PDA

View Full Version : Game 4-Tigers 2 at Hitmen 5

Hitmen1
10-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Sorry I'm late, been very busy at work.

After being challenged by the Calgary Hitmen coaching staff, Jimmy Bubnick has responded in a big way.

Bubnick scored a pair of goals and added an assist to lead the Hitmen to a 5-2 win over the Medicine Hat Tigers on Wednesday night in front of 6,894 fans at the Saddledome.

“It’s just one of those nights,” said Bubnick after a first-star performance. “Everything was going well. Our line gelled really well together I thought. We were generating a lot of scoring chances from the cycle down low. I’m going to have to put forth an effort like that nightly.”

It was the second straight win for the Hitmen, who started the season with two straight setbacks. Hitmen head coach Mike Williamson was pleased to see Bubnick respond with two solid games after the team’s slow start.

“We put some pressure on a few guys (and) he was one of them,” Williamson said. “The last two nights, he’s been one of our best players which he should be.”

Peter Kosterman, Justin Kirsch and Cody Sylvester, into an empty net, also scored for the Hitmen, while Emerson Etem replied with a pair of power-play goals for the Tigers (2-2-0).

Hitmen goalie Michael Snider was solid in net for the Hitmen as he made 26 saves, including several nice pad stops late in the second period.

“I felt confident going into the game,” Snider said. “I’ve had a couple good days of practising and I gained a little confidence from the last win. I’m just kind of riding a high horse out there and I feel good.”

Medicine Hat netminder Tyler Bunz made 24 saves in a losing cause.

Etem scored at 4:25 of the first period to put the Tigers up 1-0 before Bubnick responded with a shorthanded goal for the Hitmen. Bubnick then set up Kosterman for his first-ever WHL regular season goal to give Calgary a 2-1 lead.

The Hitmen then fired the first 12 shots of the second period to take a commanding 18-7 lead on the shot clock.

“We came out in the second and I think that’s the best hockey we’ve played all year,” Williamson said. “I thought we got complacent after that. With a little bit of puck luck and some great goaltending, we were able to hang on for the win.”

At 9:20 of the second period, Kirsch snuck a shot through Bunz’s pads to put the Hitmen up by a pair of goals before Etem notched his second of the contest at 2:34 of the final frame.

A short time later, Bubnick drove hard to the net and fired a shot wide before following up on the play to backhand a shot into the net behind Bunz.

“I managed to get behind their d-man,” said Bubnick, who took a nice pass from Cody Beach to create the scoring chance. “I drew it from my forehand to my backhand and missed the net. It came off the end wall and then I just put a backhand on net and it found its way in.”

Sylvester then rounded out the scoring with an empty-net goal.
http://www.hitmenhockey.com/article/bubnick-leads-hitmen-to-5-2-win-over-tigers

1. M.H Etem, (1) (Vey, Coyle), 4:25 (PP)
1. CAL Bubnick, (2) , 9:07 (SH)
1. CAL Kosterman, (1) (Bubnick), 17:42
2. CAL Kirsch, (2) (Roach), 9:20
3. M.H Etem, (2) (Coyle, Hamilton), 2:34 (PP)
3. CAL Bubnick, (3) (Beach), 6:04
3. CAL Sylvester, (2) , 17:32 (EN)