PDA

View Full Version : Giants 9 Bruins 4 Sep 24, 2010

dondo
09-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Giants Batter Bruins
Vancouver 9 Chilliwack 4

A rather odd game. Early on the teams exchanged goals, with the Bruins scoring first and the Giants replying almost immediately. None of the early goals in question would qualify as good goals let alone highlight reel goals. The team came out with good effort but entirely too scrambly, responding instead of dictating. Mark Segal had a rough night handling the puck and was frequently out of position before settling in late in the second. His team’s production gave him the leeway to flounder for awhile, allowing 3 goals on 12 shots at one point. Brendan Gallagher picked up where he left off last season scoring two and adding three helpers. The line of Craig Cunningham, Gallagher and Marek Tvrdon were a force. Ryan Howse scored three for his team and when the game was out of reach for his team, he made a point of dropping the gloves. He’s the Bruins captain and tonight he showed why. The Bruins were missing three top players out of their line-up still at NHL training camps.

The game changed late in the second when the Giants, trailing by one goal, scored three quick ones to take the lead and the momentum into the third. In the third they simply took over and whether it was a combination of the Bruins sitting back, or the Giants finding the fluidity and scoring touch they had been lacking the result was some very nice goals. Tvrdon had scored the tying marker in the second and nailed a wicked wrister in the third off of a brilliant quick feed from behind the net by Gallagher, mere seconds into the final frame. Gallagher set up Cunningham and scored a solo effort to round out the scoring. It was bit of a Jekyll and Hyde game, but in the end the home squad scored 6 unanswered goals to take the game back, gain complete control and get their first win of the season while discovering a little chemistry in the process.

The game had a fair amount of fisticuffs, with Brett Lyon dropping the mitts a couple of times to good purpose. Don Hay was saying in the post-game interview that it was probably Lyon’s best game as a Giant. Despite the –2 on the score-sheet, he was effective and his line acted as a catalyst for the other lines. Lyon, Michael Burns (Nathan’s older brother) and Jordan Martinook were snake-bit a few times in the game, but in the end that feisty energy line is what helped lift the team. James Henry tallied a goal and last years first round pick, Dalton Sward, found the twine chasing down a loose puck, coming around the net and making sure he put his own rebound home. Jordan Martinook got a pinball goal on the PP, getting the go ahead marker late in the second. Matt MacKay buried the puck off the ensuing face-off giving the Giants a two goal bulge going into the intermission. Wes Vannieuwenhuizen had a couple of fights and took a few physical penalties tonight.

In other news of the night the Giants have made a trade to pick up a true heavyweight with some offensive upside from the Saskatoon Blades. Randy McNaught a 20 year old who used to play for the Bruins is reputedly the toughest player in the East and his 6’4” 230lb frame will add some size and power to some of the Giants scoring lines. He’s the kind of player the Giants have been lacking and will keep other teams honest around the Giants smaller skilled forwards. A steal for a 5th rounder in 2011, in my opinion.

The Giants out-shot the Bruins 45-29. The home squad went 2 for 5 on the PP, while the Bears were 2 for 6. The refs were marginal and seemed to miss a bunch, but in the end they called the infractions the same way on both sides of the puck, so not much to grumble about. The Bruins had a bit of bad puck luck at the wrong times and although they led several times in the game they could not hold those leads for long, eventually giving up and getting run over by the G-Men. Lucas Gore and Braden Gamble both had some tough goals against. The Giants have their second tilt of the season tomorrow in Everett. Everett won their game tonight in last minute and handed the Giants a loss in preseason. The Giants will have to take the scrambly bit out of their game tomorrow and go for the skilled jugular sucking right off the opening face-off. Puck drops at 7:05 PST.

Three Stars

1. Brendan Gallagher
2. Marek Tvrdon
3. Ryan Howse

posted on my blog - A Shot From The Corner - http://giantshockey.wordpress.com

BruinsFan19
09-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Howse is not the Bruins captain. Manning is.

lostsheep
09-26-2010, 11:47 PM
I agree with the steal of a deal u got for Randy. I hope he continues to grow as a player in your system. I know hes a 20yr old, but wow did he improve during last season. I realy was wishing he would remain a Blade again this year but the numbers just didnt work out. Wish him the best of luck.
________
Yamaha Fjr1300 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_FJR1300)

dondo
10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I thought I saw Howse wearing the C (on the night) BFan19 -- is Manning back yet?

He looked good wearing the C at any rate :P