PDA

View Full Version : Defence

Brandonite
09-17-2010, 06:23 PM
TIME FOR A NEW THREAD!!!! That other one is getting ridiculous! The Wheat Kings open up the regular season next Friday and still currently sit with 12 defencemen on the roster. Thats including 20 year olds Darren Bestland & Mark Schneider. They clearly need to get down to 7 d-men and I hate when McCrimmon carrys 17 year olds for 6 weeks into the year making them sit in the stands before he sends them down to AAA or Junior A. Im hoping thats not the case this season. Melnychuk & Miller are clearly locks. Who are the other 5 spots to be taken. I keep hearing Bestland is heading back to Selkirk and Schneider is going to school but clearly if they came to camp, they came to earn a spot for the Wheat Kings! My picks:
Melnychuk
Miller
Bestland
Rene Hunter
Eric Roy
Jordan Fransoo
Kyle Kryzaniak (sp).

I know alot of people are going to disagree with Kryzaniak but I think with the inexperienced d-men on the roster to start the year, with him having 2 years already of Junior A experience that will certainly help this young defence. I don't see him being with the team in January but to start the year I do. However, Im sure the Hombolt Broncos (SJHL) will be happy to get him back as they host the RBC Cup next season...

Jimbo24
09-17-2010, 07:01 PM
My guess
Miller
Melnychuk
Roy
Bestland
Hunter
Fransoo
Pulock

dagley
09-17-2010, 11:01 PM
My guess
Miller
Melnychuk
Roy
Bestland
Hunter
Fransoo
Pulock

Pretty much has it...Kryzaniak is terrible. Id like to see Kuczek stick around.

sbtatter
09-18-2010, 02:37 AM
My guess
Miller
Melnychuk
Roy
Bestland
Hunter
Fransoo
Pulock

Only change is kuczek over pulock for me

Wheatie Pete
09-18-2010, 08:31 AM
miller
melynchuk
roy
fransoo
hunter
pulock and/or kuzak (looked lost last night)
d-man aquired through trade

I have heard rumblings that KM i going to keep a 20 yr old goalie. Much to the disapproval of most on this thread.
-Start Liston slow into the DUB alternating him with a vet goalie.
- the vet is no threat to him for the longterm or competition which adds extra pressure if the other goalie is close to the same age.
-The vet can help with confidence building and tutelage. Also if the vet and Liston are both playing great for their starts,
-the vet would be better trade bait down the road. Trade one overage goalie for a 18 or 19 yr old def now. The other later on in the season.
if Liston is really going to be as good as most predict, why would you create a potential confidence breaker with a competition with a lesser goalie. Especially if Liston has a few bad games and goalie # has a few good ones. With a vet goalie that doesn't happen.

Brandonite
09-18-2010, 09:57 AM
miller
melynchuk
roy
fransoo
hunter

I have heard rumblings that KM i going to keep a 20 yr old goalie. Much to the disapproval of most on this thread.
- the vet is no threat to him for the longterm or competition which adds extra pressure if the other goalie is close to the same age.
-The vet can help with confidence building and tutelage. Also if the vet and Liston are both playing great for their starts,
-the vet would be better trade bait down the road. Trade one overage goalie for a 18 or 19 yr old def now. The other later on in the season.
if Liston is really going to be as good as most predict, why would you create a potential confidence breaker with a competition with a lesser goalie. Especially if Liston has a few bad games and goalie # has a few good ones. With a vet goalie that doesn't happen.

Does anyone pay attention to how Andrew Hayes plays?? Hes BRUTAL!! How his name always gets considered to even play here is beyond me. That guy has had sooo many chances to be the #1 and run with it, yet he always falls and falls HARD! Last season, he had how many chances to lead this team. McCrimmon gave him chance after chance with the displeasure of all the fans to be the #1 goalie for Brandon in the Mem Cup. He even started him in the first game!!! He always disapoints and Im sick of hearing about Hayes, he's the same goalie he was when he got here at 17. He doesn't belong here. A 20 year old is supposed to be solid component to your team and Hayes is not a solid component to this team. Liston will easily push him aside for playing time and I personally dont want a 20 year old sitting on a bench, even if that someone is Hayes.

brandonboy
09-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Liston looked solid last night and so did Ty in his first couple of games.. I say go with them and keep Bestland.

As for everyone putting Fransoo on the team, I dont know if anyone watched him last night but he was really bad and is one of the slowest skaters I have ever seen. Just my opinion though im not sure if anyone else seen the same thing!

Brandonite
09-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I thought Rene Hunter was like 5'9" when he played his 1 game with Brandon last season? Now they have him listed at 6'0" and over 200 pounds. I thought he was an undersized defenceman but at 6'0" and 203, thats hardly undersized.

Brandonite
09-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Liston looked solid last night and so did Ty in his first couple of games.. I say go with them and keep Bestland.

As for everyone putting Fransoo on the team, I dont know if anyone watched him last night but he was really bad and is one of the slowest skaters I have ever seen. Just my opinion though im not sure if anyone else seen the same thing!

I think Bestland should be considered a lock for this team if hes willing to stay in Brandon (which he obviously is, if hes in camp). He was the teams Most Inspirational Player last year (with Miller). He provides lots of spark, and always is willing to stick up for a teamate, something you can never have too much of. With the young and likely weak defence to start the year, having Bestland around could be HUGE. He provides points, defence, leadership, and toughness. You gotta keep a guy like him around...

Digi
09-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Does anyone pay attention to how Andrew Hayes plays?? Hes BRUTAL!! How his name always gets considered to even play here is beyond me. That guy has had sooo many chances to be the #1 and run with it, yet he always falls and falls HARD! Last season, he had how many chances to lead this team. McCrimmon gave him chance after chance with the displeasure of all the fans to be the #1 goalie for Brandon in the Mem Cup. He even started him in the first game!!! He always disapoints and Im sick of hearing about Hayes, he's the same goalie he was when he got here at 17. He doesn't belong here. A 20 year old is supposed to be solid component to your team and Hayes is not a solid component to this team. Liston will easily push him aside for playing time and I personally dont want a 20 year old sitting on a bench, even if that someone is Hayes.

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you on that. If he is still here after the OA deadline, I won't be impressed.

Brandonite
09-18-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you on that. If he is still here after the OA deadline, I won't be impressed.

Exactly. He got so many chances to be the #1 goaltender and failed to do so time after time. It's ridiculous when you think about how many chances he was given to lead this team between the pipes. Its time to cut him loose

King Klash
09-18-2010, 05:51 PM
miller
melynchuk
roy
fransoo
hunter

I heard this early on and everybody said I was wrong I think someone even called me a troll.

Johnny Table
09-18-2010, 06:19 PM
I think its pretty safe to say that neither Hayes or De Serres will be here by Friday. If Liston and RIMMER/Boes are the goalies tonight then we will know. Brandon will not go into the season with a goalie that hasnt played yet. As much as I like Darren I dont think he will be here. him and Miller bring the same thing to the team. Mark is a better skater and has more offence in his game which they need. Schneider will have a letter as he is a great teacher to the younger guys. Km really needs to get this roster down I have no clue how you can practise with that many kids on the ice. Go with Rimmer and Liston and then make a trade for a guy like Gronheyde in Kamloops or segal or Tendler in Van.

Johnny Table
09-18-2010, 06:23 PM
I think its pretty safe to say that neither Hayes or De Serres will be here by Friday. If Liston and RIMMER/Boes are the goalies tonight then we will know. Brandon will not go into the season with a goalie that hasnt played yet. As much as I like Darren I dont think he will be here. him and Miller bring the same thing to the team. Mark is a better skater and has more offence in his game which they need. Schneider will have a letter as he is a great teacher to the younger guys. Km really needs to get this roster down I have no clue how you can practise with that many kids on the ice. Go with Rimmer and Liston and then make a trade for a guy like Gronheyde in Kamloops or segal or Tendler in Van.

Well as I was done writing this I checked and DE SERRES is starting. Must be keeping him till oct 15 and making a trade for a Dman. I still think Art Bidlivski would be a guy to get.

Brandonite
09-18-2010, 08:47 PM

Schneider is a great leader for the younger kids absolutely but hes "glass". Hes likely to get injured putting his equipment on before the game. He is always hurt, he'll go 10 games and then miss 5. Besides the incident off ice with Bestland, he's never hurt. Obviously you cant predict injuries but Schneider is always injured with some sort of injury. Atleast take a guy thats going to help you from the ice rather than the stands...

dagley
09-18-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm really hoping we pick up a veteran dman before next weekends home & home.

mckayd2001
09-19-2010, 11:20 AM
I would like to see Brandon pick up Josh Caron from Kamloops.

jayson
09-19-2010, 01:38 PM
i sure hope we dont keep either 20 year old goalie or ill be mad :burningmad:

Brandonite
09-19-2010, 05:19 PM
i sure hope we dont keep either 20 year old goalie or ill be mad :burningmad:

Its clear to say that nobody really wants Hayes or DeSerress around this season and rightfully so! As I have said before, as a 20 year old you better bring something to the table! If there was ever an award for the WHL's Most Insonsistent Goaltender, both these guys would be in the running with Hayes coming out on top. You can never rely on them and thats not a promising thing to say about a 20 year old veteran. Cut them both and go with the kids where people will be more understanding if a few goals are let in now and then. Im tired of watching the same soft goals let in by Brandon's goaltending...

Trevor
09-19-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm really hoping we pick up a veteran dman before next weekends home & home.

I think it'll be Brock Sutherland from Tri-Cities, he's a local kid. And KM really likes local kids (not that there's anything wrong with that)

dagley
09-19-2010, 09:32 PM
I think it'll be Brock Sutherland from Tri-Cities, he's a local kid. And KM really likes local kids (not that there's anything wrong with that)

What is TC really laking, they look good from Owsley in goal to Hughesman, Reddick, Shinnimin and Macek up front.

Joe Hallenback
09-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Both Kuzcek and Elmes were cut today so that leaves 10 guys left

Melnychuk Miller
Fransoo Roy

I think those 4 are locks.

Bestland Schnieder
Hunter Krzyzaniak

These 4 will depend on the what they do with the overagers. If they keep 1 of them then one of Hunter or Kryzaniak will be cut. If they dont keep either of them then both Hunter and Krzyzaniak will make the team

Pulock Galbrath

I kinda think they like Galbrath's versatility as he can play forward or defense and I think Pulock may have outplayed Kuzcek for that 8th D spot

So we could start the season with

Melnychuk Miller
Fransoo Roy
??? ???
Pulock Galbrath

Probably end up with 14 forwards of

Glennie Schenn Stone
Wiebe Swripya Walker
Toews Ferland Meritz
Seaman Sinatynski Ciarelli

The final 2 spots will end up being Conroy and Meuiller. Although Gaudet could sneak in there. They haven't cut him yet.

Goaltending

Liston
???

I think it will be Deserres with Boes heading back to midget, Rimmer to Junior A and Hayes being released/traded

This weekend is going to be big for everyone that is still here. Looks like we won't have Schenn,Glennie and Stone in the Lineup so the guys here will have to step up and show they belong.

sbtatter
09-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I like Hunter a lot more than Krzyzaniak. If Krzyzaniak makes this team then we're in a lot of trouble!! If we keep Toews, Wiebe and an O/A goalie, then we pretty much have to trade for a steady d-man. personally, I'd keep Liston and Rimmer, freeing me up to keep Bestland or Scheider.

Trevor
09-20-2010, 12:22 PM
I liked Kuczek more than Kryzaniuk (I know that's spelled wrong lol) and expected Kuczek to make this team.

dagley
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
I liked Kuczek more than Kryzaniuk (I know that's spelled wrong lol) and expected Kuczek to make this team.

As did I. I think Kryzaniuk will get eaten alive in this league. He looks lost out there. However, when all is said and done I like this lineup:

Toews - Schenn - Mieritz
Wiebe - Glennie - Stone
Ferland - Swyripa - Walker
Seamen - Ciarelli - Meuiller

Melnychuk - Hunter
Schneider - Roy
Fransoo - Miller
Pulock

Liston
DeSerres

I think that's a pretty solid lineup, especially up front. That 4th line has tremendous size, Seamen looks like he's frigging 19. I am liking how everyone is doubting our teams ability to be a league contender. A few defense man and I think we could be in for a suprise :)...Not a big Galbraith fan, yet. lol.

Dwight Schrute
09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
do you guys really still have 5 goalies in camp ?

dagley
09-20-2010, 12:37 PM
do you guys really still have 5 goalies in camp ?

Sadly, lol. I think he's trying to offload DeSerres/Hayes...and Boes should get re-assigned shortly.

Chevy
09-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Not sure I would aggree on the Tender.....I like Boews, he is 6'2 195lbs and can stop the puck. I think go with two 17 year olds and lets see what happens......

dagley
09-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Not sure I would aggree on the Tender.....I like Boews, he is 6'2 195lbs and can stop the puck. I think go with two 17 year olds and lets see what happens......

He looks to 'lanky'

Trevor
09-20-2010, 03:21 PM
As did I. I think Kryzaniuk will get eaten alive in this league. He looks lost out there. However, when all is said and done I like this lineup:

Toews - Schenn - Mieritz
Wiebe - Glennie - Stone
Ferland - Swyripa - Walker
Seamen - Ciarelli - Meuiller

Melnychuk - Hunter
Schneider - Roy
Fransoo - Miller
Pulock

Liston
DeSerres

I think that's a pretty solid lineup, especially up front. That 4th line has tremendous size, Seamen looks like he's frigging 19. I am liking how everyone is doubting our teams ability to be a league contender. A few defense man and I think we could be in for a suprise :)...Not a big Galbraith fan, yet. lol.

You've got 4 overagers listed.

KM needs to get the goalies sorted out, then he can assess what else he needs. If he keeps a 20 year old goalie, then I think he needs to pick up a 19 year old veteran dman, someone who it won't cost too much to get and can play as a 20 year old.

Dwight Schrute
09-20-2010, 03:25 PM

has boes been that good ?

dagley
09-20-2010, 03:26 PM
You've got 4 overagers listed.

KM needs to get the goalies sorted out, then he can assess what else he needs. If he keeps a 20 year old goalie, then I think he needs to pick up a 19 year old veteran dman, someone who it won't cost too much to get and can play as a 20 year old.

Whoops, Rimmer instead of Jacob I suppose.

GlutenGlutton
09-20-2010, 06:23 PM
He looks to 'lanky'

Ever hear of a guy named Ryan Miller?

Chevy
09-20-2010, 07:27 PM
I think he has been pretty good. Why take an 18 to back up a 17?? Let the two 17's work together and I think it will work itself out.

The Wheatiemaniac
09-20-2010, 07:48 PM

In my estimation, Rimmer is here to stay. Rimmer and Liston looked like gamebreakers in their home appearances, and Boes was anything but. Boes impressed me late in the 3rd period of the intrasquad game, and not at all since. Any other year I'd say give him a chance, but Liston and Rimmer are the hot hands we should run with.

Rene Hunter is going to turn alot of heads this year as time rolls on. He's very strong on his skates, he's tough, and doesn't seem to panic when looking to pass or in pursuit.

I want to stay very positive on here this year, but one things for sure....Wheaton King has gotta go. But I just sit and smile when Jason Swyripa hits the ice. That kid alone is worth the price of admission.