PDA

View Full Version : We need coaching?

scrawny69
10-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Sure would be nice if we could get a coach who actually showed some interest in the game at hand and could motivate our players, maybe question a few reffing calls to show people he actually knows what the hell he is doing? It's embarrassing! How many years is it going to take to rebuild this team, just maybe we should start looking at rebuilding the coaching staff!

moon
10-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Sure would be nice if we could get a coach who actually showed some interest in the game at hand and could motivate our players, maybe question a few reffing calls to show people he actually knows what the hell he is doing? It's embarrassing! How many years is it going to take to rebuild this team, just maybe we should start looking at rebuilding the coaching staff!

Hey why not act like a real fan and ignore the problems and only talk about the good things. Thats how you are expected to act if you are a Canes fan.

Plus, Preston realizes that if he brings in talent people might realize he is clueless when it comes to coaching. This way he can keep guys like Reddington and our top line and say not even Hay or Brent Sutter could win with that line-up.

And if you think that consistently getting out shot, terrible special teams and undisciplined penalties are part of coaching you are again not being a true Canes fan.

shushu
10-27-2010, 10:21 PM
Hey why not act like a real fan and ignore the problems and only talk about the good things. Thats how you are expected to act if you are a Canes fan.

Plus, Preston realizes that if he brings in talent people might realize he is clueless when it comes to coaching. This way he can keep guys like Reddington and our top line and say not even Hay or Brent Sutter could win with that line-up.

And if you think that consistently getting out shot, terrible special teams and undisciplined penalties are part of coaching you are again not being a true Canes fan.

if you want to be a true canes fan that the way it works................

localguy
10-28-2010, 12:20 AM

well... this is his second year, rebuilds don't happen overnight, minimum 3 seasons to get your drafted players into the league and get some playing experience under their belt. Then you are well on your way.

scrawny69
10-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Look.....to be honest this thread was started by my wife useing my log on as hers kept rejecting her...BUT.....I have to agree with her on alot of points regarding Preston and Kabayama!! While she was typing this thread at the game last night we could look across at the two benches and see Hay and his assistant coach workin the bench (givin guys hell,encouragement, and direction) while being up 3 nothin and totally out playin our guys in all aspcects of the game..while on our bench Preston had his hands in his pockets lookin for coffee change starin at the floor while Kabayama had his arms crossed staring up at the roof daydreaming!!!
Seriously do the coaches think everything is goin ok on the ice all the time???
Do they only coach at practice?? Seems like it to me!!

:burningmad::burningmad:

caniac # 2
10-28-2010, 09:24 AM
was it my imagination, what happened to the reners tot line.....it seems they did not get much ice time last night, not sure why reners doesnt play more , has to be more to it behind the scenes, who knows !! :confused:

PeacefulChaos
10-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I was wondering where Mark Reners was all night too. I didnt even notice him on the ice until halfway through the third period. Then he had 2 shots on net. Why doesn't this kid get to play more? Everytime I see him out there he seems to put in a good effort and at least the kid SHOOTS THE PUCK!

The rookies all seem to put in a lot of effort every night at least. and Kovacs stood pretty well for his first WHL game.

shushu
10-28-2010, 12:06 PM
and Kovacs stood pretty well for his first WHL game.

he look remarkably calm for a young kid, just like another day at the office......great job tanner...

CanesCrazy
10-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Kovacs looked really good out there. He sure is a big kid for a 16-yr-old. I too am looking to see Reners more. Obviously the top lines weren't getting the job done so why not play the Reners/Tot/Moser line? They have been the most consistant and dare I say hardest working line out there the last few games.

Alberta Hockey
10-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Can we seriously call our city's coach a "coach"? In order to be called a coach, you must first do some coaching...... yeah maybe we don't see the locker room systematical/technical teachings but this guy doesn't utilize the best opportunities to try and teach....when teenage players make mistakes!!!! I have yet to see, and yes i do watch, this guy do any sort of individual coaching on his bench......ever!!!

On another note, how is it that some players continually make the same mistakes and don't pay the toll of having slivers on their backside from taking up space on the bench, while others have the "one and done" opportunity as it relates to making a mistake.....?????

Last night, the Giants score (goal 3)on a 5x3 rush while Berglund and Kuvaev are tending to what looked like game ending injuries in the offensive zone, but they both are healthy for their next shifts and the rest of the game...... what's worse...making an adjustable mistake or leaving your heart in the locker room?????

But, Reners misses a check on the D-zone blue (after busting his tail to get back) and the play goes to the wall, down low, back door and in(giants goal 2)....and he is sat for the remainder of the first, the whole second and into the third when he gets a couple shifts and the line gets some offensive opportunities. Such a waste to not develop that talented kid....pp woes as a team, but our "coach" keeps going back to the horses who haven't left the pp stable all year!!!!!

grainbear
10-28-2010, 06:28 PM
. Obvious none you ever read Sbisa comment stating that Preston was the best coach he had had in his hockey career. The fact was last night that Tait struggled , not that he was bad only that he did not read the play on any of the goals. The reason for the goaltending change was to send the team a message from Tait forward . Please explain why it is always the coach's fault. Last time I looked at the lineup sheet their were a number of other people on the game sheet. We are in the games because of work by the players, and sticking to the game plan designed by the coaches through experience and homework.When we don't we lose case in point last nite. Please look at the time frame for Portland to turn the corner we have only entered the corner .We still believe !

scrawny69
10-28-2010, 09:47 PM
All right just to get things clear I realize that our team is in a "rebuilding" stage and I can appreciate that...BUT...if your team is rebuilding wouldnt it make sense to see the "coaches" workin the bench and actually coaching the players DURING a game?? If you attend a bantam or pewee game even those "coaches" are workin the bench!!! All I ask for is to see some sort of look that Preston and Matt are actually "into" the game!! I get it our powerplay is terrible but it would lead one to believe that Rich or Matt would have SOMETHING to say when a powerplay line comes off the ice then?? would it not??? When the Ref blows a call would it not be time to show a little emotion??? I too believe if a player (vetern or not) blows a play they should be held accountable by the COACH not just us fans!! I dont know maybe I'm just gettin sick of the same old same old look of our team day in and day out!! Guess this is as good as any place for a fan to vent!!

:brickwall::brickwall:

metalrules
10-28-2010, 10:30 PM
There is so much to respond to I love it. I believe that when the coaches are staring at the floor, or ceiling... the thought is, "we went over this... I can't believe these jack##3es forgot everything that we worked on for the past 3 days in practice." Kovacs was good, great poise, looked alot older than his 16 years, he has holes in his game, but has a full year to fill them in with hard work. Alberta, I agree with almost everything you say. I think Reners needs to produce on his offensive opportunities, if he gets two shot, score on one of them, that is your job. If you score every game, you get the benefit of the doubt when you miss your check once and a while. Mind you sitting for 2 periods is a bit of overkill, the lesson does not get learned, it only gets you a pissed off hockey player. Plus I agree how to you develop talent when it does not get the chance... just look at the younger Maxwell kid. Grainbear, you said it best, you usually do. And Scrawny, coaches in minor hockey coach on the bench because that is what they are supposed to do. It is their job to teach kids at the lower levels so when they get to the higher levels they are more prepared to play.
So many great comments in this thread great job guys.

Alberta Hockey
10-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Does Mr. Preston study in the art of subliminal messaging?? Maybe that is it....cut numerous kids ice and expect them to learn their lesson from jedi mind trickery.....yeah that's gotta be it!!! I'm totally with you Scrawny....would love to see some hands on coaching....i know the canes didn't do record numbers financially last year but "chalk talk" boards can be picked up for around the same price as a couple adult game tickets!!!

Grainbear: heck yeah there is a whole roster of players.... and here is my explanation of blaming our coach: Accountability for ALL not SOME.

Metal: Damn right Reners needs to produce, but it is tough to do from a view from the bench....if we go on the logic that our offensive guys need to do thier job and light the lamp every couple shots, why don't top ice time guys have more than 4,4,2 and 1 goals in thirteen games played (all while playing with our teams "best" players)????

Props to all those minor hockey coaches out there (from timbits right up to midget) who don't have the resume of whl'ers but volunteer their time and work at teaching the game....TEACHING the game..... those coaches aren't making the big bucks to coach/gm a club and maybe it should be different at the junior level....at the whl level it is now a coaches JOB to teach the game!!!!

-->check out former U of L Pronghorn coach sometime down in Detroit.....even though there are alot of zeroes on his contract...he can still be seen teaching the game to the best of the best while on the bench!!! pretty sight in my eyes!!!! If memory serves me correctly, he turned a U of L team that wasn't "supposed" to make any noise in the win column into the Country's best.....must've had some real gimmicky way of spinning that web.....or maybe...just maybe....some coaching tactics.......

patsdude114
10-29-2010, 10:52 AM
The Regina Pats offer u a coaching trade... Curtis Hunt for Rich Preston straight up deal

Ill take Preston any day of the week this guy knows the game. One of the best pats teams in the last 15 yrs was coached by Preston.

You cane fans need to give it a rest about Preston u guys r in a huge rebuilding stage. Yes it is frustrating to lose & get beaten badly by top teams but it is all part of the process. You guys r complaining about being beat by the Giants (1 of the top teams in the league & highest scoring teams) most of the coaching now a days r done by video the next day.

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
10-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Hockey fans in this city are never satisfied, rightly or wrongly. Fans complained about Maxwell not being able to control himself (year long suspension) and his players. They complained about him not dealing Mark Smith and Shane Willis the year following the run to the Mem Cup final. Then there were the complaints about Rocky Saginuik and Mikko Makela. Fans then complained about the hiring of Stocker as GM because he had no hockey experiences. Then they complained about his choice for coach Lindsay Hofford and his treatment of players (Kris Versteeg comes to mind). Then the complaints about GM Stasiuk and the deals he made. And if my memory serves me correctly, the same complaints about Michael Dyck not showing "emotion" on the bench and favouring certain players. Now it is Preston's turn. Common theme, fans are never satisfied. All of you who are complaining about the lack of trade action.....well think about this for a second. Of the 22 teams in the WHL 14 of them are at or near the .500 mark or below. 9 of those teams are in the East. Just how easy would it be for any GM to make a deal when so many teams are not sure which way they will be headed? Oh sure there have been some minor deals, but nothing of the earth shattering fashion. I would bet a great steak dinner, that Preston has looked for a deal that would bring him another fwd and defenseman, but the price is either too high or teams are unwilling to make a deal at this time. I agree with the other comments, had you told me that after 13 games the team would be at .500 without Fyten in the lineup, I would not have believed it.
This is a team that is rebuilding.....(I know we hate that word) but considering what a mess and lack of talent that Preston inherited, we are on the right road to recovery. Just because we do not see Preston and Kabayama jumping up and down on the bench, or yelling at refs or players, does not mean they are not coaching. We do not know what goes on in the dressing room before, duriing and after games. We do not see the "teaching" that goes on during practices. Thank goodness Preston is not a Steve Pleau!

Sidenote..........With the way the Pats are going, that 1st round pick that the Hurricanes have now, could be the 1st overall! Oh and who did we give up for it? Carter Ashton, who the Pats are already trying to deal away.
:groovy:
GO CANES GO!

shushu
10-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Hockey fans in this city are never satisfied, rightly or wrongly. Fans complained about Maxwell not being able to control himself (year long suspension) and his players. They complained about him not dealing Mark Smith and Shane Willis the year following the run to the Mem Cup final. Then there were the complaints about Rocky Saginuik and Mikko Makela. Fans then complained about the hiring of Stocker as GM because he had no hockey experiences. Then they complained about his choice for coach Lindsay Hofford and his treatment of players (Kris Versteeg comes to mind). Then the complaints about GM Stasiuk and the deals he made. And if my memory serves me correctly, the same complaints about Michael Dyck not showing "emotion" on the bench and favouring certain players. Now it is Preston's turn. Common theme, fans are never satisfied. All of you who are complaining about the lack of trade action.....well think about this for a second. Of the 22 teams in the WHL 14 of them are at or near the .500 mark or below. 9 of those teams are in the East. Just how easy would it be for any GM to make a deal when so many teams are not sure which way they will be headed? Oh sure there have been some minor deals, but nothing of the earth shattering fashion. I would bet a great steak dinner, that Preston has looked for a deal that would bring him another fwd and defenseman, but the price is either too high or teams are unwilling to make a deal at this time. I agree with the other comments, had you told me that after 13 games the team would be at .500 without Fyten in the lineup, I would not have believed it.
This is a team that is rebuilding.....(I know we hate that word) but considering what a mess and lack of talent that Preston inherited, we are on the right road to recovery. Just because we do not see Preston and Kabayama jumping up and down on the bench, or yelling at refs or players, does not mean they are not coaching. We do not know what goes on in the dressing room before, duriing and after games. We do not see the "teaching" that goes on during practices. Thank goodness Preston is not a Steve Pleau!

Sidenote..........With the way the Pats are going, that 1st round pick that the Hurricanes have now, could be the 1st overall! Oh and who did we give up for it? Carter Ashton, who the Pats are already trying to deal away.
GO CANES GO!

are you really trying to say all those people that you mentioned in your post were something that people shouldn't and wouldn't of complained about? stocker as gm? that one speaks for itself.. hofford and stasiak, 2 people that treated teenagers like garbage...and god only knows the other thing we didn't even hear about those 2 retards.....if you think this is acceptable behavior you have more problems than you know... as for makela and Saginuik you were oviously not at those games because i was and they sucked.....everyone on this site has their opinion, i myself never said preston was a bad coach. you dont spend 10+ years in the nhl by sheer luck...but believe me the things you mentioned WERE thing worth complaining about..........ps i think preston gets run up the flag pole for the simple reason that people in this town are tired of failure,and i dont blame them.. and until he proves he can turn thing around he will be under the microscope until then....an rightly so....

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
10-29-2010, 04:03 PM
I trying to say that no one should be complaining or should have complained about the string of GM's and Coaches that have guided the Hurricanes over the last several years. Rightly or wrongly each of the people have been complained about. All I am trying to say is that it seems that the complaining never ends, whether we have a winning team or not. Outside of the teams of 89-90-91, 96 and 07 we have not had much success for a variety of reasons. If a coach or gm does not immediately produce (regardless of what they are walking into) then the complaining starts. Heck the fans were complaining about Preston only a few weeks into the season last year and look at the mess he inherited. I will give him credit, he has stockpiled a lot of young talent and future draft picks....that is a sign of a good GM. What he does with the talent and those picks will also be a testament to his success. Do the fans in this city expect too much too soon? Do they not realize what Preston kind of a team was left when he got here? I would bet there still would be complaining if we had a team like the Brandon Wheat Kings who lost only 8 games back in 79. Yes we fans are tired of what has gone on over the last several years, but so is the never ending litany of complaints.

Positive note.....Wheat Kings are struggling big time! :groovy:

GO CANES GO!

ZAMBONI-PHONEY
10-29-2010, 04:05 PM
I trying to say that no one should be complaining or should have complained about the string of GM's and Coaches that have guided the Hurricanes over the last several years. Rightly or wrongly each of the people have been complained about. All I am trying to say is that it seems that the complaining never ends, whether we have a winning team or not. Outside of the teams of 89-91, 96 and 07 we have not had much success for a variety of reasons. If a coach or gm does not immediately produce (regardless of what they are walking into) then the complaining starts. Heck the fans were complaining about Preston only a few weeks into the season last year and look at the mess he inherited. I will give him credit, he has stockpiled a lot of young talent and future draft picks....that is a sign of a good GM. What he does with the talent and those picks will also be a testament to his success or failure. Do the fans in this city expect too much too soon? Do they not realize what Preston kind of a team was left when he got here? I would bet there still would be complaining if we had a team like the Brandon Wheat Kings who lost only 8 games back in 79. Yes we fans are tired of what has gone on over the last several years, but so is the never ending litany of complaints.

Positive note.....Wheat Kings are struggling big time! :groovy:

GO CANES GO!

grainbear
10-29-2010, 06:36 PM
I really love the comments , guys both pro and con. We fight like cats and dogs and then we it comes to our Team we are like newly weds in the heart like tub. Keep it up ladies and gentlemen we all believe in these kids and I know you are there even when you are pissed off and that is what makes us great fans. See you saturday at the game

patsdude114
10-29-2010, 10:33 PM
GO CANES GO!

ummm have u seen the standing lately & how well the pats r playing? our biggest problem was defense & ever since Schnieder & Bidlevskii have entered the Pats line up the Pats defense is alot stronger. Scoring goals isnt our problem. Ashton has been playing better as of late & if he can keep it going the Pats wont need to trade him. That pick u guys r getting from us definately wont be 1st overall pick.

Dutchie
10-30-2010, 10:15 AM
What this team needs is to pick up the pace! They are far to slow coming out of their own zone and are constantly slowing up waiting for teammates to set up a play instead of going hard to the net. Their break-out passes are far to predictable an often interceped. Also,when they don't have the puck they spend to much time chasing it around instead of anticipating where it should be. Time to pick it up boys.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
11-06-2010, 07:24 PM
bench last night in Cranbrook and the Canes win. Maybe he actually reads this board....NOT....but others around him do, and maybe he caught a bit of a hint. I listened to Pat's awesome broadcast last night and it was Preston's most animated:mad: and involved:clap: night ever on the Cane's bench.
In Pat's pre-game show tonight he asked Rich about that and Preston snickered/giiggled about it. Then he said he did it for various reasons, for whatever that means.
GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!1

shushu
11-07-2010, 02:29 AM
great job canes, that was a fun game to watch and keep it going tomorrow night against the hat.....3 times the charm for the home team.......................................

NumberOneCaniac
11-07-2010, 12:03 PM
The last 2 games were great to watch.....never give up...kept on digging. Both games were a great team effort. Let's carry that on tonight when the Kitties come to town.....

NB....I wonder if anyone else noticed ....the Canes coaching staff on the bench during the warm up? Haven't seen other teams coaches do that...but our teams coaches have been out there since the first home game.....:clap:

thehurricane
11-09-2010, 12:20 AM
funny how noone ever gives the hurricane the thanks when they have a big weekend like the one they just had all it ever consists of is people finding stupid new things to ***** about. You all try to blame it on the team or the coaching... anyone ever stop to think about the fact that everytime in the league has its down times??? like look at the hitmen now that is a coach that has no idea what he is doing with a team....STOP BASHING OUR COACHES AND PLAYERS AND MAYBE START COMING TO THE GAMES AND CHEERING LOUD FOR THE KIDS WHO COME OUT AND PLAY THEIR ASSES OFF FOR YOU. CHEER FOR THE GOOD AND STOP TRYING TO BLAME THE COACHES FOR LOSSES AND ACCEPT THE FACT THAT EVERY TEAM LOSES NOW AND THEN.:burningmad::burningmad:

scrawny69
11-09-2010, 01:23 PM
:clown: Look buddy this forum is here for us to complain Or cheer whichever it is we may choose to do!!! If you dont like it find somewhere else to troll!!! I would say that most of us on here "complaining" are season ticket holders and are at the very least AT the home games cheering loud and yes B*&%#^ loud!!

this team really needs to find a way to bring other peoples butts into the seats!!
ANY ideas??