PDA

View Full Version : Canes Goalie Masks

Dmac_Oilfan
10-31-2010, 08:58 PM
How come Lethbridge Hurricane goalies never have their masks custom painted? Is it cost thing? Superstition? Club rule? Just curious. Normally custom paint is the norm on all other WHL teams goalies. One would think it would be easy for Anderson or Tait to find an artist willing to paint there helmets.

RDRebelsfan
10-31-2010, 10:25 PM
It's likely just a general team rule, or yes costs are a thing. They're not the only team, the Rebels goalies have never had custom paint designs. Kelowna's goaltenders don't have custom designs.

WorkHorse
10-31-2010, 10:45 PM
On many teams custom painted masks are not paid for by the team. If you want one, you pay for it yourself. Some guys aren't that motivated. Painting costs can range from $500-$1000 depending on the artist.

O&C
11-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Good question...
Although it has been a while, the Canes goalies HAVE had painted masks in the past... Logan Koopans, Bake Ward, and I [I]think Aaron Sorochan all had their masks painted as Hurricanes.
The last guy to have a painted mask was Mike Maniago but he only wore it for a few games then went back to the white one.
I think the team should chip in to get their starting goaltender an airbrushed mask. All the "big deal" teams have painted masks (Calgary, Vancouver, Spokane), but the Med Hat, Regina, and Saskatoon goalies almost always have painted masks without being huge city teams.

I personally find that a painted mask and matching equipment makes the whole team look more professional. The Canes goalies normally only have plain white pads, glove, and blocker...

In the end it really doesnt matter what the goalies wear as long as they perform.

Good question though..

CanesCrazy
11-02-2010, 06:26 AM
Linden Rowat had a painted mask and he got it done while he was in Lethbridge.