I think might be expendable:
Spooner - has an offensive upside. An 18 year old is attractive to other teams. The trouble is he is a bit of a gamble in his own zone. I think the roster spot can be filled with a young guy like Peel.
Sparrow - limited skill and skating ability. But, the kid battles. If a team is looking for some depth, I think he can be had for a 6th or later pick. His roster spot can easily be filled with Borstmayer or Paskovich.
Hutt - Great hands, very skilled. I don't think he can spend another year in Hunt's doghouse. Even thought they keep saying that everyone has a clean slate, that doesn't appear to be true.

This team will be stronger next year and will be a contender the year after. It would be a shame to give up some young guys in hopes that the Pats might just blow instead of totally suck this year.

patsdude114
09-01-2010, 03:30 PM
This team will be stronger next year and will be a contender the year after. It would be a shame to give up some young guys in hopes that the Pats might just blow instead of totally suck this year.

Big difference is....... Parker isnt out GM Chad Lang is, look what Lang did for MJ i dont see him making retarded trades like Parker did just to have a chance at being in the playoffs. But i dont think the Pats will be as bad as everyone seems to think.

I think the Pats will finish 7th a point or 2 out of 6th, but alot depends who our goalie is.... If its Ketlo we miss the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

nivek_wahs
09-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I think the Pats will finish 7th a point or 2 out of 6th, but alot depends who our goalie is.... If its Ketlo we miss the playoffs for a 3rd straight yearHey there... hold up. Ketlo isn't that bad and you can't just blame the netminder for missing the playoffs. Many nights we could have had the second coming of Josh Harding and still not won.

Chad Lang is going to make changes. Picking up Reddin from PA is going to be a step in the right direction. If he fills the 2nd line centre spot he immediately increases our spped (over last years' 2nd line centre). Can't go wrong with steps in the right direction. I hate to say this but I'm not a fan of either goalie BUT they are both capable netminders and I won't be too unhappy with either as starter. I can't wait til next year because I think Burghardt will have a legit chance to make this team..... he's gonna be a good one.

With Ketlo or Guhle or whomever is in goal I do believe that this Pats team will be an actual team not Team Eberle and Teubert. I love the promise that this team has. II think even though they will most likely be a mini team they may just surprise many o folks.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
09-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I dont really care if Sparrow is gone, but Id hold onto Spooner. Kid is young, and I think will put up some numbers this year.

Totally wouldnt trade Hutt. He can be an important offensive player for the next couple years, and is more valuable to us than on the trade market with the whole size issue. Even if Hunt doesnt like him, worth a shot.

As for the Reddin trade, Im not all that sure. Got him for nothing, could pay off but seems like we couldve waited and went for someone more proven. Though he is a similar player to mappin, maybe its to create competition between the two for one spot?

patsdude114
09-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey there... hold up. Ketlo isn't that bad and you can't just blame the netminder for missing the playoffs. Many nights we could have had the second coming of Josh Harding and still not won.

Oh i know at times Harding couldnt of won us games last year but Ketlo's rebound control has to be 1 of the worst in the league & gives up more goals then he should cuz of it. I hope Ketlo can prove me wrong but i am not a fan of his nor will i ever be, Guhle is twice the goalie Ketlo is.

The thing that gets me is we had a top notch goaltending prospect in Tendler (a Regina kid as well) & stupid Parker trades him for next to nothing really. Spooner has some upside to him but lets face it do u think Hay would of let him go if he saw something good in Spooner??

Arthur Fonzerelli
09-01-2010, 07:40 PM
How much success has Curtis Hunt had as coach of the Pats?

patsdude114
09-02-2010, 02:52 PM
How much success has Curtis Hunt had as coach of the Pats?

Very little he is a very over-rated coach forsure, young players dont get much of a chance to prove themselves unless u r a elite prospect. He does demand accountability & attention n the defensive zone. He plays the crap out of the veterns be it if they deserve the ice or not ie... Leffler most of last season

west coast
09-02-2010, 06:45 PM
i like the new player,Colin Reddin .The addition adds depth to a forward group that will probably rely on its top line or possibly top 2 units this year.It would be nice if the Pats can manage some balanced scoring this year.They could probably pick up another pretty good forward or two with their last 20 year old position.I am not convinced that Mappin is guaranteed one of the 20 year old spots.I would like to see the Pats go after a goalie or a forward with their remaining twenty year old spots.The defence corps actually looks to be promising this year