PDA

View Full Version : Note to media from raiders

westbeach55
10-06-2010, 10:23 AM
taken from taking note http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/

Members of the media who cover the Prince Albert Raiders received a note from the WHL club on Monday.
Signed by Bruce Vance, the club’s director of marketing, it read:
“As a review please find attached the 2010-11 WHL Media Services Policy.
“We welcome and encourage all media interviews to be done before or after games and practices as outlined in the policy.
“Interviews with players at any other time must be approved and arranged by (Vance, GM/head coach Bruno Campese or assistant GM/assistant coach Steve Young).
“Direct contact with the players at any time other than when they are at the arena is prohibited by the Western Hockey League.”
Furthermore, the note went on to point out that the Raiders “have changed our location for post-game interviews this season and appreciate the media’s cooperation with this. We would like to advise that access to this area should be via the stairs in the North east corner (by the weight room) only.”
The suggested route is longer than a direct route to the Raiders’ dressing room in the Art Hauser Memorial Centre and it keeps the media from walking in front of the door to that very dressing room.
The Raiders haven’t made the playoffs since the spring of 2007. All told, they have been observers in four of the last five postseasons and seven of the last 10.
This means that when they play, good seats still are available.
You might think then that the Raiders would be more concerned about improving access to the media than dictating terms of coverage.
But such is not the case.
This latest memo would seem to stem from whatever went on following the clash between Marc Mackenzie, then with the Raiders, and a would-be burglar in his billet’s home. (Mackenzie, you’ll recall, later was dealt to the Chilliwack Bruins. He perhaps paid the price for a difference of opinion between his father and Campese.)
Anyway, for whatever reason or reasons, the WHL and the Raiders chose not to capitalize on Mackenzie’s new-found fame after his physical confrontation with the burglar.
They never did make Mackenzie available to the media; no one held a news conference in an attempt to make hay out of the situation. You would think that it may have been worth someone’s while to hold a news conference — to bring in Mackenzie, along with a WHL official or two, a whole bunch of Raiders players and brass, a police officer or two and sing the kid’s praises.
At the same time, someone could have delivered the message that what Mackenzie did isn’t the recommended procedure when confronted by such a creature.
Dale McFee, a former Raiders player, is the president of the team’s board of directors and also is the Prince Albert city police chief. It might have been a natural for some kind of promotional tie-in between the Raiders, the city police and local and area schools.
But, instead of taking that tact, someone with some authority chose to issue a gag order that covered everyone in the Raiders’ organization.
Except that John MacNeil of the Prince Albert Daily Herald, recognizing this as a great news story, spoke with Mackenzie before the gag order was put in place. MacNeil called the billet home and left a message. Mackenzie, as any well-mannered young person should, returned the phone call. Just like that, MacNeil had his story.
The cat, of course, was out of the bag before The Daily Herald hit the street.
The punch-up between Mackenzie and the thief took place late on a Thursday morning. By that night, news of the incident was popping up on the Internet, in at least one forum and on Facebook, the latter having been posted by the billet Mom.
A gag order wasn’t going to stop people from talking about what was a great news story.
The WHL loves to tell people how much it is concerned with the education of its players, how it develops not only those players who will go on to professional hockey and how it helps prepare the others for ‘real’ life.
That being the case, perhaps it is time for the WHL to forget about gag orders and attempting to limit media access. Perhaps it should bring in a media consultant who could help those same players learn how to deal with newspaper, radio and TV reporters.
Perhaps it could do something to help its players improve their public-speaking skills.
And perhaps it should do away with gag orders. After all, they only make people ill.

gdrinnan@kamloopsnews.ca
gdrinnan.blogspot.com
Taking Note on Twitter

chalk_one_up
10-06-2010, 12:24 PM
http://www.saskjobs.ca/jsp/joborder/detail.jsp?job_order_id=316854

As evidenced from the link above, looks like someone got fired over the incident. Too bad.

Dwight Schrute
10-06-2010, 01:57 PM
what a joke, guess the comments about bruno running things like a dictator isnt that far off.
look at the blades, their website they even post who their listed players are. now forget ever getting anything but a staged cliche answer. John Macneil shouldnt have been fired, or quit over this. the herald should grow a pair and say forget it bruno you and your team do not generate enough interest to garner print in our paper.

RenegadeStylings
10-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Could someone explain the situation as to what exactly happened?

So MacNeill got fired or quit because he contacted Mackenzie to get a story without going through the team?

bigjimmer
10-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey should have,

This was not professional by any standards, any reporter with have a brain knows that you go through the team first, no matter what level your at.

Small town journalist at best.
________
Confucianism forum (http://www.religionboard.org/confucianism/)

Raider Believer
10-06-2010, 02:54 PM
What a mess! Let's concentrate on the road trip already!

Dwight Schrute
10-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Hey should have,

This was not professional by any standards, any reporter with have a brain knows that you go through the team first, no matter what level your at.

Small town journalist at best.
as opposed to the star journalist normally in pa ? it is a small town.

1: he reported a story
2: got both sides (probably knew he wouldnt get a straight answer from bruno)
3: didnt speculate or offer his own opinion just wrote what he was quoted.
4: didnt fabricate or mislead.

im sorry if it didnt paint bruno as the almighty savior of the raiders, but how was this not professional ? its more like it was strictly professional

chalk_one_up
10-06-2010, 03:46 PM
From my view, and again, I'm not educated on the protocol of journalism and the WHL, but it sounds like MacNeill heard about the story, took imitative to get the scoop (like a good journalism does), respected both parties in the matter and still got the blame? I have this suspicion that Bruno was upset that this came about, so he made an appoint to make claims in order to save his butt and at the same time, it came at the expense of Mr. MacNeill and MacKenzie.

At what point does a hockey figure like Bruno in a small market finally own up to his own wrong doings? Seriously..the guy dances around every subject if it is confrontational and doesn't seem man enough to handle adversity. I swear when he gets into arguments with his wife, he must covet, head down to the basement and build model airplanes until the heat has surpassed.

bigjimmer
10-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Honestly, I don't understand the Bruno bashing, the guy hasn't been perfect, but hell, so far this season, the team seems to be preforming well beyond expectation. So far many of the changes that I have seen this coaching staff put forth have been for the possitive and moved this club closer to how big market clubs seem to operate.

As for the reporter, everyone with half a brain knows that when dealing with athletes of any kind, interviews are arranged through the team, hence the role of a media relations liason of some sort.

Regardless, the team heads out on the road being .500 and that point become mute because of a reporter's error and a selfish kid who took his ball and went home.

Here's a cheer to the team on a succesful road trip and a jeer to all the negative nay sayers.
________
Interracial vid (http://www.****tube.com/categories/25/interracial/videos/1)

Dwight Schrute
10-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Honestly, I don't understand the Bruno bashing,
well take off the blinders and you can see why. lack of development. blaming all others never owning up to mistakes ever. the extremly long list of players wanting out. and the large number who want nothing to do with the raiders, and that most parents dont wanna send their kids to pa. then there is things like continuing to give deck rowley and button 35+ min in a blow out game (why not give the rooks some ice). there is a lot.
constantly complaining isnt going to do anything. most know this, some like me hope that he digs himself deep enough to bring change, or he changes and things brighten up. personally what i hope the most is that he doesnt hurt the raiders bad enough that they re-locate

westbeach55
10-06-2010, 10:02 PM
try being a little more positive if they can play like they did the last two games were in for some good hockey. I have to say we didn't win on the road much last year but going to home games you would walk out of the rink happy. don't get me wrong don't agree with everything bruno has done but he has done some good (not putting up with the cancers on the team which we had huge problems other years, team is in better condtioned shape then they have been) some of our pick up players have turned out pretty well. getting sick of hearing about players wanting out or not coming it happens to every team (players heading ncaa) and if they dont wanna be here get rid of them dont want them taking up ice time alot easier to draw players to the bigger markets (its sick how mckenzie comes here sits one game and wants out) still think he should of sat for a month then traded him. we just need to remail positive and keep this streak going

well take off the blinders and you can see why. lack of development. blaming all others never owning up to mistakes ever. the extremly long list of players wanting out. and the large number who want nothing to do with the raiders, and that most parents dont wanna send their kids to pa. then there is things like continuing to give deck rowley and button 35+ min in a blow out game (why not give the rooks some ice). there is a lot.
constantly complaining isnt going to do anything. most know this, some like me hope that he digs himself deep enough to bring change, or he changes and things brighten up. personally what i hope the most is that he doesnt hurt the raiders bad enough that they re-locate

Dwight Schrute
10-06-2010, 11:34 PM
try being a little more positive if they can play like they did the last two games were in for some good hockey. I have to say we didn't win on the road much last year but going to home games you would walk out of the rink happy. don't get me wrong don't agree with everything bruno has done but he has done some good (not putting up with the cancers on the team which we had huge problems other years, team is in better condtioned shape then they have been) some of our pick up players have turned out pretty well. getting sick of hearing about players wanting out or not coming it happens to every team (players heading ncaa) and if they dont wanna be here get rid of them dont want them taking up ice time alot easier to draw players to the bigger markets (its sick how mckenzie comes here sits one game and wants out) still think he should of sat for a month then traded him. we just need to remail positive and keep this streak going

i try to be. but keep things in perpective too. i just havent heard of any other team with the problems the raiders have and its frustrating. it actually is confusing. a good reporter lost his job cause he did his job, thats disturbing

bigjimmer
10-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Gregg Drinnan's blog confirms that the reporter was not fired, so everyone calm down and get back to supporting this team.

Honestly, it's amazing a team has stayed in this community this long...
________
Detroit, toledo and ironton railroad (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Detroit,_Toledo_and_Ironton_Railroad)

Barry Glass
10-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I wanted to address the rumours about John MacNeil leaving the Daily Herald.

John was not fired or laid off. He is going to another position within our parent company, Transcontinental, and will work in the Maritimes. The position is a promotion and something he sought on his own, but we wish him well in his new job.

John has been a valuable asset to our newsroom and I believe he has provided excellent coverage of the Raiders in particular and the WHL in general. I fully support the reporting John has done for us.

If anyone wants to contact me, please feel free to do so.

Thank you.

Barry Glass
Managing Editor
Prince Albert Daily Herald
bglass@paherald.sk.ca
306-765-1302
www.paherald.sk.ca

chalk_one_up
10-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I wanted to address the rumours about John MacNeil leaving the Daily Herald.

John was not fired or laid off. He is going to another position within our parent company, Transcontinental, and will work in the Maritimes. The position is a promotion and something he sought on his own, but we wish him well in his new job.

John has been a valuable asset to our newsroom and I believe he has provided excellent coverage of the Raiders in particular and the WHL in general. I fully support the reporting John has done for us.

If anyone wants to contact me, please feel free to do so.

Thank you.

Barry Glass
Managing Editor
Prince Albert Daily Herald
bglass@paherald.sk.ca
306-765-1302
www.paherald.sk.ca

Very classy of you to commence the truth. I apologize for my assumptions. When I put two and two together, it looked as if he got the boot.

Dwight Schrute
10-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Very classy of you to commence the truth. I apologize for my assumptions. When I put two and two together, it looked as if he got the boot.

i agree thank you for the truth barry. bad timing with everything else