PDA

View Full Version : 20's

Derek Sutton
10-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Why has Preston stuck with Max ross? Especially with the 20 yr old talent that is kicking around out there. I know hes local, a good kid, can play forward and D and sew on but we are to expect a lot of the 20's and what do we all expect from Ross? Our 20's are mediocore and our scoring is less then mediocore and now the opprotunity to improve has come and gone.

Derek Sutton
10-15-2010, 10:50 AM
6'3" 210 lbs and 6 points in 8 games would've been a terror up front compared to the any of the current forwards, he could've been had for nothing once he was released from Tri.

shushu
10-15-2010, 04:12 PM
brown is basically a tough kid that seems to be playing well(better than ross)..3 goal 3 assists in 8 games for tri and as you said free.......i dont se the reasoning here at times with this gm, his drafting is great and most of his trades are good but there are thing like holding on to sbisa untill you get nothing for him, trading yads for picks went we need more talent up front.and if we need more scoring try this kid out, he cant be any worse than ross because ross is NOT a forward....and any 18/ 19 year old AVERAGE dman in the league could do ross's job and not take up a 20 spot....donny was fun to watch last year but did nothing to improove the team and looks like ross will fill that roll once again .........dont get me wrong i like our gm but someone should give him a nudge one and a while because i think he nods off.............

localguy
10-15-2010, 06:55 PM
who is the one that should be nudging him. They could have moved ross to D and traded one of the forwards in some kind of a package deal too. It's not as though they are tearing it up at the moment. That Yads trade will haunt us for the season, maybe 2 b/c he will be in the league as a 20 most likely too (though he has been a point/game player since the trade). This would have been a good time to make a move, and not sacrifice the future.

shushu
10-16-2010, 01:06 AM
who is the one that should be nudging him. They could have moved ross to D and traded one of the forwards in some kind of a package deal too. It's not as though they are tearing it up at the moment. That Yads trade will haunt us for the season, maybe 2 b/c he will be in the league as a 20 most likely too (though he has been a point/game player since the trade). This would have been a good time to make a move, and not sacrifice the future.

he has to nudge himself. he's the gm , the boss....its becoming painfully clear that this team has aproblem, even this early in the year...that problem is a lack of scoring which will trigger a lack of confidence and even the players that deserve to be here will start to feel the dread that come with it...h/r said in the other post that yads didn't want to be here and there is probably a reason behind it, ashton did the same last year..these are kids that have 1 goal, advance to the next level and when they are stuck on a team that is underachieving they want out....and instead of putting player in place that can turn thing around we stock pile draft picks... its like a cancer if you dont stop it it spreads, the canes have toontown tommorow then again next friday add brandon, pa and van before the months end...keep ross, tarnasky and sutter and we will see great hockey 2 to 3 years down the road from all our draft pick but get use to 500 people anight untill then..................trust me after 21 seasons ive seen it more that once.............i agree with what you are saying, he has a support staff around him.. but he is the GM, and a good gm knows how to balance the present along with the future...............

grainbear
10-16-2010, 07:53 AM
I think we have to look at this situation very carefully. Firstly, is Ross more valuable then other 20 year old's because he can play two places. With only 6 dmen I think that is the issue. No other team is going to trade a good offensive d-men because there are not enough of them around. Some will say we should have never traded Yadlowski but was his offensive talent enough for the times he cost us with a poor defensive decision ? You tell me, the plan remains for 2013 so we are not going to give up futures not a chance . I would have to agree that we need more offense self evident but the keep concept is getting our defense to shoot rather then simply move the puck around the outside. The defensive on this team is directed not by Preston but by our assistant coach Matt. We are also seeing some poor decisions being made by our older forwards. We have seen very few goals scored this year by stick handling and faking goaltenders out the goals have come two ways for almost all teams ourselves included . They have been shots overpowering goaltenders and rebounds in the tough zones. Goalies in this league are that good , ours included and our forwards must improve eye and hand coordination or take the crap in front of the opponents nets. The team is still learning what takes them from losers to winners and progress has been made over last year. Not there yet, will it come , hopefully yes other wise some players better get their bags packed irregardless of tenure

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
10-16-2010, 12:58 PM
But, it is my feeling that there are times to put aside the patience and look at what this team is accomplishing. As a non-paid arm chair gm/coach (like all of us on here) the time has come for Preston and Robson to look at what kind of deal is available for a couple of offensively skilled forwards that would be here for a couple of seasons. They have a stockpile of draft picks, lots of young talent, and some vets that should be moved which should give them the opportunity to deal. This team has been outshot in all but one game. This team has gone OH for 30 since game one of the season. Not enough sustained offensive pressure, not enough shots and outside of Fyten is there another skilled forward? Do Moser, Reners and Tarnasky have enough to play in this league or is it simply a case of needing a change of scenery? Sutter has yet to play and thus we have no idea what improvements he will bring if any. But if this team stays the course, making the playoffs will be tough.

One comment about Yads, if you happen to hear Cam Braes interview on the Monday Night Talk Show, then you could not help but get the feeling that Yads was a problem in the dressing room.:groovy:

GO CANES GO!:bevvy:

moon
10-16-2010, 04:17 PM
Some will say we should have never traded Yadlowski but was his offensive talent enough for the times he cost us with a poor defensive decision ? You tell me,

Considering we put up with worse defensive decisions with no offense from our 20 year old captain I would say yes you put up with those plays to keep his offense.

But instead like anyone with any pro asperations on this club since Preston has come in Yadlowski realized that with this coach/GM he wasn't going to get the proper coaching or team in which he could improve his game.

I guess the good thing is that Preston has shown that he has no ability to bring in that level of talent so it shouldn't be an ongoing issue in the future.

CanesCrazy
10-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Moon: do you have proof to back up your statements that Yadlowski wanted to leave the Hurricanes because he "realized that with this coach/GM he wasn't going to get the proper coaching or team in which he could improve his game"? Because my very close sources on the team tell me otherwise.

Don't assume that because you hate Preston that everyone else (including the players) feels the same way and put words in their mouths.

shushu
10-16-2010, 10:58 PM
I think we have to look at this situation very carefully. Firstly, is Ross more valuable then other 20 year old's because he can play two places. With only 6 dmen I think that is the issue. No other team is going to trade a good offensive d-men because there are not enough of them around. Some will say we should have never traded Yadlowski but was his offensive talent enough for the times he cost us with a poor defensive decision ? You tell me, the plan remains for 2013 so we are not going to give up futures not a chance . I would have to agree that we need more offense self evident but the keep concept is getting our defense to shoot rather then simply move the puck around the outside. The defensive on this team is directed not by Preston but by our assistant coach Matt. We are also seeing some poor decisions being made by our older forwards. We have seen very few goals scored this year by stick handling and faking goaltenders out the goals have come two ways for almost all teams ourselves included . They have been shots overpowering goaltenders and rebounds in the tough zones. Goalies in this league are that good , ours included and our forwards must improve eye and hand coordination or take the crap in front of the opponents nets. The team is still learning what takes them from losers to winners and progress has been made over last year. Not there yet, will it come , hopefully yes other wise some players better get their bags packed irregardless of tenure

BUT , the pick we get this year imo will not do much for 2013. any team that is gearing up for the mem cup 2 years from now will not rely on 16 year olds it will be the 93/94 born players that tote the heavy load...that being said we might as well trade for a good 93 born player if that is our objective for the simple reason that if we get a good 92 he might be gone to the show before we get there............again imo.................ps.... i thought the canes played well tonight, just out classes............

moon
10-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Moon: do you have proof to back up your statements that Yadlowski wanted to leave the Hurricanes because he "realized that with this coach/GM he wasn't going to get the proper coaching or team in which he could improve his game"? Because my very close sources on the team tell me otherwise.

Don't assume that because you hate Preston that everyone else (including the players) feels the same way and put words in their mouths.

The proof I have is common sense. Preston is a terrible coach that is also in way over his head in trying to be the GM of the team as well. He is creating a bad team and then handling it horribly as well.

It is pretty clear that anyone who had any desire to grow as a player would want to get as far away from the situation as possible.

There is nothing positive that a player can gain from hanging around a guy like Preston or on a team that is being run into the ground.