PDA

View Full Version : Star Phoenix editorial on lack of fan support

BladesFan_2010
11-05-2010, 10:39 AM
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/opinion/letters/World+juniors+blame+Blades+attendance/3761986/story.html

Check out this link. That's the problem with young people today, full of opinions but not smart enough to do proper research before embarrassing themselves with uninformed comments.

What do you think?

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Yes he definitely should have done more research. This could be a very long argument. So I do not see the point in wasting my breathe.

He and every other hockey fan in Saskatoon (myself included) should just be happy that we have a Major Junior team to support. I am not saying the Blades would ever move. Although there was talk about it.

Everyone makes mistakes and they hopefully learn from them.

Rye
11-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm just wondering, what's your problem with this? He's bang on.

BladesFan_2010
11-05-2010, 12:25 PM
You're kidding, right?

First of all, if we didn't have a rink with the seating capacity of CUC, we wouldn't be able to attend any of the concerts that you have probably attended in the past. If we went with something slightly larger in capacity than "the barn", we'd have to spend the money to build a CUC anyhow to attract the concerts and trade shows.

There is a hockey fan base here, remember game 7 vs. Lethbridge a couple years back? When the Blades won game 6 of that series, the seventh game SOLD OUT.

The other thing this kid is way off base on are the ushers being old and rude. This kid needs to get his head out of his ass and learn some proper etiquette. The reason you are to "stay behind the line" as it were is because when the play is going on, you don't need someone to be going back to their seats to disrupt you. I mean seriously now, with the prices they charge for season tickets, not to mention individual game tickets as well, you should have the right to watch the game without being interrupted. It's like going to the theatre to watch the movie you've been waiting all year to see, only to have people constantly coming and going right in front of you.

lordstanley
11-05-2010, 12:57 PM
I know i pay for my ticket and stand in front of the yellow line all game long it is great viewing i don't get in the way of anyone at all best spot to view a game in my opinion right above section G is the best

Dwight Schrute
11-05-2010, 01:04 PM
You're kidding, right?

First of all, if we didn't have a rink with the seating capacity of CUC, we wouldn't be able to attend any of the concerts that you have probably attended in the past. If we went with something slightly larger in capacity than "the barn", we'd have to spend the money to build a CUC anyhow to attract the concerts and trade shows.

There is a hockey fan base here, remember game 7 vs. Lethbridge a couple years back? When the Blades won game 6 of that series, the seventh game SOLD OUT.

The other thing this kid is way off base on are the ushers being old and rude. This kid needs to get his head out of his ass and learn some proper etiquette. The reason you are to "stay behind the line" as it were is because when the play is going on, you don't need someone to be going back to their seats to disrupt you. I mean seriously now, with the prices they charge for season tickets, not to mention individual game tickets as well, you should have the right to watch the game without being interrupted. It's like going to the theatre to watch the movie you've been waiting all year to see, only to have people constantly coming and going right in front of you.

well it costs 24.40$ bucks for my ticket alone, when i go. beer, popcorn pop, everything is ridiculously high. and yes its crazy that the renos for the world jr's is being paid for by the fans. the lack of media coverage hurts too. but in todays world. with the huge rent and housing costs, who can afford a 24.40 ticket, and then while your there they try to squeeze every dime out of you they can.

BladesFan_2010
11-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Didn't the Blades get funding for the upgrades to CUC? I don't think they took out a loan, I am sure they got funding for it somehow.

Hockey Spy
11-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Some of the biggest complaints I hear about are the location of the arena. It is very tough for senior citizens and students to make it out to the games. If it would've been a downtown or even near the university location, I would guarantee that you would see another 1500 fans their per game and it would be a much more lively crowd as well.

Dwight Schrute
11-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Some of the biggest complaints I hear about are the location of the arena. It is very tough for senior citizens and students to make it out to the games. If it would've been a downtown or even near the university location, I would guarantee that you would see another 1500 fans their per game and it would be a much more lively crowd as well.

yeah the location really hurts. and its what over an hour by bus from the university ?

lostsheep
11-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Look its as simple as this, When i go to an Edmonton Eskimo game i park down at the Kingsway mall and my game ticket is the bus ticket to get to the stadium, if Saskatoon dosent do this for the games IT SHOULD. There is nothing wrong with having a few dedicated buses running from dedicated locations to the rink. If Urban spraw is to blame then stop the spread of your city untill there is better public transporation. There, there is no excuse about the location of the rink. The prices for a beer, and food is a little bit much, But its expensive at any rink of football game ive been too. The ticket prices are average, and if you only go to a game or two it is pricey, but my season tickets are half the price they are in edmonton. tere is a letter about that comment in the next days paper as well. May be our promoters should be giving student packages with student ID's. Im not sure but we have a great venue, and with out it we would be left wanting more.
________
Loan protection insurance forums (http://www.insurance-forums.org/loan-protection-insurance/)

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I take the bus to each and every game. It takes me 30 minutes to go from 8th street ( where I work) to the CUC. When I take the bus from home it takes me about the same time. They have buses going to the exhibtion in the summer time from all areas of the city,and it would make things easier if they did that for the Blades games as well.

lostsheep
11-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I agree there is no reason there shouldnt be dedicated public transport to the games. Just think for the "GREEN NESS" of it, less traiffic in and out of the rink, less polution, and a bus full of Blades fans! What a blast. There ya go Renegade tell the team to put pressure on the city for more busses.:)... I drive 400Km per game round trip so i dont think there should be any trouble for any city dweller to get to the games. JUST DO IT!!
________
Rhode Island Medical Marijuana Dispensary (http://rhodeisland.dispensaries.org/)

Dwight Schrute
11-07-2010, 01:28 AM
I take the bus to each and every game. It takes me 30 minutes to go from 8th street ( where I work) to the CUC. When I take the bus from home it takes me about the same time. They have buses going to the exhibtion in the summer time from all areas of the city,and it would make things easier if they did that for the Blades games as well.

30 min is much better then i thought.

lordstanley
11-07-2010, 02:41 AM
Weird cause it takes me a hour and i live near the university

i need a GO GO GADGET HELICOPTER :bounce:

Rye
11-07-2010, 03:08 PM
You're kidding, right?

Yes, I do remember game 7. People came out because it was the last time they would see the Blades until the next season. How about all of the other playoff games there? It was only slightly over the season average. Where were the other five thousand fans that attended game 7?

Yes, Saskatoon does have a good hockey fan base but due to high prices is the exact reason people don't go. Everything is ridiculous! A ticket is over $20, if you go with a friend, get something to eat, maybe have a beer ... that's around $55 for 2 people. It's silly, and I don't think location is much of a problem, you can get there within half an hour from anywhere in the city as long as you take the major roads ... and drive the speed limit.

SectionNDeserter
11-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Yes, Saskatoon does have a good hockey fan base but due to high prices is the exact reason people don't go. Everything is ridiculous! A ticket is over $20, if you go with a friend, get something to eat, maybe have a beer ... that's around $55 for 2 people. It's sillyWow! $27.50 for 3 or 4 hours of entertainment?!? That is pretty steep.... If you are eleven years old. 3-4% of Saskatoon and its impressive hinterland would provide a fairly impressive crowd, I have a very hard time believing that the cost or value of the entertainment could be the problem.

Rye
11-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Entertainment? The last game I went to was against Spokane and apart from the first ten minutes, the rest of the game was boring. I like watching these young guys work their way up to professional hockey but most people here in Saskatoon want to watch someone special. World Juniors and the NHL preseason games got good crowds because there were people to watch. Who does Saskatoon have that's really spectacular?

Again, I don't put myself in with the people that think like that because I know there is lots of good young talent on the team but there isn't a "superstar" name that is going to draw in crowds. It sucks ...

lostsheep
11-07-2010, 07:45 PM
sounds a little superficial to me. Did you go to an Oiler game last year?? not very entertaining but the fans still went to the games! Last time i checked Hockey was a team sport, i support the team not a superstar. That superstar is only as good as the players around him.BAck to back playoff years and a very good start to the season is enough to garner the support of this City. If its not enough, watch this team go away and the city have nothing. Stop thinking like this is a small town and get out there. If the price for food is too much eat at home, really!!... Excited for 10min then bored, maybe if more true fans came out and were alot louder it may get a bit better in there!!:mad:
________
LovelyWendie (http://www.lovelywendie99.com/)

Rye
11-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Take it easy, I said I don't think like that, I would love to go to more games but it's not really possible when you're going to school and don't have enough time for a job.

You can't really compare a junior team to an NHL team, that's the best league in the world, the WHL may be the best junior league but there aren't that many people that care about junior as much, even if they do live in a city with a junior hockey team.

As far as the games go, I've been to many over the last 6 years, it's some really good hockey and it's neat being able to watch these guys and recognize them when they're in the show, but sometimes there are boring games ... that was one of them, it had it's moments, and there were quite a few people there, but it lacked excitement until the final 4 minutes when they hit 3 posts.

I do eat at home, don't worry about that but come on, $6.50 for 1 beer? $3.25 for a small cup of fries? You have to admit, the prices are just a tad high ...

lostsheep
11-08-2010, 07:39 AM
A bit high maybe but it is the only show in town, if a NHl team was to move here the Blades would be gone, and that would be a disapointment. IMHO a NHL team would never move here there is not enogh support for a junoir team, why would there be for an NHL team. The NHL is just a place for overpaid, babies. You think tickets and beer is pricy now, see what happens if the NHL moves in. then there would be entertainment to watch at all. Season tickets are the way to go if you want a cheaper seat, i know its still expensive so maybe we should try to get the team to offer a student discount. i think they should be targeting the univercity as a fan base, but need to offer reduced rates, no different than seniors.
________
Nexium Settlement Info (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/nexium/)

BigCat20
11-08-2010, 08:39 AM
They have tried to go after the students before......$99 student ticket with purchase of adult. Students dont have enough disposable income. They are focusing on the 25-45 yr old crowd that will buy more than one over price beers. Thats who the sponsors are geared towards too. Then hopefully they get a buddy or 2 to come. CUC/the city are to blame for the costs too. The B.O.D.(who atch is head of) decided to reno seats, who then dictate to the blades how much $$$ they want for them. CUC is one cashing in on the beer prices cuz they buy the beer from Great Western for a stupidly low price(under $1/can).

No one reason is to blame for low attendance but I think we support winners. Who'd go, if Canada didnt always contend in the wjhc. The riders couldnt sell out a few yrs ago when they werent winning. A deep playoff run would do wonders. Prove to the city they play exciting hockey & in turn the blades will make more $$$ with the increased playoff ticket prices. Then maybe more people would come back the next year.

If anyone thinks they know the "secret" to getting more people in seats, then they should apply to the open ticket sales position. They've gone thru a few people.......maybe cuz of bulk of the salary is commision based!