PDA

View Full Version : 2010-2011 Season

CanesCrazy
09-18-2010, 09:49 PM
The pre-season is officially behind us. I have to say that I like what I see so far and am very excited about the future.

The vets that have played have all shown they have stepped up their game and deserve to be here. Reners, Berglund and Tot were all showing some great numbers prior to their injuries. Fyten looks like he is playing on a whole new level right now. Oslanski and Machacek are both strong forces out there. The coaching staff is going to have a tough time picking a back-up for Anderson as both Tait and Kovacs have proved themselves worthy.

The future looks good for the Canes right now! :yup:

Trav
09-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Tait is 19 though rite? I'd go with the younger kid.

CanesCrazy
09-18-2010, 11:00 PM
I would go with the young Kovacs as well. Lots of time to develop him into a great future starter.

Then again if I had any say, I would be deciding between Kovacs and Wakaluk. But what do I know... :hmmm:

metalrules
09-19-2010, 12:15 AM
Well since I had time, and our team was north, I went down to watch the AAA midgets play tonight and Wakaluk was starting for them, the kid looked really good, I think he might have battled for the back up job, had he been given a chance. So that show none of us know much...

west coast
09-19-2010, 02:01 PM
i dont see Drew Graham name mentioned in pre season ,is he injured? Heard that he would be competing for a dman job this year

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
09-19-2010, 03:15 PM
:bevvy:I believe that Drew Graham has quit hockey and has taken on another job in order to stay close to home.

As for Kovacs, he has played very well, but I also believe that he will be sent back to Midget in order to get a lot more playing time on a very competitive team.

Preston, Robson, and Kabayama have to be smiling from ear to ear with the decisions they will have to make especially with their defense. Hulit and Henry are ready to play in this league now, Jackson, Oslanski and Johnston are the building blocks for the next 2-3 seasons, and with veterans Mahachek,
Ryckman, Yadlowski and Reddington patrolling the blue line, it will make for some tough decisions. However I would think a deal would be in the works for a forward who can score on a regular basis. Some teams are apparently calling already about "d" men.

All in all, the back end looks solid. :bevvy:

EXHIBITION OR NOT, IT IS GREAT TO BEAT THE HITMEN!

taylor0017
09-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Am I the only person that thinks that Ryckman is not a WHL caliber d-man? He is very slow , I would keep one of the young guys and send Ryckman packing ....

scrawny69
09-20-2010, 08:01 AM
I couldnt agree more!!! Ryckman has not improved one bit from last years play when he was mercifully benched ( maybe he was hurt, who knows who cares!). I personally would package up him and Yadlowski for even an average scoring forward!! Or a Bag of Hockey Pucks which ever I was offered!!:clap::clap:

taylor0017
09-20-2010, 11:47 AM
thought I was the only one ...and yes him and Yadlowski for a bag of bags is about all your gonna get !!!

HURRICANE'S ROCK
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Anderson returned by the Capitals on Sunday. I wonder if Tait or Kovacs gets the backup job? My guess is Tait for now, but don't be surprised if we see Kovacs back this year.

grainbear
09-20-2010, 07:29 PM
I do not see why we do not carry all 3. Both backups deserve to be here but if it comes down to numbers I would go with Kovacs for two reason. The first is that he gets used to seeing WHL talent everyday in practice and also can be brought along slowly by our goaltending coach which he would not get back in midget. Realistically, unless Tait was to take the starting job from Anderson would we really keep him as a 20 year old next year ? I am also surprised that we have not seen any other roster moves unless it is due to the injuries to Berglund,Sutter,Tarnasky,Hulit and Moser . Did not get a chance to listen to Pats show tonight did any news come on that in regards to reassignments, trades and injury updates?

canes watcher
09-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Preston said in the paper about a week ago that Kovacs was going back, so it's Tait. Maybe he's like Sutter and will ride his starter for 70 games?

Arthur Fonzerelli
09-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Dylan Tait was an average JrB goalie and couldn't stick as a backup with a couple JrA teams. Kelowna gave him a couple training camps to show potential before they gave up on him. Not sure what the thinking is in expecting him to suddenly morph into dub goalie. If Anderson goes down for any length of time the Hurricanes will have to go into panic mode and pick up a qualified dub keeper but will have to give up equal value from the present lineup to get one.

doc64
09-21-2010, 11:30 AM
My thinking is that Kovacs goes back to midget and gets game time while Tait remains as the back up for emergency use if Anderson goes down. In a few weeks, after Kovacs has some game time, he comes back and replaces Tait as the full time back up and starts to give Anderson some games off.
Just a theory.

Happy for Anderson's return and his success at Capitals camp, good for kid landing the entry level contract.

grainbear
09-21-2010, 09:16 PM
I for one am really surprised by the return of Henry , the other moves did not surprise me but that one of sending Henry back is a major error. He was better then at least 3 of the older d-men and yes there is some loyalty to be shown but not when they were not as good. This is not to say the others are not good enough to be in the WHL only that if you keep the best he stays in Lethbridge. I for one hope that none of these good players get their noses out of joint and decide like Graham who I thought should have been here last year and then looks else where for other activities besides hockey or the Canes route. Still think we should have a red shirt roster of 5 players for each team that would practice with the team but not play games until the following year unless injuries intervene for the veterans, Perhaps too expensive but would love to see it implemented with perhaps local companies sponsoring a player for the year.My thoughts only ,go Canes go !

lostsheep
09-21-2010, 09:56 PM
what would the rough costs be?? to sponser a player for the full year?:hmmm:
________
Wendie 99 (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

grainbear
09-22-2010, 05:26 AM
I think they would include the following
Room and Board
spending allowance per day for the player
school expense for non residents
equipment costs including ongoing maintenance

Biggest cost would be the room and board

Gilligans
09-22-2010, 07:37 AM
I think the room and board is somewhere between $300 and $350 per month, the players only get something like $70 - 80 every two weeks, school fees are something like $100, I have no idea about the equipment because it can't be retail costs. Neat idea, having a business sponsor a kid.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Good idea, but here is a thought. Just how movitivated would the 5 red shirt players be if all they were doing is practicing with the team? Let say the cost is covered so the club is out nothing. But would the red shirts get more value out of playing competitive hockey rather than practicing? Brandon sent their players home for about 7-10 days before the Mem Cup because all they would be doing was practicing. Boredom would have become a big factor.

No matter what, the ideas and input that come down this whl pipeline are fun because we all can be GM's and Coaches with the same pay scale.

The Hurricanes should be better this year. Gone is the chaos and scrambling to fill roster spots for Preston and Robson. They are now in the process of putting their marks on the team.

Playoffs in the picture? Depends on Anderson's play and how much more scoring they get. :bevvy:

A WIN IN CALGARY WOULD START THE SEASON OFF ON A GREAT NOTE!

Dutchie
09-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Great idea, however I think what these kids need most of all is actual playing time so they can develop in game situations.If they could spend some time practicing with the 'Canes and being involved with the organization yet get the minutes with their respective teams,would be the ideal situation.This could, however become a logistical nightmare sending kids back and forth.

canes77
09-22-2010, 11:31 AM
It works in a few other sports but those usually involved older guys. As for the Canes' 94 crop, why would any player want to practise and sit in the stands for all 72 games? Especially at the age of 16, when they can all go back to their hometowns and dominate in Midget AAA.

At the same time though, I cant believe these moves. How a certain few of the Canes returning forwards are still on the club whereas Balog and Guiel were sent down. I didnt see all the vets during training camp, but those vets better have improved a lot since March if they've won jobs over some fine rookies!

HURRICANE'S ROCK
09-22-2010, 04:20 PM
At the same time though, I cant believe these moves. How a certain few of the Canes returning forwards are still on the club whereas Balog and Guiel were sent down. I didnt see all the vets during training camp, but those vets better have improved a lot since March if they've won jobs over some fine rookies!

Remember this is just the opening day roster. We will see who is on the ice come the New Year. I agree though that a few returning players need to "put up or shut up so to speak". Not to knock these kids, but the following guys have to take a giant leap forward from last year or new blood will need to be infused into the line-up. If Reners, Tot, Moser and Sutter don't fulfill their roles on this team, then replace them. There are probably a few more but these are the 4 I feel, depending on their level of play, can make a major difference one way or the other for the Canes this year.
I am not insuating they need to carry the team but they need to be leaps and bounds better than they were last year.
GO CANES:groovy:

PeacefulChaos
09-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Preston has just announced Mike Reddington is this years captain.

Congrats to Mike!!

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
09-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Preston has just announced Mike Reddington is this years captain.

Congrats to Mike!!

Very good choice. Having been on a Mem Cup winner in Spokane certainly will help him with his leadership.

I was looking at Cam Braes because of his style of play reminds me a lot of Carter Bancks and we will likely have Cam for 2 more seasons. But Preston and Kabayama could not go wrong with either of them.

Way to go Mike! :bevvy:

LETS SPOIL THE BANNER PARTY IN CALGARY!

moon
09-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Considering the team would be better off with him off the team I am not impressed with Reddington being the captain of the team, but I think that nowadays who is or isn't captain doesn't make much difference.

It would have been nice to see a kid like Braes that has been a hardworker and really done a great job of improving his game get the C.

grainbear
09-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Not one to judge prematurely, Please Moon explain yours reasons for the last statement. Perhaps after watching hockey for numerous decades I can learn something new as to how Reddington should not even be on the team

moon
09-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Not one to judge prematurely, Please Moon explain yours reasons for the last statement. Perhaps after watching hockey for numerous decades I can learn something new as to how Reddington should not even be on the team

He should not be on the team because as a 20 year old he is very weak defensively, offers little to nothing offensively, is slow and offers no toughness at all. I feel that every player, especially a 20 year old, should offer something and Reddington offers nothing out there but a warm body.

It will be tiring watching other teams walk around our 20 year old captain time after time this season.

shushu
09-23-2010, 05:44 PM
he is a true leader on and off the ice, couple that with the experiance of a mem cup win and the decision was easy........even if he is weak defencively..;)...that hilaroius........

shushu
09-23-2010, 05:51 PM
It works in a few other sports but those usually involved older guys. As for the Canes' 94 crop, why would any player want to practise and sit in the stands for all 72 games? Especially at the age of 16, when they can all go back to their hometowns and dominate in Midget AAA.

there is 2 or 3 forwards that do not belong in the dub unless they have changed from night to day this year...the only thing that comes to mind is preston will give then a chance for 6 or7 games then send them packing if they didnt improove.............

Bocephus
09-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Good luck to the boys tonight and lets have a tremendous season.

moon
10-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Tough loss for the boys out there, but hopefully one they can learn from.

They don't have near the talent out there to play a run and gun game and were lucky to get the two wins with being badly outshot.

Hopefully this is a game that the real coaches like Katamyama can use to work with the boys so they realize the defense is crap and guys like Reddington need huge help back there.

Bad result but overall a great start to the season.

shushu
10-02-2010, 02:12 PM
:
Tough loss for the boys out there, but hopefully one they can learn from.

They don't have near the talent out there to play a run and gun game and were lucky to get the two wins with being badly outshot.

Hopefully this is a game that the real coaches like Katamyama can use to work with the boys so they realize the defense is crap and guys like Reddington need huge help back there.

Bad result but overall a great start to the season.

bud.........

shushu
10-02-2010, 02:43 PM
of a seemingly hopeless game....it ain't pretty but it works for me, 5 out of a possible 6 point is a way better start to this season than last.. with a few trades down the road for a good forward or two this team could do alright this year..........................ps......i credit the amazing coaching style of Mr Preston and the stellar defencive play of mike reddington:bowdown: for this teams early success..................

grainbear
10-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Last night was again a slow start , is it time for some mental training so that the remaining players besides are goaltenders are ready to play. What has happened to the production we saw in the preseason from Cason we need that rather then seeing him taking misconducts and fighting majors . yes we need the edge , but gentlemen learn that on the west coast the game is more speed and offense that is what we will need once again to beat the next two teams.I was also surprised as to who we went with in the shootouts, our veterans are not always the best in breakaway hockey and that is what a shootout is

shushu
10-02-2010, 08:01 PM
what max ross i doing in the shootout is a mystery to me, the only thing i can come up with is the o/a cut down draft is right around the corner so lets see if he belongs here or not...if not that then who knows.....i was told from one of the portland fans berglund was pretty good in the that department so use him.................good luck tonight fella's.............

LHF
10-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I thought it was Cam Braes that shot in the shootout, not Max Ross. At least I thought that was what Sidlecki said. :confused:

shushu
10-03-2010, 04:02 AM
listened to most of the game before i went to work and checked the whl site after it was over and it stated/ http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/452/ that ross was our first shooter........

grainbear
10-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Do not ever believe what you read, similarly I listen to most of the game and then went to the notes and saw the statement about Ross. Glad to see that the choices made more sense, . Ross is doing his job and was glad to see he was rewarded with his first goal last night, to me it is ability to play two spots that makes him important to the team plus experience in the league and his leadership. We need others to step up and can not miss on golden opportunities like missing completely open nets. This will come as players begin to know when they have the splint second to bare down rather then just firing towards the net with a wave of the stick. This is not taught but is learned by game experience at the highest levels. Good Job so far Canes and hopefully we will be rewarded tonight for our efforts.