PDA

View Full Version : Giants 4 Blazers 5 OT - Oct 9, 2010

dondo
10-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Not a happy camper after this one -- if you don't feel like reading a complete shredding of the incompetent zebras tonight, skip the first paragraph.

Blazers Hack Giants
Vancouver 4 Kamloops 5 OT

Hey Derek (Zalaski) and Nathan (Wieler), when a goalie is run down in his crease, and I mean firmly set in the blue paint, by an opposing player with no one else around him and then that player scores… the goal is waived off okay? – it’s actually in the official rule-book; a delightful tome you might peruse one day. I mean its bad enough you were completely inconsistent in this game up ‘til that point (both of you useless tits), but to actually have the gall to tell Hay you “saw” it and felt Segal was out of his crease and therefore it’s not a penalty is simply lying. The replay, shown repeatedly in the stadium on the big screen, has Segal completely in the blue-ice and the Kamloops player running him over with no other encouragement, because there wasn’t another living freaking soul around the crease. Are you really this stupid, incompetent (we know the answer to that as I have had the misfortune to watch you butcher games before, way too many times in fact), or just a blind asshole? Suffice to say you and your buddy with the orange armband crapped the bed harshly and yet the league won’t really do anything to punish you for your incompetence, so there’s no incentive to actually get good at your job. Fake it ‘til ya make it eh, except there’s a ton more faking it than making it for you two doofuses, isn’t there. I think the boos and cat-calls and ref you suck chants might have at least been a clue, but there’s no clues for the clueless.

The Giants came out flat in the first, allowing the Blazers to go up by two by the end of the period. Mark Segal who has been good as of late was not good tonight. The first goal he completely over-reacted by biting very hard on a potential wrap-around which was flipped back the other way. Segal made his best impression of a dying spawning salmon, failing completely to get back before being burned. The second goal against was poor positioning and part of a script which has been the Giants game this young season, failure to clear their zone. They had several chances to clear their zone on a few of the Blazers goals, but could not get it out and paid a heavy price. The Giants got one back in the last minute of the second, when Matt MacKay broke Jeff Bosch’s goose-egg with a PP tally.

In the third the game actually got interesting. The Giants scored two unanswered to take the lead. Craig Cunningham scored a PP marker and Marek Tvrdon converted from the doorstep. The Blazers then tied the game off of the aforementioned goaltender interference non-call. Committed by former Giant JT Barnett, curiously enough. Never was there a more textbook example of what constitutes goaltender interference. The Giants got the lead back at 12:53 of the third, but gave it back less than a minute later when they failed to clear their zone of the puck, after having many opportunities. Linden Saip scored for the Blazers in OT, after the Giants had some nice pressure at the other end of the ice for awhile but could not find the net. Once again the Giants complete failure to clear their zone, caused a turnover and sealed their fate.

The Giants have yet to play a full sixty minutes this season and its very frustrating at times to watch. Tonight they came back from a deficit and took the lead twice, which in itself is a positive and yet relinquishing those leads is generally not what Giants teams do. Its interesting that some of the Giants best looking players tonight had the biggest minuses. Whether it was trying that extra pass, or just not willing to gut it out the Giants had a tough time breaking out of their zone, making many unforced errors and frequently failing to connect with their passes. Their PK was excellent again tonight though and their PP effective (when they don’t make those sloppy passes along the blue-line, that is) as of late. The Giants should have been able to hold onto their leads and despite the poor zebras the Giants have to look in the mirror and know that in the end they are the ones who let that second lead slip.

This will be a year of growing pains for the boys, but they need to not only learn to improve their consistency, but bring up their intensity to at least an eight. I haven’t seen above a six this season so far. Gally and Cunner will get their points, but the Giants are aching for some secondary scoring that has yet to materialise. Segal has to find a calm space and some serious consistency as he looked jittery between the pipes tonight. That’s not to say he didn’t make some excellent saves, which he did, but he’s the vet now and 19 – its time for him to focus better and battle harder every single night. The Giants players all need to find a full sixty minute effort. I have yet to see that this season. There are few teams that can beat them when they play Giants intense hockey for the entire game as opposed to bits here and there.

Rookie Watch: Cain Franson got quite a few shifts and looks to be improving each game. I would say he’s already better than Lamoureux was at 17 and lately playing better than the 18 year old journeyman who seems to enjoy being a floater and perimeter player. Dalton sward and Matt Bellerive were in the line-up, but neither were given quality minutes to find their game. I have to say I would prefer to see a player like Sward get some reps on the PP over McNaught.

Fight Night: Tanner Sohn and Tyler Hansen threw them in a lively bout. Sohn had the upper hand early, but Hansen came back and made a battle out of it.

The Giants out shot the Blazers 38-30 and went 2 for 6 on their PP chances, while holding Kamloops to 0 for 4. The G’s get a day off for turkey and fixins before taking on the Blazers in Kamloops for a Thanksgiving Day Monday afternoon tilt, beginning at 2pm. I expect that Brendan Jensen will get his first start as the official back-up. He and Tendler traded off back-up spots and starts early on. The Giants have played quite a few more games than most other clubs and have slid back to .500 hockey at 4-4, actually 4-3-0-1 to be specific.

Three Stars

1. Craig Cunningham
2. Chase Schaber
3. Brendan Ranford

rednex50
10-10-2010, 11:42 AM
getting a taste of the Giants own medicine? Kinda tastes bitter when it happens to you, don't it?

How many times did the Giants to that to our smaller goaltenders like Espo, Freisen and Gore in the first 3 seasons?

I watch Bouma one time launch himself stick first at Espo, who was in the butterfly, at Espo's head and both ended up in the net together...and...guess what, thanks to Pat Smith and his eneptness, it was counted as a goal.

The Bruins had had goalies injured on net crashing crap like this, but it sure stopped quickly when Manning, and then Stahl started sticking up for our tenders.

You are soooooo damn tough to crash a 5'9 goalie, in a prone position, stick first when you over 6' with intent on running a goalie unable to properly defend himself against a hit in his own crease.

As the saying goes, "Karmas a *****, ain't it" :clap::clap::clap::clap::groovy::groovy::groovy:

lostsheep
10-10-2010, 12:48 PM
just another case of out of hand games. the officiating in this league sucks. no consistancy, missed or blown calls, how do they keepletting the blind run the show?? Nathan Wieler is the worst, Zalaski isnt much better. it has to end sometime!
________
Ecigs123 (http://www.ecigarettes123.com/)

rinkrat
10-10-2010, 08:11 PM
getting a taste of the Giants own medicine? Kinda tastes bitter when it happens to you, don't it?

How many times did the Giants to that to our smaller goaltenders like Espo, Freisen and Gore in the first 3 seasons?

I watch Bouma one time launch himself stick first at Espo, who was in the butterfly, at Espo's head and both ended up in the net together...and...guess what, thanks to Pat Smith and his eneptness, it was counted as a goal.

The Bruins had had goalies injured on net crashing crap like this, but it sure stopped quickly when Manning, and then Stahl started sticking up for our tenders.

You are soooooo damn tough to crash a 5'9 goalie, in a prone position, stick first when you over 6' with intent on running a goalie unable to properly defend himself against a hit in his own crease.

As the saying goes, "Karmas a *****, ain't it" :clap::clap::clap::clap::groovy::groovy::groovy:

Every team crashes the net, perhaps the Bruins should have some muscle as a deterent. Might want to mention that to Habby Sr (junior wouldn't remember after being slobber knocked twice already this season).

Aren't you the guy promoting the players be allowed to police themselves?
No sense expecting the refs to protect your goalie.

Arthur Fonzerelli
10-10-2010, 08:53 PM
If the league is going to turn a blind eye to players running goalies then they should remove from the books the rule that suspends goalies for punching with their blockers.

dondo
10-11-2010, 09:05 PM
well there's a difference between crashing the net with the puck, or even to get to the loose puck and simply skating into the crease to fall on the goalie rednex, but I guess the Bruins fans need to have some excuse for getting ripped so many times by the G's :rolleyes:;)

in this case there was no puck in the crease, the player (Barnett) skated into the blue paint without the puck and literally pushed Segal over. Its just about the most obvious penalty there is -- he didn't try to run him or injure him, just did what you are not allowed to do -- interfere with him. Even if Segal was out of the crease it was still interference, which is why the "explanation" is that much more insulting.

sadly Zalaski was too busy looking at a couple of DDs in the stands and was too embarrassed to say he wasn't watching the play. If he was he would have made the right call.

I'm all for players crashing the net for a loose puck or while carrying the puck, but that particular infraction was so obvious is was laughable. Figures it was Zalaski who had to be wearing the orange stripes.