PDA

View Full Version : Siemens

sbtatter
11-08-2010, 04:16 PM
So how do you guys think he's progressing? is he still a top 10 NHL draft pick? I think so, but I've only seen him once so far this year, interested in your opinions....

RenegadeStylings
11-08-2010, 04:57 PM
I think he is still on track to be top 15-20. He could be like McIlrath last year and be picked higher than some people expect though (possibly top 10)

His offensive game is improving almost daily, and his reads on when to pinch get better and better. His patience with the puck on the blueline (especially on the PP) is improving as well. He has used his shot more recently than he did at the start of the year and that's a good thing, because it's actually a pretty hard shot.

The most impressive thing for me is his skating. For a guy his size he moves really well laterally and is fast enough to catch high end players in a foot race (just look at the play against Etem in the last Med Hat game highlights (@ 2:40 of the video on the Blades site)). Etem would have burned MANY defenseman in this league on that play, especially 17 year old players.

Mix all that in with his toughness and physical play and some teams will (and already are) drooling over his potential. He should make a very very nice looking NHL defenseman.

Rye
11-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Bang on right there, just wanted to add that his poise and discipline is very good. If he gets upset with himself, he'll keep it to himself, he won't go out being a goon and taking penalties. He goes to the bench, sucks it up, and goes out there and tries to improve consistently.

wango tango
11-08-2010, 09:59 PM
what impresses me most about siemens is his poise. doesn't panic, calmly takes care of his assignment and the puck. his skating is excellent. i can see a lot of nhl teams wanting what he has shown already, should those same nhl teams be of the impression he also has more offensive potential, i'd think he would be a top 10 selection, top 15 definitely.

RenegadeStylings
11-08-2010, 10:04 PM
As far as his offensive potential, I don't think he will ever be a powerplay quarterback at the NHL level, but he will be a solid trigger man.

Someone that can stand just inside the blueline and hammer one-timers. Almost like a Sheldon Souray type of player.

lordstanley
11-08-2010, 11:00 PM
For some reason when i think Siemens i think Scott Stevens and man was Stevens a bruiser put up the odd points as well

RenegadeStylings
11-09-2010, 12:05 AM
I think an alright comparison for Siemens is Ed Jovanovski. Solid both ways, good skater, physical and with good offensive instincts. Although I'm not sure Siemens will ever be as good offensively as Jovo is/was.

lordstanley
11-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Jovo cop is overated never liked the guy at all

twentyone
11-09-2010, 09:34 AM
And just think if we wouldn't of traded Setoguchi a few years back we wouldn't have Elliot or Siemens.

I still laugh at how mad some fans were when Lorne traded Seto.

sbtatter
11-09-2010, 10:18 AM
And just think if we wouldn't of traded Setoguchi a few years back we wouldn't have Elliot or Siemens.

I still laugh at how mad some fans were when Lorne traded Seto. It's the sort of return I hope we get fron Schenn (if he's sent back) or Glennie

Hockey Spy
11-09-2010, 10:27 AM
you may get a similar return for Schenn, maybe a touch less.

Glennie, I think you could probably score what the Blades did for Rabbit which was a 2nd rounder which turned in to Thrower or Sutter in the end.