PDA

View Full Version : player cuts

grainbear
09-16-2010, 07:57 PM
interesting that the top 3 draft picks from 94 are now on their way back to most likely their midget teams. I must say that Soffilas, Ramsay, Kuvaev, and maxwell looked good enough to make the club, Based on training camp I thought Balog and Guieli performed better earlier in training camp . I like the fact that even the three sent home were alright . For a small guy I thought Soffilas looked good on the penalty kill as he did a great job with his speed taking the shots away from the opposition d-men. I see that Calgary has got a couple of guys back from NHL camps so if they play I think the game will be more intense than other wise. Would like to get some updates on the injuries, I am sure that Hulit is a concussion with the hit from behind

canes77
09-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Yep I agree - Sofillas, Kuvaev, and Ramsey should def stick with the club. They excelled when it was 70% rookies in camp, and then stepped it up when it was mostly vets competing against them. I would include Maxwell for sure but he just seems too small yet. He could no doubt play on the top 2 lines in terms of skill level, hockey sense, and speed... but looks so tiny out there. That being said, I didnt see him get hit once on Tues vs Red Deer. He already knows exactly where to be on the ice and if any two brothers deserve to play on a team together, it's these two!

We all love the rookies coming up... now as for the vets, which ones will be cut? I could name a few forwards who were pushed out by the rookies... but on D, all 9 that are left are WHL calibre (including a couple more that were already cut). Hopefully some other teams agree and perhaps we see a deal get done for a top forward? The opposite of last year's Beach trade (2 D for 1 F) maybe?

I hope Hulit isnt out for long! I was shocked how that hit on Tues was unpenalized, I could see if the ref didnt call much all game long but wow! And this from a veteran WHL ref as well. Not only did the Canes beat RD but they beat the imbecile of a ref.

canes watcher
09-17-2010, 04:02 PM
There were bad calls both ways. The Hulit hit was clearly a terrible miss, but he made tons of awful calls all night. It gets you used to the regular season, when the reffing is bad almost every night.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
09-17-2010, 06:03 PM
...could include Moser, Tarnasky and Reners. I would think that most of the other vets, Hood, Sutter, Braes, Fyten, Burgland, Maxwell and Ross would be pretty good bets on staying. Their veteran defense corps are sure to stay unless there is a deal where a defenseman or two is moved for a scoring forward. Ross is an overage which could see him dealt as part of a deal for an overage forward. But on the upside, Ross is valuable in that he can play up front or on defense, like he did the other night when we ran short of "d" men.

The only thing for certain is that our goaltending will be Anderson and Tait to start the season. Kovacks has looked very good for a 16 year old but is slated to head back to midget.

All in all, for a change, this club is dealing from strength especially on the back end.

Can't wait for the home opener! :bevvy:

LET THE PUCK DROP NOW!