PDA

View Full Version : Pats at the deadline (?)

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Got this idea from the blades thread, and the fact that last year the Carter Ashton blockbuster took place at the beginning of December so the pats might start early again.

Aside from trading the entire team for new players like some people want, what do some of you want to see done at the deadline? What players would you like to see get the pats get/move? Or even players you want really want to stay.

Try to be realistic with these trades. We probably arent getting nugent hopkins or Pickard. When I say be realistic, whlking, this means you too. The simpler the better. Player for a pick type trades will be treated more seriously than 6 or 7 team bonanza trades.

MJ Fan
11-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Frazee for a bag of pucks :)

Aston for a 17 or 18 yr old forward and a high pick (or two).

patsdude114
11-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Try to be realistic with these trades. We probably arent getting nugent hopkins or Pickard. When I say be realistic, whlking, this means you too. The simpler the better. Player for a pick type trades will be treated more seriously than 6 or 7 team bonanza trades.

OMG did i laugh so hard when i read that SAJ cuz it is so true.....

As for players id like to see moved & or brought in, i really think trading Ketlo to a team in contention would be a great move. As many of u r thinking no 1 would want him im not saying trade him there to be there starter he would be prob the best backup in the league put him on a quality team which they could have some confidence in if there starter got hurt. As we all know (BRN fans mainly) goaltending is the most key position in the game of hockey & without it u got nothing (isnt that right BRN from last year)

Also i can see Frazee being dealt closer to the deadline in a swap of 20 yr olds & the pats getting a 6th(ish) rd pick, Frazee is a big body with talent. I could see a possible package deal with Frazee & Ashton going in the same deal. Both have great size can skate & have skill & any team with any serious thought of a playoff run would be stupid not to look at both these players. A team that comes to mind right away is the Red Deer Rebels they have 1 of the top 3 goalies in the Eastern Conference in Kuemper & lets face it Ferguson isnt what ud call a top 20 yr old by any means. If teams want to compete with Saskatoon in the size department they must get bigger but yet still be able to skate & i really like the style of play RD plays & think both Ashton & Frazee would be great fits there, hell even Ketlo there as Kuemper's backup would really make them a serious threat in the playoffs.

I know this is all opinions & others will see it differently but i truely think RD could be a threat come playoff time (& its only NOV) but with the roster RD has as of today they would be tough to get past the 2nd round. Add 2 quality guys like Frazee & Ashton makes them bigger & tougher to play against.

witness
11-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Here are the state of affairs as we know them:
1. The 15 year old crop is a good one 6 or 7 guys that have a legitimate shot at being WHL players.
2. The short coming is the 16 and 17 year olds
3. there is a need to recover a first rounder for 2011 (or a high 2nd rounder)
4. Current defense is young. Might want to look at a 16 year old.

Portland has a fine young team that could make a push for the championship. I think that Carter Ashton would be very attractive to them and they have the assets to go after him. I would trade him straight up for Taylor Leier a 16 year old RW from Saskatoon. I would also consider Brayden Holloway (a 17 year old LW from MJ) and a 4th.

Portland's back end is quite young and they might have an interest in Brandon Davidson. I just don't know if trading Davidson makes a ton of sense.

Vancouver is an interesting case. I don't think that they are realistically a contender. If anything, I would say they would be interested in Weal. This is where the Pats could recover a 1st rounder. They would also be interested in Frazee. They need a bit of size up front and were hoping to address that with McNaught (who is now injuried for the long term). Maybe Weal and Frazee for Matt Mackay. 2010 1st round and 2011 3rd round?

I also know that Saskatoon has kicked the tires on Weal. The one thing that team needs is a game breaker. They have a ton of depth. I just can't see them giving up Olsen. Maybe Weal for Dietz (a 17 year old d man from Lethbridge), Levi Bews and a 2011 2nd rounder. I would ask a lot because the last place I would want to send a player of Weal's petigree is to a team within our division.

there is also the possiblity of Ketlo. He is playing pretty well and there could be a market out there. I would imagine that Red Deer would be the most interested. Right now they are going with a 16 year old back up. If Kuemper is out for any length of time, they would miss that experience in net. RD may look at something at the dealine date. I can't see a player coming back. Maybe Ketlo for a 2011 and 2013 4th rounders.

Thoughts?

lostsheep
11-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Weal in a Blades unifom would be a great sight. Not sure about the asking price but the upside of Weal would make the price be significant for sure, depends on what you would want, and IMO Olsen would not be up for grabs.
________
NEW JERSEY DISPENSARIES (http://newjersey.dispensaries.org/)

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-10-2010, 05:26 PM
I think if the pats want to trade you 18 year old 100 point scoring center, anything asset the pats want should be up for grabs. Its not an offer than comes around every year.

That being said, I, as well as the pats staff im sure, dont relish the idea of facing Weal on a division rival for a season and a half. He would burn us EVERY game.

lordstanley
11-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Weal in a Blades unifom would be a great sight. Not sure about the asking price but the upside of Weal would make the price be significant for sure, depends on what you would want, and IMO Olsen would not be up for grabs.

Why even waste your time thinking about getting WEAl it wont happen he is 18 so give your head a shake :D

patsdude114
11-10-2010, 06:47 PM
There is no way the Pats will trade Weal this season unless he askes to be traded. Weal is 18yrs old & most likely going to be in junior during his 20 yr old season as well due to his size. So thats another 2 yrs with him in the WHL.

Davidson would be a asset that any contending team would want on there team. Yes not the most offensive guy but plays a solid 2 way game & prob 1 of the best stick checkers in our division if not the conference (ive heard alot of scouts who sit up by me talk about his stick check)

Ketlo i could really see being dealt & if i was a betting man (which i used to be) id put money down that he goes to RD within the next 6 weeks. Which i am very confident in going forward with Hewitt as the starter & giving him as many games as possible.

No 1 has mentioned anything about Mitchell as of yet, not a game breaker by any means but his hard work & toughness (pound for pound) can not be over looked. He is a vetern 19 yr old who will pay any price to win a game.

west coast
11-10-2010, 08:24 PM
a very interesting thread.After much thought on the fiasco of not trading Eberle and Teubert last season.The Pats should consider trading all assets especially if it means building for the future. I look at Portland . a team that drafted 15 of their players and listed the the other two.Sometimes . you can build thru the draft but when those draft picks become busts then the team must make trades to get better.Surely,Frazee,Weal.Ashton.Mitchell,Reddin,a nd Schneider could bring the Pats younger prospects and picks .It would be nice for the Pats to obtain some more character grinders.The third or fourth lines should be energy lines . making big hits and eating icetime so that the first two lines that are scorers can get some rest.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-10-2010, 10:33 PM
The way I look at it is not to desperately trade anything with value, but to trade a couple strong players for future assets, and keep the players that are what you want for leaders on your team. The objective should be to create that winning culture and it all starts from hard work and positive leaders.

For example, a guy like Reddin is good to have around the team. He blocks shots, hussles and has enough skill to get by. And Mitchell is a good influence on the team as well. I also agree on Weal, you should not trade a player like him unless you really have to. And I might be crazy, but unless we get something really good for Frazee, Id like to see him finish his tenure as a pat. Even after trading a few guys for futures, I wouldnt call a playoff spot completely out of reach, and he is just a great player to have around. With Ketlo, he is starting to settle into the starters role a little more, as he has put together a solid games in a row. I was worried for a bit, but he has definitely claimed the starters role for his own. Id leave him be for now.

The only guy I know for sure will(should) be gone is Ashton. He is starting to come around and is looking like a legit first line guy, but we need the future assets he can bring back in a trade. I could really see us trading him to Red Deer, being that they dont really have a power forward, and in general lack size up front. Their culture of hard working can be good for him, and I think that being on a contender, he will flourish offensively. Id be happy with a 17-18 year old forward and a second round pick coming back.

And I know we are going to trade some defencemen to make room for the young kids coming in next year. Im not sure who will go, but I can really see Davidson bringing back something good in return.

And I want a goon, damnit. Bring over Abney for a prospect!

west coast
11-10-2010, 11:30 PM
i agree with you SAJ,that you should not make trades just for the sake of trading players.Lang recognized when he stepped in that the team was too small so he addressed that problem.To be honest ,there are holes in all areas on this team.Goaltending is up and down and they still have 3 goalies,could Lang recieve a prospect for Guhle? The forwards desperately need some toughness.Someone willing to hustle,forcheck,and deliver hits.Abney is not a goon but an effective forward that bangs and crashes and will get you points.The Oilers are high on him .What would it take to land him? There seems to be alot of dman ,could the Pats part with Spooner .There are some good young dman coming up in the system and it would be nice to make room for them to develop especially if the playoffs seem out of reach.

lostsheep
11-11-2010, 10:43 AM
As much as i would like to see Weal in a baldes shirt there is no way you should trade him he is a good building point. you do have a few good trades baits in the bag. Dont sell yourselves short, if you can put together a few games like the one against the blades,or like last night you never know where you could be closer to the deadline.
________
Paxil Settlement Info (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

west coast
11-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Moose Jaw Warriors have a couple of players playing junior a that are there for whatever reason but could help out the Pats.!8 year old goalie Brandon Glover,and !9 year old defenceman Clint Atkinson.The Pats could trade Guhle and Spooner

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I dont think either would be big upgrades. And glover is supposedly a bit of a headcase.

I think Spooners gone in the offseason anyways.

animalx
11-11-2010, 10:35 PM
If Weal were to go anywhere it would be close to home (Vancouver). A first round pick and Bret Lyon and Matt Bellerive.

I would Trade Blidstrand, Blidlevski, and Ashton to Red Deer for Kudrna, Petrovic and a 3rd Rounder. This would be a farely even up trade and allow the Pats to stop playing with 7 d-men :mad: .

patsdude114
11-12-2010, 02:08 PM
If Weal were to go anywhere it would be close to home (Vancouver). A first round pick and Bret Lyon and Matt Bellerive.

I would Trade Blidstrand, Blidlevski, and Ashton to Red Deer for Kudrna, Petrovic and a 3rd Rounder. This would be a farely even up trade and allow the Pats to stop playing with 7 d-men :mad: .

U do understand that this trade is a complete waste of time & a deal that wouldnt make any sense for RD at all right? They do get Ashton for 3rd pick tho (which is a laughing stock at u) Petrovic is easily in the top 10 D in our conference & Kudrna is definately 1 of the top euros in our conference if not league as well. Give ur head a shake bud!