PDA

View Full Version : Blades go with Plan #2 and add Trask

Hockey Spy
10-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I guess the Blades went the cheaper option and picked up Jake Trask from Kamloops for a 6th round pick.

Trask is a right hand shot who scored 13 goals last year. Pretty good, cheap pick up for Saskatoon here.

Stovin sent down as a result.

Trav
10-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Nice pick up, local kid to. Adds depth to the lineup

lordstanley
10-18-2010, 12:54 PM
We don't need depth people besides this depth player isn't even all that great what we still lack is a sniper guys like connolly weal howse eakin the list goes on

Trask has scored 23 goals in a 143 reg season games for his career and is 0-2-2 in 9 games this season this is a laughable one by Lorne

Trav
10-18-2010, 01:26 PM
We don't need depth people besides this depth player isn't even all that great what we still lack is a sniper guys like connolly weal howse eakin the list goes on

Trask has scored 23 goals in a 143 reg season games for his career and is 0-2-2 in 9 games this season this is a laughable one by Lorne

Well he scored 13 goals last year so maybe he's a late bloomer, had to play on a crappy team in Kamloops, now he gets to come here and have better linemates and playing in his home town should hopefully get him going. I'll at least give him a chance. It's not like they gave up much for him anyways so if it doesnt work out then who cares. To say its laughable is quite funny, no risk involved here.

lordstanley
10-18-2010, 01:41 PM
It's laughable not cause of what we gave up in the deal

We got a plug who is not very good and it costed young Stovin his job

SectionNDeserter
10-18-2010, 01:51 PM
We don't need depth people besides this depth player isn't even all that great what we still lack is a sniper guys like connolly weal howse eakinThere is a very slim chance that any of those guys are going anywhere. Connolly is only 18, and on a team that seems to have turned a corner. Chilliwack looks to have a pretty strong squad this season, and are not likely looking to unload a potential 50 goal man in Howse. I don't think Weal is going to be able to turn around that Regina team this season, but he could play 2 more seasons in this league so I don't see him going anywhere. Swift seems to have turned a corner as well with the arrival of Eakin, and I don't really see him going anywhere. With there being no real good reason to trade any of these guys, I can't even imagine what a team would have to throw out on the table to even pique their respective teams' interests... If Saskatoon was somehow able to land any of these guys while giving up only the future, they would be pretty much guaranteed the most wins at the end of the season though.

So if nobody is willing to just hand over their leading scorer? You deal for players that your scouts feel have potential to be a scorer, and bring them in and hope for the best. That is what Saskatoon has done, in bringing in a guy that got 13 goals from the checking line last season. Also have a look at the crop of 91's that you have there. Most of them are drafted or have NHL interest and are likely not coming back next season. Good move to bring in a guy that can develop some chemistry before the start of next season, and compete for an overage spot next season.

Backhand
10-18-2010, 02:38 PM
I like this move - Blades get more experience on the wing for a 6th. No need to make a big splash trade with a super dressing room and an 8-1 record. Blades hold the cards. Too bad for Stovin but he'll be a star in Midget and come back as part of the Blades future.

GBG BLEED BLUE
10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I agree with Backhand, No need to make a big splash with an 8-1 record. Maybe a change of scenery and coming back home will spark him,like others said.

So wait a while before we jump on him saying it is a bad move. He has not even practiced with team yet. Brett Stovin is 16 and sure he was sent back but we did not trade him so he will come back next year and prove his case to stay once again.

Hopefully we see good crowds at the games this weekend!!! I personally can not wait!!! Go Blades!!!!

lordstanley
10-18-2010, 04:32 PM
There is a very slim chance that any of those guys are going anywhere. Connolly is only 18, and on a team that seems to have turned a corner. Chilliwack looks to have a pretty strong squad this season, and are not likely looking to unload a potential 50 goal man in Howse. I don't think Weal is going to be able to turn around that Regina team this season, but he could play 2 more seasons in this league so I don't see him going anywhere. Swift seems to have turned a corner as well with the arrival of Eakin, and I don't really see him going anywhere. With there being no real good reason to trade any of these guys, I can't even imagine what a team would have to throw out on the table to even pique their respective teams' interests... If Saskatoon was somehow able to land any of these guys while giving up only the future, they would be pretty much guaranteed the most wins at the end of the season though.

So if nobody is willing to just hand over their leading scorer? You deal for players that your scouts feel have potential to be a scorer, and bring them in and hope for the best. That is what Saskatoon has done, in bringing in a guy that got 13 goals from the checking line last season. Also have a look at the crop of 91's that you have there. Most of them are drafted or have NHL interest and are likely not coming back next season. Good move to bring in a guy that can develop some chemistry before the start of next season, and compete for an overage spot next season.

Dude when in my post did i say the Blades should try and get one of those players ? no where i said it would be nice to have a sniper like any one of them thats what i still feel were lacking like last season

SectionNDeserter
10-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Dude when in my post did i say the Blades should try and get one of those players ? no where i said it would be nice to have a sniper like any one of them thats what i still feel were lacking like last seasonYour pose came off as sounding like the deal for Trask was a laughable one by Lorne, and that he wasn't addressing the lack of a sniper (like the ones you listed). I was just indicating that there really just isn't any deal like that out there, and that Lorne is taking a low-risk chance on an experienced guy that might start scoring in a new environment.

Too bad Inglis couldn't work out there, he looks to be on pace for 25-30 goals in PG this season.

RenegadeStylings
10-18-2010, 08:08 PM
I don't see how you can criticize this move too much.

The Blades are among the youngest teams in the league and this will provide them with another veteran that can fill a number of different roles on the team. Sure, Stovin takes the fall and has to go back to midget, but I think that will serve him better than sitting half the games.

Even when he was in the lineup he was only getting a few minutes a game. He will be a third liner on this team next year, but if the team wants to win NOW, then this is a good move.

I will be very interested to see Trask play tomorrow night in Moose Jaw.

Trav
10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
I agree with the poster that said that the Blades don't need to make a big splash, they still got half the year left to go and really the price tag will probably be less at the trade deadline then it is now.

I dunno what happened to Trask in Kamloops but seeing how he scored lots in midget makes me think we haven't seen his full potential and now with the change of scenary I think he'll start to get going, after a few games with his new linemates. 13 and 10 goals in the last two seasons isn't that bad in my opinion. Hopefully here he can put up 15-20 goals and come back as an overager and score 20+. If he doesn't put up the points then no biggie, the team didn't give up much for him.

Hockey Spy
10-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I guess the Blades are going to start Jake Trask on the RW with Olsen C and Gogol on the LW.

Makes the 4th line:

Johnson-Sutter-Bews

lordstanley
10-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Too me Trask is suited as a 4th line player the guy is a plug i just hope he doesn't hurt Olsens development

Hockey Spy
10-19-2010, 01:11 PM
I really don't think you guys have a clue what you are talking about in regards to Trask. The kid has above average talent, stick handling and shot. If given the chance, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Trask became a 20 goal scorer in Saskatoon. You have to remember Viedensky had what 5 goals in half a season in PG and now look him. Same can be said for Kytnar, Fiala, Bader etc...All players brought in who turned their careers around and realized their potential.

Also, Brett Stovin who he is replacing is only 16 and got in to just 4 games. He is far better off scoring a goal a game and playing every game with Interlake in Midget this year. Trask adds another veteran player who is in his 3rd year in the league.

I would really like to know if you guys have ever even seen him play? Likely not.

lordstanley
10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Im sorry the stats don't lie on this one 23 goals in 143 reg season games = plug player

Also bad comparison Viedensky and Kytnar those guys did have skill before coming tot he Blades the played for team Slovakia at the world juniors

And yes i have seen Trask play he looks clueless out there has no hockey sence once so ever im very disapointed with this deal

lordstanley
10-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Wow i have liked every deal Lorne has made this year and last season 1 trade bugs me and i get jumped on lol

Remember it's just 1 hockey fans opinion people haha atleast i'm not a homer

Hockey Spy
10-19-2010, 01:52 PM
People are getting on your case because you are dead wrong.

I don't think anyone is saying he will be an elite player but the fact of the matter is, Lorne has a very young team and will need more veterans to fill roles and Trask will fill a role and give the Blades more right handed depth to the forwards. Trask is a 20 goal type player with skill.

Also, you say Viedensky, Kytnar etc were on the world juniors while maybe Trask could make team Slovakia for god sakes!

As for his talent level, it is there in the past finishing Top 5 in scoring in the Saskatchewan Midget League in 07-08.

Also a player like Aaron Bader will be a good comparison as to what Trask could do as a Blade.

BigCat20
10-19-2010, 01:55 PM
I like him on the 3rd rather than the 2nd line....think stransky deserves to continue playing with dziurzynski & benson. Olsen should only benefit from playing with 2 experienced players!

Hockey Spy
10-19-2010, 02:01 PM
B-I-N-G-O

That is exactly right. Olson will have far more success playing with a tough 19 yr old and a skilled 19 yr old in Trask than playing with carosal or players in and out of the lineup. This really sets the lines nicely now.

lordstanley
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Waste of a spot i personaly think Stovin is better at age 16 but thats just me

Trask could have played on team Slovakia too haha ok

And yes Trask did do good in midget but so have alot of played then stinked it up heck benson was better than Nugent Hopkins in Bantam looked what happend with that

Hockey Spy
10-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Brent Benson was NOT better than Brent Benson in midget hockey, not even close. Nugent-Hopkins has/was always considered the top player in his age group in western Canada. Actually, if you talk to any scout, they'll tell you that Benson may not have even been top 5 in Saskatchewan for his age when he was drafted.

I don't know where you get your information from, but you are way out to lunch on this one my friend.

For you to say Stovin who has played 4 games as a 16 year old is already better than Trask, you must be on something.

I'm sure you could be a better GM than Lorne Molleken - in your own mind anyway!:frog:

saskatoonman
10-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Everyone that is saying that this is a bad deal should shout there mouths. Give the kid a chance and maybe it will pay off.
Lorne wouldn't have made a move like this if he didn't think it was right for the team? There are off to a 8-1 start.
Before everyone starts trash talking this kid about how he is a plug and what not give him a few games and see how it pans out.
I think that this is a great move too bring in a player like Trask with veteran expierence.
No he might not be the most offensively talented kid, but he will help the Blades get better I can tell you that.
So like I said for the 3rd time now GIVE THE KID A CHANCE!!

lordstanley
10-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Fine consider this closed until a further date like midway point

On to tonights game against the Warriors who is starting in net ? should be a good game Warriors are off to a slow start they gave us a great game last time in Saskatoon it was 4-4 until Dziurzynski broke the tie with 1:30 to go and a emptee net this IS a tough one to call

I'll be watching via WHL WEB CAST

Dwight Schrute
10-19-2010, 08:19 PM
I guess the Blades are going to start Jake Trask on the RW with Olsen C and Gogol on the LW.

Makes the 4th line:

Johnson-Sutter-Bews

thats one heck of a 4th line. each one of those kids is quite capable of 12-15g 20-25a
thats huge from a 4th line, and they are also gritty

lordstanley
10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Looks like the Blades will go 0-1 with Trask in the lineup ruined chemistry maybe ?

saskatoonman
10-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Don't start blaming this on Trask now, the team is playing like crap right now.
But I think we really need Austi Daae in the lineup.

lordstanley
10-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Don't start blaming this on Trask now, the team is playing like crap right now.
But I think we really need Austi Daae in the lineup.

Don't worry i'm totally being sarcastic 1 player can't lose you a game

saskatoonman
10-19-2010, 08:45 PM
They just don't look good at all, Im interested to see if they keep Trask on the line with Hamilton and Viedensky.

lordstanley
10-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Trask has been on a line with Olsen and Johnson all game

saskatoonman
10-19-2010, 08:49 PM
No Trask had played a few shifts with Hamilton and Viedensky. Now he is playing he Olsen and Johnson.

lordstanley
10-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Thats probably cause Nicholls had a equipment isshue

saskatoonman
10-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Well not trying to be a party pooper, but it's over forsure.

lordstanley
10-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah Moose Jaw is all over them

Oh well can't win them all

RenegadeStylings
10-19-2010, 11:05 PM
What are you guys talking about? Trask played with gogol and olsen. He did get shuffled around in the third period but played the majority of the game on the third line's right wing.

BladesFan_2010
10-22-2010, 09:34 AM
I think LordStanley is a bit off target with this one. Sometimes players need a change of scenery and given more responsibility for them to really flourish. Don't forget these kids are playing away from home. Trask coming home and being with a team that doesn't suck now might make his play better as a result.

Look at Viedensky. With Prince George he had what, like 10 goals and 40 assists the previous year? Now with the Blades he is a point-per-game producer.

RenegadeStylings
10-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Trask looked fairly good in his first game. You could see the shakiness in the few minutes but got more comofortable as the game went on. He even made several nice moves to create some offense for him and his linemates.

It was a rough outing for everyone in Moose Jaw, but Trask was one of the few Blades forwards that were ok.