PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp 2010

dondo
08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Training Camp 2010

I was hoping to write a lot more about training camp, but going to just the work-outs this weekend didn’t give me enough of a idea about how these players will fair in game situations. The fact that they mixed up all the sweater colours and numbers for the skates on Sunday didn’t help when it came down to trying to identify specific players from the main camp.

I enjoyed seeing some of our rookies on Saturday and other than Aaron Archer who looked to have a solid work-out, most of the players I noticed made main camp, including a few 15 year olds that were working their butts off.

I noticed Dexter Dancs as a small speedy skilled forward ala Chucky. I loved the blazing speed of Mitch McAllister and as a smallish player he held his own well. Dalton Sward was not as dominant nor as a impactful as I felt a first round pick should be and slightly disappointed me, although he had his moments. Matt Bellerive was solid in all of his drills and looks to be the kind of player to challenge for a spot. I felt Scott Cooke had the skills, but his attitude seemed to be a bit light on the work ethic and listening from my perspective. Nice shot though. Tanner Posch played big and had some good mobility.

Unfortunately 2010′s first round pick, Anthony Ast, had hip flexor problems on Friday and did not skate on Saturday. I was really looking forward to seeing this kid. Big D-man Austin Kernahan was a bit slow, but very mobile for his size, good defensive instincts though could be a great shut-down guy. Blake Orban looks ready to make the jump, decent instincts better than average shot in my mind. Gushue and Tradewell also got small checks beside their name.

Rookie Camp participants who made Main Camp are as follows:

Goalies: Matthew Tompkins, Stephen Heslop, Scott Legault
D-Men: Blake Orban, Nicholas Gushue, Austin Kernahan, Tyler Lewington, Marlon Sabo, Trevor Lima, Brent Tradewell, Brett Kulak, Justin Toomey, Sean Dupras
Forwards: Logan Harland, Landon Robin, Matt Bellerive, Austin Vetterl, Kevan Kilistoff, Brendan Dennis, Tanner Posch, Jake Mykitiuk, Bryson Gore, Dexter Dancs, Dalton Sward, Jackson Houck, Mitch McAllister

Priceisright
08-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Please tell me the Giants are looking for a number one goalie? We surely can't be going with Segal?:confused: